2015-2016 University of Pennsylvania (Perelman) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Top choice here, 3.7/36 from Penn undergrad. Hoping for some love. Go Quakers! :D

Definitely applying here. It looks like their website hasn't been updated in a quick minute, though, haha

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current MS1 headed into my MS1-MS2 summer. Penn is incredible and after a year I still can't believe I'm here. I'm happy to answer any questions! I may be a little removed from the app process though

I'm hyped to be starting at Penn in August! I can help trino answer any questions about the app process.

Reactions: 1 users
Are the questions the same as those from last year?

Are the questions the same as those from last year?
Not sure if they're the same but here they are
  1. Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe; each line allows 100 characters. (Please do not list awards from high school or earlier.) No Yes
  2. Have you taken or are you planning to take time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation? No Yes
    Please describe your activities during this time:
  3. Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application? No Yes
    • What country?
      Please describe the activities in 1,000 characters or less.
  4. Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.) No Yes
    Please explain and limit your response to 1,000 characters.

5. If you are traveling outside of the U.S. during the application year, will you need special scheduling if invited for an interview? If so, please describe and indicate dates that you are in the U.S. No Yes
    Please limit your response to 255 characters.

6. Have you or your family experienced economic hardships? No Yes
    Please explain briefly in 1,000 characters:

7. Have you been employed at the University of Pennsylvania Health System or Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and worked with a Penn faculty mentor? If yes, please indicate name, department, phone number of faculty, and start/end dates. No Yes
    Name Department Phone Start End
  8. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters.

Just received my secondary as well about 40 mins ago but when I went to their admissions page I got this:

• Your AMCAS records did not indicate how you plan to fulfill the letters of recommendation requirement. Please return to your AMCAS application to complete this section and resubmit your application. Check this status page periodically throughout the next few weeks for updates on your eligibility status and to complete the supplemental application.
I don't have all my LoRs submitted to AMCAS yet because of my stupid University's career center so I didn't assign any letters. Is this why?

This 2ndary looks so easy. Thank you, Penn.

edit: I was wrong. Not that easy lol. But I had to answer more questions than most.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application? No Yes
  • What country?

What kind of activities are they looking for in this question? Although I have been a United States citizen my whole life, I lived outside of the U.S. until 2008. Do you guys think I can talk about it here?

Otherwise none. No study abroad or anything like that since I moved to the States.

I'm going out on a limb and saying yes. Though I don't know if high school activities count, seeing as other med schools sometimes ask for SAT scores/high school location and details, maybe it's okay as long as you can talk about it in a meaningful way.

EDIT: In their first question they said not to list anything for that section from high school or earlier, so you could technically lawyer them and say that since they didn't stipulate the same in the foreign activities section, you thought high-school and earlier was fair game.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
"Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.)?"

For the above prompt, would this be an appropriate place to write about a challenging experience? The examples they provide make me feel like they're asking for something different than schools with the specific "talk about a challenging experience" essay. I feel like this prompt is asking more about circumstances that put one's application specifically to Perelman in context. Thoughts?

"Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.)?"

For the above prompt, would this be an appropriate place to write about a challenging experience? The examples they provide make me feel like they're asking for something different than schools with the specific "talk about a challenging experience" essay. I feel like this prompt is asking more about circumstances that put one's application specifically to Perelman in context. Thoughts?
If it's a single experience, I wouldn't include it. It's not an essay where you demonstrate your ability to overcome an obstacle. It's an essay that let's the committee know a little bit more about your background: low income, minority, etc. My take on this question is: "if you would use it to describe yourself, it probably belongs in here"

If it's a single experience, I wouldn't include it. It's not an essay where you demonstrate your ability to overcome an obstacle. It's an essay that let's the committee know a little bit more about your background: low income, minority, etc. My take on this question is: "if you would use it to describe yourself, it probably belongs in here"

That's how I interpreted it too, although you definitely articulated it better than I did. Thanks for your input!

This might sound strange, but... anyone know any places to get info about this school/what things they offer other than the UPenn website? They don't actually have much info there about they're "selling points".

Or, if any current students/previous applicants could share their experience at Perelman/why they chose it, I would reaallly appreciate it! :D

Lovely. Can't even LOOK at the secondary until they have my letters. But, I received the secondary..

Lovely. Can't even LOOK at the secondary until they have my letters. But, I received the secondary..

You just have to have letters assigned to them in AMCAS. My letters aren't received yet and I got access to the secondary.

Current MS1 headed into my MS1-MS2 summer. Penn is incredible and after a year I still can't believe I'm here. I'm happy to answer any questions! I may be a little removed from the app process though

1. How are opportunities for research?
2. How's the Black Legion faring now-adays? Is Failbaddon still in charge? ;)

You just have to have letters assigned to them in AMCAS. My letters aren't received yet and I got access to the secondary.

Ohh okay, so not all letters have to be assigned right? Just at least one?

1. How are opportunities for research?
2. How's the Black Legion faring now-adays? Is Failbaddon still in charge? ;)
1. Probably my favorite thing about Penn. I'm pretty involved in research. I have 2 mentors that are absolutely incredible. One of the biggest things about finding a mentor is making sure that they have your best interest at heart, and not only their own. Almost everyone at Penn that I have met has been this way. My mentors have let me dive right into projects, and have given me autonomy, but are still there whenever I have questions. One of them is walking me through the manuscript process, and allowing me to write up data that she collected just so I can get the experience. Its a lot more painstaking for her that way, but allows me to build skills that will be important in the future and not a lot of MS1/MS2 get to do.

There's also a whole lot of time for research during my preclinical years. We only have classes after 1pm once or twice a week so we have the rest of the afternoons to do whatever we want. I've found no trouble keeping up with school, research, gym, and social life with that time.

2. Its hard to tell, but I'm actually an Ultramarine. Chaos wouldn't take me cause I've already sold my soul to medicine. Hope Failbaddon never made it off Cadia...can't forgive him for killing Loken...

Ohh okay, so not all letters have to be assigned right? Just at least one?

I think you probably would have to assign 3 to meet their requirements but I have no idea if their system is smart enough to enforce it.

But I have a follow up question:

If I were to assign just three letters right now (and I'm awaiting a fourth), would Penn only look for those 3 letters that I originally assigned (even if I were to assign the 4th one later)?

Hi everyone, I also received the secondary! I just had a question:

Would question 4 be appropriate for a 'diversity' essay? I'm a social minority, but certainly an ORM in medicine, so I don't know if it is appropriate. I'm hesitant to put down a diversity essay for the sake of having an answer, especially when it's not too relevant to my decision to pursue medicine.

You need post bacc or graduate credits to apply to U of Penn?

Would question 4 be appropriate for a 'diversity' essay? I'm a social minority, but certainly an ORM in medicine, so I don't know if it is appropriate. I'm hesitant to put down a diversity essay for the sake of having an answer, especially when it's not too relevant to my decision to pursue medicine.

I was thinking of a Diversity essay for this too...but am not sure. Would appreciate some guidance from a previous matriculant on this!

FYI - this is Q4 we're talking about: Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.) No Yes

I can't speak for the adcom, but I would think a social minority would be appropriate.

Do you guys think of the "global activities" secondary question it would be appropriate to include something about recreational travel? It's not specifically asking for medically related global activities so I'm not sure, but it may be something they find interesting and (perhaps/maybe/hopefully) mention in an interview?

Not sure if they're the same but here they are
  1. Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe; each line allows 100 characters. (Please do not list awards from high school or earlier.) No Yes
  2. Have you taken or are you planning to take time off between college graduation and medical school matriculation? No Yes
    Please describe your activities during this time:
  3. Have you participated in any global activities outside of the U.S. prior to submitting your AMCAS application? No Yes
    • What country?
  4. Are there any special, unique, personal, or challenging aspects of your personal background or circumstances that you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions, not addressed elsewhere (siblings/relatives at Penn, applying as a couple, educational environment, culture, ethnicity, etc.) No Yes

5. If you are traveling outside of the U.S. during the application year, will you need special scheduling if invited for an interview? If so, please describe and indicate dates that you are in the U.S. No Yes
    Please limit your response to 255 characters.

6. Have you or your family experienced economic hardships? No Yes
    Please explain briefly in 1,000 characters:

7. Have you been employed at the University of Pennsylvania Health System or Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and worked with a Penn faculty mentor? If yes, please indicate name, department, phone number of faculty, and start/end dates. No Yes
    Name Department Phone Start End
  8. Please explain your reasons for applying to the Perelman School of Medicine and limit your response to 1,000 characters.

For the global activities one do they mean for you to put down every country you have spent time in?

