2015-2016 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would personally accept the offer. If you have been expressly rejected from the other schools already, and KNOW you don't want to attend the school you were accepted to, then perhaps go ahead and decline the offer and try again next year. We really need more information here, though. Are you a resident of the state where you were accepted? Just how bad is your MCAT score compared to the rest of your application? Are YOU willing to wait another year (or two) to begin school?
Still waiting to hear back from a few others. But really had to decide on whether or not to apply for a postbac of which application deadline is 3 days away.

Members don't see this ad.

So, out of 20 or so schools, I have been accepted at one. My MCAT is the major drawback. First and only mcat (new exam). I got invited to complete a post-bac at a relatively good school. Should I decline my one and only acceptance in hopes of doing better in the mcat this year (2016) and re-applying? Thanks
What do you call the applicant who only gets into one medical school? Doctor.

I say take the admission. The number of applicants for US MD programs has been going up by 4-6% annually while the number of seats haven't. Less than 50% of applicants will get the admission you have in hand. Also, you'll be spending MORE money on a post-bac so that you can once again spend $2-4K on applying in a more saturated market. And while money isn't the whole picture, you're also costing yourself ~$200K in lifetime earnings potential by taking the year off.

So you really have to decide 1) will this post-bacc GUARANTEE more acceptances next year 2) is my accepted school that bad that I would risk potentially not getting accepted again.

Reactions: 4 users
So, out of 20 or so schools, I have been accepted at one. My MCAT is the major drawback. First and only mcat (new exam). I got invited to complete a post-bac at a relatively good school. Should I decline my one and only acceptance in hopes of doing better in the mcat this year (2016) and re-applying? Thanks

What school? I agree with @CyrilFiggis that an MD is an MD at the end of the day. If you're worried about residency placement, how you do in medical school >>>> what medical school you go to.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!
Interviewed 1/14. Can't believe I was accepted after two weeks.
IS, MCAT 502 (retake), GPA 3.95, lots of clinical experience (500+ hours)
At the interview, they told us that it would be at least a month to a month and a half before we started to get decisions because they said that they wouldn't get to our files for that long. Certainly did not expect acceptance today.

Reactions: 4 users
OOS. Interview invite today! But I've already been accepted into 2 other schools so I may decline the offer

No decision email again yesterday after interviewing on 12/3. Getting antsy over here haha.

No decision email again yesterday after interviewing on 12/3. Getting antsy over here haha.

I feel you. I got that email 4 times before I actually got accepted. Hang in there.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know anything about relatively cheap places to live near the med school?

Anyone know anything about relatively cheap places to live near the med school?
Phoenix Place apartments are inexpensive and within walking distance of the medical school. I know medical students, employees, and residents that live there. Keep in mind, though, that the general area is not the nicest area to live in; the apartment complex (and the med school) is essentially next-door to homeless shelters and government-assistance housing. I also know several students and residents that live at River Oak apartments, which is about a 10 minute drive from the school. The area is a little nicer there, but the rent is slightly more expensive.

Recently accepted OOS. Liked the campus and the people were great but I'm borderline about attending. How is UofL's reputation with residency program directors and how does it compare with other medical schools? I'm thinking of pursuing general surgery and a career in academic medicine right now but the former probationary status made me a little afraid just because I would like to match into a major academic program. I've been accepted to Missouri and Penn State and I am on the waiting list at Iowa, so I'm wondering if UofL could potentially open more doors than those other schools.

Recently accepted OOS. Liked the campus and the people were great but I'm borderline about attending. How is UofL's reputation with residency program directors and how does it compare with other medical schools? I'm thinking of pursuing general surgery and a career in academic medicine right now but the former probationary status made me a little afraid just because I would like to match into a major academic program. I've been accepted to Missouri and Penn State and I am on the waiting list at Iowa, so I'm wondering if UofL could potentially open more doors than those other schools.

From just looking at the match lists for the previous years, the placement is very solid and better than many of the schools I've applied to. As for your general surgery aspirations, they've placed students into gen surgery programs like Stanford & Dartmouth in recent years.

From just looking at the match lists for the previous years, the placement is very solid and better than many of the schools I've applied to. As for your general surgery aspirations, they've placed students into gen surgery programs like Stanford & Dartmouth in recent years.

