2014-2015 Western Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Weird...

My supplemental app was completed 8/1 and I'm stuck on that. I did fill out the questionnaire they emailed out so I am unsure what the hold up is. :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does everyone have a tab under Admissions on the portal that says "Select Interview Time"? Just curious if it means anything or not
 
Does everyone have a tab under Admissions on the portal that says "Select Interview Time"? Just curious if it means anything or not

Yes. But it says there are no scheduled times at the moment. Its just there for when they send you an offer, by phone or on-campus.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I read from last year's thread, WMed received ~2800 AMCAS applications, offered ~2200 secondaries, ~600 phone interviews, ~300 on-campus interviews, accepted 60 applicants.
The yield was that good? Isn't their class 54 students?
 
I just know their inaugural class was 50. But WMed will eventually increase their class size to 80. MSAR indicates 60 for their estimated number of new entrants this year.
I'd imagine they have to accept around 100 students. I wouldn't think a new school would have a yield around 85%.
 
There are 54 students for the class starting next week. For the class starting next fall (2015) they are planning on 60. They will eventually be up to about 84. Their FAQs verify all of this.
 
Congrats to all the phone interviews!

I'm slightly concerned since I was complete 7/24 and my holistic review still hasn't even started....did you guys recieve and email when your app went from complete to under review? Wondering if I should continue checking the portal or if they'll just email me
 
Congrats to all the phone interviews!

I'm slightly concerned since I was complete 7/24 and my holistic review still hasn't even started....did you guys recieve and email when your app went from complete to under review? Wondering if I should continue checking the portal or if they'll just email me

Keep checking the portal, they don't send emails.
 
Congrats to all the phone interviews!

I'm slightly concerned since I was complete 7/24 and my holistic review still hasn't even started....did you guys recieve and email when your app went from complete to under review? Wondering if I should continue checking the portal or if they'll just email me

I emailed admissions about this exact issue today. I'll share what they tell me if they respond.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did not get an email when holistic review was complete. Only notified when I was awarded the phone interview.
 
Can someone please tell me where you see the holistic review status. Mine says complete since 7/24 but the status page says nothing else.
 
I just found this on their website. It basically says that as of now, the average GPA and MCAT are 3.5/31-33 with 54 students. They have some more stats too if you go to the link, and I imagine they'll update it as the first class begins next month. They plan on a class of 60 for the second year.

so this should be out soon, as first class sits today.
 
I noticed that many people are curious about WMed's admissions, out of state considerations, etc.

They just posted this today: http://med.wmich.edu/education/students/future-students/2018-class-profile

You'll see that 23/54 students are from Michigan - about 43%. So most of the class is from out of state. The school seems to be more interested in bringing in the most outstanding applicants, no matter where they come from (in line with its mission as a private medical school).

We've also got between 10-20% underrepresented students which is in-line with many other medical students - but I think we definitely want the diversity at the school to more closely reflect the diversity of the US population.

I'm a current student at WMed so feel free to ask any questions!
 
Last edited:
I'm receiving an error on the secondary application page. Anyone else get this error?:

"There was an error while processing your request. Please contact your system administrator.

The specifc error encountered was:
AT_EMPOWER_CAND_PKG ERROR - Address information is missing in source address type HOME
To check your application status click here."

I can access my application status, but not my application itself. I was able to briefly, but then I started getting this error message every time, on different browsers and computers.
 
I noticed that many people are curious about WMed's admissions, out of state considerations, etc.

They just posted this today: http://med.wmich.edu/education/students/future-students/2018-class-profile

You'll see that 23/54 students are from Michigan - about 43%. So most of the class is from out of state. The school seems to be more interested in bringing in the most outstanding applicants, no matter where they come from (in line with its mission as a private medical school).

We've also got between 10-20% underrepresented students which is in-line with many other medical students - but I think we definitely want the diversity at the school to more closely reflect the diversity of the US population.

I'm a current student at WMed so feel free to ask any questions!

Do you have any phone interview advice?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They responded today. They basically just said that I'm "complete and under consideration" and that "the applicant portal will reflect any changes made to my application status."

So yeah, not too helpful.

Thats so frusterating! let me know if/when you go under review. I'm still sitting at complete.
 
For those of you that have "holistic review complete," how long did it take you from the time you had "holistic review started" to get to complete?