You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just a pleasantry. Meant to play off the idea of "fluke" as a fortunate but fortuitous chance by jesting that you were a liver fluke (parasitic flatworm of the class Monogenea). Sometimes the humor wanes and grows pale. Sorry.Liver fluke, do you think? 😛
Nice. Thanks for that. Also another bump for anyone who has sent a successful ITA email.
my ITA was very well received. (less than a week turnaround)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my ITA was very well received. (less than a week turnaround)
+1, WCMC seems highly receptive to ITA notices.
My ITA e-mail was sent on short notice. They sent me a very kind message in return, but I think I was asking for too much with the short amount of time I was giving them. With that said, I have yet to hear back from them, and I sent it about 3 weeks ago.Nice. Thanks for that. Also another bump for anyone who has sent a successful ITA email.
They responded nicely to my ITA email but did not accommodate it, probably because it was very very early in the cycle. I haven't been rejected yet though!
Parasitic worm, you say .. ? Well, hopefully it doesn't seem that way on interview day.Just a pleasantry. Meant to play off the idea of "fluke" as a fortunate but fortuitous chance by jesting that you were a liver fluke (parasitic flatworm of the class Monogenea). Sometimes the humor wanes and grows pale. Sorry.
Based on an article about Med School interviews written by a former AdCom guy from Weill Cornell, if they invite you for interview, they consider that you're academically qualified, so I suppose I should brush off my super-low LizzyM fears and just focus on acing the interview.
C'mon Big Red!!
Thanks! 🙂 I was complete around July 6th. Lizzy M ~ 73
There is hope for me!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed. CONGRATS! 🙂
Thanks! 🙂 I was complete around July 6th. Lizzy M ~ 73
Weill seems to be going back to earlier applicants from the recent II complete dates.
Without jokes or striving after puns--good luck!!Parasitic worm, you say .. ? Well, hopefully it doesn't seem that way on interview day.
Based on an article about Med School interviews written by a former AdCom guy from Weill Cornell, if they invite you for interview, they consider that you're academically qualified, so I suppose I should brush off my super-low LizzyM fears and just focus on acing the interview.
C'mon Big Red!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody else was asked to talk about your high school experience specifically during your interview? I mean, I don't mind talking about it, except that I am in my 30s, not sure how valuable/informative the information regarding a stage of my life that's well over 10 years ago would be to the evaluation of my application.
Last edited:
Maybe they only want to take kids from the popular clique 🙂Anybody else was asked to talk about your high school specifically experience during your interview? I mean, I don't mind talking about it, except that I am in my 30s, not sure how valuable/informative the information regarding a stage of my life that's well over 10 years ago would be to the evaluation of my application.
I was...it was odd. Very few other questions after that one.Anybody else was asked to talk about your high school specifically experience during your interview? I mean, I don't mind talking about it, except that I am in my 30s, not sure how valuable/informative the information regarding a stage of my life that's well over 10 years ago would be to the evaluation of my application.
Oh god I'm screwed then!Maybe they only want to take kids from the popular clique 🙂
Anybody else was asked to talk about your high school experience specifically during your interview? I mean, I don't mind talking about it, except that I am in my 30s, not sure how valuable/informative the information regarding a stage of my life that's well over 10 years ago would be to the evaluation of my application.
Me too! I talked about my early life quite a bit 😀
Guuurrrrl, looking at it from my perspective, all your life is early life....you are far from knowing what alcohol taste like...Me too! I talked about my early life quite a bit 😀
Me too! I talked about my early life quite a bit 😀
Guuurrrrl, looking at it from my perspective, all your life is early life....you are far from knowing what alcohol taste like...
You two could almost be mother and daughter! In medieval times...
runs and hides
Lol, I got that question. It caught me by surprise and I actually responded "I didn't do too much during high school besides sports..." and then I quickly recovered. But yeah. not a good question. hah.Anybody else was asked to talk about your high school experience specifically during your interview? I mean, I don't mind talking about it, except that I am in my 30s, not sure how valuable/informative the information regarding a stage of my life that's well over 10 years ago would be to the evaluation of my application.
Guuurrrrl, looking at it from my perspective, all your life is early life....you are far from knowing what alcohol taste like...
LOL! I feel like an old pot sometimes 😉
Maybe that was the point? It's amazing how many people still carry around resentments and other baggage from high school--I've even heard retired people go on about how unfair the history teacher was, or how Suzie shouldn't have got the lead in the junior play. Maybe you were demonstrating your maturity and ability to let that kind of stuff go. Or, alternatively, maybe the interviewer was one of those with a set and unvarying list of questions, asked no matter how irrelevant to a particular applicant.Anybody else was asked to talk about your high school experience specifically during your interview? I mean, I don't mind talking about it, except that I am in my 30s, not sure how valuable/informative the information regarding a stage of my life that's well over 10 years ago would be to the evaluation of my application.
did you mention you were interviewing at other NYC med schools or just say you were in the area?my ITA was very well received. (less than a week turnaround)
Maybe that was the point? It's amazing how many people still carry around resentments and other baggage from high school--I've even heard retired people go on about how unfair the history teacher was, or how Suzie shouldn't have got the lead in the junior play. Maybe you were demonstrating your maturity and ability to let that kind of stuff go. Or, alternatively, maybe the interviewer was one of those with a set and unvarying list of questions, asked no matter how irrelevant to a particular applicant.
