2015-2016 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, so if you are applying MSTP, you still have to fill out the MD secondary? Just checking, because the MSTP website says they don't have one and you aren't allowed to apply to the MD program in the same year as the MSTP, so I figured they were completely different processes.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, so if you are applying MSTP, you still have to fill out the MD secondary? Just checking, because the MSTP website says they don't have one and you aren't allowed to apply to the MD program in the same year as the MSTP, so I figured they were completely different processes.
I understood the same thing. MSTP here as well well.

for those who have gotten the TC secondary, what did the email say/what was the subject line?

Members don't see this ad :)
I initially got an email from UMinn on 7/1 saying that the received my AMCAS and telling me to choose a school. Then, on 7/10, I got an AMCAS verification email from UMinn saying that Twin Cities had my app. Its been nearly 3 weeks, so should I see this as a sign of me not getting the secondary? It does say in the email that screening process takes some time. Will they send like a rejection email or just never send me anything?
Also, that second email says that Duluth sends a supplemental to everyone.

I initially got an email from UMinn on 7/1 saying that the received my AMCAS and telling me to choose a school. Then, on 7/10, I got an AMCAS verification email from UMinn saying that Twin Cities had my app. Its been nearly 3 weeks, so should I see this as a sign of me not getting the secondary? It does say in the email that screening process takes some time. Will they send like a rejection email or just never send me anything?
Also, that second email says that Duluth sends a supplemental to everyone.

I think they are sending it out in batches. I just got mine on Friday morning but I know a bunch of people still waiting on it. don't worry!

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone having trouble accessing the Duluth secondary? I am clicking the link in the email, but it says there's an error connecting to the database?

Still waiting on secondary...

For previous successful applicants to UM TC, did you answer the following prompt: What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? (max 900 char) ? If so, what did you talk about? I feel that with my AMCAS and the multitude of secondary essays that the UM TC has, there is not much more for me to talk about.

If I could make one tiny suggestion, if you have NOT already stated that this is the #1 choice for you and you WILL attend if invited to a class, do so.

OOS, received and submitted secondary today!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really hoping to get an II with Minnesota.. like more so than other, higher ranked schools. Fingers crossed.

I've still got nothin' from this one :confused:

I'm really hoping to get an II with Minnesota.. like more so than other, higher ranked schools. Fingers crossed.

me too, it's my first choice. call me crazy, but I would choose university of Minnesota over Johnny Hopkins (i Mean i Would never get in to Johns Hopkins in the first place though haha)

I've still got nothin' from this one :confused:

Same. My application was verified by Twin Cities on the July 10. Really hoping to not get rejected without even submitting a secondary.

Hey guys since there are a couple of you still waiting for a secondary from Twin Cities I'll put up the prompts because some of them changed/were added/taken away from previous years.

Your responses to these questions will provide detailed information to the Admissions Committee as they look to understand you as a medical school applicant. Your responses should include reasoned descriptions of meaningful life experiences and challenges, unique qualities, skills, accomplishments, problems or successes. Please do not restate, or simply refer to your AMCAS essay. Also, your answers should not be a litany of activities. Reflect on specific experiences, what you learned from them, and how they may have changed you. Your responses must be limited to the word counts indicated. You must provide a response to each question before you're allowed to finalize and submit this application. Once you finalize and submit your application, you will not be able to edit your responses to these questions.

1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments and the Experience section, please describe your medically related experience(s) and how they have contributed to your understanding of medicine and your motivation to pursue this career?
0 characters (min: 1, max: 1500)

*2. Please describe a challenging life experience and how you dealt with it.

*3. The University of Minnesota strives to ensure diverse educational experiences appreciating individual differences by creating learning environments that promote acceptance, respect and inclusivity. Please describe your experiences with diversity and diverse groups of people by reflecting on your background and the impact it has had on developing your own values and attitudes toward others. Please include how your values and attitudes will foster a positive learning environment during your training, and benefit your future patients through the practice of medicine.

*4. We invite you to share information about important aspects of your personal background and identity as they relate to your desire to pursue medicine. Examples might include, but are not limited to, information about your culture, disabilities, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, lived experiences, race, religion or spirituality, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 900)

*5. Are you a resident of the state of Minnesota?
0 characters (min: 1, max: 300, I don't know why you'd need more than 3 characters though...)

*6. Briefly describe why you are interested in attending the University of Minnesota Medical School.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 1200)

*7. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year?
0 characters (min: 1, max: 1200)

*8. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application.
0 characters (min: 1, max: 300)

9. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?*

10. If YES, you must include a full explanation below.
0 characters (min: 0, max: 1200)

There are actually a few more.

*11. Have you considered alternate career options to fulfill your commitment to providing healthcare other than medicine?

*12. Please talk about what you might do if you are ultimately not accepted to medical school.

*13. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee?

