2015-2016 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone knows the statistics regarding how many people they grant interviews vs how many candidates they actually accept?

Members don't see this ad.

upload_2015-9-10_18-52-40.png

data for last year

Attachments

• msar meharry.png
    msar meharry.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: 1 users
Hey Guys I would really appreciate some info about those who they are interviewing. Now i turned my secondary in on the 3rd of Aug (initial app in on first day) , But I am in State in fact live very close to the University. I see many ppl have gotten IIs. This has me worried. I am fairly competitive and exceed all the median criteria of the University (This has me very confused as why I have heard nothing yet). I am wondering whether most of the II that are being sent out are Out of State or In State. Can some of the people who got II please let me know whether they are OOS or IS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys I would really appreciate some info about those who they are interviewing. Now i turned my secondary in on the 3rd of Aug (initial app in on first day) , But I am in State in fact live very close to the University. I see many ppl have gotten IIs. This has me worried. I am fairly competitive and exceed all the median criteria of the University (This has me very confused as why I have heard nothing yet). I am wondering whether most of the II that are being sent out are Out of State or In State. Can some of the people who got II please let me know whether they are OOS or IS?

Are you a URM? Or better yet do you have a passion for the underserved? Meharry is very strong on taking people who match their mission. I'm interviewing as an OOS applicant but my whole application screams future physician for the underserved. Also, they may not have reviewed your application yet, it's a long cycle. They interview into next year, be patient my fellow applicant.

Reactions: 2 users
Silence is Golden!!!! At least it is not a Reject ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Hopefully that means a wave of IIs will be coming up soon. Lol wishful thinking :)

Rejected just now :confused: happy Friday to me!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of state app LizzyM 62 submitted 08/12 annndddddddddd rejjjeecctteeddd today.

Last edited:
Has anyone received a II and scored in the 490- 499 range on the MCAT?

I have a question, and I would appreciate an honest answer (I don't mind bluntness). I need to know if I have any chance of receiving a secondary, interview, acceptance from Meharry. I have a low MCAT score, and I know it's not indicative of my ability, but I fear that it plus my late application will ruin my chances completely.

Undergrad Stats/Info:
URM
In-state
From medically underserved area
496 MCAT (really sucks, because I didn't get a chance to take the old one and had very little prep for the new one...I was scoring 28+ on old practice tests from Kaplan and AAMC, with a 24 being my lowest ever)
~ 3.8 cum GPA (strong upward trend, made 3 Bs from sophomore to senior year); ~ 3.7 sci GPA
3 years research experience (some at my undergrad, two summers at two top 10 research institutions), 1 first author publication
Many hours of community service, volunteer work, tutoring, some shadowing (not a ton)
President of organization for 2 years, involved in many other things on campus (take my word for it)
Former college athlete
Won many department and research-based awards

Post Grad:
Currently in competitive post-bacc research program at top institution

Do I have any chance, at all?
You have about a 37.8% chance of matriculating into a US MD program (https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstable25-2.pdf) . Not competitive but honestly you never know till you try. But if you haven't applied already, don't bother. If I were you, I probably would use a year to retake my MCAT. And a late application...ooo..... :/ IDK.

Your post bacc program - did they prep you for the MCAT? Is it one of those programs where you get an upper leg into the medical school? That may be your best bet if you decide to take your chances.

Good luck!

In 2014 86 students matched at a rate of 88%. They do allow some students to 'decel' over five years. When I visited the campus I was told they had an attrition rate of 4%, higher than average for allopathic schools.
Thank you!

My AMCAS is verified, but I'm just now getting my MCAT score back. I have already added Meharry to my list of schools. Do you think Meharry will give me a chance?

Or at least a secondary?

And no, this program is strictly research-based.
I concur with Goro! It is worth giving it a shot. You honestly never know till you know.

Does anyone know when the next round of interviews come out? My secondary was completed on 9/20.

Does anyone know when the next round of interviews come out? My secondary was completed on 9/20.

People are still waiting to hear back with early August complete dates. It'll probably be a while. :unsure:

Last edited:
Already submitted mine 9/19, but what length did you all keep for your essay?

Just submitted my secondary. Did you guys get an (automated) e-mail saying it's been received, or should I wait until Monday to get that e-mail?

After submitting the secondary, I received the typical e-mail saying it's been received and will be process for consideration. But this particular sentence confuses me: "You will receive written communication indicating the Admissions Committee's decision."

Does this mean that we'll get notification of both IIs and denials through snail mail? There won't be phone calls or e-mails?

Reeeeeeejected.
Secondary submitted late August.
Lizzy 69.
Non-URM.
Oh well.:whistle:

Rejected, OOS, non-URM, Meharry was my first choice.

I'm sorry! Was this pre-interview or post-interview? And email or snail mail?
It's okay, I've got some other leads that lessen the sting!
It was pre-interview and sent via email! Best of luck to you!

I guess I need to move on. Completed 8/5 :(

The Axe finally fell
OSS LizzyM 74 completed 8/5

3 - 3 at this stage is a blessing with lots more to hear from. Best Wishes everyone.

Last edited:
OOS ORM, I don't fully understand why I was rejected. I thought that I fit their mission, had stats on the higher end of their average matriculants, wrote what I thought was a compelling secondary. Oh well, I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Best of luck everybody!
sorry to hear! what was the time frame from completion to rejection if you don't mind me asking?

I shall add to this list of rejections lol. LizzyM 66, complete around late August, nonURM. Siighh, Good luck everyone!

II here for Oct. 5th also.
Excited to (probably unknowingly) meet you all!
Best of luck to everyone

To all of you who got invited for an interview, what did you focus on in your secondary essay? And the questions regarding underserved etc.
I do want to work wtih the underserved, but I also want to work in academia.

Anyone interviewing here tomorrow and want to do something afterwards?

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone already in town for tomorrow's interview, I wouldn't mind meeting up tonight to explore, eat, grab drinks or whatever. Send me a message!

I submitted my secondary this morning but just realized I copy and pasted a different edit of my essay... Is there anyway I could change this?

The people that interviewed today, How was your interview day?