2015-2016 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@hopeS.O. have you seen the agenda for MS0 weekend? I was going to bring my dad with me, but I changed my mind when I saw the agenda.

Members don't see this ad.

@hopeS.O. have you seen the agenda for MS0 weekend? I was going to bring my dad with me, but I changed my mind when I saw the agenda.
True. I did think it was quite a lot. I was going to bring my dad too, but you're right. Thanks.

I don't think this is necessarily true. This sounds like it might be calculated from the UTSW class size (230) - # of match offers (220) = 10.
This calculation does not take in to consideration spots that were already set aside for students in programs like BS/MD.

A current student estimated that 50% of the final class comes from pre-match, 10% from special programs, and 40% from the waitlist.
Do you know what the usual movement is like off the OOS waitlist?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think this is necessarily true. This sounds like it might be calculated from the UTSW class size (230) - # of match offers (220) = 10.
This calculation does not take in to consideration spots that were already set aside for students in programs like BS/MD.

A current student estimated that 50% of the final class comes from pre-match, 10% from special programs, and 40% from the waitlist.

So do people who were part of that wait listed 40% get letters in the mail telling them what tier they are in? I saw somewhere that all wait listed students are ranked in either the top 1/3, middle 1/3 or bottom 1/3. Would love to know what chance I have lol.

@nataliekayx01 I'm pretty sure the waitlist email from last Monday is the only information we're going to get. Some schools inform waitlisted applicants about which tier they're in, but I don't think UTSW is one of them. It's pretty much wait and see if you get an offer. This is going to be a long four months.

@gh89 I don't know about OOS. The student who told me all this was IS. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful!

Withdrew my acceptance today (OOS). Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 6 users
Withdrew my acceptance today (OOS). Best of luck to all!
I LOVE YOU!!!
(in a totally casual noncommittal notatall crazy kind of way)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Baylor sent out their first wave of acceptances today. Hopefully we start seeing some waitlist movement!

Reactions: 3 users
So do people who were part of that wait listed 40% get letters in the mail telling them what tier they are in? I saw somewhere that all wait listed students are ranked in either the top 1/3, middle 1/3 or bottom 1/3. Would love to know what chance I have lol.

I was on the waitlist last year and they informed me that although we may be ranked, they will not release individual applicant rankings. I'm not sure if the same system holds in this cycle but it seems likely.

Just got my receipt of withdrawal email which kind of made me sad that I didn't choose to attend this school. Well I guess there's always residency!

So, If I happened to miss my flight to Dallas and cannot make it to the MS0 weekend, should I email someone and let them know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys!!

I was accepted at match. Standard scores. I heard some other people talking about this forum at the 2nd look weekend. Is there a facebook group or something?

Also, did their welcome weekend change your mind? I was hoping for Baylor still, but when I went into that room with all the red and Taylor Swift playing, I really felt like it was a good match for me. Like, that's the place I want to be.

Hey Guys!!

I was accepted at match. Standard scores. I heard some other people talking about this forum at the 2nd look weekend. Is there a facebook group or something?

Also, did their welcome weekend change your mind? I was hoping for Baylor still, but when I went into that room with all the red and Taylor Swift playing, I really felt like it was a good match for me. Like, that's the place I want to be.

Not that this means much coming from someone who's on the waitlist here, but I have a lot of friends who were able to go to MS0 weekend and they thought it was amazing. The school did a great job of showing up and presenting themselves. A lot of them have already been accepted at Baylor as well and they say the decision between the two is a lot tougher now! Good luck with whatever you decide!

I was at ms0 weekend too! I was in the blue college (I can't remember their name) right next to sprague! I wish I was placed in sprague, the people there were so much chiller and they won the best college award too! I really hope this doesn't mean that we are gonna be in the same college if we decide to come here! (This probably impacts my decision...)

p.s. did anybody else think that the students at southwestern and at ms0 were easy on the eyes?!?!

Reactions: 2 users
I was at ms0 weekend too! I was in the blue college (I can't remember their name) right next to sprague! I wish I was placed in sprague, the people there were so much chiller and they won the best college award too! I really hope this doesn't mean that we are gonna be in the same college if we decide to come here! (This probably impacts my decision...)

Gonna guess you got placed into Pritchard. Sprague sucks :laugh:

p.s. did anybody else think that the students at southwestern and at ms0 were easy on the eyes?!?!

^ obviously the most important thing to consider haha

Reactions: 1 users
I'm glad I'm not the only one impressed by the talent here!!

Can anyone confirm if the waitlist is ranked or not? And if it is, does the admissions office tell you how you're ranked (eg top fourth) if you call? Thanks!

Can anyone confirm if the waitlist is ranked or not? And if it is, does the admissions office tell you how you're ranked (eg top fourth) if you call? Thanks!

This was from the waitlist email.
"What is your place on the list? UT Southwestern does not rank the alternate list and will resume 'rolling' admissions as places in the class become available."

