2015-2016 University of Connecticut Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
are they done giving out II/silently reject, which explains silence? OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm nervous that this late in the cycle, they'll only be interviewing for alternate list sports

I doubt that January interviews are for the waitlists. Don't they interview through March?

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently received an interview invite. Does anyone have any tips for the interview? Also, does anyone have any stats of what percentage of total applicants receive interviews, and what percentage of those interviewed are accepted?

Thanks

Recently received an interview invite. Does anyone have any tips for the interview? Also, does anyone have any stats of what percentage of total applicants receive interviews, and what percentage of those interviewed are accepted?

Thanks
I heard ~4000 apply, ~400 get interviews, ~200 get accepted

I think they accept less (probably close to ~140) since they have an extremely small class size, and can't afford to overenroll. They probably waitlist a decent amount, and my guess is there is some WL movement to fill vacant seats. Just my 2 cents

Thanks guys. Yea i'm pretty sure this interview will be for a waitlist position.

According to MSAR only about 2700 apply with 500 IS AND 2000 OOS.

They interview about 1/2 of all IS applicants (215 out of 500). And of those 215, 75 matriculate so I'd say they probably accept 100

does anyone know how late UConn interviews? OOS but would really like to interview here

Anyone who interviewed recently (end of January and on) have an idea when decisions will come out?

Anyone who interviewed recently (end of January and on) have an idea when decisions will come out?

Interviewed today. They said for us it'll come out mid to end March, so I'm sure you decision won't be later than that

Interviewed today. They said for us it'll come out mid to end March, so I'm sure you decision won't be later than that

I was hoping I'd hear before my other interviews but I guess that's wishful thinking

Anyone attending the second look program next week? I plan to be there for the Friday event, and hope to meet some of you guys. For those of you guys who have not heard back yet, I pray that the process is accelerated for I know the pain of waiting (Even when it's just 2 or 3 weeks waiting time). I am certain that they will get back to you. Also, I have found checking this website often to be quite stressful for some reason. Browse it when you really have to!! Just a personal viewpoint. Y'all have a fantastic day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone attending the second look program next week? I plan to be there for the Friday event, and hope to meet some of you guys. For those of you guys who have not heard back yet, I pray that the process is accelerated for I know the pain of waiting (Even when it's just 2 or 3 weeks waiting time). I am certain that they will get back to you. Also, I have found checking this website often to be quite stressful for some reason. Browse it when you really have to!! Just a personal viewpoint. Y'all have a fantastic day.

I was hoping to go to second look...do we have to RSVP somewhere or has a specific schedule come out and I missed it?

They sent out a Google Doc that we had to respond to by 2/1. I would just email the Second Look committee ([email protected]) and ask about attending.

Here's the schedule:
* Friday, March 4th
* 1:00-1:20pm Registration and light snacks in Academic Lobby
* 1:30-6:10pm Various fun activities and information sessions
* 6:20-8:00 Dinner and Dessert, get picked up by hosts
* 9:30-11:30 Second Look Social at Marrata's Front Row
* Saturday, March 5th
* 9:30am-10:00am Breakfast
* 10:00-1:00 Activities and Presentations
* 1:05-2:00 Lunch

I'm kind of bummed theirs is so early. In assumed almost all were in April. I don't think I'll have my decision before March 4th

I'm kind of bummed theirs is so early. In assumed almost all were in April. I don't think I'll have my decision before March 4th
I agree with you; they should have it scheduled sometime in April. However, I believe they are probably trying to find out who is committed to the school and who is not! This would probably give them an idea of how many more students to admit in Mid-March. I hope you get in next week!!!!!

I agree with you; they should have it scheduled sometime in April. However, I believe they are probably trying to find out who is committed to the school and who is not! This would probably give them an idea of how many more students to admit in Mid-March. I hope you get in next week!!!!!
But not going to second look weekend doesn't mean that you're not interested in going there for school, what if it just conflicts with something else?

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder why uconn is taking so long with decisions. Do you guys know if the last few interviews are mainly for wait list or do they still accept students directly? I interviewed this week.

I wonder why uconn is taking so long with decisions. Do you guys know if the last few interviews are mainly for wait list or do they still accept students directly? I interviewed this week.

Also curious about this since the students at my interview day/SDN suggested 1-3 weeks tops

I read in this thread I think, that UConn usually finishes their cycle earlier than other schools. Should we assume at this point that they're basically done with II?

Anyone hear anything recently? II/acceptances/rejections/waitlist?

I'm IS, but applied MD/PhD. I haven't heard anything from them, one way or another. I'd like to get rejected MD/PhD to get into the MD pool (though perhaps it's so late now that IS won't help at all...)

Just got an II on Tuesday! I had really been hoping for one, since I'm IS and really like the school. When I had heard nothing for so long, I had just assumed it would be a rejection. It's probably just an interview for waitlist at this point, but I'm still really excited!