*14. If you are a re-applicant to the University of Minnesota Medical School, how has your current application changed or what additional information would you like to highlight for the Admissions Committee?

Has anyone received an interview invite yet?

Any MSTP candidates receive an email stating they received your primary application?

Any MSTP candidates receive an email stating they received your primary application?
Yeah, beginning of the email:

"Dear MSTP Applicant:

This email is verification that we have received your 2016 application for the University of Minnesota Medical Scientist Training Program from the American Medical College Admissions Service (AMCAS)."

Then it just goes on about technicalities.

Yeah, beginning of the email:

"Dear MSTP Applicant:

This email is verification that we have received your 2016 application for the University of Minnesota Medical Scientist Training Program from the American Medical College Admissions Service (AMCAS)."

Then it just goes on about technicalities.

Thanks! Did you receive yours recently?

There are actually a few more.

*11. Have you considered alternate career options to fulfill your commitment to providing healthcare other than medicine?

*12. Please talk about what you might do if you are ultimately not accepted to medical school.

*13. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee?

*14. If you are a re-applicant to the University of Minnesota Medical School, how has your current application changed or what additional information would you like to highlight for the Admissions Committee?

Whoops, sorry, I don't know how I didn't see those haha I should've double checked that I put all of them (especially since I originally posted the prompts when I was half asleep). I updated my post to add them.

Hi everyone, about the secondary prompts, does anyone feel that prompt 11 (have you considered alternate career options other than medicine) and prompt 12 ( what you might do if not accepted to med school) are kind of similar? It's pretty hard for me to finish these prompts without repeating myself :(

Well i just wish they'd send me a secondary already...

Hi everyone, about the secondary prompts, does anyone feel that prompt 11 (have you considered alternate career options other than medicine) and prompt 12 ( what you might do if not accepted to med school) are kind of similar? It's pretty hard for me to finish these prompts without repeating myself :(
I approached the 1st as what other careers in healthcare I would consider and the 2nd as what would I do immediately and in the coming year or two if I were to not get in this cycle

+1 II! In-state, verified 6/21, secondary submitted 7/22

Reactions: 1 users
Any OOS without a secondary yet...? I chose Twin Cities only and I'm still waitin'

Any OOS without a secondary yet...? I chose Twin Cities only and I'm still waitin'

Same here! It looks like my stats are not competitive enough for them.

I feel like they shouldn't screen quite this hard? LizzyM ~73

When did you receive the AMCAS verified email from the school you selected? I had to wait 3 weeks exact before I got my secondary (7/10 and 7/31) as an OOS. They do mention that it takes them 3 or more weeks to get the secondaries out. I'm sure that you will receive yours sooner or later.

When did you receive the AMCAS verified email from the school you selected? I had to wait 3 weeks exact before I got my secondary (7/10 and 7/31) as an OOS. They do mention that it takes them 3 or more weeks to get the secondaries out. I'm sure that you will receive yours sooner or later.
I picked the city on June 3rd IIRC and got one confirmation then and another about a week later. Still nuthin'

I hope so. I did mine about asap.

I picked the city on June 3rd IIRC and got one confirmation then and another about a week later. Still nuthin'

June 3rd? Wow that is quite a wait. I would say to just call or email them. I remember emailing them a day or two before I got my secondary. Won't hurt to contact them, though they will probably just say to wait.

June 3rd? Wow that is quite a wait. I would say to just call or email them. I remember emailing them a day or two before I got my secondary. Won't hurt to contact them, though they will probably just say to wait.
Sorry sorry, July 3rd. It's been a long day.

Sorry sorry, July 3rd. It's been a long day.

Okay, that makes a lot more sense, haha. Yeah, my timeline is exactly the same as yours, chose the school on the 3rd and then the verification email on the 10th. I guess it's just the waiting game then.

I listed a writing intensive upper level course in environmental sciences, policy and management as my prerequisite for the required humanities or social sciences upper level course. Do you think this counts for the requirement?

@umnpremed - that is unlikely. I'm an alum. Sounds like a writing course, not an intensive study of other cultures, society, or ancient civilizations. Could be wrong too :)

I listed a writing intensive upper level course in environmental sciences, policy and management as my prerequisite for the required humanities or social sciences upper level course. Do you think this counts for the requirement?
I feel like an idiot but when you say you listed a course as something, where did you do that? Was there a section of the application I totally missed?

I feel like an idiot but when you say you listed a course as something, where did you do that? Was there a section of the application I totally missed?
Yeah I'm wondering the same thing.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought I remembered there being a section of the secondary asking for each prerequisite. Regardless, I contacted the admissions committee and they said the course was acceptable.

I thought these two responses were repetitive as well... in fact I thought the overall application was kind of unfocused. Anywho, I ended up not writing a response for #11 and just saying something like "see response for next question." For me, an alternate career path that involves healthcare and what I would pursue if I ultimately didn't get in were one in the same.