2014-2015 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For people that don't have friends in the area, where did you guys stay the night before your interview? I e-mailed the student host program, but nobody has responded to me, so now I'm searching for hotels in the area! Thanks in advance!!!

Wait you mean no one responded as in the admissions office didn't or were there none available?

Some people I know when I interviewed stayed in a room at the YMCA... They said it's pretty decent, and it's cheap.
 
  • Like
Reactions: FFH
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected today. Complete: Mid-Sept. LizzyM: 68-73. IS.

I was hopeful since I thought I missed the chopping block for the past few weeks. But, this rejection definitely stings. 🙁

Good Luck to those still in the running.
 
My experience as well. Very deep questions. Know your application and be prepared to talk about why medicine and other similar questions.

And sorry to hear about the recent rejections! 🙁
To add a different perspective, in my experience I actually answered questions for about 1/2 the time of my interviews - very straight forward "why did you do this" and "tell me more about that. The rest of the time I was listening to the interviewer tell me why Cornell was so great.

I never had to answer any deep questions (why medicine, why Cornell, what was your biggest life challenge ever) but I do feel like I got a chance to express myself. Overall I just got really excited about the opportunity to go to Cornell and the school quickly became one of my favorites, mostly because of my interviewers' praise for the faculty and curriculum!!!
 
For those who have interviewed, I have a quick question! Did you send thank you notes to the admissions office (and if so, just the [email protected] address?) for the admissions office to distribute, or did you send it directly to your interviewers?
 
Does anyone know if they are receptive to updates? I wouldn't have even thought to bother since Cornell is such a long shot, but I haven't been rejected yet..
 
Does anyone know if they are receptive to updates? I wouldn't have even thought to bother since Cornell is such a long shot, but I haven't been rejected yet..
Yes, they do accept updates. You may update them via their admissions email.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just thought to myself, "How did I find this information again?" and after checking I found it's stated both on their admissions site and in the complete email.
 
Just wondering, did everyone else get business/contact cards from their interviewers?

I wasn't sure if it was something they give to all applicants, but it sure made me feel special.
 
Just wondering, did everyone else get business/contact cards from their interviewers?

I wasn't sure if it was something they give to all applicants, but it sure made me feel special.

I did from both of mine. I think it just depends on the interviewers.
But I still think you're special. Just knowing you got an interview at Cornell must mean you're pretty great 🙂
 
I did from both of mine. I think it just depends on the interviewers.
But I still think you're special. Just knowing you got an interview at Cornell must mean you're pretty great 🙂
I suppose.
Yeah, just being there on interview day made me feel like the prettiest girl at a ball. They treat you like you were already at second look, deciding whether you really want to attend Weill Cornell or not. And yet, only about a third of us interviewees get an acceptance offer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know Cornell's attitude about post-interview updates/letters of interest? This is my top choice, and I'd like to do everything I can. Is it better to wait until you potentially get wait-listed to send an update/interest, since the letter won't move you all the way from rejection to acceptance?
 
Does anyone know Cornell's attitude about post-interview updates/letters of interest? This is my top choice, and I'd like to do everything I can. Is it better to wait until you potentially get wait-listed to send an update/interest, since the letter won't move you all the way from rejection to acceptance?
Well, in the interview day packet, they do mention that as they do not pick the full class until March, they are receptive to occasional, substantive updates.

Personally, I had the time of my life interviewing at Weill Cornell, so I'm planning on sending an email regarding my interview experience, and another email just updating what I've done since submitting the secondary application (traveling to another country as part of a scholarship program, my work at a hospital and all I've learned there).
 
How long is each interview? Half an hour?

And for people who've done the PM interviews, how long does the day go to? Would I be able to catch a 7:50PM flight from LaGuardia?
 
How long is each interview? Half an hour?

And for people who've done the PM interviews, how long does the day go to? Would I be able to catch a 7:50PM flight from LaGuardia?

30 min to an hour

Pm interview might be cutting it close but I am not familiar with traffic in NY. I had a morning interview and they don't tell you what time your specific interviews are until you arrive so I would plan on being there the whole day.
 
30 min to an hour

Pm interview might be cutting it close but I am not familiar with traffic in NY. I had a morning interview and they don't tell you what time your specific interviews are until you arrive so I would plan on being there the whole day.

Agreed that a 7:50 from LaGuardia is cutting it too close. I didn't leave Cornell until about 6:30
 
Sorry for those who got bad news, and wishing glad tidings of great joy in the near future. For those invited to interview, God rest you merry!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long is each interview? Half an hour?

And for people who've done the PM interviews, how long does the day go to? Would I be able to catch a 7:50PM flight from LaGuardia?

You'll be going through rush hour traffic, and you won't know when your last interview is (You could leave as early as 4:15 or as late as 6:30 like @Jrcomsto said). So it might be a little close.