2015-2016 Albert Einstein College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the "are you interested" email yesterday, HPWL. With any luck this means some good news in the future. Good luck to everyone else in the thick of it, hope it turns out well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any groups for accepted students on facebook or anything?

Are there any groups for accepted students on facebook or anything?

Yes, if you search on Facebook for the Albert Einstein college of medicine 2020 class you should find the group and be able to join it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the "are you interested" email yesterday, HPWL. With any luck this means some good news in the future. Good luck to everyone else in the thick of it, hope it turns out well!

I hope the pattern of good news following this email holds true for you!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1463703811.227470.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1463703811.227470.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
I think that as long as you have submitted all of your loan paperwork by August 8th they consider it as if you have paid.
But I'm not 100% sure. Maybe there are some current students out there who can comment...

on the topic of loans, did anyone who decided to accept an Einstein or Homan loan receive any confirmation after responding to the FinAid office via email?

on the topic of loans, did anyone who decided to accept an Einstein or Homan loan receive any confirmation after responding to the FinAid office via email?
They told me they would prepare it soon. But it's possible they only replied because I asked another question in that they were responding to.

Whats the Homan load? On a similar note, does anyone know who is the best person to talk to about negotiating financial aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the Homan load? On a similar note, does anyone know who is the best person to talk to about negotiating financial aid?
Your best bet is just calling the general financial aid office number and being connected. I would request to "talk about your options".
That being said, having called due to not getting a package at all earlier on, they pretty much told me that they had given out all scholarships/grants tied to the institution. I believe current options revolve around loans.

Last edited:
I got my housing assignment today. I'm a little confused because it looks like they want me to pay for the month of July, but I thought we move in at the beginning of August.

I got my housing assignment today. I'm a little confused because it looks like they want me to pay for the month of July, but I thought we move in at the beginning of August.

Did you sign up for the Biochemistry course? If so, then usually what they do is you move in July and basically you pay for August (they include the 1-2 weeks in July with the August payment). Maybe they changed it this year, but that is what happened last year.

Did you sign up for the Biochemistry course? If so, then usually what they do is you move in July and basically you pay for August (they include the 1-2 weeks in July with the August payment). Maybe they changed it this year, but that is what happened last year.
I checked a box saying I would attend but I haven't received any information on it yet. I was an engineering major so I don't know if that is non-science and automatically qualifies me for it.

I checked a box saying I would attend but I haven't received any information on it yet. I was an engineering major so I don't know if that is non-science and automatically qualifies me for it.

Ah I see, you should be getting the biochemistry forms soon (by forms it is basically just two pages you have to fill out). Mostly likely the reason Housing assigned you a early date is because they think you will be moving in early.

Just as clarification, everyone is sent the biochem information (not everyone decides to "enroll"). I think because you are an engineering major you may or may not have taken genetics, biochemistry, one more that I cannot remember. I wouldn't worry about it too much since I had taken all the courses listed but they still let me in the course.

"Enroll"= this is not a formal course, ie it doesn't go on your transcripts.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who were accepted from the HPWL last week (or the week before), how long were you given to accept the position?

For those who were accepted from the HPWL last week (or the week before), how long were you given to accept the position?
Accepted last Thursday, my deadline is tomorrow. Whoops, I need to turn in some paperwork I forgot about.

Thanks for your replies! Does anyone know if the HPWL is ranked? It seems like it is...

For those of you looking to decrease your cost of attendance there are a couple things to consider:

- Insurance: Einstein's is ~4800 for the academic year, if you're able to stay on your parents plan you can save there. If you're older than 25 or your parents aren't covering you, then you might have to bite the bullet (like me!).

- Housing: their estimated cost is 11350 for housing/utilities (at 1135 a month). When I called they told me this estimate is for those who will are living off-campus (they wanted the COA to be cover the entire student body, on and off campus). Those of you on campus are really looking at whatever your portion of rent will be x 10 (~430, ~550, ~750). I went with 6000 to be safe knowing I won't be placed in a studio.

Thanks for your replies! Does anyone know if the HPWL is ranked? It seems like it is...
There's probably some kind of method to admitting people from the list. If you really want to attend, I think a letter of intent, especially since you're holding an acceptance somewhere else, could go a long way (it seemed to help people this year and in previous years).

Last edited:
Sent a letter of intent early this month, still no response. Have been in HPWL since late March...gradually losing hope. Einstein is my top choice.

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you looking to decrease your cost of attendance there are a couple things to consider:

- Insurance: Einstein's is ~4800 for the academic year, if you're able to stay on your parents plan you can save there. If you're older than 25 or your parents aren't covering you, then you might have to bite the bullet (like me!).

Thanks for the info! Do you have any idea on how we can either accept or decline Einstein's insurance?

Thanks for the info! Do you have any idea on how we can either accept or decline Einstein's insurance?

If its the same as last year, there will be a form that you need to submit during orientation week if you want to waive it. If not, i think you may be automatically signed up for it but not 100% sure

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Sent a letter of intent early this month, still no response. Have been in HPWL since late March...gradually losing hope. Einstein is my top choice.

I've also been on HPWL since then and it's super nervewracking :(

I was HPWL and wrote a letter saying that Einstein is a priority school for me and I would attend over all schools that have currently accepted me. I was accepted 2 days later.

I have also sent multiple strong letters of interest and remain on the HPWL.

Has everyone who go the "still interested" email subsequently gotten an acceptance?

Has everyone who go the "still interested" email subsequently gotten an acceptance?

Yeah I responded with a lot enthusiasm and received an acceptance a few days later. If I hadn't responded to that email, I'm positive I wouldn't have had any chance at all.

Last edited:
Got the email but telling them I am already into my top choice, hoping one of you gets the spot!!

Got the email but telling them I am already into my top choice, hoping one of you gets the spot!!

Did you get it yesterday?

Has anyone gotten accepted from the HPWL without getting that "are you interested" email, specifically if you've sent several interest emails already?

Has anyone gotten accepted from the HPWL without getting that "are you interested" email, specifically if you've sent several interest emails already?

Yep, got it yesterday

That's what happened to me last year. I responded to the initial HPWL email with my interest and then got an acceptance w/o the "are you still interested" email

Anyone know what type of stethoscope we get at the white coat ceremony? I was recently gifted one (!) and am trying to figure out what to do.

Anyone know what type of stethoscope we get at the white coat ceremony? I was recently gifted one (!) and am trying to figure out what to do.

Littmann Cardiology III from 3M.

-At least thats the one they gave us last year

Not exactly like you can give back the gifted stethoscope lol

Omg of course not! I'm just trying to figure out if I should sell the one I get from Einstein or what (turns out they're the same model).

The stethoscopes they gave us last year had a engraved message on the diaphragm. The stethoscopes were a gift from the Einstein Alumni Association. Sorry I didn't mention that above, I forgot about it until I looked at my stethoscope today.

Omg of course not! I'm just trying to figure out if I should sell the one I get from Einstein or what (turns out they're the same model).

As said above, the one you get from Einstein is engraved on the bell. You'd be better off selling the one you got as a gift

has anyone else heard back recently? how much time were people given to decide after being accepted?

Edit: looks like they got 5 days

Additionally has anyone asked the admissions office about hpwl movement? Any idea what the probability of getting accepted at this stage is?

I've called the admissions office to ask about hpwl status/movement. They wouldn't say anything other than 'it's a wait list and we anticipate slow movement throughout the summer'. Hopefully there's some more movement soon!

Reactions: 1 users