2014-2015 Washington University in St. Louis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. (optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

2. (optional) Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

3. If you have already completed your education, if your college or graduate education was interrupted, or if you do not plan to be a full-time student during the current year, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (maximum 1800 characters including spaces)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi future applicants. I'm an incoming MS1 at WashU, and I'm happy to answer any questions that anyone has about the school. My experiences and knowledge are obviously limited at this point since class hasn't even started yet, but I'll do my best :p. There are a handful of other (more experienced) WashU students who will also be in to answer questions.

Good luck!

Hello all! I'm a 4th year at WUSM who took a year off for the MA/MD program. Happy to answer questions, as well. Best of luck with all the applications!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! I'm a 4th year at WUSM who took a year off for the MA/MD program. Happy to answer questions, as well. Best of luck with all the applications!

Quick question from your MDapps =)

Ridiculous numbers by the way, holy ****.

But it looked like you received secondaries within a week verified? Was this before AMCAS set a date before they released the applications to schools? For instance, this year it is June 27th. Guess that means we won't get any secondaries til then?

Quick question from your MDapps =)

Ridiculous numbers by the way, holy ****.

But it looked like you received secondaries within a week verified? Was this before AMCAS set a date before they released the applications to schools? For instance, this year it is June 27th. Guess that means we won't get any secondaries til then?

AMCAS has stated that June 27th will be the earliest date any applicant will receive a secondary.

When I applied (5 years ago... geez I'm old), there was no specific date for applications to go to schools or for them to send out secondaries. Once verified, the applications went straight to the schools and they were allowed to send you secondaries then.

Reactions: 1 user
Applying here OOS. According to the MSAR, they gave about 22% of OOS applicants interviews, assuming my math is right and I didn't confuse this school with a different "Washington." :p That seems high to me! Not that I'm complaining.

When I look at MSAR it says secondaries here can be submitted June 20. But I didn't think amcas even sent apps to schools until June 27...does anybody know if this June 20 date is accurate?

When I look at MSAR it says secondaries here can be submitted June 20. But I didn't think amcas even sent apps to schools until June 27...does anybody know if this June 20 date is accurate?
The MSAR has a number of incorrect dates listed, as is the case here.

I emailed MSAR about this and here was there response: "Each school has its own policy for distributing and receiving secondary applications. Some schools send all applicants a secondary application prior to reviewing AMCAS applications. In some cases, some schools elect to receive contact information for applicants who have applied to their school in their submitted AMCAS even if the application hasn't been verified yet. This is how schools can send applicants secondaries even if they haven't received a processed AMCAS application for them yet." So I guess technically we could get secondaries before June 27.

I emailed MSAR about this and here was there response: "Each school has its own policy for distributing and receiving secondary applications. Some schools send all applicants a secondary application prior to reviewing AMCAS applications. In some cases, some schools elect to receive contact information for applicants who have applied to their school in their submitted AMCAS even if the application hasn't been verified yet. This is how schools can send applicants secondaries even if they haven't received a processed AMCAS application for them yet." So I guess technically we could get secondaries before June 27.
Nothing is transmitted to medical schools until the 27th. So nothing will be received from them by us until then.

You all are correct. However, at least last year, WashU opened up the secondary application ~June 20 and allowed anyone to make an account. Some people even submitted the secondary before the transmission date (I held off to be safe).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You all are correct. However, at least last year, WashU opened up the secondary application ~June 20 and allowed anyone to make an account. Some people even submitted the secondary before the transmission date (I held off to be safe).
Interesting, did everyone complete it after that point or wait for an email from them?

Interesting, did everyone complete it after that point or wait for an email from them?

I think most people waited. The only reason I knew it was open was because of SDN. If you submit earlier, I assume the checklist within the secondary app will probably just be missing the checkmark next to "verified AMCAS". Just checked, and the email came June 29 last year.

I think most people waited. The only reason I knew it was open was because of SDN. If you submit earlier, I assume the checklist within the secondary app will probably just be missing the checkmark next to "verified AMCAS". Just checked, and the email came June 29 last year.
Yeah I'll just wait, I don't see any likely advantage to doing it earlier. Thanks Amba.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Here are the prompts for anyone focusing on those:

WashU said:
1. (optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

2. (optional) Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

3. If you have already completed your education, if your college or graduate education was interrupted, or if you do not plan to be a full-time student during the current year, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (maximum 1800 characters including spaces)

Why do they ask about stuff that's already on the primary?

@Amba, what are your thoughts on including SAT/ACT scores and/or high school stats?

If you remember or can find your scores, go ahead and include them. If not, it's alright. My understanding is that WashU uses these for research rather than admissions purposes.

Reactions: 1 users
Are people writing both of the first two optional prompts? Also-for the 3rd question, I feel like I am just rewording my amcas activities. I'm not sure how else to so it. Thoughts?

