You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Mercer University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did everyone else get an email from Mercer yesterday?
Yep! Gave me a mini heart attack when I first saw it even though I knew the committee didn't meet yesterday. 🙁
I didn't get an email... What did it say?? Am I rejected? 😢
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't get an email... What did it say?? Am I rejected? 😢
The message mainly explained the process of post-interview notifications from the school and what applicants can expect. Interestingly enough, did anyone else notice the part about applicants who are not offered an acceptance being rolled over for review at the next meeting? It said the next adcom meeting would be in January, not December. Could this have been a mistake, or is the committee not meeting in December?
The message mainly explained the process of post-interview notifications from the school and what applicants can expect. Interestingly enough, did anyone else notice the part about applicants who are not offered an acceptance being rolled over for review at the next meeting? It said the next adcom meeting would be in January, not December. Could this have been a mistake, or is the committee not meeting in December?
I was wondering this too because I was told it was December 16th. I'm thinking/hoping it was a mistake.
I was wondering this too because I was told it was December 16th. I'm thinking/hoping it was a mistake.
I assume anything is possible, really. Could be a mistake, the meeting may have been postponed, or they could be using the Dec 16 slot to review all new applicants, leaving January to evaluate the rollovers.
Seems as though we'll just need to wait and see. Good luck, everyone!
No interview yet! Instate with a 31 and 3.9..should I be worried?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
has anyone called the office to ask about the January/December meeting confusion?
I tried, but couldn't reach anyone...
I tried, but couldn't reach anyone...
but do you know if those who didn't hear back from november's meeting will be reconsidered in december or january?There will be a meeting on December 16 and another one in January.
the email said january, but i remember them saying on the interview day that we would be reconsidered every month...
okkkk thank you! 🙂Yes, if you did not hear back in November, you will be rolled over to the december meeting.
are you also waiting to hear back?
Sorry, I'm a bit late to the game here guys. Just wanted to say to keep your heads up! I got accepted ED with a 3.6gpa and a 27 on my MCAT, though I did have a pretty nontraditional application...So some of you guys with the 3.9s and 30+ should be fine! I know the process is pretty grueling/frustrating, but when you haven't heard back just think of things you can be doing in the interim to IMPROVE your application! Good luck!!
I'm interviewing in savannah 1/19. Traditional student, I have a 27 MCAT 3.4 overall GPA and 3.55 Science with 140 showing hrs, 160 research hours, from a rural area and go to school in a rural area, few months of CNA work with severely disabled underprivileged pediatric patients. 3 semesters of college football and Ive worked 20-30 hrs a week at night for the past 3 years (Ive heard their admissions looks favorably on students who maintained jobs in undergrad). Whats my odds looking like here?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If they are interviewing you, then all you have to do is show them you are the same person as the application and be personable. If they want to see you, you're practically accepted already.I'm interviewing in savannah 1/19. Traditional student, I have a 27 MCAT 3.4 overall GPA and 3.55 Science with 140 showing hrs, 160 research hours, from a rural area and go to school in a rural area, few months of CNA work with severely disabled underprivileged pediatric patients. 3 semesters of college football and Ive worked 20-30 hrs a week at night for the past 3 years (Ive heard their admissions looks favorably on students who maintained jobs in undergrad). Whats my odds looking like here?
I'm interviewing in savannah 1/19. Traditional student, I have a 27 MCAT 3.4 overall GPA and 3.55 Science with 140 showing hrs, 160 research hours, from a rural area and go to school in a rural area, few months of CNA work with severely disabled underprivileged pediatric patients. 3 semesters of college football and Ive worked 20-30 hrs a week at night for the past 3 years (Ive heard their admissions looks favorably on students who maintained jobs in undergrad). Whats my odds looking like here?
I would say you're probably looking pretty good. The average acceptance stats last year for Mercer were a 28 MCAT and 3.6 GPA so you're relatively close to those. The research may not help you much at Mercer because they're not heavily research-based, but still be prepared to talk about it if they ask. The rural area will probably help you out as will the work with underprivileged patients. I'm not sure how Mercer looks at sports, but I would imagine it would help with your well-roundedness. I'm curious though, do you have any shadowing? I know at the seminars I've gone to where Dr. Prakash spoke, shadowing is definitely something they look for (in fact, they use it in their ranking system).
You have an interview so congrats! Now you just have to bring it home. While they look at academics to put out an interview invite, keep in mind that they still look at it to determine acceptance. Basically, after you interview, your interviewers write a report on their thoughts of you and your fit to the program, and each committee member ranks you 2-5 on various factors like fit to the program, academics, shadowing, altruism, personality, etc. And then they decide at each meeting what numbers to let in (last meeting, it was a 4.7 and up). While it's great that you have an interview, I wouldn't say you're "practically accepted already." Plenty of people (myself included) got rejected or waitlisted last year post-interview, and plenty of people get rejected or waitlisted to programs all around the country post-interview. Last year, 400ish people were interviewed, 100 accepted, 150ish waitlisted, and 150ish rejected. They just cannot accept everyone. But relax (I interviewed in Savannah this year, and the people are SUPER nice) and explain to them why you're a great fit for the program, and you'll do fine! Good luck!
Does anyone know how lethal it might be to not have any primary care shadowing? I have shadowing from other specialties (mostly surgical, ~200 hrs from a few different offices) and some primary care-like volunteering/shadowing on a service learning trip abroad. It's not that I'm not interested in primary care (because I am!), but most of my attempts to shadow primary care docs have fallen through while the other specialities ended up working out.
Does anyone know how lethal it might be to not have any primary care shadowing? I have shadowing from other specialties (mostly surgical, ~200 hrs from a few different offices) and some primary care-like volunteering/shadowing on a service learning trip abroad. It's not that I'm not interested in primary care (because I am!), but most of my attempts to shadow primary care docs have fallen through while the other specialities ended up working out.
I don't think it's lethal. It may not help you, but I don't think it will hurt you either. They understand that these shadowing opportunities are difficult to acquire. They just mainly want to see that you know what you're getting yourself into by wanting to become a physician.
I don't think it's lethal. It may not help you, but I don't think it will hurt you either. They understand that these shadowing opportunities are difficult to acquire. They just mainly want to see that you know what you're getting yourself into by wanting to become a physician.
Thanks! My interview is next month and I'm starting to get very nervous. I didn't hear back from the IS schools until recently despite applying relatively early, so I have a nagging feeling there's something off about my essays/LORs that I'm unaware of... it's manifesting in some pretty crazy nerves!
Thanks! My interview is next month and I'm starting to get very nervous. I didn't hear back from the IS schools until recently despite applying relatively early, so I have a nagging feeling there's something off about my essays/LORs that I'm unaware of... it's manifesting in some pretty crazy nerves!
No problem! Good luck! And don't worry about not hearing back until recently. They still have around 40 spots I think, and the waitlist moves pretty well! A good amount of the current M1 class came from later interviews or the waitlist I think.
I would say you're probably looking pretty good. The average acceptance stats last year for Mercer were a 28 MCAT and 3.6 GPA so you're relatively close to those. The research may not help you much at Mercer because they're not heavily research-based, but still be prepared to talk about it if they ask. The rural area will probably help you out as will the work with underprivileged patients. I'm not sure how Mercer looks at sports, but I would imagine it would help with your well-roundedness. I'm curious though, do you have any shadowing? I know at the seminars I've gone to where Dr. Prakash spoke, shadowing is definitely something they look for (in fact, they use it in their ranking system).
You have an interview so congrats! Now you just have to bring it home. While they look at academics to put out an interview invite, keep in mind that they still look at it to determine acceptance. Basically, after you interview, your interviewers write a report on their thoughts of you and your fit to the program, and each committee member ranks you 2-5 on various factors like fit to the program, academics, shadowing, altruism, personality, etc. And then they decide at each meeting what numbers to let in (last meeting, it was a 4.7 and up). While it's great that you have an interview, I wouldn't say you're "practically accepted already." Plenty of people (myself included) got rejected or waitlisted last year post-interview, and plenty of people get rejected or waitlisted to programs all around the country post-interview. Last year, 400ish people were interviewed, 100 accepted, 150ish waitlisted, and 150ish rejected. They just cannot accept everyone. But relax (I interviewed in Savannah this year, and the people are SUPER nice) and explain to them why you're a great fit for the program, and you'll do fine! Good luck!
For shadowing I have 140 hours. 80 with an Orthopedic surgeon, 40 in the clinic and 40 in the OR and 60 in the clinic with an ENT. The letters of recommendation I got from them are fantastic in regards to my character, personality and drive.
For shadowing I have 140 hours. 80 with an Orthopedic surgeon, 40 in the clinic and 40 in the OR and 60 in the clinic with an ENT. The letters of recommendation I got from them are fantastic in regards to my character, personality and drive.
You sound like you're good there too as long as you can talk about your experiences! The interviews here are really relaxed, and everyone is very friendly. You'll do great! Good luck!
Just joined the pool as I interviewed a few days ago! Dec 16th...it's going down! 

based on what you guys have heard and observed from past years, how likely is it to get accepted in months where you're being reconsidered, as opposed to the first month's meeting after your interview?
i'm stressing out for this dec 16 meeting, since i interviewed on nov 10!
i'm stressing out for this dec 16 meeting, since i interviewed on nov 10!
Good luck to everyone interviewing this week and those up for review at the meeting on Wednesday!
Good luck tomorrow guys! Based on previous posts, seems like the call could happen anytime tomorrow (as late as 930 pm) or even Thursday morning! Safe to say, these next couple of days are going to feel like forever.
Any news yet?? 
Im not entirely sure when the adcom meets...but 6 pm sounds reasonable..and could explain why some received calls as late as 930! So they could be meeting...right now. 

ACCEPTED!! Got my phone call about 5 minutes ago 

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And the neuroticism begins..
ACCEPTED!! Got my phone call about 5 minutes ago![]()
Congrats! That's awesome. I assume more will hear back as the night goes on!
Well...1 SDNer thus far. Slow day. lol.
Well...1 SDNer thus far. Slow day. lol.
If it helps, my friend interviewed on the 10th and was told that the cutoff for this meeting was the week before. So you may not have been in this meeting.
If it helps, my friend interviewed on the 10th and was told that the cutoff for this meeting was the week before. So you may not have been in this meeting.

lol. Unique one I hadn't used before! Would apply better if people still used desktops...
lol. Unique one I hadn't used before! Would apply better if people still used desktops...
we get no love .... =(
Onto the next one I suppose....1/20 I believe?!
so no one else has heard anything? 🙁
At this time, is it safe to say that all of those who were accepted at last night's meeting have been notified?
Looks like everyone has been notified at this point! 1 more month :/
I would say you're probably looking pretty good. The average acceptance stats last year for Mercer were a 28 MCAT and 3.6 GPA so you're relatively close to those. The research may not help you much at Mercer because they're not heavily research-based, but still be prepared to talk about it if they ask. The rural area will probably help you out as will the work with underprivileged patients. I'm not sure how Mercer looks at sports, but I would imagine it would help with your well-roundedness. I'm curious though, do you have any shadowing? I know at the seminars I've gone to where Dr. Prakash spoke, shadowing is definitely something they look for (in fact, they use it in their ranking system).
You have an interview so congrats! Now you just have to bring it home. While they look at academics to put out an interview invite, keep in mind that they still look at it to determine acceptance. Basically, after you interview, your interviewers write a report on their thoughts of you and your fit to the program, and each committee member ranks you 2-5 on various factors like fit to the program, academics, shadowing, altruism, personality, etc. And then they decide at each meeting what numbers to let in (last meeting, it was a 4.7 and up). While it's great that you have an interview, I wouldn't say you're "practically accepted already." Plenty of people (myself included) got rejected or waitlisted last year post-interview, and plenty of people get rejected or waitlisted to programs all around the country post-interview. Last year, 400ish people were interviewed, 100 accepted, 150ish waitlisted, and 150ish rejected. They just cannot accept everyone. But relax (I interviewed in Savannah this year, and the people are SUPER nice) and explain to them why you're a great fit for the program, and you'll do fine! Good luck!
ugagrad1116, Do you know the stats of how many were accepted at the meeting on Wednesday and what score was accepted?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ugagrad1116, Do you know the stats of how many were accepted at the meeting on Wednesday and what score was accepted?
I don't. I tried to call earlier and couldn't get through. I left a message, and she never called me back. If I find out, I'll post it!
I was curious if the score accepted at the later meetings was consistent with the first meetings or if this score would increase or decrease as the cycle goes on.I don't. I tried to call earlier and couldn't get through. I left a message, and she never called me back. If I find out, I'll post it!
I would imagine it would remain fairly consistent..as new applicants enter the pool every week. Once all interviews are conducted, I assume the threshold would come down a bit. Just how I would run admissions..of course..I'm just a measly pre medical student. 

In case y'all are interested, I interviewed 11/12. GPA 3.5, MCAT 33. They didn't mention how many they accepted or how many spots were left so I can't help there. There's still plenty of time! Good luck everyone!
Finally made a fb group.. if you just search "Mercer University School of Medicine Class of 2020"' on fb it should come up. If not - here's a link that hopefully works:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1607048459550157/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1607048459550157/
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
