2015-2016 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, not unranked. Just ranked within categories

right so everyone is divided into categories, but I don't believe you are ranked within those ....so its still an unranked waitlist

Members don't see this ad.

right so everyone is divided into categories, but I don't believe you are ranked within those ....so its still an unranked waitlist
OK, so if they, say, come to the decision that there aren't enough OOS females in the class, and a spot opens up, they'll just grab any old OOS female randomly from the OOS female pile. Got it. Thanks for the clarity.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not random. For instance, lets say there are 200 applicants on the alternate list and 50 out of those are OOS Female. In the scenario mentioned above, they would pick the most competitive applicant out of those 50 OOS female group. Competitive= committee's recommendation, stats, EC's ...of course there are also other factors, like URM/non URM within that group. The reason it is technically "unranked" is because they don't offer spots by going down a fixed master list, with a 1st-200th rank.

So, not unranked. Just ranked within categories... this is just going in circles now. I'll just say "good luck to all" :)

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone that got accepted on or after March 11th receive an email about Accepted Students Day and how to RSVP?

Any consensus on what to wear to accepted students day?

I was thinking slacks and a nice shirt.

I am curious how TCMC consistently manages to not have to use the alternate list. Other schools with similar missions/Stats seem to have to utilize their waitlists at some point during the cycle. Do they always over accept and just hope people withdraw? or their methods/algorithm/magic is just simply superior to other schools ?

I'm sure they use it as much as any other schools (relative to their size). I personally know two people who are accepted here and other places. One who made up their mind to go elsewhere, one who is still undecided. I know there have been gloom and doom comments on here saying that if you're on the waitlist you're basically not getting in. Ignore the gloom and doom.

I'm sure they use it as much as any other schools (relative to their size). I personally know two people who are accepted here and other places. One who made up their mind to go elsewhere, one who is still undecided. I know there have been gloom and doom comments on here saying that if you're on the waitlist you're basically not getting in. Ignore the gloom and doom.

TCMC knows from mid-february names of TCMC acceptances who hold other acceptances. They would have taken a realistic view of possible withdrawals while placing their waiting list. eg., they had too many OSS candidates with offers closer to their homes, they would have factored in the odds of them withdrawing.

TCMC knows from mid-february names of TCMC acceptances who hold other acceptances. They would have taken a realistic view of possible withdrawals while placing their waiting list. eg., they had too many OSS candidates with offers closer to their homes, they would have factored in the odds of them withdrawing.
No different from any other school, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted people that went to the second look day, how was it ? How many people attended?
I'm not sure exactly how many attended. I would estimate maybe 75-100. It was hard to tell how many students with parents/guests though.

They offered tours in the morning. Talked about the curriculum and each of the clinical campuses (this was probably the most informative part of the day, imo). There was a brief Harvey simulator demonstration. They had a family from one of their community weeks with their MD1 students come in for a panel. Lastly they had a brief talk about financial aid and pre-matriculation requirements.

I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I only specifically got the chance to talk to about a dozen other perspective students however all but two were 100% attending in the Fall. The other two both said they were heavily leaning towards TCMC. Although it was hard to tell with all the parents and family I agree that there were around 70 students there and based off my small sample I'd assume that the vast majority of them were sure in their attendance.

So although I'm sure there will be some waitlist movement I wouldn't anticipate it being in any large amounts.

Numbers they gave us about this cycle (not exact):
Close to 7000 applicants
1000 interviews
200+ Offers for a class of 105

Remember that even if only 10 spots are filled from the wait list that still makes up 10% of the total class size so not exactly a small amount by percentage.

Thank you for the info.
1000 interviews though ? :eek: that is 300 more than previous years! for a small class size of 105 that is a dramatic increase...in that case they probably have 600 people on the waitlist :laugh:

EDIT: How many would you say of those 70 were OOS?

The amount of interviews took me by surprise too. However as far as I'm aware they also have had a substantial increase in total number of applicants so the percentages might be closer than it seems.

As for how many OOS... I have no idea. As a complete guess I'm going to say very few. Based solely on the fact that if you're from anywhere other than western PA its not a long drive to Scranton and worth coming. If you're from OOS probably harder to justify the trip. And although I don't have recent data the last time I checked I think TCMC is right around 70% IS so would almost make sense if most people who were there were in state. But I have nothing to back that up.

does anyone know if TCMC is LGBT friendly?

how diverse is the student body?

