You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 George Washington University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I mean that seems like a valid idea. I can see adcoms across the country being slower than usual to account for the new MCAT as well. It may take a while for them to decide upon how to best interpret its scores and for new takers of that test to be marked "complete."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
Hey guys. I am kind of confused by this hold thing, are we agreeing that everyone is put on hold before getting an II? I have a 3.88/36 and good ECs so I thought I would get an interview.....
no, i think some will get interviews others will be rejected....we'll never know

how many times a day do you guys check the portal?! hahaa this is makin me go nuts. I think I should limit my checking to 1x a day...
I think they will email you if you get an II, so there's really no reason to check the portal!no, i think some will get interviews others will be rejected....we'll never know
how many times a day do you guys check the portal?! hahaa this is makin me go nuts. I think I should limit my checking to 1x a day...
I think they will email you if you get an II, so there's really no reason to check the portal!
doesn't help that i have my personal email page up all day at work haaahaaaa
doesn't help that i have my personal email page up all day at work haaahaaaa![]()
^^^^ TRUTH!
I really wish I didn't have pc access, I'd be a lot more calm.
.
no, i think some will get interviews others will be rejected....we'll never know
how many times a day do you guys check the portal?! hahaa this is makin me go nuts. I think I should limit my checking to 1x a day...
I'm going nuts every time someone asks if hold means II or reject, especially when someone says they have a 36 and expects an interview.
FYI I just heard from someone that GW likes to put people on hold who they think are so qualified that they won't want to go there to make their matriculation data better. For example, someone with great stats who is from Maryland would probably get into UMSOM and choose that over GW because it is a better school.
How does putting someone on hold make the matriculation data better?
Explain further?FYI I just heard from someone that GW likes to put people on hold who they think are so qualified that they won't want to go there to make their matriculation data better. For example, someone with great stats who is from Maryland would probably get into UMSOM and choose that over GW because it is a better school.
he's saying to improve yield. admitting people more likely to matriculate improves yieldExplain further?
I see.... I have high-ish stats, but I'm a re-applicant so I'd be thrilled to go anywhere! I hope they don't discount me just because my numbers are higher than their averages 🙁he's saying to improve yield. admitting people more likely to matriculate improves yield
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FINALLY Complete App! I also didn't get a complete email~
I see.... I have high-ish stats, but I'm a re-applicant so I'd be thrilled to go anywhere! I hope they don't discount me just because my numbers are higher than their averages 🙁
That's how I feel too. Not a re-app but higher than their average stats. The thing is that I would definitely want to go here because I have lived in DC for the past year and have family/significant other in the area. Didn't mention it in my app and now am kind of regretting it...
he's saying to improve yield. admitting people more likely to matriculate improves yield
I agree. I have heard that too that they really want to pursue people who they think truly want to go there and would not turn them down for somewhere else. I guess that makes sense.
he's saying to improve yield. admitting people more likely to matriculate improves yield
Yeah, that's unlikely imo. I have low stats, and I got put on hold roughly two weeks ago. Has anyone gotten an official rejection? Tons of people are on hold and there are very few if any rejections, so I would say that being put on hold means absolutely nothing.
Yes - I didhas anyone gotten an II without going through the 'on-hold' phase?
what were your stats. if you dont mindYes - I did
Srg3yb when did you submit your secondary if you don't mind me asking
7/8Srg3yb when did you submit your secondary if you don't mind me asking
Hope so, would be ecstatic to receive an interview here.I am on hold complete 7/9. My speculation is a ton of people have gotten holds but no one has (on SDN at least) indicated they got an interview this past week. Maybe they are getting ready to send out the next back of interview requests to some of the people on holds. Anyone think this has weight?
I was complete 7/9 and I'm still complete. I just received my first II from Georgetown (yay!) and I'm wondering if it's appropriate to send an in the area email....? I'm getting nervous since there's been zero status change with my application and I'll be making travel plans soon to be next door!
I was complete 7/9 and I'm still complete. I just received my first II from Georgetown (yay!) and I'm wondering if it's appropriate to send an in the area email....? I'm getting nervous since there's been zero status change with my application and I'll be making travel plans soon to be next door!
