2015-2016 University of South Carolina - Greenville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So did any one get admission decision for this month yet or is every one else still in the dark like I am?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have all interviews been through email? I think I forgot my password and can't seem to be able to open the portal

any II lately?

Seriously. Haven't heard anything whatsoever since submitting in July...Starting to think I should just mark these guys down as a silent reject.

Reactions: 1 users
So did any one get admission decision for this month yet or is every one else still in the dark like I am?
actually you can't check it on the portal. They said that they would email once your status has changed (updated)

Seriously. Haven't heard anything whatsoever since submitting in July...Starting to think I should just mark these guys down as a silent reject.
I have no idea.. Looking at previous posts seems like they had a 2 month turnaround.. I submitted mine on September 3 and still silence as wello_O

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the continuing to eval email. Interviewed late October

Any acceptances? Also does any one one know of chances from getting accepted off this hold thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Greenville students on here available to answer questions about the school?

Awesome! Just looked at some of your other responses. Thanks for your time! I was accepted last week, and I'm super excited! I haven't had any other acceptances yet but I'm trying to get a feel of what it is like to be a student here. You mentioned that you were a GA resident when you applied, were you able to declare in-state for MS2? Was it particularly difficult? Did you get any other sort of aid, and if so did you expect to get it? How do you feel student life is there - in terms of competitiveness and activity outside of class? Is it a true pass/fail system?

Thanks again for your time!

Edit: Also, you mentioned MCG, I'm a GA resident but haven't interviewed there yet. Did you get accepted? What was it specifically about MCG that you liked/didn't like compared to Greenville? I haven't visited their campus at all.

Double Edit: How's the campus? Do you bring your own food or pick something up there most days? Any misc info about student life would be awesome.

Last edited:
Awesome! Just looked at some of your other responses. Thanks for your time! I was accepted last week, and I'm super excited! I haven't had any other acceptances yet but I'm trying to get a feel of what it is like to be a student here. You mentioned that you were a GA resident when you applied, were you able to declare in-state for MS2? Was it particularly difficult? Did you get any other sort of aid, and if so did you expect to get it? How do you feel student life is there - in terms of competitiveness and activity outside of class? Is it a true pass/fail system?

Thanks again for your time!

Edit: Also, you mentioned MCG, I'm a GA resident but haven't interviewed there yet. Did you get accepted? What was it specifically about MCG that you liked/didn't like compared to Greenville? I haven't visited their campus at all.

Double Edit: How's the campus? Do you bring your own food or pick something up there most days? Any misc info about student life would be awesome.

Declaring in-state residency wasn't any problem at all (this goes for both Greenville and Columbia, as you go through the same office). As a side note, MUSC does NOT offer in-state tuition after you've been there for a year. I did get aid, in the form of an out of state tuition waiver for first year as well as a half tuition scholarship (please note - I don't know if these are still being offered). The school will let you know about the scholarship application.

Student life - most people here live at the same apartment complex, so I assume it retains the same feel as an undergrad dorm if that's what you're looking for. Everyone is very friendly, and I really haven't heard of any issues with gunner mentalities. Have heard good things about our "college" system (see prior post, also about other activity outside class), but I've been too busy on the interview trail to take part. The people who are out to really excel (derm, ortho, etc.) do so of their own accord, and without stepping on anyone else in the process. One of the high-achieving ortho guys in our class is one of the nicest as well.

I did get accepted to MCG, but off the wait list. I heard they just got a new med school building, but I won't be there for my residency interview til January. For me the biggest decider was Augusta vs. Greenville. To be blunt - Augusta sucks. I didn't find any semblance of culture there at all, whereas Greenville is vibrant and only seems to be getting better.

Campus has plenty of food choices. Au Bon Pain in the school and hospital, Chick fil a, Subway, and cafeteria in hospital. Plenty of storage room in student lounge if you want to bring your own, though.

Also as an update about a prior question - this has almost always been the response concerning being part of a new medical school on the interview trail: "Congratulations! How has that been for you?"

