2015-2016 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I second what JMULZ said above. I went to both undergrad and graduate school at UofL, and lived in one of these student apartments for a few years (The Bellamy). My girlfriend lived in another one (Cardinal Towne). I have had friends live at just about every other one on campus. It was a complete ripoff then, and it is now too. You are paying that money for a small bedroom to yourself and a living room/kitchen that you share with 3 or 4 other people. If you take what they are charging you and multiply it out by those 3 or 4 people, you could get a very nice house.

Louisville has plenty of nice houses for rent, giving you more space and more options. For example, while Internet is included at these student apartments, it is incredibly slow. Want to upgrade your service? You can't. The same goes for television channels; basic cable is included, but it stops there. While the cable is through Time Warner, you will not be able to upgrade your services and, most annoying, you cannot login to watch TV on the go from your laptop or access TWC hotspots throughout the city.

Expect a ton of undergrads partying every Thursday - Sunday, and a plethorah of cops who look at anyone college-aged as a criminal. The same goes for the staff, who treat you as if you're a kid who has no clue how to manage finances or conduct business dealings. In my experience at The Bellamy, I dropped off a rent check on a Sunday in their after-hours drop box. This particular Sunday fell on the 5th of the month, the last day that you are allowed to pay before a late penalty of $100 is assessed. I was informed several weeks later that because they didn't physically get the check until Monday (the 6th) when they opened, that I was "late" and was charged $100. I spoke with the property manager about this, who assured me that it was their automatic system that had sent this notice, and that he would take care of it. I assumed it was fixed, and continued paying my rent for the next couple of months until I moved out. Fastforward a year and I began receiving notices that I was in collections from this place. The property manager never took care of it. When I wrote a check each month for the exact amount of rent that was due, they first took out the "outstanding late fee" and then credited the remaining balance of the check towards the current month's rent. This then made that month's rent an outstanding balance, and an additional $100 was charged as a subsequent "late fee." I was never once informed of this until I had been moved out for almost a year. I tried fighting it several times, but at the end of the day it would have cost me more to hire an attorney to fight it, and I ended up having to shell out close to $400 for no reason. The property manager claims to have no recollection of our meeting btw.

Enough ranting from me, point is, I have rented now 2 houses in Old Louisville since then, and I wish I would have done this from the start. I can walk out of my house, drive to the health sciences campus, park, and be in class in about 10-12 minutes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have that information on me, but from my tour they seemed pretty spacious. I could definitely see where living off campus could be desirable and in later years I might do so. However, as I am just now starting at Louisville and I'm going to be new to the area, I thought it might be easier to just use student housing until I find some people that I could see myself living with.

I would recommend River Oak apartments as a housing option! It's 10 min from the med school and a lot of med students live there, that's where my roommate and I will be living at the end of May. Rent for 2 bedroom 2 bath is $1000 and with utilities it'll probably be split into about $600. We looked at a ton of downtown places but didn't want to deal with paying for parking. I don't know if they have units open, from my understanding them seem to fill up really quickly over the summer but it doesn't hurt to check!

There is a place right next door called Highwood Place. Much more spacious for about the same price, but it doesn't have any extra amenities (pool, gym, tennis court, clubhouse, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist ranks come out tomorrow! Good luck everyone!

They have just released the required laptops for school. Which one do you all plan on getting?

They have just released the required laptops for school. Which one do you all plan on getting?

I think it all comes down to your personal preferences and what you feel most comfortable with. I'm planning on staying with Mac products. I feel they last longer and are far less virus prone. Of the models UofL has posted, the MacBook Pro seems to be the far better bang for your buck. I may wait to buy since Apple might be announcing their 2016 model at some point this summer. I'm hoping to wait for a price drop or the most up to date model (if affordable).

That being said, I have a friend that has the Lenovo X260 and loves it since you're able to write directly on the screen. Granted, she already had to replace the hard drive once. If you want to be able to take handwritten notes directly on your computer, this may be the better option. The ipad pro does an okay job with handwriting, however I feel the technology is still lagging a bit behind. I am a bit curious what they mean by recommending ipads "for successful students". I think in previous years they were required?

I think it all comes down to your personal preferences and what you feel most comfortable with. I'm planning on staying with Mac products. I feel they last longer and are far less virus prone. Of the models UofL has posted, the MacBook Pro seems to be the far better bang for your buck. I may wait to buy since Apple might be announcing their 2016 model at some point this summer. I'm hoping to wait for a price drop or the most up to date model (if affordable).

That being said, I have a friend that has the Lenovo X260 and loves it since you're able to write directly on the screen. Granted, she already had to replace the hard drive once. If you want to be able to take handwritten notes directly on your computer, this may be the better option. The ipad pro does an okay job with handwriting, however I feel the technology is still lagging a bit behind. I am a bit curious what they mean by recommending ipads "for successful students". I think in previous years they were required?