I am having the same dilemma with Georgetown! I haven't contacted them yet though..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Status change from the big long paragraph saying everything is complete to "Your file is under review".
so nervewracking
II this morning for 9/4! 🙂)
complete 7/15, LizzyM 70
I found out that a complete status = not reviewed yet. The majority of applicants are "put on hold" post review, very few are given an immediate decision.
However, I submitted on 7/9 after lunch.. I'm 99% sure I had the complete status that weekend.. So if anything, I should've been complete by 7/10 or 7/13, but there is no change in status for me. People 7/14 have been getting reviewed, this is so stressful.
However, I submitted on 7/9 after lunch.. I'm 99% sure I had the complete status that weekend.. So if anything, I should've been complete by 7/10 or 7/13, but there is no change in status for me. People 7/14 have been getting reviewed, this is so stressful.
Last edited:
I am pre-writing my secondaries so I was curious if the character limit was with or without spaces? Thank you!
I was complete 7/9 and I'm still complete. I just received my first II from Georgetown (yay!) and I'm wondering if it's appropriate to send an in the area email....? I'm getting nervous since there's been zero status change with my application and I'll be making travel plans soon to be next door!
Submitted 7/8 and I've been marked as complete since then as well. Eventually they'll get to it, just try to remain optimistic. Them not reading it doesn't mean you're a bad candidate 🙂.
I did! But it still says complete I had to keep reading for the hold
I was complete 7/9 and have been on hold for two weeks now ...Anyone having any movement? I'm still "complete" and was complete 7/9 - 7/10.
I was complete 7/9 and have been on hold for two weeks now ...
On the plus side, they've reviewed your application. I feel like this lack of status update = rejection or my file just was burned to smithereens... 🙁
I submitted on 7/9 and have been complete since then as well. No status change. No hold. Just complete.
+1I submitted on 7/9 and have been complete since then as well. No status change. No hold. Just complete.
I'm planning to call today and ask what gives lol. I need to make travel arrangements for the GU interview but I heard they aren't receptive to "in the area" emails, so maybe if I call and explain that I'm too poor to travel to DC twice they'll either kindly reject me now or give me an update lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone seen any precedent on this in the past? I can't seem to find an answer.
I'm planning to call today and ask what gives lol. I need to make travel arrangements for the GU interview but I heard they aren't receptive to "in the area" emails, so maybe if I call and explain that I'm too poor to travel to DC twice they'll either kindly reject me now or give me an update lol.
When I called, the person who I spoke to said if it hasn't been changed to on hold from complete, it means they haven't reviewed you. Furthermore, very few people get a II without a change in status. But they're rolling... so I'm just sitting here like, what gives?
Well it looks like another poster who was complete 7/15 has received an II, meanwhile my application (our applications) are sitting there without being looked at. While I greatly appreciate consideration of my application, a school that claims to be rolling should review applications in the order they're received. I'm putting off making travel plans to wait for a decision from a school that hasn't even looked at my application yet. If you're going to reject me, at least do it soon so I know and can move on with my plans!When I called, the person who I spoke to said if it hasn't been changed to on hold from complete, it means they haven't reviewed you. Furthermore, very few people get a II without a change in status. But they're rolling... so I'm just sitting here like, what gives?
Im still just confused by the hold process. I think if schools better outlined wgat the review process was like and tye different outcomes we could expect (i had no idea Hold was an option) then they would have less concerned applicants calling them. Good luck rachiie and let us know what you hear
Just called a bit ago.
The general process is Complete->> Hold->> Review->>Re-review->> Decision.
If you are currently Complete, you have not yet been reviewed.
If you are going to be in the area, you are encouraged to submit an "in the area" update via the online portal at least 1 month in advance, as they generally try to give a month's notice to schedule an interview. There is no guarantee that they will accommodate the request, but you won't get any grief for the update and it may help you with scheduling around a logistical nightmare lol.
The general process is Complete->> Hold->> Review->>Re-review->> Decision.
If you are currently Complete, you have not yet been reviewed.
If you are going to be in the area, you are encouraged to submit an "in the area" update via the online portal at least 1 month in advance, as they generally try to give a month's notice to schedule an interview. There is no guarantee that they will accommodate the request, but you won't get any grief for the update and it may help you with scheduling around a logistical nightmare lol.
