2015-2016 University of California - Riverside Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 secondary! First UC secondary thus far :) Verified 6/17, LizzyM 71.
Hey, did you get an email confirming that UCR received your application?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, did you get an email confirming that UCR received your application?

No, I just got the secondary straight out. Not sure if UCR does "app received" emails.

Reactions: 1 user
I still havent even gotten my secondary yet......

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I still havent even gotten my secondary yet......
It will come just takes patience. In the meanwhile I highly recommend writing a response to the prompt posted that way you can turn in immediately upon arrival.

For the honors section, can you list scholarships?

And I know you mentioned you thought any honor received during college was okay but what about sports awards, even if they weren't from your school?

For the honors section, can you list scholarships?

And I know you mentioned you thought any honor received during college was okay but what about sports awards, even if they weren't from your school?

Scholarships are fine. Not sure about sports awards.

No secondary yet but I've been pre-writing and was wondering for the question "What is the most important health care issue confronting disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue?", what is considered a disadvantaged community? I was thinking minority groups who lack equal healthcare treatment but was wondering if it is referring to rural communities or perhaps certain people groups who have chronic conditions that need more attention from the medical field, etc. The obvious issue is access to healthcare so I'm wondering if I'm misinterpreting the question?

At the moment I'm thinking of talking about the issue of language barriers and cultural competency since that's what I've seen through my hospital volunteering so I just want to be sure that I'm on the right track to answering this question...Thanks in advance!

No secondary yet but I've been pre-
writing and was wondering for the question "What is the most important health care issue confronting disadvantaged communities and what would be your first steps to address this issue?", what is considered a disadvantaged community? I was thinking minority groups who lack equal healthcare treatment but was wondering if it is referring to rural communities or perhaps certain people groups who have chronic conditions that need more attention from the medical field, etc. The obvious issue is access to healthcare so I'm wondering if I'm misinterpreting the question?

At the moment I'm thinking of talking about the issue of language barriers and cultural competency since that's what I've seen through my hospital volunteering so I just want to be sure that I'm on the right track to answering this question...Thanks in advance!

Areas that face physician shortages, areas where minority groups have decreased access to healthcare, areas where the community lacks health education, areas of low population (rural), areas where incidence of chronic disease is high, etc. etc.

Areas that face physician shortages, areas where minority groups have decreased access to healthcare, areas where the community lacks health education, areas of low population (rural), areas where incidence of chronic disease is high, etc. etc.
Thank you! Just wanted to make sure that they weren't asking for a specific group; this makes it a lot more open ended.

Hey @general987

I saw your earlier post about the "most important event or non-activity." I also want to write about a sport I have been doing all my life but I really cannot think of how to better put it than I already have in my personal statement. I have different angles I can take on it, different events because of this sport that have made it so significant to me, but what I would really want to say about significance is what I have already said. Before I go into one of those other angles, do you think it is alright to say something along the lines of "Since I previously spoke of [sport] and how it has shaped my life in my personal statement, I would like to use this space to comment on why it is so significant from a specific experience."?

Opinions from everyone are welcome as well :D

Hey @general987

I saw your earlier post about the "most important event or non-activity." I also want to write about a sport I have been doing all my life but I really cannot think of how to better put it than I already have in my personal statement. I have different angles I can take on it, different events because of this sport that have made it so significant to me, but what I would really want to say about significance is what I have already said. Before I go into one of those other angles, do you think it is alright to say something along the lines of "Since I previously spoke of [sport] and how it has shaped my life in my personal statement, I would like to use this space to comment on why it is so significant from a specific experience."?

Opinions from everyone are welcome as well :D
I'll PM since I used a sport for mine as well on this question.

Members don't see this ad :)
not sure if this has been asked, but on the secondary it asks you if you have received any honors in college. I put no, so do I have to answer "What is the MOST important honor you have received question?"

I've received all UCs except UCSF and UCR. What gives? :hungover:

I've received all UCs except UCSF and UCR. What gives? :hungover:
UCR screens applicants for secondaries. I wouldn't worry since you got the other ones. Just takes time. In the meanwhile make sure to do the pre write. The office may be busy given orientation week is through this week.

If the question doesn't say that it's optional, then you should probably answer it in some way. It doesn't have to be about an honor in the traditional sense as you could interpret it as just any kind of positive recognition that you received. Think about any projects you did well on, poster presentations, were you asked to speak/perform at any events, etc. Just don't leave it blank
Couldn't agree more. Never leave any non-optional question blank. Get creative :)

Thanks guys! UCR is one of my top choices so I'm gonna edit my answers and hopefully submit today!

Well hopefully you have serious ties to the Inland Empire as I assume you're from norcal

I do not, and I know it's a disadvantage. But I really like UCR's mission and think it'll be a good fit.

Anyway, I've accepted that rejection is a part of the process so I'm just going for it!

I do not, and I know it's a disadvantage. But I really like UCR's mission and think it'll be a good fit.

Anyway, I've accepted that rejection is a part of the process so I'm just going for it!
I had absolutely no ties to the inland empire and I got in. If your mission aligns with theirs you have a good shot.

You definitely have a shot. I hear from some current students that the class size will be increased to 65 next year. Not sure if it'll pan out though. Dean Olds has been saying that UCR would ramp the class size to 100 for a few years already.
I don't recall him saying to a 100 but the 65 may come quite soon

The 100 has been thrown around since before the school opened. Originally I believe the class size of 50 was supposed to be just for the first year. Not that surprising though as UCR, and by extension the school of medicine, has always had some money problems.
Really? So Dean Olds who raised 100$ million in a single year to meet the financial targets set by the LCME and by doing so was the only school to receive preliminary accreditation after being initially denied has money problems? Or that we now have that on top of state support? Or that we fund nearly 20% of our class to be tuition free to pursue primary care. Or that we fund nearly half the class to receive $3000 stipends in either bench research, clinical, or rotations between MS1/MS2 year. Are you affiliated with UCR SOM Pleides?