"For successful students" = "convenient for the IT guys to deal with as opposed to laptops". The iPads are nice to have if you are comfortable taking notes on them or plan to use e-textbooks (most people do because we all have access to them) and would like to have them set up alongside a laptop. However, if you are just gonna use an iPad for textbooks then other tablets are much cheaper and just as efficient. I wish I hadn't bought an iPad because mine mostly exists as a very expensive way to watch lectures or use e-books. Some prefer the test taking on iPads, but it is absolutely fine on a laptop as well. Also, not a whole lot of people use handwriting functions on their iPads. Most people use a keyboard case thing to type on top of slides. It's probably a 50/50 split between people who are happy to have iPads and people who don't need them. Hope this helps

*edit* - laptop recommendations. I see everything being used successfully, but id say if you are comfortable with mac then spend the extra money and get one. Things are definitely tailored a little better for Mac users especially if you are considering not purchasing an iPad.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

"For successful students" = "convenient for the IT guys to deal with as opposed to laptops". The iPads are nice to have if you are comfortable taking notes on them or plan to use e-textbooks (most people do because we all have access to them) and would like to have them set up alongside a laptop. However, if you are just gonna use an iPad for textbooks then other tablets are much cheaper and just as efficient. I wish I hadn't bought an iPad because mine mostly exists as a very expensive way to watch lectures or use e-books. Some prefer the test taking on iPads, but it is absolutely fine on a laptop as well. Also, not a whole lot of people use handwriting functions on their iPads. Most people use a keyboard case thing to type on top of slides. It's probably a 50/50 split between people who are happy to have iPads and people who don't need them. Hope this helps

*edit* - laptop recommendations. I see everything being used successfully, but id say if you are comfortable with mac then spend the extra money and get one. Things are definitely tailored a little better for Mac users especially if you are considering not purchasing an iPad.

I've heard that the iPad has a 1% crash rate during exams and the Macbook laptop has a 5-7% crash rate during exams and the exams are much more sluggish on Mackbook. I have a Macbook pro and I really don't want to spend the money to get an iPad that I probably won't use very often anyways. Have the students using Macbooks for exams been experiencing a lot of difficulties during the exams? Thank you!! :)

I've heard that the iPad has a 1% crash rate during exams and the Macbook laptop has a 5-7% crash rate during exams and the exams are much more sluggish on Mackbook. I have a Macbook pro and I really don't want to spend the money to get an iPad that I probably won't use very often anyways. Have the students using Macbooks for exams been experiencing a lot of difficulties during the exams? Thank you!! :)
I would also like to know this. Also, regarding the iPads, what do students use them for as far as school is concerned? Would you recommend getting a MacBook Pro and a iPad Pro?

I would also like to know this. Also, regarding the iPads, what do students use them for as far as school is concerned? Would you recommend getting a MacBook Pro and a iPad Pro?

I saw the "crash rate" post on Facebook too. I think "crash rate" means difficulty getting the exam started. I have seen zero people get up in the middle of an exam with technical issues. I have used my laptop on every exam (a new MacBook Air with no upgrades) and it has been completely fine. I know people who use slightly older MacBooks and have done fine as well. I wouldn't use one that's more than a couple years old at most though.

The most important thing, this may seem simple but you wouldn't believe how often it comes up, is following the download instructions before exams. Ie. Downloading it on time, closing programs before opening it, and checking twice to be sure you've got it downloaded. Those things are where the problems lie. No one who has followed instructions has had any more than a couple minute wait to work something out as far as getting the exam started. It's not like you have less time to take the exam or anything like that. IT may just have to look at your stuff before it you get the ball rolling (this happens mostly to people who don't follow instructions).

To @kittens4life - students use iPads for all sorts of things. A good chunk of the class using some sort of note taking app on their iPads to do notes. A lot of people use them to watch lectures while taking notes on their computer or for e-books/PDFs while taking notes on their computer. However, the only people I would recommend to buy a brand new iPad would be to those who fully intend to use them for notes and think they will be better for exams (I promise though that taking exams on the computer, as long as it's not a dinosaur, is 100% fine and not an issue at all). If you want the convenience of being able to have multiple screens working at a time then a tablet is a good choice, I'm just not sure that the 600+dollar iPad is worth it unless you are really going to put the note taking ability/compatibility with MacBook of an iPad to use. I'd recommend buying a more simple tablet to use as an ebook or lecture watching device.

