2014-2015 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a hold of a live person but she said to call back in a week and that they probably wouldn't have any space :'(

Thanks for the input and good luck at your interview! (Huge Dr. Fünke fan reporting in).

Oooch. Time to hunt around airbnb – don't think the host thing is going to pan out on my end.
 
Sent them an e-mail back on Friday and they responded that they'd forward my info to current students and see if anyone was willing to host. However, since many students are starting right around this time they said not to be surprised if no hosts were available (that also may be because my interview is ~1 week away).

Has anyone been able to get ahold of the Cornell Housing Office for Olin boarding? I've called and left a message several times, but have been unable to get ahold of anyone. 🙁

There is a hosting program, though you will need to email the admissions office first to get a host. For the housing office, you would want to call Lisa Ryan. She should be picking up unless she's on vacation or something... But at this point, all the rooms in Olin might be taken by first year and other people (like PhD students). We actually have a minor housing shortage affecting couples this year because they had to knock down an apartment to build the new research building right outside Olin (at least that's what I'm told), so couples have been affected a little bit.

Also, I remember one of the guys I met at my interviews in NYC stayed at a room at the YMCA for pretty cheap... You could look into that if you wanted. He said it was pretty nice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone comment on what it's like living in Cornell's first year dorms, and more widely, NYC as a whole.
on NYC in general: I'm a native New Yorker, and though I've always loved NYC, I didn't fully appreciate its greatness until I got older and started visiting other major cities. there's a reason it's so famous... no other US city really compares imo

depending where you are from, its pace may take some getting used to, and its cost of living is abysmal lolol. I would check this out before visiting: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-skylar/new-yorkers-rude_b_3870699.html
 
image.jpg

I can answer questions about the neighborhood. Or you can PM me if you prefer.
 
Forgot to post here after my interview, but holy moly this school was glorious. Kind of in love. I don't have many interviews under my belt, but Weill definitely met and exceeded my expectations.

Good luck to those interviewing this week (especially those going tomorrow); all the students and faculty I encountered on my interview day were exceptionally friendly! Also hope they start rolling out more IIs to those waiting... it seems they release them in waves. :luck:
 
Forgot to post here after my interview, but holy moly this school was glorious. Kind of in love. I don't have many interviews under my belt, but Weill definitely met and exceeded my expectations.

Good luck to those interviewing this week (especially those going tomorrow); all the students and faculty I encountered on my interview day were exceptionally friendly! Also hope they start rolling out more IIs to those waiting... it seems they release them in waves. :luck:
Hi there. Hope your interview went well.
Do you know when the last IIs went out?

Edit: I went back and saw most IIs went out in mid-August. Maybe another wave of IIs goes out soon
 
Last edited:
So do they send out rejections? Or just leave you hanging...?
I think Cornell does non-rolling admissions. Any decisions, rejections or acceptances, will go out starting March.
Yes, its going to be one long cycle.

They do send out pre-interview rejections throughout the cycle. Post-interview though, you'll have to wait until March for your decision. An interesting thing is that they seem to have some kind of hold status for some applicants based on previous threads because in previous years, some people would get rejections fairly quickly while other people would be in limbo for months.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After 2 weeks of dry spell and nothing at all while I was on vacation for that period of time, the second day after I come back, II at Cornell. I almost started to convince myself that the season was over for me. So happy and relieved!! Stats similar to upstair and completion date was end of July.
Surprisingly they still have Sep interview dates. It seemed so many have gotten interviews already.
 
congrats everyone!!! NYC is amazing and i'd love to get an II here so I have another chance to live in the city (well, that and Cornell is wonderful). i'm still holding out hope!
 
congrats everyone!!! NYC is amazing and i'd love to get an II here so I have another chance to live in the city (well, that and Cornell is wonderful). i'm still holding out hope!
Best of luck Sunflower penguin! Too bad I was on the other coast when you were here for NYU. Would have loved to meet up with you and hella.
NYC is definitely a must-have experience during your youth. I have no regret for having lived here for 8 years.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you mind sharing your stats roughly?

Also, does the status page show II or will that stay at"your application is complete..." throughout the cycle?
4.0 US- post-bacc coursework, in addition to MS degree (GPA 3.9)/33; undergrad from foreign country/ lots of research/military service
 
After 2 weeks of dry spell and nothing at all while I was on vacation for that period of time, the second day after I come back, II at Cornell. I almost started to convince myself that the season was over for me. So happy and relieved!! Stats similar to upstair and completion date was end of July.
Surprisingly they still have Sep interview dates. It seemed so many have gotten interviews already.

Interview days have a large number of people (~16) now mostly because they had to change interviews from T/W/R to M/W (due to the new curriculum). Congrats on the interview!
 
  • Like
Reactions: FFH
Hey all, i've officially decided to consider WCMW my number 1 choice.

On that note - wishing you all the best of luck!

My application is still not in yet because I took my MCAT august 7th, but ill be submitting my secondaries tonight to complete the application.

Woohoo! onward!
 
Does anyone know how strict they are about the "full frontal" requirement of the photo? Can you be slanted any at all to the side (the way they do it for graduation/other professional shots)?
 
Does anyone know how strict they are about the "full frontal" requirement of the photo? Can you be slanted any at all to the side (the way they do it for graduation/other professional shots)?
oh god this sounded unncessarily dirty lol 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How strict are they on January 31st requirement for pre-req courses? Got II recently, but I do not think I can satisfy the English pre-req by then. any ideas?
 
So what is happening with student hosting? I haven't received any information about it in the interview emails. Should I just contact the admissions office?
Student hosting is pretty tough at Cornell, unfortunately, because its class is small to begin with compared to many other schools, and not everyone is willing to host in their tiny Olin rooms. This is why Cornell doesn't offer student hosting outright. Student hosting does exist though, and if you need it you should email the admissions about it.
You should remember, however, that host availability depends on how busy the students are at any particular time. Eg., this Wednesday first year students have their first big scary Anatomy exam and second years have their big scary Brain and Mind quiz, so unfortunately if you're interviewing on September 24th, you may be out of luck with student hosting 🙁 I apologize for this, as I was in your shoes last year and know how expensive the process is, but you have no idea how busy medical students get... well, you'll find out next year 😉
Tl;dr: student hosting does exist at Cornell, but availability is limited and varies throughout the year.

Other than that, Cornell is awesome 🙂
 
So what is happening with student hosting? I haven't received any information about it in the interview emails. Should I just contact the admissions office?
I'll leave the city on 24th for my interviews and I won't be back for about 10 days. You can have my room if it works with your schedule.