2015-2016 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought I remembered there being a section of the secondary asking for each prerequisite. Regardless, I contacted the admissions committee and they said the course was acceptable.

Was that for Duluth, Twin Cities, or both? I don't remember any section like that on Twin Cities.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I remembered there being a section of the secondary asking for each prerequisite. Regardless, I contacted the admissions committee and they said the course was acceptable.

That's so weird. I just looked at the supplemental again-- no section about prereqs :\ I'm just hoping I didn't miss something big.

Glad your course counts for the prereq!

If I could make one tiny suggestion, if you have NOT already stated that this is the #1 choice for you and you WILL attend if invited to a class, do so.

Do you think we should let them know this pre-secondary?

I would let them know in the "anything else you would like the admission committee to know about you" category. And ONLY if you mean it.

If you are doing this to get an II, they will smell that a mile away when you can't answer the specific question "Why TC" or "Why Duluth" with tangible, meaningful responses (probably true of all the med schools, tbh)

Reactions: 1 user

The admissions office, right? not the committee...

I received the email that they would be screening my app on July 10th, but still haven't been notified regarding a secondary. I'm OOS but with strong ties to MN, and this is one of my top choices so I'm kinda panicking! If I'm not invited to a secondary will they email that out too? Anyone else still waiting on a secondary who was confirmed that long ago?

I received the email that they would be screening my app on July 10th, but still haven't been notified regarding a secondary. I'm OOS but with strong ties to MN, and this is one of my top choices so I'm kinda panicking! If I'm not invited to a secondary will they email that out too? Anyone else still waiting on a secondary who was confirmed that long ago?
It says they screen for these three things when deciding a secondary. If you meet these 3, then I wouldn't worry, give it some time or give them a call. But thats a pretty light screen so I'm guessing they're just backed up. I got the July 10th email and got my secondary last week, they seem to be going out slowly.

1. Applicants to the University of Minnesota Medical School-Twin Cities campus must have a 24 or higher on the old MCAT. For the 2016 cycle there is no minimum score for the new MCAT.
2. Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents.
3. Prerequisites will be reviewed to verify they have been or will be completed at an accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university by July 2016.

Hi everyone, about the secondary prompts, does anyone feel that prompt 11 (have you considered alternate career options other than medicine) and prompt 12 ( what you might do if not accepted to med school) are kind of similar? It's pretty hard for me to finish these prompts without repeating myself :(

Yes! I have the same exact thoughts

Yes! I have the same exact thoughts
Someone had this question yesterday or the bay before... Here's how I approached it.

I ended up not writing a response for #11 and just saying something like "see response for next question." For me, an alternate career path that involves healthcare and what career I would pursue if I ultimately never got in to medical school were one in the same. Maybe there's an applicant that, if he/she never gets into medical school, would pursue a career in something outside of healthcare (I'm thinking of a PhD who is applying and would continue into industry if not accepted).

Hope this helps!

For current residents of Minnesota, is it easier to gain acceptance to Twin Cities or Duluth campus??

For current residents of Minnesota, is it easier to gain acceptance to Twin Cities or Duluth campus??

it really depends. they both have very different missions. Duluth focuses on applicants that are dedicated to rural medicine. at least that's what I understand. someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It says they screen for these three things when deciding a secondary. If you meet these 3, then I wouldn't worry, give it some time or give them a call. But thats a pretty light screen so I'm guessing they're just backed up. I got the July 10th email and got my secondary last week, they seem to be going out slowly.

1. Applicants to the University of Minnesota Medical School-Twin Cities campus must have a 24 or higher on the old MCAT. For the 2016 cycle there is no minimum score for the new MCAT.
2. Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents.
3. Prerequisites will be reviewed to verify they have been or will be completed at an accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university by July 2016.

Well, I meet all these 3, but I am still waiting for a secondary from TC. I received their email saying that they received my AMCAS application on 7/10. It has been almost a month. Should I begin worrying?

Well, I meet all these 3, but I am still waiting for a secondary from TC. I received their email saying that they received my AMCAS application on 7/10. It has been almost a month. Should I begin worrying?
That happened to me and another MD school. You should call and politely ask. I did, and they sent the secondary the same day. I was "supposed to receive it" three weeks prior.

Same thing for me! Should I call? I just hate to be annoying if they just haven't gotten to it yet.

what are the essay prompts for Twin Cities' secondary this year?

II today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LizzyM 74, OOS, submitted 7/30

Just called the adcom. Apparently they guy to screen and send out secondaries was on vacation last week. He's getting caught up now. So anyone worrying about secondaries should get one soon if you meet these stats.

Also I think people with super high stats will get II's first.

Just called the adcom. Apparently they guy to screen and send out secondaries was on vacation last week. He's getting caught up now. So anyone worrying about secondaries should get one soon if you meet these stats.

I don't know if that's true. I got an II last week, and my stats aren't amazingly fantastic (<70 LizzyM).

I'm still waiting for my secondary. Selected Twin Cities on 7.1, my MCAT scores were released 7.21

Received a secondary on 7/23 and submitted on 7/25, no interview invite yet last time I applied I received an II two weeks after my secondary...

I called on Monday and got the same answer. Have you got yours?

Nope. I finally got the "complete" email 8/10 though!

Do only MSTP people get that complete email? I'm applying MD and I haven't gotten that email even though on the website everything is complete.

Do only MSTP people get that complete email? I'm applying MD and I haven't gotten that email even though on the website everything is complete.
Don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised because our app is totally different (as in, no secondary). Also, different admissions office as far as I know!

MD application do not get a "complete" email (the only confirmation email that you can expect to get is for when you submit your payment).

I called on Monday and got the same answer. Have you got yours?
No I'm still waiting for it. I feel like U Minn has been very inefficient with this process. This is the only school who hasn't sent me a secondary yet even though I meet all the requirements. I submitted 16 other schools 2 weeks ago.

Similar situation. I got mines yesterday. Looks like they are still sending out secondaries.

This secondary got me like...
c1970cf390aa2051c4ed7c490edc157f.jpg

For those of you who got IIs, how long did it take for them to reply to your response email?

For those of you who got IIs, how long did it take for them to reply to your response email?

It took a couple of days (2 or 3). So don't worry if they don't get back to you right away!

Still haven't gotten a secondary. The last email I got from them was a "Your AMCAS App was Verified" on 7/10.

Guys, guys, calm down. My primary app was verified on 8/4 and I still haven't even received a "We got your primary app" email.

...surely my application wasn't so bad that they decided to not even log it into the system? :(

For MD applicants, does anyone not have a green arrow next to their Letters of Recommendation on the application status table even though all of their letters have been submitted and it shows "1/1"?

I don't either, but I think having "1/1" is the indication that the requirement is met.

Duluth Interview Invite 8/18, Twin Cities Invite 7/28.