2014-2015 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMG OMG OMG!!! II JUST NOW!!! SO HAPPY SURPRISED ELATED AND SURPRISED AGAIN!!! OMG NOW I HAVE TO RUSH TO THE FREE CLINIC I VOLUNTEER AT AND TRY NOT TO FREAK OUT!!
Congrats!! When were you complete? Hoping to hear back soon too!

Members don't see this ad.

I received an II here last week! Complete in mid July

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang! Congrats! I'm still hoping for an II after being complete in early July so you really give me hope! :)

Good luck!
Thank you! Good luck to you as well! Hopefully you can snag one of the last invites!

Dr. Cunningham,

I am an IS student and I was recently offered an interview. I signed up for the only available date, January 12th. Is it possible to change my interview to an earlier date if a spot becomes available?

Also, as UA-Phx has a rolling admissions process and I am interviewing on the last possible date, am I at a disadvantage compared to other applicants still in the pool that have already interviewed?

Thank you for your help!

Dr. Cunningham,

I am an IS student and I was recently offered an interview. I signed up for the only available date, January 12th. Is it possible to change my interview to an earlier date if a spot becomes available?

Also, as UA-Phx has a rolling admissions process and I am interviewing on the last possible date, am I at a disadvantage compared to other applicants still in the pool that have already interviewed?

Thank you for your help!

This is disheartening. I guess this means that interview invitations are over? Congrats on your invite nonetheless!

Dr. Cunningham,

For those of us that are still under review, will a decision either way be sent once all interview spots have been offered?

Thank you!

This is disheartening. I guess this means that interview invitations are over? Congrats on your invite nonetheless!

I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption. For Tucson, I only had one date to choose from that was certainly not the last interview date.

Reactions: 1 user
Dr. Cunningham,

Thank you for your help!

Offers are regulated over the year so not to disadvantage those interviewing later.

Dr. Cunningham,

For those of us that are still under review, will a decision either way be sent once all interview spots have been offered?

Thank you!

We will wrap up interview decisions after our supplemental deadline expires (Dec 1). We will release everyone remaining by mid-Dec, but may keep a few on an interview waitlist should anyone cancel for the final day (January 12).

Dr. Cunningham, is it possible to get any feedback on our applications (in particular for nontrad applicants)? Thank you for being so proactive and transparent about the admissions process.

Edit: Omitted self-explanatory question.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Cunningham, is it possible to get any feedback on our applications (in particular for nontrad applicants)? Thank you for being so proactive and transparent about the admissions process.

Edit: Omitted self-explanatory question.

Great question and honestly we struggle with the volume of requests and balancing our desire to help out. Our solution to this has been to host workshops that position the conversation around self-reflection - we will queue these up again in the spring.

I just received the most amazing phone call from Dr. Cunningham. Accepted!!! This is my first of the season and I am positively thrilled!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I just received the most amazing phone call from Dr. Cunningham. Accepted!!! This is my first of the season and I am positively thrilled!!!

Congrats! So excited for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Best phone call ever from Dr. Cunningham this morning! WILL BE MATRICULATING TO UA-PHOENIX CLASS OF 2019!!!! I loved everything about this school, and getting accepted here has been my goal since high school! Couldn't be more thankful and elated! :D Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys a facebook group has been started for the class of 2019. It's called: "The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix, Class of 2019"
Use this group to get to know each other, share insights about the school, etc. :)
I've been unable to find this group. Is it hidden? Can't wait to meet everyone!

Dr. Cunningham,

Is there a set date that decisions will go out for those of us interviewing on January 12?

Dr. Cunningham,

Is there a set date that decisions will go out for those of us interviewing on January 12?

Yes, February 27.

Our committee meets every two weeks and this will be our last selection for MD candidates.

Yes, February 27.

Our committee meets every two weeks and this will be our last selection for MD candidates.
This may be a dumb question, but just to clarify-- Does that mean then, that you have already sent out all of the interview invites for the cycle? I haven't received a rejection e-mail yet, but if notice of the final committee meeting has been sent to candidates who have all already scheduled interviews, then I'm assuming no more slots remain?

I don't mean this to be rude in any way (just couldn't think of a more eloquent way to infer about my status). I really appreciate your input on this thread, Dr. Cunningham.

Last edited:
This may be a dumb question, but just to clarify-- Does that mean then, that you have already sent out all of the interview invites for the cycle? I haven't received a rejection e-mail yet, but if notice of the final committee meeting has been sent to candidates who have all already scheduled interviews, then I'm assuming no more slots remain?

I don't mean this to be rude in any way (just couldn't think of a more eloquent way to infer about my status). I really appreciate your input on this thread, Dr. Cunningham.

We set our committee meetings before the season begins so that we are organized and ready to get to work! We meet 10 times (one meeting for every interview day).

We have approximately 20 interview invitations to still offer - all decisions will be wrapped up over the next 10 or so days. If you've not been released then you remain a contender for one of these interview invites.

Reactions: 3 users
I think there should be some updates tomorrow.

Those interviewed on Oct 13 and anyone retained from previous days will be updated tomorrow.

All final interview decisions will be sent no later than Tuesday, Dec. 16.

Reactions: 4 users
Dr. Cunningham,
Could you please provide an update on the Pathway Scholars Program? When will those who have applied to the program hear about an interview invitation?
Thank you.

Was great to talk with you earlier Dr. Cunningham, See you in the spring! :)

Probably means we're getting automatic acceptances.. Saving the best for last.

Last edited:
Officially rejected.

I am really not an entitled person but I honestly don't know what it takes to get into this school, my obvious top choice. As a reapplicant in an engineering master's degree with good stats, a MUCH better application, tons of extracurricular activities both medical and nonmedical (also quality>quantity), and a PERSONAL ENDORSEMENT from the Governor of AZ (ex-governor now), I feel like it takes a miracle for an AZ resident to get in.

For those of you who have been invited for an interview, congratulations. For those who got in, a HUGE congratulations. I don't want to take away from your happiness but I am just completely shocked and depressed at how this all turned out. The worst part? I will never know what they did not like about my application. Nothing quite like being dragged along from 7/2 until today, only for an inevitable rejection.

Good luck to you all.

Reactions: 2 users
Officially rejected.

I am really not an entitled person but I honestly don't know what it takes to get into this school, my obvious top choice. As a reapplicant in an engineering master's degree with good stats, a MUCH better application, tons of extracurricular activities both medical and nonmedical (also quality>quantity), and a PERSONAL ENDORSEMENT from the Governor of AZ (ex-governor now), I feel like it takes a miracle for an AZ resident to get in.

For those of you who have been invited for an interview, congratulations. For those who got in, a HUGE congratulations. I don't want to take away from your happiness but I am just completely shocked and depressed at how this all turned out. The worst part? I will never know what they did not like about my application. Nothing quite like being dragged along from 7/2 until today, only for an inevitable rejection.

Good luck to you all.

I feel you. Last year I was wait-listed. This year I increased my MCAT score dramatically, I worked with a physician who is one of the professors at the school, was working on getting some research published, etc etc only to be rejected this year without interview. I too will never know why they do not like me. I am sorry for you and wish you the best. Just know you're not alone in your confusion and extreme disappointment.

Rejected as well. In state re-applicant with 4 publications and lots of volunteering among many other things including a position as a medical scribe. Both years I did not receive an interview and I will never know what they are looking for. What a shame. Very disappointed as well...

Rejected as well. In state re-applicant with 4 publications and lots of volunteering among many other things including a position as a medical scribe. Both years I did not receive an interview and I will never know what they are looking for. What a shame. Very disappointed as well...
did you guys hear via the secondary app status or through email? still nothing here...

hmm. anybody else still waiting? I've got nothing on my app status nor an email in my increasingly lonely mailbox.

Officially rejected.

Good luck to you all.

Sorry to hear this. Did you spend a lot of time on your secondary? I feel like one of the things I did right for both AZ schools was to spent ALOT of time on my secondary...

Hello, rejected here as well, very disappointing. In state resident, re-applicant, high GPA/MCAT, more experience volunteering/working in the medical field. Interviewed last year and was wait-listed. Good luck to anyone still under consideration.

Sorry to hear this. Did you spend a lot of time on your secondary? I feel like one of the things I did right for both AZ schools was to spent ALOT of time on my secondary...

Because it was my top school I absolutely spent a great amount of time on the secondary essays. I also completely rewrote my personal statement and got 2 new very strong LORs. I mean the admissions committee probably keeps notes as to why they make certain decisions. I wish we could see them or know what they say somehow.

I'll be honest, I know there are small improvements I could have made on my app here and there, but to have them overshadow all my other qualifications? Absolutely disheartening.

Because it was my top school I absolutely spent a great amount of time on the secondary essays. I also completely rewrote my personal statement and got 2 new very strong LORs. I mean the admissions committee probably keeps notes as to why they make certain decisions. I wish we could see them or know what they say somehow.

I'll be honest, I know there are small improvements I could have made on my app here and there, but to have them overshadow all my other qualifications? Absolutely disheartening.

Do you know if Az-Phx is one of the schools that compares last year's app to this years side-by-side? What changes did you make to your app? I hope I don't have to be a reapplicant....the "what changed from last year to this year" question would be a difficult one for me to answer as well. Again, sorry for your disappointment. I have seen you posting on this thread since the beginning so I can understand how hurt you must feel. I do believe things happen for a reason, though, and with persistence you will get in somewhere great that wants you too.

i still haven't heard anything post-secondary...but the qualifications of the people who were rejected pre-II is certainly humbling. Best of luck to those rejected! I hope we get in somewhere this cycle.