Declaring in-state residency wasn't any problem at all (this goes for both Greenville and Columbia, as you go through the same office). As a side note, MUSC does NOT offer in-state tuition after you've been there for a year. I did get aid, in the form of an out of state tuition waiver for first year as well as a half tuition scholarship (please note - I don't know if these are still being offered). The school will let you know about the scholarship application.

Student life - most people here live at the same apartment complex, so I assume it retains the same feel as an undergrad dorm if that's what you're looking for. Everyone is very friendly, and I really haven't heard of any issues with gunner mentalities. Have heard good things about our "college" system (see prior post, also about other activity outside class), but I've been too busy on the interview trail to take part. The people who are out to really excel (derm, ortho, etc.) do so of their own accord, and without stepping on anyone else in the process. One of the high-achieving ortho guys in our class is one of the nicest as well.

I did get accepted to MCG, but off the wait list. I heard they just got a new med school building, but I won't be there for my residency interview til January. For me the biggest decider was Augusta vs. Greenville. To be blunt - Augusta sucks. I didn't find any semblance of culture there at all, whereas Greenville is vibrant and only seems to be getting better.

Campus has plenty of food choices. Au Bon Pain in the school and hospital, Chick fil a, Subway, and cafeteria in hospital. Plenty of storage room in student lounge if you want to bring your own, though.

Also as an update about a prior question - this has almost always been the response concerning being part of a new medical school on the interview trail: "Congratulations! How has that been for you?"

Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. If you don't mind me asking, did your out of state tuition waiver and half tuition scholarship come from the merit or need based side of scholarships?

What is the name of the apartment complex? I'd love to take a look. Is it walking distance or do you all drive?

Thanks again for your time! Super helpful.

Thanks so much for all that info! Can you tell us more about Greenville's culture? You mentioned it's vibrant, and I'd love to hear more about that!

I can share some here! I grew up in Greenville and it is so easy to brag on my hometown. You can find just about anything here. There is a thriving arts district- the Peace Center and Gunter theatre host an entire season every year of Broadway shows, ballet performances, musical shows, etc. There is also the Wellness Arena which has concerts from pop artists to country, as well as local sports (think hockey, football, some college basketball games). Main St, Downtown Greenville is busy too- you can always find an event going on here. We do Greek Festival, Oktoberfest, Artisphere, Fall for Greenville... just to name a few, and majority of them are free. Just walk the street and enjoy. If you are into outdoor activity you've got Fall's Park for lounging (beautiful scenery and walking trails) and the Swamp Rabbit Trail and Paris Mountain nearby for hiking, biking, and recently hosting a yearly half marathon. There is a growing list of delicious restaurants too, and the craft beer industry is booming here. I live in New York City now, and I still find myself missing the culture and community of Greenville. Excited to be home next year! Let me know if I can help out with any other Greenville questions

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. If you don't mind me asking, did your out of state tuition waiver and half tuition scholarship come from the merit or need based side of scholarships?

What is the name of the apartment complex? I'd love to take a look. Is it walking distance or do you all drive?

Thanks again for your time! Super helpful.

I think everyone OOS in our class got the waiver. The scholarship was probably need based. The apartment complex is called the Bristol. It's about 3 miles away from the hospital. http://livethebristol.com/

I can share some here! I grew up in Greenville and it is so easy to brag on my hometown. You can find just about anything here. There is a thriving arts district- the Peace Center and Gunter theatre host an entire season every year of Broadway shows, ballet performances, musical shows, etc. There is also the Wellness Arena which has concerts from pop artists to country, as well as local sports (think hockey, football, some college basketball games). Main St, Downtown Greenville is busy too- you can always find an event going on here. We do Greek Festival, Oktoberfest, Artisphere, Fall for Greenville... just to name a few, and majority of them are free. Just walk the street and enjoy. If you are into outdoor activity you've got Fall's Park for lounging (beautiful scenery and walking trails) and the Swamp Rabbit Trail and Paris Mountain nearby for hiking, biking, and recently hosting a yearly half marathon. There is a growing list of delicious restaurants too, and the craft beer industry is booming here. I live in New York City now, and I still find myself missing the culture and community of Greenville. Excited to be home next year! Let me know if I can help out with any other Greenville questions

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Pretty much all of this!

