2015-2016 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*Pass/fail for pre-clinical curriculum, or first 1.5 years*

There is NO internal ranking or grades until you start doing rotations. Residencies care mostly about step exams, but you will have a percentile based on clinical grades (last 2.5 years) when you apply.

I believe AOA is based on 3rd/4th year grades, but you'd have to ask a dean or admissions for clarity on that! It's not on my radar since our current performance is not factored in :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
*Pass/fail for pre-clinical curriculum, or first 1.5 years*

@CherrySmog can you enlighten me as to how pass/fail actually works? For example, do students earn a "number grade"..i.e 81% or 77% but anything above a certain value is pass, everything below is fail? I ask this question because earning a number grade on an exam allows an individual to determine how well/poor he or she did. How can mastery of content be determined with only pass/fail?

Thank you for your time!

Current MS1 at UTSW! For those of you who are freaking out, I didn't interview until January of last year and was accepted in May....It seems like a good amount of people I've met here got off the waitlist last cycle (so don't lose hope!). I would be more than happy to answer anyone's questions about the new curriculum or admissions.
This might be random, but does first year housing allow you to have a pet? I'm considering getting a small dog if I go to UTSW.

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be random, but does first year housing allow you to have a pet? I'm considering getting a small dog if I go to UTSW.
If you are talking about Med park, then no I don't think they allow pets.

Last edited:
I sent mine late January/early February after I found out I didn't match to UTSW and was waitlisted. I've heard similar things from others. I would make it personal and explain why this school is the best place for you to be and what you've been doing since you submitted your applications.

Our weeks really vary. The beginning of last semester was hard because we were juggling Human Structure (anatomy), Microanatomy (histology), and a third class (genetics, biochem, bugs and drugs, immune, etc). We generally had 3 lectures per day (I streamed at 1.6x) and something in the afternoons 2-4x/week. Once we started finishing things up, our schedule lightened and it was easier to manage. Starting in January we will begin organ systems and it will be nice to focus on just one thing.

We have TBLs ~2X/month. They are a waste of time in my opinion. I don't know why they make such a big deal about it to applicants. I would not use this as a factor when choosing between schools.

Overall, UTSW is TOUGH. The curriculum was hard before and it is even more accelerated now....my saving grace is that we are P/F. I know I wouldn't be happy if it was any other way. While I have been challenged, I have still been able to pass everything and maintain a social life, exercise, spend time with my boyfriend, and go out once a week. Others have more or less free time depending on the person.

...Just be warned that if you come here you will be working very hard from day 1 :) Probably true at any school, but especially here!!
Thanks, I appreciate it the feedback, certainly expecting here or anywhere to be challenging, but true P/F seems to make up for it! Glad TBL isn't used too often, I think it could be another nice way to get experience working in groups but could certainly be counterproductive if it were way over done.

>70= pass
<70=fail

You still see your individual number score, as well as the class average. No one else is keeping track of that aside from yourself though!

There is very limited "student housing." The waitlist is already very long for this coming year. If you haven't already been accepted and applied for it, it is very unlikely you will get a spot in Med Park. I wouldn't worry too much, there are many options around the school and even better options (safer, cheaper, etc) in neighborhoods 7-12 minutes from campus! Most places I've looked at allow pets if you are ok with paying a small deposit or monthly fee.

Been awfully quiet here. Is anyone looking forward to January 21?

Reactions: 1 user
Could any current student who went to the acceptances student weekend in previous years give their input on whether it was a huge contributor to their final decision? Money is really tight right now, so I'm not sure if I should go out to Dallas(I'm at an OOS undergrad) UTSW had been my dream school for a long time so Im leaning towards it right now, but that could change if the stars align and a huge reach school I interviewed at accepts me.

Could any current student who went to the acceptances student weekend in previous years give their input on whether it was a huge contributor to their final decision? Money is really tight right now, so I'm not sure if I should go out to Dallas(I'm at an OOS undergrad) UTSW had been my dream school for a long time so Im leaning towards it right now, but that could change if the stars align and a huge reach school I interviewed at accepts me.

For me, it was useful to explore the area around the school/potential housing opportunities and have additional time with students to answer lingering questions and figure out overall "fit" (whatever the heck that means to you). It didn't change how I thought about the UTSW, but I did leave with a little peace of mind knowing that I liked most of the current class + accepted applicants.

Honestly, what you get out of a 2nd look depends on how familiar you are with the school and the surrounding area to begin with. If you're comfortable that you have enough information on hand to made an confident decision about attending/not attending the school, the 2nd look probably won't do much to change your thoughts. I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can on here, as well (although I can't speak to the new curriculum ... really stopped paying attention to that once I finished taking Step).

I am really bummed that UTSW only offers a 2nd look after match day though. I wish they would have had a 2nd look for accepted students before the preference ranking deadline, but since I will be ranking another school that I got a pre-match at higher tomorow I will never see UTSW again!! Sad day :(

I am really bummed that UTSW only offers a 2nd look after match day though. I wish they would have had a 2nd look for accepted students before the preference ranking deadline, but since I will be ranking another school that I got a pre-match at higher tomorow I will never see UTSW again!! Sad day :(
I got accepted to 6 Texas schools and only one did a pre match second look day. I think that is so strange. It is probably hard to do second look days while they are still conducting interviews.

I got accepted to 6 Texas schools and only one did a pre match second look day. I think that is so strange. It is probably hard to do second look days while they are still conducting interviews.
Well I know UTHSCSA, A&M, and Dell all had one but I'm not sure about everyone else. I do agree though, that is strange. I guess it is because they are still conducting interviews.

Well I know UTHSCSA, A&M, and Dell all had one but I'm not sure about everyone else. I do agree though, that is strange. I guess it is because they are still conducting interviews.
Oh yeah, A&M did have one. I have just meet so many people that got into 4+ Texas schools and a 2nd look would be useful in ranking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though it's P/F, anyone know if residencies see your class rank or quartile when you apply?

My understanding is that your clinical component will be graded.

The P/F component is true P/F, meaning that it shouldn't show up anywhere (I still don't understand why places that do P/F but rank you anyways, as it seems to defeat the purpose of the system).

Couldn't seem to find it in the thread, can someone please clarify if OOS students are continually in review or are ranked/waitlisted?

Couldn't seem to find it in the thread, can someone please clarify if OOS students are continually in review or are ranked/waitlisted?
From what I've seen, it's an unranked waitlist, and it gets created in early February. At least I think that's what happened last year.

Thanks so much for all your help! If its a true pass/fail, how are class percentile determined for residencies? And what will AOA be based on?

I don't exactly know how it will be for the post-curriculum reform classes, but currently AOA is determined by a complicated formula that is ~45% class rank, ~45% ECs, and ~10% peer evaluations from third year clerkships. Only the first quartile is eligible to apply. Step 1 currently isn't factored in at all, which is different from some other med schools.

For those who attend UTSW, does anybody actually match to UTSW on match day? Looking at the old forums shows grim results lol.

Is there a facebook group up for the class of 2020?

Did anyone match Southwestern or receive a waitlist email yet?

Any OOS hear anything? It's been silence since my interview 4 months ago...

Did anyone match Southwestern or receive a waitlist email yet?

Not gonna happen. Their class was probably full prior to match and today just open up wait list spots, that's my bet.

I know Southwestern rejects post-match so I'm really hoping for a spot on the waitlist.

Does UTSW send an email letting you know if you have been waitlisted or rejected?

Does UTSW send an email letting you know if you have been waitlisted or rejected?

Yes, they do. I received a waitlist email last year by the end of the week (no idea what kind of variation there is around when you hear about it).

Yes, they do. I received a waitlist email last year by the end of the week (no idea what kind of variation there is around when you hear about it).
By the end of the match week or week you interviewed?

Just got the email from Anne. I am on the alternate list. Now the wait can slowly kill me. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just got the email from Anne. I am on the alternate list. Now the wait can slowly kill me. :)
+1

So the email seems to recommend against sending in any letter of intent - is this a new addition to the message, or has it been said before, as well, and people have simply sent them in anyway?

+1

So the email seems to recommend against sending in any letter of intent - is this a new addition to the message, or has it been said before, as well, and people have simply sent them in anyway?
If you are on their alternate list it means that you have them ranked higher than the school you matched at, so they know you are interested.

If you are on their alternate list it means that you have them ranked higher than the school you matched at, so they know you are interested.
Yeah, the email said they would assume as much. I only ask because of the earlier posts from current UTSW students saying that they did send in LOIs, no other reason. But thank you! :)

Yeah, the email said they would assume as much. I only ask because of the earlier posts from current UTSW students saying that they did send in LOIs, no other reason. But thank you! :)
My bad. Yeah, I am sure if you have some major update... Defeating superman in battle, world peace, climbing Mt. Everest, or running sub 4 minutes for the mile you could send them a quick update.

Also waitlisted!! Absolutely thrilled I wasn't rejected tbh.

Does anyone know how much waitlist movement there usually is for OOS applicants??

Also waitlisted!! Absolutely thrilled I wasn't rejected tbh.

Does anyone know how much waitlist movement there usually is for OOS applicants??
Does SW even do post interview rejects?

Quick question, can I accept a match offer somewhere else while waitlisted here?

Does UTSW send out any rejection emails post-match day or are you supposed to just assume the silence means there's no hope?

Quick question, can I accept a match offer somewhere else while waitlisted here?
Yes. If you were matched to a lower ranked school than UTSW, then you remain on UTSW potential pool of applicants in the waitlist. By June 1 however, if you haven't heard back from UTSW, you will be matriculating at your matched school.

Does SW even do post interview rejects?
Hey!
So I just called admissions with this question and they're working on the rejection emails right now. I mentioned that some people haven't heard back yet and he responded by saying that only the waitlist emails have gone out.

Also for any other OOS-ers, I asked about waitlist movement for OOS and he said he couldn't tell me because he's new/just started working there, but he would ask Anne once she gets back tonight or someone can just email her.
:)

Edit: he also said he's unsure if the class is filled.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey!
So I just called admissions with this question and they're working on the rejection emails right now. I mentioned that some people haven't heard back yet and he responded by saying that only the waitlist emails have gone out.

Also for any other OOS-ers, I asked about waitlist movement for OOS and he said he couldn't tell me because he's new/just started working there, but he would ask Anne once she gets back tonight or someone can just email her.
:)

Edit: he also said he's unsure if the class is filled.
I believe last year UTSW came out of the Match with like 10 or so empty seats!!! Historically, they made like 340-350 offers within the match/prematch period, but last year the total number of offers as of Match Day was like 220.

I believe last year UTSW came out of the Match with like 10 or so empty seats!!!

I don't think this is necessarily true. This sounds like it might be calculated from the UTSW class size (230) - # of match offers (220) = 10.
This calculation does not take in to consideration spots that were already set aside for students in programs like BS/MD.

A current student estimated that 50% of the final class comes from pre-match, 10% from special programs, and 40% from the waitlist.

There are 20 students coming from UT-PACT and some numbers coming from other programs like JAMP.

Quick Question: would it be okay to bring your parents as a guests or just one of them to the MS0 weekend? Or is that more of a "bring your spouse" event. Thanks.