I found that happening a lot at Cornell. If two people had the same interviewer, the interviewer would ask them the same questions, regardless of background.
Hi does anyone know when the interview day ends for MSTP interviews? I'm trying to decide if I can buy a return ticket for the day of... Thanks!
The last required activity (dinner with faculty and students) should end between 7 and 8pm. After that we (the first years) take the applicants out in the city until whenever we get tired (the activity I was at went until about 10-10:30 last time, but it can vary). In my group, there were several students who brought their luggage with them and left straight from our evening event. Good luck.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, this is pretty random, but none of y'all took a backpack or anything on the interview day, right? Just wear your clothes... My question being: they don't hand you stuff that would make you feel like you could use a backpack or some kind of bag to carry aforementioned stuff, right?
They give you a bag to carry the stuff!Hey guys, this is pretty random, but none of y'all took a backpack or anything on the interview day, right? Just wear your clothes... My question being: they don't hand you stuff that would make you feel like you could use a backpack or some kind of bag to carry aforementioned stuff, right?
did you mention you were interviewing at other NYC med schools or just say you were in the area?
interviewing at NYC med school which is interesting b/c I did not say NYC specifically to columbia and was not responded to...not sure if this had any impact
The last required activity (dinner with faculty and students) should end between 7 and 8pm. After that we (the first years) take the applicants out in the city until whenever we get tired (the activity I was at went until about 10-10:30 last time, but it can vary). In my group, there were several students who brought their luggage with them and left straight from our evening event. Good luck.
Thanks!
Hey guys, this is pretty random, but none of y'all took a backpack or anything on the interview day, right? Just wear your clothes... My question being: they don't hand you stuff that would make you feel like you could use a backpack or some kind of bag to carry aforementioned stuff, right?
Yep, like @ProbablyAPenguin said, they give you a bag to put stuff in. (You guys actually are getting much fancier stuff than what we got last year during our interviews. 😀) Other than that, they will give you a folder filled with stuff also. If you need to go to the airport right after, you can bring your luggage and they'll store it in the back for you during interview day. If it's raining, they'll have spare umbrellas for you to use during the tour and to go to your interviews (if one or both of your interviews aren't in the admissions office).
The bag is surprisingly small though. The folder won't fit. Not that it affected me in anyway, since I had my brief case. But yeah.Yep, like @ProbablyAPenguin said, they give you a bag to put stuff in. (You guys actually are getting much fancier stuff than what we got last year during our interviews. 😀) Other than that, they will give you a folder filled with stuff also. If you need to go to the airport right after, you can bring your luggage and they'll store it in the back for you during interview day. If it's raining, they'll have spare umbrellas for you to use during the tour and to go to your interviews (if one or both of your interviews aren't in the admissions office).
Sorry to hear this. Hope that better news is on its way soon.Rejected just now. Complete ~9/26. LizzyM >72. Good luck to everyone else!
All is good, my friend. I have several other IIs so I am in no position to stress. Cornell is a wonderful institution and I wish you and everyone else the best.Sorry to hear this. Hope that better news is on its way soon.
They give you a bag to carry the stuff!
What exactly do we get on the interview day??
*edit. Read the other posts. They sound super accommodating! Definitely looking forward to this bag!
Ooh!! Wow, Cornell is the best ... I'm staying with a friend, so no luggage troubles.Yep, like @ProbablyAPenguin said, they give you a bag to put stuff in. (You guys actually are getting much fancier stuff than what we got last year during our interviews. 😀) Other than that, they will give you a folder filled with stuff also. If you need to go to the airport right after, you can bring your luggage and they'll store it in the back for you during interview day. If it's raining, they'll have spare umbrellas for you to use during the tour and to go to your interviews (if one or both of your interviews aren't in the admissions office).
The more I find out about Weill Cornell, the more I fall in love with it. Big Red, please!
Rejected just now. Complete ~9/26. LizzyM >72. Good luck to everyone else!
+1. LizzyM ~71. Good luck, everyone!
For people that don't have friends in the area, where did you guys stay the night before your interview? I e-mailed the student host program, but nobody has responded to me, so now I'm searching for hotels in the area! Thanks in advance!!!
Airbnb can be your friend...For people that don't have friends in the area, where did you guys stay the night before your interview? I e-mailed the student host program, but nobody has responded to me, so now I'm searching for hotels in the area! Thanks in advance!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Trying to make decisions regarding my SO's job and it would be SO MUCH EASIER if I knew where I stood with Cornell. March is too far away.
Are interviews closed or open file? Thanks in advance!
Both are open. They will likely come with questions ready after reading your application file.Are interviews closed or open file? Thanks in advance!
Your own personal experience, @FriendlyFH ?They will likely come with questions ready after reading your application file.
You are correct sirYour own personal experience, @FriendlyFH ?