I recommend you do whatever makes you comfortable. You can't go wrong getting those things because they will last and they are guaranteed to work. For people who feel like they'll use the iPad - get it. I am just of the opinion that the IT guys recommend the highest level stuff because it helps them with their burdens, not because it's actually necessary. You could get by with a 5 year old dell laptop and be just fine, but the chances of you running into an issue are going to be higher. I'd recommend at least having a laptop that is less than 2 years old and preferably a Mac if you are comfortable with them or willing to get comfortable. It will definitely get used, so a comfort level will happen quickly haha

I saw the "crash rate" post on Facebook too. I think "crash rate" means difficulty getting the exam started. I have seen zero people get up in the middle of an exam with technical issues. I have used my laptop on every exam (a new MacBook Air with no upgrades) and it has been completely fine. I know people who use slightly older MacBooks and have done fine as well. I wouldn't use one that's more than a couple years old at most though.

The most important thing, this may seem simple but you wouldn't believe how often it comes up, is following the download instructions before exams. Ie. Downloading it on time, closing programs before opening it, and checking twice to be sure you've got it downloaded. Those things are where the problems lie. No one who has followed instructions has had any more than a couple minute wait to work something out as far as getting the exam started. It's not like you have less time to take the exam or anything like that. IT may just have to look at your stuff before it you get the ball rolling (this happens mostly to people who don't follow instructions).

To @kittens4life - students use iPads for all sorts of things. A good chunk of the class using some sort of note taking app on their iPads to do notes. A lot of people use them to watch lectures while taking notes on their computer or for e-books/PDFs while taking notes on their computer. However, the only people I would recommend to buy a brand new iPad would be to those who fully intend to use them for notes and think they will be better for exams (I promise though that taking exams on the computer, as long as it's not a dinosaur, is 100% fine and not an issue at all). If you want the convenience of being able to have multiple screens working at a time then a tablet is a good choice, I'm just not sure that the 600+dollar iPad is worth it unless you are really going to put the note taking ability/compatibility with MacBook of an iPad to use. I'd recommend buying a more simple tablet to use as an ebook or lecture watching device.

Are the lectures at ULSOM recorded using Tegrity? If so I am most certainly not going to bother getting an iPad because I have already figured a way I can comfortably listen to Tegrity lectures while typing notes on my laptop. And yeah I got my Macbook Pro last year so I know it'll be fine.

Are the lectures at ULSOM recorded using Tegrity? If so I am most certainly not going to bother getting an iPad because I have already figured a way I can comfortably listen to Tegrity lectures while typing notes on my laptop. And yeah I got my Macbook Pro last year so I know it'll be fine.

Yes they are

Members don't see this ad :)
Short hiccup, but let's try this again. Waitlist ranks come out tomorrow! Good luck everyone!

Yay! I got in the Top Third IS. Couldn't be more excited. Now, just gotta play the waiting game and keep my fingers crossed. :)

I've heard they have taken 100% of in-state students in the top 1/3rd every year since 2002. Any merit behind that?

Last edited:
Yay! I got in the Top Third IS. Couldn't be more excited. Now, just gotta play the waiting game and keep my fingers crossed. :)

I've heard they have taken 100% of in-state students in the top 1/3rd every year since 2002. Any merit behind that?
I have a friend who is reapplying to UofL this year and she was in the top third of the waitlist last year, so that can't be right! Also, didn't get the waitlist email today so I guess they don't send them all out at once..

I have a friend who is reapplying to UofL this year and she was in the top third of the waitlist last year, so that can't be right! Also, didn't get the waitlist email today so I guess they don't send them all out at once..

I never got an email, I just checked it on my secondary application.

Also, looking back into last years application thread, it seems like they were accepting people from the middle third of the instate waitlist, so surely they exhausted the top third! Perhaps your friend missed the email? :p

Last edited:
For those of you who were selected for top 1/3, what were your stats/extracurrics if you don't mind my asking?

I never got an email, I just checked it on my secondary application.

Also, looking back into last years application thread, it seems like they were accepting people from the middle third of the instate waitlist, so surely they exhausted the top third! Perhaps your friend missed the email? :p

Same here.. I was watching my email like a hawk all day! Lol. When I saw your post.. I got a little nervous that I hadn't heard yet... Then thought to check the secondary application!

Gosh I hope whatever may have happened last year doesn't happen again.. Hope things go in order this year.

Hello! I have a couple of questions and I'd appreciate any input.
1. Can anyone comment on the chances of getting accepted if you were ranked in the top 1/3 in state wait list.
2. when do they start pulling offering admissions to people on the waiting list.

Thank you!

Hello! I have a couple of questions and I'd appreciate any input.
1. Can anyone comment on the chances of getting accepted if you were ranked in the top 1/3 in state wait list.
2. when do they start pulling offering admissions to people on the waiting list.

Thank you!