Woah man. I was just giving my honest evaluation.

I've been affiliated with UCR since before the med school opened, back when the Haider program with UCLA was in place. So I'm well aware of the fiscal issues the SOM had to surmount to get to where it is right now. The SOM certainly doesn't lack the funds to operate. But to expand at the rate it was originally planned? Eh probably not. Also, the university itself isn't particularly wealthy. There have been a number of expansions for the campus planned including the demolition of Bannockburn for a large arena that has stalled as a result of lack of funding. Ever been to the Psych building near Olmsted? Apparently it was supposed to be symmetrical but it went over budget. Heck when they opened up Lot 32 this past school year they didn't even bother to pave it. Instead the dirt lot got watered everyday to prevent dust from blowing everywhere. Nothing wrong with these of course. It's a state school during a time when California has been cutting funding for education. And it's not like we have a bunch of rich alumni donating.

Having said all that. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here and think it's a great school. UCR deserves a whole lot more credit than people usually give.
I agree UCR is a great school but expanding a class size is more complicated than available funds. It also has to do with infrastructure available, as well as faculty support both clinical and non clinical. In addition it requires sending notification to the LCME of any class size increases that includes 15 students or more. It's not wise to expand a new school rapidly or have a large initial class that would bring us close to capacity while we are still marching to full accreditation. I understand your points on UCR's building progresses but the way I interpreted your comment is that you said "always had some money problems" which you lumped in with the school of medicine and this can't be farther from the truth. To keep anonymity I won't say specifics but my information comes from senior admins within the school of medicine.

Is there any specific hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application? Please briefly explain below. (Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.)

Can we put not applicable for this prompt?

Last edited:
^^ Actually I just reviewed the e-mail UCR sent me.

"Once we receive your completed secondary application, along with at least 3 letters of recommendation (through the AMCAS Letters Service) and the application fee, your file will be marked as complete. At that point, you will be notified via email that your application is under review. We ask that you complete your secondary application within two weeks."

I'm just a little over two weeks if I submit today.. really wish I had double checked the e-mail a few days ago. Still going to submit an application, hopefully they will consider it.

How strict is the two week deadline?

^^ Actually I just reviewed the e-mail UCR sent me.

"Once we receive your completed secondary application, along with at least 3 letters of recommendation (through the AMCAS Letters Service) and the application fee, your file will be marked as complete. At that point, you will be notified via email that your application is under review. We ask that you complete your secondary application within two weeks."

I'm just a little over two weeks if I submit today.. really wish I had double checked the e-mail a few days ago. Still going to submit an application, hopefully they will consider it.

I called admission a few days ago to ask the same question you asked. The lady told me that the site will still allow you to submit. She said the UCR just doesn't want an overload of secondaries closed to the deadline. But it is a good idea to send it in as soon as you can. I think you will be fine =) Good luck!

Late to the party, but quick question on the secondaries, what do you include for the end dates on the activities that are ongoing? And is it completed or completed and anticipated hours?

Does the program still have any relationship with UCLA?

I am a UCR student. Just got my secondary yesterday, and submitted today!! So excited XDD
(I was verified on July 2, so it was a long wait...)

For the question "What has been your MOST scholarly project? Describe one and give he number of hours, dates and advisors"

It gives you 250 words

I only have 79. I figured because it only asks your describe the activity and provide information that should be ok?

I could add how this experience has shaped me... But I don't think that's what they're looking for. Thoughts?

Received an II two days ago (I'm traveling and just checked)!!!! This is by far my top choice. I can tell you that if your experiences align with their mission you all have a shot. I have pretty average stats, but I think my connection and commitment to the IE and underserved communities helped me. Complete mid July.

Reactions: 5 users
Received an II two days ago (I'm traveling and just checked)!!!! This is by far my top choice. I can tell you that if your experiences align with their mission you all have a shot. I have pretty average stats, but I think my connection and commitment to the IE and underserved communities helped me. Complete mid July.

Congratulations!

Hello, I needed some input for UCR's secondary. For the activities and extracurricular section under the description, what do I put there?

For example, I was a supplementary instruction leader, do I describe that, or just put supplementary instruction leader?

Is there a one-month deadline for turning in the secondary like other UC's?

Question: Submitted my primary app July 19th and still haven't heart anything from UC Riverside. I've submitted all of my other secondaries to other schools. Should I call? Also I live in Utah and have been doing my BS here, but am from Los Angeles. Is this why I haven't gotten a secondary? Cuz I'm in Utah?

Question: Submitted my primary app July 19th and still haven't heart anything from UC Riverside. I've submitted all of my other secondaries to other schools. Should I call? Also I live in Utah and have been doing my BS here, but am from Los Angeles. Is this why I haven't gotten a secondary? Cuz I'm in Utah?

Perhaps they're just really slow. Also they might not necessarily reviews applications in order of the time they are received, so there's that as well. And I don't think you should worry about why you haven't received a secondary because it's hard to ever pinpoint the exact reason one does not - it's really all a mystery. But it's still early, so perhaps you shall get a secondary in the following weeks. I don't think it would hurt to call to just ask them about it, though!

From what I heard from Dr. Schiller (Dean of admissions) is that since they screen, in order to get a secondary, you have to pass their threshold line of a certain GPA and MCAT. After submitting your secondary and in order to get an interview, they look to see if you're mission fit. Good luck to all of those that are applying! Highlander Pride!

I haven't heard anything either...it has been almost a month by now.....no word. Almost as if I didn't select them on my application.....

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a secondary today! I have been verified since mid June.

UCLA is the only UC that is silent.