2015-2016 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I submitted my secondary this morning but just realized I copy and pasted a different edit of my essay... Is there anyway I could change this?
Unfortunately no. You can try to call and ask tho, maybe they'll have mercy
 
So I gave them a call this morning and they said "I could try to email it to them". Do you still think this will have a negative impact on my application when it is being reviewed?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How different is the second draft? It could b seen as being careless the first time but they did give u the option of emailing it..i wouldn't tbh. Is there more in the second draft or something?
 
How different is the second draft? It could b seen as being careless the first time but they did give u the option of emailing it..i wouldn't tbh. Is there more in the second draft or something?
It isn't drastically different, but I did add some more things that were, I think, more specific to the school and helped the essay flow a little better.
 
It isn't drastically different, but I did add some more things that were, I think, more specific to the school and helped the essay flow a little better.

In that case i wouldn't recommend sending it. They'd probably compare the two and not think it was necessary to change it. Doubt they'd allow other applicants to slightly edit their essay 😛
 
The people that interviewed today, How was your interview day?

To me, it had its good and bad. The best part, to me, were the other interviewees and some students we came across. Everyone was really down-to-earth and I could sense the "family atmosphere" that I had heard thrown around before I got there. Even after the official interview, some current students saw us hanging out around the cafeteria and came and talked to us. It felt good having people be so friendly and it helped put me at ease.

It was also pretty clear that they take their mission very seriously. The theme of eliminating health care disparities was something that both of my interviewers and others made sure to stress.

For the not-as-good, my perspective might be skewed because it was my first interview of the cycle/ever (and it was also their first round of interviewing students this cycle too I think), the day seemed disorganized. It looked like we were going to start at 8 with an introductory presentation, but I guess there were technical difficulties (they never really explained) and that didn't happen, so we all sat in the room for at least 30 mins not knowing what was going on. Then they came in and said interviews were starting now and proceeded to rattle off some names. Those people left and the rest of us were in the room. This continued until lunch, around noon, and it made for sort of an awkward period where no one really knew what was going on or when they would suddenly be called for their interviews. We also didn't get to a financial aid presentation at the end, although we were given printed slides.

Overall, though, I liked it! I could definitely see myself there. Again, it was my first, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. But those were my thoughts, if anyone else was there they can chime in as well.
 
Did anyone who interviewed Monday hear anything back today??? I know the said maybe today at the earliest so I've been checking my email like crazy!
 
Did anyone who interviewed Monday hear anything back today??? I know the said maybe today at the earliest so I've been checking my email like crazy!

I think it is actually this Friday (10/16) that we may hear something back. Traffic rules do not allow regular admission decisions before October 15th! Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To all of you who got invited for an interview, what did you focus on in your secondary essay? And the questions regarding underserved etc.
I do want to work wtih the underserved, but I also want to work in academia.

I talked about how many times I've met Me harry staff at conferences and my conversations with them.
I talked about the community that exists within the university.
I talked about how excited I am to reunite with my friends who are already there, then I talked about my research interests and specifically mentioned faculty I'll like to work with while there.
Then I talked about my experiences working in underserved communities.
I think that's it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, i got an II today! Scheduled for next Monday, too short of a notice.. Anyone else interviewing on that day ?
 
I got that email today. Don't really know what to make of it lol. At least it's no rejection.

When were you complete?
I got the email as well. I was complete in July, does this mean they just started reviewing our applications?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received an email from Meharry stating that my verified application had been received and was being screened. Does this mean that I won't be getting a supplemental?