2015-2016 George Washington University Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Complete 7/17, no word yet, still complete, so haven't been reviewed yet. Really hoping I at least get an II, I work in D.C. and love love love the area, would be very happy to stick around!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you tell me what you like about the area so much? I've only been to DC once for about 10 days lol.

I personally think that DC is a great city with lots of diversity. To me, it's a little less intimidating than NYC since there are less skyscrapers and a good deal less people, but still busy enough that I feel like I'm in a large city with all the hustle and bustle. Foggy Bottom, where GW is, is a nice area, it's within walking distance to Georgetown, which is charming, and also within walking distance of the White House and National Mall. If you're not into walking super far, I think the metro and public transportation in DC are great. Each area of the city has so much diversity and character with beautiful architecture in spots and quaint little places. There is a ton of great food, lots of free attractions (all of the Smithsonian museums!) and parts of DC have a view of the Potomac, but are also not too far away from some good hiking trails, like Great Falls, or Shenandoah isn't more than 2 hours away.

(Can you tell I love DC?)
 
Can you tell me what you like about the area so much? I've only been to DC once for about 10 days lol.
DC has a great vibe. It's a pretty young city with a lot to do (Smithsonians, Georgetown waterfront, bars and restaurants). Very walkable. Plus the GW area in Foggy Bottom is a safe, relatively contained area so you get a mini campus in the middle of the city. I've spent a good deal of time in the area, and I have no complaints.
 
I didn't get an email, but I just checked the portal and it says

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

jul 14th submitted
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't get an email, but I just checked the portal and it says

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

jul 14th submitted
+1 with that hold status.
 
I didn't get an email, but I just checked the portal and it says

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

jul 14th submitted

+1000
 
I didn't get an email, but I just checked the portal and it says

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

jul 14th submitted
+1, just checked status today but not sure when it appeared. Secondary submitted on July 19
 
From last year's thread, it seems like you could be on hold for months.. We have no way of telling whether we are on the top for reconsideration for II or at the bottom to be rejected in March! I guess at least no point in checking the portal anymore. Would rather prefer a rejection than hoping for an email for months!!
 
They have a mass exodus of rejections in October, though.
From last year's thread, it seems like you could be on hold for months.. We have no way of telling whether we are on the top for reconsideration for II or at the bottom to be rejected in March! I guess at least no point in checking the portal anymore. Would rather prefer a rejection than hoping for an email for months!!
 
yep, i did.

your application is complete (for weeks) --> under review --> (next morning) interview invite

ooooh. Has anyone gone from under review to hold? or is the typical pattern either complete --> hold --> II/rejection, or complete --> under review --> II?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@agoron, when did you submit your secondary?

Does your portal just say "Your app is under review currently"?
 
Early August isn't too late!!! Or so I believe. I'm still doing secondaries.

Thanks! I am studying at Georgetown this upcoming year and I went to visit Washington DC and realized how amazing of a city it is! So I figured, I should probably add GWU to my list as well!
 
Wait, there is a hold for re-review and a general hold?

I though there was just a hold for re-review. I would think the general hold is the equivalent of either "your application is complete, blah blah" or "your file is under review" but I thought being put on hold referred to being on hold for re-review, and that they have already looked at your app, but are not making a decision right now.
 
yoooo got that II, LizzyM ~73. Had the complete thing for like two weeks, noticed the "your app is under review" message yesterday (although I wasn't around at all to check from Friday till Monday so it coulda been updated any of those days). Just got the invite this morn, no re-review message

first II for me, cool way to start off the morning
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yoooo got that II, LizzyM ~73. Had the complete thing for like two weeks, noticed the "your app is under review" message yesterday (although I wasn't around at all to check from Friday till Monday so it coulda been updated any of those days). Just got the invite this morn, no re-review message

first II for me, cool way to start off the morning

Congrats! When were you complete? Also been on that status since Friday or so.
 
I submitted 7/10, although my school didn't even send my letter packet out till the 15th, so I'm guessing I was complete somewhere around 7/16-7/17?

Gotcha, I'm exactly the same, complete 7/17 since that's when my school sent out my letter packet. Hoping for an II, but been under review for a few days now, so we'll see.