Reactions: 1 users
This may be the most traffic this thread has seen all cycle

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed the 22nd so I feel like I either just missed the last committee meeting or Uconn just hates me..

Dreading a waitlists email as well @firefairy

Oh boy. Hang in there! I interviewed 21 of Feb. so it's not as bad as you, but I'm assuming its gonna be a waitlist as well.

Accepted by email this morning, interviewed 1/22. This is my first acceptance!

Still in disbelief...

Reactions: 6 users
So uconn is encorporating PBL/TBL heavily into their curriculum. I have heard horrible, horrible things about this type of teaching. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm just scared because this upcoming class will be the lab rats, and there's no way of knowing how it'll affect overall step scores and match rate.

Reactions: 2 users
So uconn is encorporating PBL/TBL heavily into their curriculum. I have heard horrible, horrible things about this type of teaching. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm just scared because this upcoming class will be the lab rats, and there's no way of knowing how it'll affect overall step scores and match rate.
I've heard stories from students unhappy with PBL at other schools as well. Plus, I personally like lecture-style classes WAY better so that was one of the major reasons why I have uconn on the back burner right now

at the second look weekend every student I talked to (both running it and not running it) said that they learned the material better because they were forced to learn it before the class itself. I like the idea because in lectures I tend not to pay attention that much and just try and learn the stuff on my own later anyways. So maybe its just more my style, but I think it should be fine. And yes we are lab rats but they are using the current M1's to get some of the kinks out.

at the second look weekend every student I talked to (both running it and not running it) said that they learned the material better because they were forced to learn it before the class itself. I like the idea because in lectures I tend not to pay attention that much and just try and learn the stuff on my own later anyways. So maybe its just more my style, but I think it should be fine. And yes we are lab rats but they are using the current M1's to get some of the kinks out.
I've talked to multiple students at UCONN, and they have had the exact opposite response. They said that they hated the PBL, and that it was a waste of time. But I guess that's why UCONN really displays this learning style during interviews to showcase to interviewees what the curriculum will be like. I'm sure it works for some students, and not others. You have to decide for yourself what works for you.

I'm curious since I missed 2nd look by 1 week what exactly the weekend consisted of? Were you able to talk to more students? Do another tour?

As with everything in life no 2 individuals is gonna have the exact same learning style. Some studemt will love TBL and some just won't. I personally wish they would have done a hybrid of lecture and TBL but unfortunately they went from one extreme to the other( from too many lecture hours to relatively zero). Let's all hope it does affect our boards performance and match rate.

As with everything in life no 2 individuals is gonna have the exact same learning style. Some studemt will love TBL and some just won't. I personally wish they would have done a hybrid of lecture and TBL but unfortunately they went from one extreme to the other( from too many lecture hours to relatively zero). Let's all hope it does affect our boards performance and match rate.

True, but based on the responses I've read throughout this site, the ones that don't love TBL absolutely outweigh the ones that do love it. I like the hybrid idea as well. If they had to do TBL, once or twice a week should suffice. The rest lectures

True, but based on the responses I've read throughout this site, the ones that don't love TBL absolutely outweigh the ones that do love it. I like the hybrid idea as well. If they had to do TBL, once or twice a week should suffice. The rest lectures

yea its 3 times a week, but the other stuff is not as much TBL, like they still have the anatomy lab and other clinical care aspects to the curriculum. It seems like its a work in progress but IMO itll be fine. They are incorporating a lot of the M1 feedback to make it better. I mean they are planning to give full lectures to us online in addition to other material, its just this additional TBL in class instead of the lecturer just reading off the slides

I'm curious since I missed 2nd look by 1 week what exactly the weekend consisted of? Were you able to talk to more students? Do another tour?

yea we kinda got a tour just by doing various activities. It was a good experience. They did a large PBL section which worked out well, and they discussed the change and the reasons behind it in depth. So many schools are adding PBL in that it must have some benefit, i think there is just a dislike of it because its something different and no one likes change. While some students said it was a waste of time, thats probably because they werent able to finish because they are still working on the timing of it. And plus 5 total PBL sessions for the M1's dont really do it justice, especially when they have been going to mostly lectures

Guys PBL is not the same as TBL, while similar they shouldn't be used interchangeable.

Does anyone know how the interviews are at UConn? The email said two one-on-one interviews. Are they relaxed, intense, etc?

Does anyone know how the interviews are at UConn? The email said two one-on-one interviews. Are they relaxed, intense, etc?

Relaxed. They ask the typical questions. One interview is with a faculty member and the other is with a student. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Congratulations to all those accepted.

Anybody with a Mid/Late February interview hear any news yet? Maybe an "In Committee" status on the portal?