2014-2015 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How strict are they on January 31st requirement for pre-req courses? Got II recently, but I do not think I can satisfy the English pre-req by then. any ideas?
I'd like to know as well since I was going to complete my english pre req next semester
 
I'd like to know as well since I was going to complete my english pre req next semester
To receive a definitive answer, you should ask the admissions.
But in general: 1) Cornell seems to be relatively flexible with its prereqs; 2) it depends on how many and which classes you're taking after January 2015: if it's just English, it's probably fine, if it's something like Bio II + Orgo II, not so much. For what it's worth, I completed some of my prereqs in Spring and Cornell didn't have an issue with that; though my situation is pretty unusual and I'm not sure if it should be used as an example.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I must have missed something.. Is this an all-you-can-eat sushi joint in NYC? What?! How do I not know about this..
Yuka. 82nd I think. On the 2nd Ave. super speedy service and fish pieces are large and fresh. Best part, they never gave me any judgement even after I continue to order after having finished 30 sushi in lightening speed. It's $22.95. Just remember the tip is included in the check already. No need to pay extra unless you are really guilty for finishing their inventory or something
 
Yuka. 82nd I think. On the 2nd Ave. super speedy service and fish pieces are large and fresh. Best part, they never gave me any judgement even after I continue to order after having finished 30 sushi in lightening speed.

Epic, Epic, Epic. Will be sure to visit. Thanks for this (hopefully) gem.
 
Epic, Epic, Epic. Will be sure to visit. Thanks for this (hopefully) gem.
There is also a lobster roll place that's quite epic right around the corner too. Luke's lobster. It's always a first world's problem for me when I cannot eat at both places in one night. Let me know if you or others are coming. Would love to do sushi while meeting new friends!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If, after an interview, someone changed his job, should he inform the admissions committee of this or is it unnecessary since he already interviewed?
 
Last edited:
If, after an interview, someone changed his job, should he inform the admissions committee of this or is it unnecessary since he already interviewed?
It is generally a good idea to inform the admissions about any *substantial* changes that have happened since the interview. The key word here is - you guessed it - substantial. If you got promoted and now have more responsibilities, or if you got a job that requires a different skill set from your previous job, I think it's worth mentioning. The trick is whether the update will make you more attractive as an applicant. Eg. if you lost your job as a laboratory researcher and went delivering packages for UPS, I would not write about it to the admissions. (No offense to people working for UPS - these packages are not going to deliver themselves - but that's the way it is in the world of medical school admissions.)
 
It is generally a good idea to inform the admissions about any *substantial* changes that have happened since the interview. The key word here is - you guessed it - substantial. If you got promoted and now have more responsibilities, or if you got a job that requires a different skill set from your previous job, I think it's worth mentioning. The trick is whether the update will make you more attractive as an applicant. Eg. if you lost your job as a laboratory researcher and went delivering packages for UPS, I would not write about it to the admissions. (No offense to people working for UPS - these packages are not going to deliver themselves - but that's the way it is in the world of medical school admissions.)
Thanks for your advice!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if encourage is the right word, but the complete email reads: "You may send us occasional, substantive application updates if appropriate." There are instructions on how to do so in the email.
An email to the admissions will do the trick.
Remember that updates should be substantive; a good rule of thumb is whether it's something that will add a line to your resume.
 
II today! Complete in July, LizzyM 75
Available dates:
Oct 13, 15
Nov 5, 10, 12, 17, 19

Seems rather...short notice for the October dates

Yayy!!! Congratulations!!

@friendlyfemalehouse I was hoping we'd interview the same day! 🙁 I'm interviewing on the 29th (pushed it back from last month)... a day after my birthday 😀
 
  • Like
Reactions: FFH
Yayy!!! Congratulations!!

@friendlyfemalehouse I was hoping we'd interview the same day! 🙁 I'm interviewing on the 29th (pushed it back from last month)... a day after my birthday 😀

What the...Im not saying that we have the same interview date...nor am I saying that we have the same birthday....but if we did, that would be very strange 😉
 
What the...Im not saying that we have the same interview date...nor am I saying that we have the same birthday....but if we did, that would be very strange 😉

Yayy!!! Congratulations!!
@friendlyfemalehouse I was hoping we'd interview the same day! 🙁 I'm interviewing on the 29th (pushed it back from last month)... a day after my birthday 😀

wait...I'm not saying that you two both have birthdays that is extremely close to mine...and hella's. Were it to be true, it is very strange indeed. :woot: well, you two, I'll be spending my Bday on the west coast (thanks to this strangely merciful god who granted me the wish to do so), so you have a place to stay should you need it--my apt.
 
Last edited:
wait...I'm not saying that you two both have birthdays that is extremely close to mine...and hella's. Were it to be true, it is very strange indeed. :woot: well, you two, I'll be spending my Bday on the west coast (thanks to this strangely merciful god who granted me the wish to do so), so you have a place to stay should you need it--my apt.

@Friendly_female_house, you are too kind! I'll probably book a room close to the medical school though because I'm a naïve suburbian kid and am not used to transportation in big cities 😛 And it's so cool that we have birthdays close together 😀 Enjoy Stanford, my friend!!!

What the...Im not saying that we have the same interview date...nor am I saying that we have the same birthday....but if we did, that would be very strange 😉

LOL!!! See you on the 29th @Copernicium! Can't wait to meet someone who's done so well this cycle!!! 😀
 
Congrats on all the interview invites!

@researchismymiddlename and @Copernicium, you guys picked a good date (I think?) because our second anatomy exam is that morning, so we won't be too stressed, but we might be tired from studying. I guess it could go either way. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats on all the interview invites!

@researchismymiddlename and @Copernicium, you guys picked a good date (I think?) because our second anatomy exam is that morning, so we won't be too stressed, but we might be tired from studying. I guess it could go either way. 😉

OMG I didn't know you went to Cornell! I for some reason thought you went to Mayo or Vandy because you hang out in those forums so much! I love your MDApps summaries... so helpful! And your cycle was amazing!! 😀 I hope I meet you on my interview day!
 
OMG I didn't know you went to Cornell! I for some reason thought you went to Mayo or Vandy because you hang out in those forums so much! I love your MDApps summaries... so helpful! And your cycle was amazing!! 😀 I hope I meet you on my interview day!

Haha I just want to help out on the other threads also since I've interviewed at those places.

You might get lucky, and I might pop up on your interview day. 😉
 
Hey guys, I'm planning on staying with a friend that lives near the medical school for my time in Manhattan.

Do you reckon going two days before the interview (e.g. my interview is on a Wednesday, and I arrive in NYC on a Monday) to just chill and explore the city is a bad idea? I thought it might be good to get me more chill and develop some feeling for NY atmosphere.
 
Hey guys, I'm planning on staying with a friend that lives near the medical school for my time in Manhattan.

Do you reckon going two days before the interview (e.g. my interview is on a Wednesday, and I arrive in NYC on a Monday) to just chill and explore the city is a bad idea? I thought it might be good to get me more chill and develop some feeling for NY atmosphere.

If all else is the same on your end (similar price, fits just as well with your personal schedule, etc.), I'd go for it. If you haven't been to Manhattan before, it'll be a real treat - not to mention the possibility that the stimulation you'd experience as a first-timer in New York might improve your performance during your interview.

(quick PubMed search anyone?!... just kidding....not really kidding though.)
.. 5 minutes later, still browsing.