Last edited:
Just wondering when deposits were due for accepted TCMC students. Also, any waitlist movement as of this time? Assuming most waitlist acceptances will take place in May/June but figured if deposits were due prior to today's date, maybe some movement did take place.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Just wondering when deposits were due for accepted TCMC students. Also, any waitlist movement as of this time? Assuming most waitlist acceptances will take place in May/June but figured if deposits were due prior to today's date, maybe some movement did take place.

I believe deposits are due within a week or two of being accepted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I believe deposits are due within a week or two of being accepted.

Okay. I was lead to believe there is a certain date that students holding multiple acceptances must make a final decision.

Okay. I was lead to believe there is a certain date that students holding multiple acceptances must make a final decision.

Gotcha, April 30th is that deadline.

Gotcha, April 30th is that deadline.

Okay. Thanks! Therefore I would assume my statement earlier regarding waitlist movement mostly beginning in May will probably hold true. We shall see I guess!

Okay. Thanks! Therefore I would assume my statement earlier regarding waitlist movement mostly beginning in May will probably hold true. We shall see I guess!

I think that's a fair assumption. Good luck!

I am curious how TCMC consistently manages to not have to use the alternate list. Other schools with similar missions/Stats seem to have to utilize their waitlists at some point during the cycle. Do they always over accept and just hope people withdraw? or their methods/algorithm/magic is just simply superior to other schools ?
I'm a current student here. I got in off of the wait list in the beginning of May. It was 3 years ago, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Is the number of people on the facebook group really an indication of how full the class is ? Arent there current students and other admin people on there as well ?

Definitely a good mix, hard to say what the % though is. My guess from what I've seen is that there are 90-95 incoming students in the group. The rest are upperclassmen. But that's a real rough estimate.

Just sent my withdrawal email (is that all we're supposed to do?? Didn't feel very official). Very hard decision to make. TCMC is really great, and I truly look forward to working with you all as colleagues in the future!

april 30th deadline past! hopefully we can get some love on the waitlist now :)

soooo I decided to be one of those annoying people who calls admissions office at 9:00 AM to ask if they are expecting any wait list movement:rofl:.....the person I spoke to literally said " I have no idea" . I knew that was exactly what they would say but sitting here just doing nothing ( besides pretending to be working ) feels like :barf:
were they rude about it?

I don't want to sound rude and abrasive because I do empathize with you and understand the uncertainty of being on the waitlist, but traffic day was only 3 days ago on Friday. Applicants are still sending emails to schools that they are withdrawing from, and likewise, schools are notifying applicants with multiple acceptances to notify them ASAP regarding withdrawal before it violates traffic rules. Additionally, schools are still figuring out what their class will look like in terms of numbers, ratio of male:female, ect, and then evaluate as to what they need. For a mission oriented school such as TCMC, that will not happen overnight or even in a few days. The answer they provided was a political answer and was the conservative answer because they do not want one person to hear "yes there will be movement" and then for multiple people to get word of this, and pester them non-stop as to when there will be movement! Remember, patience is a virtue, even when it feels like the worst thing in the world!

I don't want to sound rude and abrasive because I do empathize with you and understand the uncertainty of being on the waitlist, but traffic day was only 3 days ago on Friday. Applicants are still sending emails to schools that they are withdrawing from, and likewise, schools are notifying applicants with multiple acceptances to notify them ASAP regarding withdrawal before it violates traffic rules. Additionally, schools are still figuring out what their class will look like in terms of numbers, ratio of male:female, ect, and then evaluate as to what they need. For a mission oriented school such as TCMC, that will not happen overnight or even in a few days. The answer they provided was a political answer and was the conservative answer because they do not want one person to hear "yes there will be movement" and then for multiple people to get word of this, and pester them non-stop as to when there will be movement! Remember, patience is a virtue, even when it feels like the worst thing in the world!
this is very true

Hello everybody

Yesterday I received a call from TCMC telling me I have been accepted!!
I am very NEW to the area. I am from Miami, FL and this will be a HUGE change but I am fine with it
even excited!

I have a question for all the PA people.

My boyfriend works in King of Prussia and so we have to find a middle point to live sort of half way between Scranton and KOP.

Does anybody have a recommendation?

Thanks and good luck!

Last edited: