2015-2016 University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted :(

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlist. The uncertainty continues...

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!

Interviewed in mid-January.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Interviewed early October.

Reactions: 1 users
ACCEPTTEEDDDDDDDDDD DREAM COME TRUE

Reactions: 3 users
WL'd as well. Oh well, only 25% post-interview accept rate. Not the end of the world.

Reactions: 1 user
Hang in there applicants on the waitlist!!! Congrats to everyone for making it this far!

Just waitlisted. Is Penn like Columbia where everyone not admitted is put on the WL, or are there actual rejections? And does anyone know how many people have gotten off the WL in years past?

Accepted! Very grateful and humbled throughout this interview cycle. Best wishes to all who are WL.

ACCEPTED

MD/PhD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHH

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted as well. Congrats to all who got accepted! Does anyone know if Penn waitlisted all interviewees like NYU or do some people get rejected?

According to the waitlist FAQ, ~400 are waitlisted (shrinks to ~100 around June). I can't remember how many they said they plan to interview, but I'd assume they didn't also give out >400 acceptances. I'd assume some rejections went out as well?

I've heard in previous years some people on the WL are invited to second look. Does anyone know if this will be true again? If so, doesn't that give some indication regarding one's status on the waitlist?

Also accepted MD/PhD. It was fun stressing with y'all.

Reactions: 4 users
Praise the lawd; this was one of my favorite schools! I'm waiting on one more decision, but, barring an acceptance there, I look forward to seeing some of y'all at Perelman!

Last edited:
Congrats to all those with good news today, and fingers crossed for all on the WL! Looking forward to meeting the 2020+ crew at Preview!

WL. Derpderpderp. Guess the waiting continues. Congrats to y'all that were accepted!

Accepted!!! WOOOOHHH!!!
Interviewed in September

Congratulations to everyone accepted! To those waitlisted, there is still a chance, but expect to wait until at least May for any movement.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 5 users
Any MD rejections?

Based off this thread I don't think there were any. There seems to be a trend where schools just aren't rejecting people till later. It's quite frustrating not knowing if I'm just at the bottom of the barrel but they won't do an official rejection for months.

I saw on MD apps a couple of people who were outright rejected on Tuesday.

Does anyone know how many they accept right off the bat? (I guess we can see at preview + a little more accounting for no shows).

I saw on MD apps a couple of people who were outright rejected on Tuesday.

Does anyone know how many they accept right off the bat? (I guess we can see at preview + a little more accounting for no shows).

Are you sure those rejects were for MD, not MD-PhD?

Just saw the new 2016-17 MSAR: 15 came off the waitlist for those wondering.
I believe that was from the 2015 entering class. Doesn't say how many were on the WL (varies per cycle) and it doesn't seem like it's ranked. It just says competitive review of waitlist applications by Committee on Admissions. I guess that means they try to fill what is 'missing' from their class profile since Penn is big on diversity.
Also accepted applicant mcat median is 37 and matriculant median is 38 sheesh

Damn. 15 out of ~400 waitlisted is pretty brutal. I'd imagine the fancy new facilities will help make that number even smaller this year. At least the free breakfast and lunch from interview day means I didn't wind up empty handed!

Reactions: 3 users
True. But I thought the fancy new JMEC building opened last January (2015). However, I guess most of the interviewees at that time didn't get to see it, so this year's interviewees were probably more impressed. I was -
and the old Penn tower is going to be a new hospital building and my host took me by the Schuylkill river where some sort of new CHOP affiliated building is under construction. Penn is already a top institution, but what really impressed me was that it is still growing - by a lot. I saw some construction or no plans for growth at other big name institutions.

I'll just start by saying a big congrats to all those that got in. I had a question that relates to UPenn's dermatology department. They have the best, if not, one of the best dermatology residency programs in the country. We can skip over the comments about how hard dermatology is etc. etc. and there is no way to predict if one will be competitive enough for derm at this point. However, I shadowed heavily in derm and I this is what I want to pursue. No harm in dreaming big haha. Anyway, would going to Penn specifically give me an advantage if this is the field I want to pursue lets say over a school like NYU, or Vanderbilt?

While choice of school may have a slight effect if there is a huge disparity between the schools, when comparing schools that are at a similar level, I think what you do is much much much more important than where you go. Pick the environment that you feel would most allow you to thrive. No residency director in their right mind is going to toss an application aside because it says Vanderbilt or NYU instead of Penn. Furthermore, if they do, I'd take that as an indication that the program doesn't have their priorities straight and is thus not a good environment for training.

While choice of school may have a slight effect if there is a huge disparity between the schools, when comparing schools that are at a similar level, I think what you do is much much much more important than where you go. Pick the environment that you feel would most allow you to thrive. No residency director in their right mind is going to toss an application aside because it says Vanderbilt or NYU instead of Penn. Furthermore, if they do, I'd take that as an indication that the program doesn't have their priorities straight and is thus not a good environment for training.

If the goal is a good derm residency in general, then I think this is correct. If gt93's goal is specifically Penn derm, then it is important to keep in mind that most top programs are pretty incestuous.

Orientation is Aug 8th, but for MSTP, we have the mandatory retreat Aug 4th.

For a school like Penn that has some very strong residency programs....what would be the advantage of choosing such a school if you ultimately would not like to match at Penn? As a med student there, I'll have access to rotate in CHOPS for peds and in their derm program etc. which are some of the best in the country. However, if I do not want to stay in Philly for residency would going to Penn and rotating through their departments give me a significant advantage for getting into residencies elsewhere? What would be the benefit of choosing Penn over another school that I like more, except that school does not have as great residency departments?

It's always tough to conclude anything from match lists (but I obsessively looked at them as an applicant, so I can't say nothin). That being said, what I noticed about Penn is that, compared to it's "peer institutions," it tends to have less in-breeding. HMS, Hopkins, UCSF etc. tend to retain a good chunk of their students. And while Penn definitely does keep a decent percentage of their students within the UPHS system (it'd be kind of suspicious otherwise), it also sends lots of people to the best programs all over the country.

As an applicant, this gave me confidence that wherever I wanted to end up, whether for personal or professional reasons, going to Penn would not close any doors and in fact would help me make that goal a reality. There are probably lots of reasons that coming from Penn gives you a leg up (personal connections between faculty, a history of Penn students going to MGH, JHH, UCSF etc.). That being said, if you look at the match lists from most schools, people go to great places from all kinds of schools. As a Penn med student, I think this place is amazing, it was my dream school and I want to recruit and get people to come here. But please don't come to Penn (or any other school) if you feel like you wouldn't be happy, or if your heart is set on somewhere else. Especially for something like match lists.

Reactions: 2 users