You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
What's the consensus on using failures/a time I was unsuccessful from before college?
Here's my thought: Does the way you dealt with the issue reflect your current self? If no, then it's not a good response.What's the consensus on using failures/a time I was unsuccessful from before college?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here's my thought: Does the way you dealt with the issue reflect your current self? If no, then it's not a good response.
I was thinking of describing my general failure and lack of motivation during my pre-high school academic career and how I turned it around when I realized how poor performance in high school would negatively impact my future. This does reflect my current self - I have worked extremely hard in high school and college in order to realize my dreams and aspirations. However, this may definitely be too long ago and many other students may have had similar experiences. I do think I have a back up from a failure in college though; I injured myself while training for a power lifting competition which effectively ended my ability to continue engaging in that activity.
Well in terms of a failure, an injury wouldn't necessarily be a failure unless it was due to improper form.. Maybe you could twist it that way
Is anyone else having trouble getting on? The page just keeps refreshing.
Received a instructions to complete secondaries in the mail yesterday, but I submitted online late June. Should I just ignore the letter? Did they send it to everyone?
Received a instructions to complete secondaries in the mail yesterday, but I submitted online late June. Should I just ignore the letter? Did they send it to everyone?
I ignored that. No new info
This takes awhile to switch to complete.My file is marked as incomplete yet my status page says that they have my application fee, secondary, LORs, and verified AMCAS...
Is anyone else having trouble getting on? The page just keeps refreshing.
Try it through firefox. Mine had the same problem on chrome, but it was fixed once I tried another browser.
Thanks! Got it through internet explorer! 🙂
I doubt anyone will notice or care.Got my secondary on June 29th but still haven't submitted because if you use individual letters you need to specify exactly which letters you're sending in and I'm still waiting on one last letter.
Will it look bad that I took this long?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone having an issue with LOR's? All my other schools have received them, maybe they just have a really long time to transfer? I finished my secondary over a week ago.
Anyone having an issue with LOR's? All my other schools have received them, maybe they just have a really long time to transfer? I finished my secondary over a week ago.
Mine took a good week to get uploaded at WashU (I guess they upload letters manually?) – so I personally wouldn't worry about it. Maybe ping them if things aren't up by the end of the week. It took me over two weeks to be marked complete at U Mich, so I'm glad I didn't start heckling them with e-mails before then.
Mine took a good week to get uploaded at WashU (I guess they upload letters manually?) – so I personally wouldn't worry about it. Maybe ping them if things aren't up by the end of the week. It took me over two weeks to be marked complete at U Mich, so I'm glad I didn't start heckling them with e-mails before then.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I am not one of those people who likes sending emails asking about this stuff. They get enough of them from neurotic pre-meds. 🙂
I believe the first set of IIs went out around mid september last year.Submitted secondary on 7/6. AMCAS was verified on 7/15. Do you guys know when they start sending out IIs?
okay question on the first essay: Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee?
Did anyone choose to answer this essay? Is it okay to write about a unique experience/obstacle such as a culture shock and adjustment experience in another country? I'm not sure if they're looking for more serious answers to this question? I'm hoping to get some clarification based on what other people ended up writing!
Did anyone choose to answer this essay? Is it okay to write about a unique experience/obstacle such as a culture shock and adjustment experience in another country? I'm not sure if they're looking for more serious answers to this question? I'm hoping to get some clarification based on what other people ended up writing!
I answered, but mine was quite serious. PM me if you'd like more info, but it's just my opinion of courseokay question on the first essay: Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee?
Did anyone choose to answer this essay? Is it okay to write about a unique experience/obstacle such as a culture shock and adjustment experience in another country? I'm not sure if they're looking for more serious answers to this question? I'm hoping to get some clarification based on what other people ended up writing!
I submitted on 7/2, transmitted my letters from amcas that day, but they're still not showing as received. I think thats plenty of time... gonna bug them with an email
I think that's a good idea. Mine weren't downloaded forever so I emailed them and they said there was some glitch or something.
I received the secondary and when I went to submit it, it won't let me because it says my letters aren't submitted. My AMCAS is not verified (although my letters are all there) yet but I still got the secondary... do I have to wait until my AMCAS is verified to submit? Is anyone else having this issue?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received the secondary and when I went to submit it, it won't let me because it says my letters aren't submitted. My AMCAS is not verified (although my letters are all there) yet but I still got the secondary... do I have to wait until my AMCAS is verified to submit? Is anyone else having this issue?
I would call Admissions. It's been my experience that med schools cannot accept secondaries without a primary on file, but I'm not sure if that's your issue. Seems like you should be able to submit your secondary even while your primary is awaiting verification.
Anyone receive an email saying that your application is still in "draft phase?" Does that mean they are eager for you to submit and review you application?
I received the secondary and when I went to submit it, it won't let me because it says my letters aren't submitted. My AMCAS is not verified (although my letters are all there) yet but I still got the secondary... do I have to wait until my AMCAS is verified to submit? Is anyone else having this issue?
You don't have to wait. Wash U is unusual in that regard.
A survey was sent out to entering 3rd year medical students at WashU regarding Step 1 scores and preparation. There were 71 responses, representing around 60% of the class. Of these responses, the mean Step 1 score was 253.5. Strongest predictors of Step 1 score were # of preclinical year 2 honors (Pearson's r=0.60; p<0.001), MCAT score (r=0.55; p<0.001), and number of Step 1 style practice questions (r=0.25; p=0.04). All retained significance in multivariable regression.
A survey was sent out to entering 3rd year medical students at WashU regarding Step 1 scores and preparation. There were 71 responses, representing around 60% of the class. Of these responses, the mean Step 1 score was 253.5. Strongest predictors of Step 1 score were # of preclinical year 2 honors (Pearson's r=0.60; p<0.001), MCAT score (r=0.55; p<0.001), and number of Step 1 style practice questions (r=0.25; p=0.04). All retained significance in multivariable regression.
Good to know I won't have to do any Step 1 practice questions 😉
Shocked, mstp II here and no where near their monster 37+ mcat average. Also no pubs. Hope to all you lower mcat folks hoping to land an II! If I can get one for mstp, you can definitely do it for md 🙂 good luck!!
Any news on MD II's?
Shocked, mstp II here and no where near their monster 37+ mcat average. Also no pubs. Hope to all you lower mcat folks hoping to land an II! If I can get one for mstp, you can definitely do it for md 🙂 good luck!!
Congrats! And so interview invites are almost upon us! Wahhhhh!!


Hey thanks!!! 🙂 and congrats to YOU may I only dream to have the app cycle you are haha.Congrats! And so interview invites are almost upon us! Wahhhhh!!![]()
Penguin Power!! Congratulations. . .knock 'em dazzled! ("Dead" is not an inspiring word, particularly for MD aspirants.)Shocked, mstp II here and no where near their monster 37+ mcat average. Also no pubs. Hope to all you lower mcat folks hoping to land an II! If I can get one for mstp, you can definitely do it for md 🙂 good luck!!
Penguin Power!! Congratulations. . .knock 'em dazzled! ("Dead" is not an inspiring word, particularly for MD aspirants.)
Maybe it's time jump on the penguin bandwagon myself
haha very good point, and thank you!! 🙂Penguin Power!! Congratulations. . .knock 'em dazzled! ("Dead" is not an inspiring word, particularly for MD aspirants.)
Ya know... I must say, haven't gotten an II since I changed to Penguin...... 😱😱😱Maybe it's time jump on the penguin bandwagon myself
Worry not. The penguin mode means that someone in the circle is always moving from the innermost ring to the outer boundary and vice versa. We huddle toward triumph; we waddle toward victory! Despair is for chickadees. 🙂haha very good point, and thank you!! 🙂
Ya know... I must say, haven't gotten an II since I changed to Penguin...... 😱😱😱
Lol 🙂Worry not. The penguin mode means that someone in the circle is always moving from the innermost ring to the outer boundary and vice versa. We huddle toward triumph; we waddle toward victory! Despair is for chickadees. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Curious how Wash U is among the slower schools. I wonder if this is a tactical wait on their part, or a calm confidence, or disorder, or something else.
Also, since this was like the first secondary I completed, I thought I'd have to send off those Dean's Letter forms to my undergrad for virtually every med school I applied to. I pre-printed a bunch of forms and stamped envelopes that I see now won't be used!
Also, since this was like the first secondary I completed, I thought I'd have to send off those Dean's Letter forms to my undergrad for virtually every med school I applied to. I pre-printed a bunch of forms and stamped envelopes that I see now won't be used!
Curious how Wash U is among the slower schools. I wonder if this is a tactical wait on their part, or a calm confidence, or disorder, or something else.
Also, since this was like the first secondary I completed, I thought I'd have to send off those Dean's Letter forms to my undergrad for virtually every med school I applied to. I pre-printed a bunch of forms and stamped envelopes that I see now won't be used!
Is it true that WashU has a new dean of admissions for this cycle? I could've sworn I read that somewhere but can't find anything about it now. I was thinking that could explain the delay in IIs...or it could just be my subconscious trying to rationalize for my neurotic premed mind!
It is true, but I don't think that is why they start later than other schools.Is it true that WashU has a new dean of admissions for this cycle? I could've sworn I read that somewhere but can't find anything about it now. I was thinking that could explain the delay in IIs...or it could just be my subconscious trying to rationalize for my neurotic premed mind!
Yeah, there is a new dean of admissions, Dr. Ratts. But even last year the first IIs weren't given out till around Sep 10th or so. So, hang in there peeps.Is it true that WashU has a new dean of admissions for this cycle? I could've sworn I read that somewhere but can't find anything about it now. I was thinking that could explain the delay in IIs...or it could just be my subconscious trying to rationalize for my neurotic premed mind!
Luck for everyone applying!Similar threads
- Replies
- 943
- Views
- 367K