For the global activities one do they mean for you to put down every country you have spent time in?
I doubt it..if you went on a 3-day trip to Italy that is not meaningful to anyone. Always think to yourself – would someone care to know this about me in deciding if I should go to med school? The answer should be quite clear for some of this stuff

1) Its hard to tell, but I'm actually an Ultramarine.
2) Chaos wouldn't take me cause I've already sold my soul to medicine.
3) Hope Failbaddon never made it off Cadia...can't forgive him for killing Loken...

1) Ah! If you get a chance, you should check out the "If the emperor had a text-to-speech device" series on YouTube. It's hilarious!
2) Just watch out for Fabious Bile, MD. He might convince you otherwise ;)
3) Hopefully Nathanial Garro delivers some excellent payback later on in the Knights Errant series.

And that's good to hear about Penn! Thanks for your help!

Hey so I submitted my secondary and paid my fee. My letters aren't in yet because my school has yet to release its health committee letters. I noticed that I can go back and edit my secondary app though. Did my miss something? Are we allowed to edit it even after we've submitted it until the letters arrive? Kinda paranoid and it threw me off.

Anyone else finding that their website is terribly non-informative?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! Incoming MS1 here, so while I can't really tell you much about Penn itself, I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the application process! As far as the website's lack of information, yeahhh it kinda sucks, but I recommend you check out their youtube channel. It has a lot of great videos with student, patient, and doctor perspectives on all aspects of Penn Med. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/user/pennmedicine/videos

Another question about the diversity essay... I'm not an underrepresented minority, nor did I suffer from economic hardship.

But I was homeschooled from 6th grade through high school. I then entered a large state university. I've noticed that many people get touchy when I tell them I was homeschooled. They look at me kinda funny, like I'm going to be some crazy back-woods religious nut.

So I guess my question is this- I believe I had a "minority" background with regards to my schooling prior to college. It is a unique experience. But stereotypes associated with homeschoolers... I don't want admissions people to put that on me. So should I leave it out? Is it not what they're looking for? General thoughts?
I'd say it's OK. Unless you have some other thing that makes you diverse?

Quick Question; do honor societies count as "award from any state, regional or national organization"?

Is there a character limit for #2 (activities between graduation and matriculation)? Is it also 1000 characters?

Is there a character limit for #2 (activities between graduation and matriculation)? Is it also 1000 characters?

no explicit limit according to last year

Question about the 'global activities' - My parents are born & raised in another country, came to US, and I'm born and raised here. I've been to that country 10+ times, speak the language, have a good connection with it, and want to give back to the country later in life. I haven't exactly 'volunteered' or worked in my time there (it was always in the summer 'on vacation' with my family). Does that count as a global activity?

In addition, I've also spent 2 years in another country in the Middle East during my middle school years. Mentionable?

Quick Question; do honor societies count as "award from any state, regional or national organization"?
I also have the same question. Would it be necessary to repeat phi beta kappa, latin honors, collegiate sports honors if they're already mentioned on the primary

I also have the same question. Would it be necessary to repeat phi beta kappa, latin honors, collegiate sports honors if they're already mentioned on the primary
Imho society inductions based on academics/service at a university don't fall into the realm of this question. Just doesn't seem to be the type of award they're looking for with the prompt. Worst case scenario they'd see it on primary.

Imho society inductions based on academics/service at a university don't fall into the realm of this question. Just doesn't seem to be the type of award they're looking for with the prompt. Worst case scenario they'd see it on primary.
Yea, got that impression also. Thanks. Also, are most of you guys writing the "special, unique" essay? I don't really have a "diversity" essay that adds much to what's already been said on AMCAS so I think I'll pass on that one. For the optional ones, I'm always worried they'll frown upon leaving it blank. Although personally, I wouldn't want to read it unless it was super important.

Question about the 'global activities' - My parents are born & raised in another country, came to US, and I'm born and raised here. I've been to that country 10+ times, speak the language, have a good connection with it, and want to give back to the country later in life. I haven't exactly 'volunteered' or worked in my time there (it was always in the summer 'on vacation' with my family). Does that count as a global activity?

In addition, I've also spent 2 years in another country in the Middle East during my middle school years. Mentionable?
definitely not for the first one...

I wrote something similar to your first one for mine. There's no way I would discount that - like you, I've spent so much time in another country because of family and a lot of who I am is due to those experiences abroad, even though it's not volunteering. It's a global activity.

For the "Have you been nominated for or received an award from any state, regional or national organization? If so, please describe; each line allows 100 characters" question...if my school is nominating me for Rhodes/Marshall/Gates/etc. should that be mentioned there or no? !

I'd say that fits the criteria and should be mentioned.