2015-2016 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Glad to hear it y'all! Congrats and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does TCMC have an actual waitlist?
The way they do it is after an interview you're either rejected, accepted, or deferred. Deferral means that you'll be re-evaluated at every committee meeting until the end of interview season. If nothing changes (rejected or accepted) then you'll continue to be discussed at admissions committee meetings. At the end of the interview season, the remaining applicants in the "deferral" pool will make up the official waitlist. So there isn't an actual waitlist until after interview season is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a few questions and I believe I've addressed them here before but I still feel confused.
1. Does anyone know if TCMC distinguishes between a Letter of Intent and a Letter of Interest? I don't want to write an Intent letter because I don't want to back out of the commitment if for any reason I decide not to go.
2. Does anyone know how they prefer to receive LOIs? Email or handwritten? Addressed to the dean or addressed to the entire committee?
Anyone having any specific insight to letters of intent and letters of interest, I would really appreciate your help, as I am starting to become nervous that I won't get into any school.

Hello, I'm a current MD 1 at TCMC. I was waitlisted for 3 months and then I wrote a Letter of Intent on a word doc and print it out and mailed it to school. I got accepted a month later. I don't know if it was because of the letter, but I would suggest sending the letter through mail. They get tons of emails every day and I think it just shows how committed you are to the school if you send it through mail. That's just my opinion. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hello, I'm a current MD 1 at TCMC. I was waitlisted for 3 months and then I wrote a Letter of Intent on a word doc and print it out and mailed it to school. I got accepted a month later. I don't know if it was because of the letter, but I would suggest sending the letter through mail. They get tons of emails every day and I think it just shows how committed you are to the school if you send it through mail. That's just my opinion. Let me know if you have any questions!

did you send updates previously before sending the letter of intent? I know TCMC only accepts two updates and I've used both of mine, but I really want to go here, especially after attending the interview and actually being in Scranton for the first time and experiencing the ambiance of the school. Fingers crossed :)

Anyone know when the committee meets? or do they not release that info?

Anyone know when the committee meets? or do they not release that info?

Looking through this thread they seem to happen the first full week of every month. So next one should be around the week of March 7. Though don't quote me on this it's just an educated guess.

Withdrawing my acceptance here. It was a hard decision but I hope my seat goes to one of you deserving candidates.

Reactions: 3 users
hey everyone, I have been super MIA but I got an II from here out of nowhere. it will be my second time interviewing at TCMC and I was wondering since it's so late in the season... does anyone know how full the class actually is? and also when do they stop interviewing?..

committee meeting tomorrow? any late January interviewees hear back?

hey everyone, I have been super MIA but I got an II from here out of nowhere. it will be my second time interviewing at TCMC and I was wondering since it's so late in the season... does anyone know how full the class actually is? and also when do they stop interviewing?..

seems like the last interview date is march 11th according to their academic calendar. congrats on the II, can I ask how your first interview experience at TCMC was? and how long it took them to get back to you with a decision?

OK, so I am just going to put it out there since multiple people have PM'ed me about the question:

At TCMC, you are allowed to take shelf exams during 3rd year whenever you want during the 2nd half of the 3rd year. Because we have a half LIC + half block system, this is what the administration came up with. Are we trying to change it? I'd like to, but that will take some time.

It is unlike other schools where you do a surgery block, then the surgery shelf exam.... and then do the family med block, then the FM exam.... etc

At this school, you may take it whenever in the 2nd half of the 3rd year...has pros & cons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Made the tough decision to withdraw my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you guys!!!

Reactions: 2 users
not sure if the turnout is looking so good...

Well... From past posts, they seem to split the interviews they look at around mid-month... Like early November and late November seem to have been considered at different times (maybe I'm wrong about that)... Could be bad news, but I am holding out hope, I live on the west coast but a snail mail letter sent the beginning of February would've been delivered by now...? TBD I guess

Well... From past posts, they seem to split the interviews they look at around mid-month... Like early November and late November seem to have been considered at different times (maybe I'm wrong about that)... Could be bad news, but I am holding out hope, I live on the west coast but a snail mail letter sent the beginning of February would've been delivered by now...? TBD I guess

Yes true it is good to be optimistic. But I also take into account the fact that they have accepted people sometimes as fast as 2-3 weeks post interview and the bad news (deferrals, rejections) usually take the stated 6-8 weeks. Still trying to hang onto hope but can't let it hurt too bad if I get some bad news, just trying to prepare. I'm sure we'd both love to go to tcmc, so good luck! Will be posting as soon as I hear back

Reactions: 1 users
did you send updates previously before sending the letter of intent? I know TCMC only accepts two updates and I've used both of mine, but I really want to go here, especially after attending the interview and actually being in Scranton for the first time and experiencing the ambiance of the school. Fingers crossed :)
I've never send them updates. I just went straight to writing a letter of intent. Glad to hear you like it! :))