Thanks! I would be happy with either of those programs of course. Can any current med students comment on the education here?

Did anyone else get the following email:

"Dear Students:

We have encountered a delay in making our scholarship awards. We now project that award notifications will be made no later than mid-February. If there are changes to this timeline you will receive prompt notification. We appreciate your patience.

Ms. Pamela D. Osborne, M.ED.
Director, Medical School Admissions
University of Louisville School of Medicine"

Thoughts? Also, what is the average size of the aforementioned scholarship awards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get the following email:

"Dear Students:

We have encountered a delay in making our scholarship awards. We now project that award notifications will be made no later than mid-February. If there are changes to this timeline you will receive prompt notification. We appreciate your patience.

Ms. Pamela D. Osborne, M.ED.
Director, Medical School Admissions
University of Louisville School of Medicine"

Thoughts? Also, what is the average size of the aforementioned scholarship awards?
I got it. Seems like everything is always delayed so this is par for the course.

So, UofL has the pilot LGBT health program. But they take very few OOS people. Why would they choose a program with that limitation as the location for an initiative that should be everywhere? Louisville is definitely not the only place that needs education on LGBT healthcare

So, UofL has the pilot LGBT health program. But they take very few OOS people. Why would they choose a program with that limitation as the location for an initiative that should be everywhere? Louisville is definitely not the only place that needs education on LGBT healthcare

UofL earned it! It's not as simple as just being chosen....they wanted it, reached out, laid the groundwork, and made it happen. It's supposed to be a pilot program too, so hopefully in a few years it won't matter whether it's accessible to OOSers because anyone can get it at their home-state universities as well. Props to UofL for being the first to get on board cuz they're BA like that. But if you are applying next cycle, I would point out that UofL seems to strive for a diverse class based on what I've seen, and a well-written secondary about how you're passionate about LGBTQ healthcare and must must must go to UofL would probably have them drooling, even for an OOS.

UofL earned it! It's not as simple as just being chosen....they wanted it, reached out, laid the groundwork, and made it happen. It's supposed to be a pilot program too, so hopefully in a few years it won't matter whether it's accessible to OOSers because anyone can get it at their home-state universities as well. Props to UofL for being the first to get on board cuz they're BA like that. But if you are applying next cycle, I would point out that UofL seems to strive for a diverse class based on what I've seen, and a well-written secondary about how you're passionate about LGBTQ healthcare and must must must go to UofL would probably have them drooling, even for an OOS.

I think the application is not as important as stats for OOS students regardless of the program their interested in. Most of the successful OOS applicants I've seen have LMs of about 70 while in-state students have around 66.

True.... try to do well in school too.

So since acceptance is conditional what would it take to have them take it away? Getting a C grade? Not being active in organizations you were once active in? How hard is it to screw things up? Has anyone had personal experience with this?

So since acceptance is conditional what would it take to have them take it away? Getting a C grade? Not being active in organizations you were once active in? How hard is it to screw things up? Has anyone had personal experience with this?

I'm wondering about the same thing. It just said maintain GPA, complete pre-med coursework and submit to the background check. I would just make sure to pass your classes and stay out of trouble.

I doubt getting a single C would cause any harm. Even if you got all Cs, you'd probably be okay. The organizations don't matter at all. You'd probably have to commit a serious crime, have something pop up on your background check that you weren't up front about, or have a very serious decline in grades. They wouldn't want you to hear any of that, but it is what it is.

Got placed in pool for wait list consideration. More waiting ahead I guess :(

Got put on consideration for waitlist. Has anyone been put on the waitlist or is it just now starting to get filled?

Got put on consideration for waitlist. Has anyone been put on the waitlist or is it just now starting to get filled?
I interviewed 1/19 and was put in the waitlist consideration pile on 01/27
I called and asked/ did some research from previous threads. There is not an official waitlist yet. They will determine that most likely by the end of next month and you will get a waitlist invitation e-mail I believe. Once you confirm you want to be on the official waitlist they will then rank top third, middle third, bottom third for IS and OOS.

Interviewed 2/4 and placed in consideration for waitlist. At our interview Ms. Osborne said they had the 155 spots filled and most of us would either be placed in consideration or denied.

