2014-2015 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected 3.6/31 OOS.

1st one. Burns.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected.
OOS sGPA 3.71; cGPA 3.76 MCAT balanced 34.

They must not have liked my secondary responses.

Got rejected too:

Thank you for your interest in the entering class of 2015 at the University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix.

The Admissions Committee recently met and discussed your application. Regretfully, I am writing to share that the Admissions Committee has chosen to move forward without continued consideration of your application.

Unfortunately, feedback pertaining to your application is not available. I hope that sharing the outcome today will allow you to fully focus your efforts elsewhere.

Love this school! Good luck everyone!

Remember guys there are only 80 spots - this is a very hard school to get into

Remember guys there are only 80 spots - this is a very hard school to get into
great point... not only is it reasonably tough GPA MCAT wise, but 80 spots is a tiny class size

sorry to hear that. do you mind sharing your stats? i'm starting to get nervous.

LizzyM~75 (I'm looking to remain a little anonymous), OOS, submitted first week of July. I'm not too worried since I have IIs at some other great schools. I really liked UA Phoenix though too.

If your stats are close to the average I wouldn't worry too much. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that only a portion of the applications have been reviewed so far.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected as well. Really wanted a chance to be close to the Barrow Institute. :(

Ouch. ;____; Really sorry to hear about all these rejections (and from people with fantastic stats) but I respect Phoenix for letting everyone know sooner rather than later.

Hope everyone gets some good news this week! :luck:

Anyone here still hoping for Tucson ^^?

Reactions: 2 users
if 10% get interviews that means a whole lot of rejections -- just saying :hungover:

silence.... stayin alive..... complete early july

but I can feel itttt comminnnnn in the airrr toniiiiight

I've been offline for 4 hours and my gut just sank when I logged into this thread..... Best of luck to you all, sorry to those that got rejections. Hoping to stay alive in this knockout round. You are all amazing students!! As someone said earlier, there are only 80 seats and the competition is tough.

Was complete here on 07/02 and have heard nothing...no II and no rejection. The silence is killing me!

Dr. Cunningham,

How are reapplicants looked upon by the admissions committee? Positively or negatively?

I have heard nothing. Went under review more than a month ago so I assume I will eventually be included in this decision group.

Ya same here, I went under review exactly 4 weeks ago and have heard nothing. So two possibilities, either we were put "on hold" (hope not), or we simply haven't been reviewed yet. I guess the soonest we will hear back is first week of September.

Take it from someone who has been through this once, already: don't let this process get to you. You can't obsess; this is going to go on at least until next March. If you're really (un)lucky like I was, it will go on for a full year just to end unceremoniously when you don't get picked off waitlist. You will go insane, end up in rehab, or find yourself chasing imaginary butterflies into something highly illegal if you sweat and obsess over every little step.

Reactions: 3 users
Rough day in here yesterday :(. Sorry to all those who got bad news, but good luck with your other apps!

I went 'under review' in early July and haven't heard anything yet. Still holding out hope.

So sorry about the rejections. I am OOS Lizzy M ~68. I haven't heard a thing. No need to stress, it doesn't improve your chances.

Wait is there a status update in the portal when you go under review? I've been at complete since 7/28

It usually just says under review until you hear something more...

Take it from someone who has been through this once, already: don't let this process get to you. You can't obsess; this is going to go on at least until next March. If you're really (un)lucky like I was, it will go on for a full year just to end unceremoniously when you don't get picked off waitlist. You will go insane, end up in rehab, or find yourself chasing imaginary butterflies into something highly illegal if you sweat and obsess over every little step.

but the butterflies are so beautiful..... :zombie:

:( rejected today, added to an already stressful day. Sad, I was pretty excited about this school.. wish they would provide feedback post app season, but I guess they don't.

Good luck to everyone else

Dr. Cunningham,

How are reapplicants looked upon by the admissions committee? Positively or negatively?

Reapplicants are challenged to come to the table with a changed application. You can do this by updating your MCAT (tells us you have retained content), update LORs (do NOT submit old letters), refresh your essays based on new experiences and this means gain new experience!! Those who do this are viewed as anyone else - a serious, committed applicant.

If you do not put energy into an application, chances are you will not receive positive energy back from a medical school. The old adage "you get back what you put in" is so incredibly true in the process!

The label of "reapplicant" is neither negative or positive. It's what you do as a reapplicant that makes this decision easy for us.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Reapplicants are challenged to come to the table with a changed application. You can do this by updating your MCAT (tells us you have retained content), update LORs (do NOT submit old letters), refresh your essays based on new experiences and this means gain new experience!! Those who do this are viewed as anyone else - a serious, committed applicant.

If you do not put energy into an application, chances are you will not receive positive energy back from a medical school. The old adage "you get back what you put in" is so incredibly true in the process!

The label of "reapplicant" is neither negative or positive. It's what you do as a reapplicant that makes this decision easy for us.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Dr. Cunningham,

I have not heard back yet (complete early July) but I did send old letters. However, I added two completely new strong letters in addition to the 3 old ones. Will this really damage my chances?

Thank you very much for being so helpful!

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

In the process of deciding interview invites, has the admissions taken into consideration and looked at all parts of the application thus far? AMCAS (activities, GPA, MCAT, Personal Statement, etc), submitted LORs, and Secondary. Or does the admissions focus more on certain aspects in deciding whom to give invites to?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Dr. Cunningham,

In the process of deciding interview invites, has the admissions taken into consideration and looked at all parts of the application thus far? AMCAS (activities, GPA, MCAT, Personal Statement, etc), submitted LORs, and Secondary. Or does the admissions focus more on certain aspects in deciding whom to give invites to?

Thank you for your help!

We read everything! Truly do.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Dr. Cunningham,

I have not heard back yet (complete early July) but I did send old letters. However, I added two completely new strong letters in addition to the 3 old ones. Will this really damage my chances?

Thank you very much for being so helpful!

Old letters really are viewed poorly - having two new might help, but I must say the expectation is to give us a new perspective.

Posted using SDN Mobile