Received pre-matriculation stuff just now! Sort of surreal that this is all actually happening

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry everyone ,I need to vent for a second! I am no longer optimistic about my chances at TCMC. They have been pretty consistent and predictable when it comes to reviewing/releasing decisions. The trends suggest that the class is pretty much set after February. In the past there have been verrrrry few acceptances after February . Early in the cycle deferrals were clearly not soo bad as most eventually got accepted but at this point in the cycle most remaining on the deferred list will just roll over to the waitlist. Chances of getting off the 'alternate list' at TCMC are pretty slim. To be honest I rather them just cut me off and send the rejection letter than drag it out!

***There is a minute chance that some acceptances will be released tomorrow ....:whistle:

definitely not the attitude to have (not only throughout this process, but in life in general!). you've worked hard to get to where you are now and to even get an interview you've beat out thousands of other applicants. keep your head high and don't stress about what cant be done and just focus on the positive! have you sent them updates? and im sure there are other schools you will be hearing from! ive seen it again and again on this website; "its not over until its over" which is so true...to think you've been defeated before interview season is completely over is a mistake... don't stress (TOO MUCH), whats meant to happen will happen! best of luck

Reactions: 7 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Any mid January interviews hear back ?

Last edited:
Any mid January interviews hear back ?

OOS Re-applicant and January 13th interviewee here. I got a deferral email back on February 3rd (surprisingly quick response). Haven't heard anything else since then.

OOS Re-applicant and January 13th interviewee here. I got a deferral email back on February 3rd (surprisingly quick response). Haven't heard anything else since then.
I remember seeing you on last years thread! How do you think your interview went? also side note, LGR! fellow rangers fan checking in here

Does TCMC provide a spot to put luggage?

Rejected today :/.

It came to my spam mail. Because of this, TCMC, I reject your rejection.

Good luck everyone else!!

Rejected today :/.

It came to my spam mail. Because of this, TCMC, I reject your rejection.

Good luck everyone else!!
Sorry to hear that , if you don't mind me asking around when did you interview ?

I was deferred in December after interviewing in November, how does that sound?

I was deferred in December and accepted in February. If you haven't already, I would try to send an update on what you have been doing and incorporate that into why you think you fit the school. After my deferral, I was bit discouraged, but there is still a lot you can do to show how you fit the school. So at this point it is really up into your hands. TCMC was my top choice so I was not going to let this opportunity slip away with me doing nothing about it.

Reactions: 2 users
I was deferred, sent two updates in and still nothing. Im assuming I'll be rejected or wait listed soon, but sending updates can never hurt if you haven't already! I was deferred back in November.

I was deferred in December and accepted in February. If you haven't already, I would try to send an update on what you have been doing and incorporate that into why you think you fit the school. After my deferral, I was bit discouraged, but there is still a lot you can do to show how you fit the school. So at this point it is really up into your hands. TCMC was my top choice so I was not going to let this opportunity slip away with me doing nothing about it.

Congrats!

Last edited:
anyone know when the next committee meeting is?

Last edited:
it may be more of a silly question but are we supposed to include med schools that we've interviewed at for FAFSA or JUST the ones that accepted us?

it may be more of a silly question but are we supposed to include med schools that we've interviewed at for FAFSA or JUST the ones that accepted us?

You should include all the schools that you have been accepted into and all schools that you could possibly still be accepted into. Aka include any schools in which you have been waitlisted, interviewed at and are still waiting to hear back, or any other schools that could still offer you an interview and then an acceptance.

You should include all the schools that you have been accepted into and all schools that you could possibly still be accepted into. Aka include any schools in which you have been waitlisted, interviewed at and are still waiting to hear back, or any other schools that could still offer you an interview and then an acceptance.

Interesting, who told you this information out of curiosity ?

Interesting, who told you this information out of curiosity ?

They did because if you don't include them, then get off the waitlist, it could screw your chances over for getting any need based aid

They did because if you don't include them, then get off the waitlist, it could screw your chances over for getting any need based aid

That makes sense, I just thought it might be presumptuous/off putting to send stuff like that without an acceptance.

Should one wait until a formal waitlist is made here or is it ok to send if still deferred?

That makes sense, I just thought it might be presumptuous/off putting to send stuff like that without an acceptance.

Should one wait until a formal waitlist is made here or is it ok to send if still deferred?

I have a vague recollection of them saying send the fafsa form in if you're deferred as well. I would go for it because I'd rather be safe than sorry haha

Week 7 post-interview and havent heard anything.:shrug:

Just sent letter of intent.....................................................