Interviewed 2/4 and placed in consideration for waitlist. At our interview Ms. Osborne said they had the 155 spots filled and most of us would either be placed in consideration or denied.
So, do you think they gave out direct waitlist positions or is everyone that's going to be put on waitlist in March just in the consideration pile for now?

So, do you think they gave out direct waitlist positions or is everyone that's going to be put on waitlist in March just in the consideration pile for now?

From what I understand, the wait list isn't compiled until all candidates have been interviewed. The last interview date is this Thursday, so the wait list will be compiled late February/early March. Those in consideration for wait list can be reactivated and accepted if people withdraw acceptances before they put together the wait list.

Reactions: 2 users
From what I understand, the wait list isn't compiled until all candidates have been interviewed. The last interview date is this Thursday, so the wait list will be compiled late February/early March. Those in consideration for wait list can be reactivated and accepted if people withdraw acceptances before they put together the wait list.
Sweet. Well good luck to you amigo.

From what I observed last year, the top 1/3 of the OOS waitlist saw a great amount of movement.

From what I observed last year, the top 1/3 of the OOS waitlist saw a great amount of movement.
Something weird I noticed about last years thread is that some IS middle third WL applicants were accepted while there were still people in the top 3rd. Not sure if this happened for OOS, but the waitlist seems kinda like a crap shoot. Anyone know why they don't go directly down the list?

Is today really the last interview day? Wonder why they haven't sent rejections....

Did anybody have any luck with scholarships today? Anyone?

I didn't get one, LizzyM 77-79, Asian Male, IS. UK gave me 10,000 so I'm a little thrown off.

Also no scholarship.

Maybe NO ONE got one and they are going to give us all one later. Staying optimistic haha

No luck with a scholarship either. I was also hopeful, since I know current M1's who received them with similar stats. I will also remain optimistic!

Hey so I can't go to the second look day tomorrow. Anyone want to post how the day goes and what they take away from it? Because that would be awesome.

Hey so I can't go to the second look day tomorrow. Anyone want to post how the day goes and what they take away from it? Because that would be awesome.
The 2nd look day went great. It started off with introductions from the administrators followed by informational presentations such as Financial Aid and a student panel. We received a folder with some paper work in it. Those papers included the schedule of the day and financial information (Cost of attendance, etc). The student panel consisted of several students between 1st and 4th year that shared their experiences at the school. They also went over areas in town where you should consider looking at for a place while at UofL. Only a few people came up to the microphones to ask them questions and one of them was the difference between UofL and UK. The students mentioned things such as UofL having more teaching hospitals and with the PASS/FAIL system in place, students are willing to help each other out and want to see each other succeed since there isn't a set % of people that are able to honor a class. This is not meant to start a debate- I, obviously, don't have any personal experience with the environment at UK, but know several individuals that are students at UK's medical school and have confirmed that it's pretty "cut-throat". I'm also pretty biased when it comes to Louisville since I am from here and intend to stay. With that in mind, I skipped the tour since I am familiar with the campus. So, if anyone wants to share their experience of that portion of the day with you they can since I am of no help. Also, if you'd like, I can scan the financial aid paperwork that was given to us and will PM you a link to download it.

Edit: I also failed to mention the statistics that were shared with us. Of the people that were accepted, the youngest is 19 and the oldest 38. There are 14 non-traditional students (non tradition being 27 years old+). 45% of the class is female and 55% male (this can change of course since not everyone will pick to go here). One of the biggest surprises was that there were 3700 applicants this cycle! So,if you did not get in, don't be too upset since it was extremely competitive this year. If you did, congrats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I can't comment on UofL vs UK as I don't go to UK, but if anyone has any questions about why I chose UofL last year, if I think I made the right choice, or literally any other question - I would be happy to answer. There are a lot of things that were on my mind that I never asked ranging from parking to curriculum and I wish I had. So seriously, ask away.

I can't comment on UofL vs UK as I don't go to UK, but if anyone has any questions about why I chose UofL last year, if I think I made the right choice, or literally any other question - I would be happy to answer. There are a lot of things that were on my mind that I never asked ranging from parking to curriculum and I wish I had. So seriously, ask away.
I'm currently in this position (UK vs. UL), and I'm definitely undecided. Can you please explain why UofL? Do you think you made the right choice?