Are people writing both of the first two optional prompts? Also-for the 3rd question, I feel like I am just rewording my amcas activities. I'm not sure how else to so it. Thoughts?

Did a lot of your activities occurs after undergrad? If so, I guess it's unavoidable.

Yes, you should write both optional essays. It shows genuine interest. I'm a Wash U undergrad, and I was told that not doing the optional essays can hurt your application.

Yes, you should write both optional essays. It shows genuine interest. I'm a Wash U undergrad, and I was told that not doing the optional essays can hurt your application.

This is false. These are truly optional. I, along with many other previous applicants, have been accepted without doing the optional essay(s).

I smell a gunner.

Reactions: 1 users
This is false. These are truly optional. I, along with many other previous applicants, have been accepted without doing the optional essay(s).

I also was accepted without writing the optional essay. Though I believe there was only the obstacle one then. If you have something meaningful to say, say it. If not, don't write useless stuff and force people to read it.

I'm a re-applicant (but a first time applicant to WashU). Do you think it would be wise to talk about something other than not getting into medical school for this prompt?

I'm a re-applicant (but a first time applicant to WashU). Do you think it would be wise to talk about something other than not getting into medical school for this prompt?
I don't think it matters, as long as you demonstrate something positive about yourself in the course of discussing it. I think talking about being a reapplicant is actually a pretty good opportunity, but if you have something else, that's OK too.

Well @Ace Khalifa never did say you would be outright rejected if you don't write them - only said that it can hurt your application (a small part of the entire process), though I doubt it would be anything significant. We don't have any idea how the admission committee thinks, especially with the new admission chair this year (or so I have heard). I do agree with @ksmi117 though that if you don't have anything meaningful to reply to the prompt, don't force it.

So i covered the "unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome" on my PS and disadvantaged status essay, yet I feel I can expand on them in this supp essay. Should I do this or just leave it blank?

So i covered the "unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome" on my PS and disadvantaged status essay, yet I feel I can expand on them in this supp essay. Should I do this or just leave it blank?

I would only write the supp if this new essay can stand-alone and bring something new to the table (not just a continuation of your two previous essays, but include experiences you haven't talked about, reflections about yourself that you haven't discussed yet, etc.). If it just supports what you have already written, I think two essays are plenty enough.

I would only write the supp if this new essay can stand-alone and bring something new to the table (not just a continuation of your two previous essays, but include experiences you haven't talked about, reflections about yourself that you haven't discussed yet, etc.). If it just supports what you have already written, I think two essays are plenty enough.

Oh ok, I just felt uneasy about leaving that section blank, thanks!

Are most people approaching the first prompt like you would a resume? Or paragraph form?

Ugh. Trying to condense more than 5 years into that last prompt... It looks like a mess.

For the secondary application, it says additional letters of recommendation "are welcome" in addition to the committee letter... How many does would be a reasonable number?

So has anyone gotten the official invite yet?

Just submitted the secondary!

I didn't but since they should have the AMCAS data I just went ahead to get it out of the way.

Haha you seem very eager. I'll wait until Monday probably.

I also wanted to ask, my committee LOR won't be in until mid July. Is it worth it to submit secondaries as soon as possible even with the LOR not being in? Do schools send out interview invites without the LORs? You seem to be the guy who would know this.

Haha you seem very eager. I'll wait until Monday probably.

I also wanted to ask, my committee LOR won't be in until mid July. Is it worth it to submit secondaries as soon as possible even with the LOR not being in? Do schools send out interview invites without the LORs? You seem to be the guy who would know this.
Haha well I just want to get secondaries out of the way so I can passively worry about other stuff until II's start.

The application status page says this:
WUMSApply said:
Once we receive your recommendations, your supplemental application fee, your MCAT scores and AMCAS has verified your application, your file will be complete and ready for review.
So you won't be considered for interview until all of those are in. I doubt it makes a difference what order they're received in, however the page also says:
WUMSApply said:
Please note that it takes up to three business days after you submit your supplemental application for your AMCS-transmitted [sic] letters of recommendation to be displayed as received in your WUMSapply status.
It looks like they don't download the LOR's from AMCAS until the secondary is in, so if you want to be safe I might wait until the committee letter has been marked received by AMCAS before submitting the secondary, but you could also call and ask if it would matter.

Just submitted my first secondary :scared: :scared:

I submitted today too, might as well get it out of the way.

Now back to pre-writing for other schools.

I submitted my secondary a few days ago. Everything in my file has a check mark next to it except the Premedical committee letter and the Dean's certificate. I assume the premed committee letter = my letter packet from my school? It was received by AMCAS weeks ago, so how come WashU doesn't have it on file yet? They have my verified AMCAS and MCAT on file