Hi All - I am quite new to this forum and would appreciate your feedback regarding my chances:
GPA 3.95; MCAT 513; CP:129, CARS:125, Bio:130, Psych:129
TX Resident
120 Hrs of Shadowing Experience
200+ hrs of Community Service/Volunteering
120 hrs of Clinical Experience
150+ hrs spent in dance/musical and fundraising events
3 semesters of research experience
Would like to understand my chances at UT Southwestern in the next cycle. Thanks in advance!

Hi All - I am quite new to this forum and would appreciate your feedback regarding my chances:
GPA 3.95; MCAT 513; CP:129, CARS:125, Bio:130, Psych:129
TX Resident
120 Hrs of Shadowing Experience
200+ hrs of Community Service/Volunteering
120 hrs of Clinical Experience
150+ hrs spent in dance/musical and fundraising events
3 semesters of research experience
Would like to understand my chances at UT Southwestern in the next cycle. Thanks in advance!

Apply May 1st and you will probably pre-match.

Thank u, E pur si muove! I am a tad worried about my CARS score. Will that hurt my chances a bit though?

In the first part of the secondary, when they ask if you are interested in primary care, would being interested in Emergency Medicine qualify? Cause don't you have to have a background in primary care to go into EM?

In the first part of the secondary, when they ask if you are interested in primary care, would being interested in Emergency Medicine qualify? Cause don't you have to have a background in primary care to go into EM?
As far as primary care scholarships go, EM doesn't qualify. At least for the scholarships I've been looking into.
And the one EM physician I know went straight from med school into EM residency, so I don't know what you mean about the background thing. Obviously EM physicians have a very broad knowledge base because they see lots of different things, but as far as I know that doesn't make it primary care.
Maybe somebody else will know more about it than I do :)

Primary care = IM/FM/Pediatrics (think of clinic docs that people would see for a common cold, yearly physicals, routine health maintenance)

For those that pre-matched and then matched to UTSW, has there been anything that we've needed to do since like last November when we signed the acceptance letter? Besides FAFSA

For currents students, what are housing options aside from Med Park (which I just realized I was probably too late for). Thanks.

Anyone know when we're supposed to hear about our financial aid offers?

For currents students, what are housing options aside from Med Park (which I just realized I was probably too late for). Thanks.[/Q

You should check out the "you are in, now what" section of the admission website and you will see the MSO weekend information. There is a PDF file there lists where student lives.

Does anyone who lives in the area know of any good gyms near by. I'll be driving, so I don't mind a 10-15 minute commute.

Does anyone who lives in the area know of any good gyms near by. I'll be driving, so I don't mind a 10-15 minute commute.

I use LA Fitness and I stay about 15-20 mins away from school. Other good option is 24 hour fitness.

So, this semster, I'm probably looking at 4 hours of As, 3 of Bs, and 3 of Cs (1 class). I'm wondering if this will be a worry for my offer being rescinded. My GPa will only go down to a 3.92 but I'm worried about the decline in grades. Please appease the worry or address it appropriately. Drowning in anxiety.

So, this semster, I'm probably looking at 4 hours of As, 3 of Bs, and 3 of Cs (1 class). I'm wondering if this will be a worry for my offer being rescinded. My GPa will only go down to a 3.92 but I'm worried about the decline in grades. Please appease the worry or address it appropriately. Drowning in anxiety.

You will be fine. Just hang in there

Anyone have an idea or hint of when award letters will be available to view? Waiting anxiously.

At second look the Dean said grades don't matter anymore, so I stopped trying (Obviously still doing enough to pass)

So last year, it looks like some individuals were rejected from the waitlist on the tenth of April. Does anyone know if that has happened this cycle? If not, do you guys think the waitlist will be cut down before people start getting accepted? I also noticed that the first people to get off the waitlist heard back on 4/20 last cycle. Maybe we'll hear something soon :)

So last year, it looks like some individuals were rejected from the waitlist on the tenth of April. Does anyone know if that has happened this cycle? If not, do you guys think the waitlist will be cut down before people start getting accepted? I also noticed that the first people to get off the waitlist heard back on 4/20 last cycle. Maybe we'll hear something soon :)
I don't know but it's so stressful :'(

I guess I have been expecting not to hear anything from the waitlist until after April 30th. The sooner the better though.

Last edited:
So how is financial aid for those that get accepted very late? Do they still have a chance to earn some decent scholarships?

EDIT: just wanted to clarify that I have not been accepted. I was just curious

In terms of financial aid, as long as your FAFSA has been processed before acceptance you should be fine. I remembered during the MS0 weekend we were told that everyone will get some kind of the same financial aid package because some people don't even know they will attend this school till sometimes in May and this was in February. Off course there will be limited amount of grant/scholarship left because the bulk of those would have gone to those accepted earlier.

Anyone get their financial aid yet? Still waiting, and hate that I might have to make a decision on schools without knowing.