1. Historically, they have exhausted top 1/3 every year since ~ 2000... until last year when they skipped some top 1/3 candidates and accepted some middle 1/3 instead. Not sure if its gonna happen again this year.
2. You should expect some movements after April 30th which is the last date to withdraw. Hope this help.

Based on previous years do you think their is a good chance to in from the middle third? If so, about when do they reach the middle third ? Thanks!

Based on previous years do you think their is a good chance to in from the middle third? If so, about when do they reach the middle third ? Thanks!

Good chance? Yes.

Guaranteed? No.

looking to share a house (3 bathroom 1.5 bath) with another 2 preferably female...but not matter. 300 per month without utilities. 12 minutes away. PM me

Some info and my opinion about technology & related requirements (from a current student):
Lectures are recorded. Live streaming is usually available as well. An approved laptop (from the list) is required and will be checked sometime before actual classes start. So try and find the best deal you can! Get whatever one you like best. I would say most people have a Macbook or Macbook Pro.

iPads will be optional this coming year but I fall in the camp where I highly recommend one...especially if you like to use a stylus & take notes (obviously some laptops have this ability as well). When studying at school I like to have both my laptop and my iPad so I can take notes on the iPad & watch lectures or lookup stuff on my laptop. ~$600/iPad isn't a small amount but in the big picture of medical school it's a small investment. Totally your call, you can always buy one later if you are unsure. Also, I will mention that I have taken exams on both an iPad & laptop. In my experience the iPad actually moves faster from screen to screen during an exam and tends to have longer battery life (in case you forget to charge it up or forget your charger :) ). Almost all exams can be taken on an iPad and all exams can be taken on a laptop. I haven't heard of either option crashing during an exam (other than if you run out of battery life).

If you have a tech question feel free to shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 1 users
I withdrew my acceptance from here. Tough choice, love UofL, but I hope my spot quickly goes to one of you still waiting!! Good luck!

1. Historically, they have exhausted top 1/3 every year since ~ 2000... until last year when they skipped some top 1/3 candidates and accepted some middle 1/3 instead. Not sure if its gonna happen again this year.
2. You should expect some movements after April 30th which is the last date to withdraw. Hope this help.

Thank you!

Good luck to everyone waiting and congrats to those already in!

Anyone know of any wait list movement today?

It's awfully quiet in here lately. Good luck to everyone during traffic day!

Just an acceptance email today! in state top 1/3. The wait list is moving. Good Luck to everyone!

It's awfully quiet in here lately. Good luck to everyone during traffic day!

Literally less than an hour after I posted this I got an acceptance email! IS top 1/3rd! Good luck everyone!

Literally less than an hour after I posted this I got an acceptance email! IS top 1/3rd! Good luck everyone!

Congratulations guys! See you all this Fall.

I just joined the Facebook group and there isn't much discussion there. Anyone looking for a roommate still, this late? I want to live within walking distance but have heard that everything around the medical campus is fairly unsafe.

I just joined the Facebook group and there isn't much discussion there. Anyone looking for a roommate still, this late? I want to live within walking distance but have heard that everything around the medical campus is fairly unsafe.

A large percentage of people live around the med campus and do okay. I'm not saying it's completely safe, but it's not so bad if you are careful (keep your walking to daylight hours). Honestly, walking from the parking garage to campus isn't much different than most of the walking routes from nearby apartments.

Accepted, IS top third!! Everyone waiting to hear I wish you so much luck, I know this time is stressful- don't let it get you down!

Anyone know how many people are put on each third of the waitlist?

Has anyone from middle third (IS) gotten accepted this year?

FYI for those on the waitlist: Admissions decisions are only sent out on Wednesday's.

On that note, did anyone you know hear today?

Good luck!

Admitted today, OOS top third!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

FYI for those on the waitlist: Admissions decisions are only sent out on Wednesday's.

On that note, did anyone you know hear today?

Good luck!
Actually, they can send acceptances any day of the week to those on the waitlist.
I was admitted yesterday around 4:50pm (right before the end of business hours) and I was on OOS middle third!

Congrats both of you! Do you mind sharing your stats? If not no worries just curious!

Does everyone already have all their vaccines? I won't be done with the hep b series in time for June 1 which is the deadline

Does everyone already have all their vaccines? I won't be done with the hep b series in time for June 1 which is the deadline

Don't worry about it. My titer came by negative, so I have to redo the series. Just send in the paper showing you started it and all the other vaccines and you'll be fine.

My titer came back weak, so I need a booster and cannot get there before the 1st. They said that was fine and to just come in as soon as I could. Just call them and keep open communication, they seem very understanding!

Last edited:
Accepted today, IS top 1/3!

Looking for an apartment in the Highlands that allows pets, any suggestions would be a huge help!

Last edited: