2015-2016 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone get their financial aid yet? Still waiting, and hate that I might have to make a decision on schools without knowing.

Sorry, it's up now. You can check it out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone receive significant need based loans or grants? I am just wondering if my relatively late submission of FAFSA affected that or UTSW just doesn't really have need based grants.

Did anyone receive significant need based loans or grants? I am just wondering if my relatively late submission of FAFSA affected that or UTSW just doesn't really have need based grants.

No major scholarships/grants for me. Submitted FAFSA in February.

But I know people who received significant scholarships when they prematched. I don't think it depends on when you submitted your FAFSA.

Members don't see this ad :)
No major scholarships/grants for me. Submitted FAFSA in February.

But I know people who received significant scholarships when they prematched. I don't think it depends on when you submitted your FAFSA.
Cool, I guess they don't do need based financial aid or at least didn't have any this year.

What is considered significant need-based aid? They did say that there is an opportunity for more scholarships which will be aimed at individuals with the greatest need.

Well at this point any need based financial aid would be news, based on responses I have received through PM and the response on the thread. I would imagine any need based grants they will offer have been offered at this point though as it makes little sense from a recruiting standpoint to wait till later to award it.
Edit: I received a PM from someone who did receive a $5000 need based grant, so it looks like UTSW does have some need based aid.
What is considered significant need-based aid? They did say that there is an opportunity for more scholarships which will be aimed at individuals with the greatest need.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if UT southwestern (the one in new curriculum) takes their step 1 right after pre clinical? so around January/February?

Does anyone know if UT southwestern (the one in new curriculum) takes their step 1 right after pre clinical? so around January/February?
Most take it at the end of year 2 (after at least one rotation) I think

Thanks for the reply. So I am guessing around April/May? Do they get dedicated?
What do you mean by dedicated? I believe they have certain time to study for step 1. If I remember correctly, you can choose to take step 1 any time (even after 2nd year) but I might be messing this up with another school.

Now that financial aid information is out, I'm trying to budget expenditures for the year to see how much money I will need to accept from the loans I've been offered. Can any current medical students weigh in on how much money I should be allocating to different things? On the UTSW 'estimated costs' page they've detailed the following...

Housing and meals
$10,854

Books and supplies
$6,070

Transportation
$2,815

Other education costs
$9,996

How accurate would you all say this is?

Also, I have a question about doing research in the summer between MS1 and MS2. I know UTSW offers its own program and I'm sure many students participate in it, but I'm wondering if any students take that time off to do research elsewhere. UTSW research is excellent, but considering I'll be there for the next 4 years, I've been thinking about using this 2.5 month gap as a good opportunity to experience living in a different place and seeing how departments at a different school may operate.

Thanks!

So last year, it looks like some individuals were rejected from the waitlist on the tenth of April. Does anyone know if that has happened this cycle? If not, do you guys think the waitlist will be cut down before people start getting accepted? I also noticed that the first people to get off the waitlist heard back on 4/20 last cycle. Maybe we'll hear something soon :)

I don't think we'll hear till May. Last year, you only had until April 15 to select 1 school and drop any other acceptances.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do any current or incoming students have advice as far as laptop selection goes? I've read over the Laptop document published by UTSW and am highly considering getting a Surface Pro 4 or a Surface book. However, they are pretty expensive, so I just wanted to gather some opinions before making a purchase. Any thoughts? Thanks!

for those accepted, is there a deposit? i havent heard anything about one?

Was anyone accepted off the waitlist today?

Just withdrew (out of state). Definitely one of the toughest decisions I've ever made. Hopefully there will be some movement soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Any idea when the first wave of acceptances off of the waitlist are gonna go out?

Accepted OOS just now by email. Did any other OOS folks get offered in-state tuition and if so, was it stated in the email?

Accepted OOS just now by email. Did any other OOS folks get offered in-state tuition and if so, was it stated in the email?
Congratulations! I am OOS also. For me, the guaranteed in-state tuition was not stated in my acceptance email but in the snail mail acceptance envelope.

Just got off the waitlist. IS.

Congratulations! I am OOS also. For me, the guaranteed in-state tuition was not stated in my acceptance email but in the snail mail acceptance envelope.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping.

I was thinking there was going to be a massive IS WL movement, not just one person posting. This time last year several students posted on SDN about getting off wait list on the same day. So I will be hoping for large volume movement here shortly.

Is mygateway down for anyone else? I used to be able to see my application status there, but that option disappeared.

Is mygateway down for anyone else? I used to be able to see my application status there, but that option disappeared.
Yeah mine is down as well. I used to be able to see my interview status along with my application status about a month ago, so they might just be cleaning it up.

Is there any chance for OOS to get off of WL now?

Is there any chance for OOS to get off of WL now?

Based on pure speculation based on what I've seen and heard this far: Yes. I don't think they've offered many acceptances since the April deadline. Their waitlist isn't ranked so maybe they spend a lot of time going through it in early May.

Based on pure speculation based on what I've seen and heard this far: Yes. I don't think they've offered many acceptances since the April deadline. Their waitlist isn't ranked so maybe they spend a lot of time going through it in early May.

Thank you for letting me know :) Let's hope for the best!

Any more news regarding IS waitlist movement?

Anyone else shocked by the lack of WL movement? I was looking at the thread from last year, and several people posted about getting in off the WL this time last year, yet is appears no major movement has happened? WTH?!?

Anyone else shocked by the lack of WL movement? I was looking at the thread from last year, and several people posted about getting in off the WL this time last year, yet is appears no major movement has happened? WTH?!?
I talked to a lot of students on interview day that got in like may 30th. They said a majority of wl movement happened at the end of the month.

Reactions: 1 users

I contacted admissions and asked about the waitlist movement. According to them, the waitlist is moving and acceptances have been sent out. From what she said, it seemed to me that a good amount had gone out. The only problem is that students have until the end of May to accept (based on what I got from her), hence the May 30th mentioned above. I guess we are now just waiting for students to make their decision.

I contacted admissions and asked about the waitlist movement. According to them, the waitlist is moving and acceptances have been sent out. From what she said, it seemed to me that a good amount had gone out. The only problem is that students have until the end of May to accept (based on what I got from her), hence the May 30th mentioned above. I guess we are now just waiting for students to make their decision.
WHAT?? Why do people have that much time to decide? Ughhhhhh please make it fast people......

Thanks for calling and sharing the info :)

It could also be that the people who have been accepted are just not a part of SDN, and therefore there is no way for us to know if and when people have been accepted. However, if people are really good at stalking the Facebook page, we might have some knowledge

The only problem is that students have until the end of May to accept (based on what I got from her), hence the May 30th mentioned above

Also accepted off the waitlist today! The email says we have until May 27th to decide. Good luck to everyone else who is waiting!

Last edited:
Accepted off the wait list earlier today. IS.

Last edited:
Any OOS acceptances today?

Oh my goodness I got in!! So excited!!!!!!! OOS interviewed October 15th... so long ago... what a grueling process

Oh my goodness I got in!! So excited!!!!!!! OOS interviewed October 15th... so long ago... what a grueling process
That is Awesome. Good for you. You deserve it your stats are great! How much time did they give you to accept the offer? Just curious to see if they will send out another round of offers.