Hey I am an OOS applicant and am just wondering, is it worth it anymore to have any hope? It seems like they might have misplaced my ap!

Hey I am an OOS applicant and am just wondering, is it worth it anymore to have any hope? It seems like they might have misplaced my ap!

61397226.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Any IS students from east of Columbia (and no upstate ties) getting any love from USC-G?

My friend was accepted last month after one month on hold. He's a white male, OOS, high grades, low MCAT

Thank you! This gives me some sort of hope. I received a "continuing to evaluate" email yesterday. Interviewed 12/1.

Just relinquished my acceptance here, hopefully it goes to one of you guys! Best of luck, USC Greenville was pretty damn amazing!

Still complete and utter silence :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

@The Knife & Gun Club it appears you are having quite the successful cycle!! Kudos to you good sir!! :clap:

Reactions: 3 users
Hey @Greenvillain I'm trying to get a feel for how students actually dress in regards to the dress code. I know that a collared shirt is required for males, is that typically a dress shirt or are casual button downs common too? I assume typically khakis are paired with that. Do students wear dress shoes daily? Would dressier boots be common or looked at as a bit out of place?

Thanks!

Hey @Greenvillain I'm trying to get a feel for how students actually dress in regards to the dress code. I know that a collared shirt is required for males, is that typically a dress shirt or are casual button downs common too? I assume typically khakis are paired with that. Do students wear dress shoes daily? Would dressier boots be common or looked at as a bit out of place?

Thanks!

There is a dress code?

Thanks!

When I was there both my tour guides were wearing casual button downs tucked into khakis/dark pants. One dude was in boat shoes and the other had dressier boots on. N=2 is not a great sample size though :thinking:

Have any accepted students received the certiphi background check from amcas?

Last edited:
Have any accepted students received the certiphi background check from amcas?

I got mine last week. The results came back not even a day after I submitted it and then released to Greenville. I don't know why AMCAS cant make every thing that simple o_O

Last edited:
Completely serious question for current students, previous interviewees and South Carolina residents: I'm interviewing here in a few weeks, and was wondering if you think it would be appropriate to wear a bowtie, or at least some color? I've gone the advisable, conservative route on all of my previous interviews, wearing mostly blue or black, but I am dying to change it up a little bit, and I felt South Carolina of all places might be the place to do it. I'm not saying over the top, still a blue blazer, but would a colorful bowtie and maybe even some pale/beige slacks be frowned up, or has anyone who interviewed here found that such a sartorial choice would be totally acceptable? Many thanks in advance for the collective input! :)

Completely serious question for current students, previous interviewees and South Carolina residents: I'm interviewing here in a few weeks, and was wondering if you think it would be appropriate to wear a bowtie, or at least some color? I've gone the advisable, conservative route on all of my previous interviews, wearing mostly blue or black, but I am dying to change it up a little bit, and I felt South Carolina of all places might be the place to do it. I'm not saying over the top, still a blue blazer, but would a colorful bowtie and maybe even some pale/beige slacks be frowned up, or has anyone who interviewed here found that such a sartorial choice would be totally acceptable? Many thanks in advance for the collective input! :)

Someone on my interview date had a bowtie and I thought it was cool. However, he also had white soled wingtip shoes on and some neon blue/green socks. I'd say the bowtie is fine but don't go so far so that you bring into question whether you are taking the interview seriously.

Thanks!

Yes, as far as I remember you can wear either. As far as shoes...honestly no one cares. I've worn both slip on shoes and dress boots. Easiest way to think about it is what would you be consider to be appropriate for your doctor to wear (unfortunately, scrubs are not a valid answer...we tried, though. :laugh:)

Someone on my interview date had a bowtie and I thought it was cool. However, he also had white soled wingtip shoes on and some neon blue/green socks. I'd say the bowtie is fine but don't go so far so that you bring into question whether you are taking the interview seriously.

Okay! That totally makes sense and sounds reasonable. Thanks for sharing your experience!