2015-2016 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the response. I'm going to get working on that. @Ginred if you find anything, can you post it for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Will be a part of the E2015 class. Feel free to ask me any questions! I'm an Idahoan, if that means anything of you all. Good luck!!

Applying for the 2016 cycle and I am an Idaho resident. Any pointers? I love the Salt Lake area, interested in primary care, UUSOM is an extremely attractive school to me. cGPA 3.59, sGPA 3.39, took the MCAT 7/17. I have many hours volunteering in the VA, free clinics, hospice and paid experience as an ER scribe, CNA, medical office experience. I am just hoping that my average GPAs will not discourage my changes? Maybe I am overthinking. I turned in primaries a little later, 7/31/15.

Applying for the 2016 cycle and I am an Idaho resident. Any pointers? I love the Salt Lake area, interested in primary care, UUSOM is an extremely attractive school to me. cGPA 3.59, sGPA 3.39, took the MCAT 7/17. I have many hours volunteering in the VA, free clinics, hospice and paid experience as an ER scribe, CNA, medical office experience. I am just hoping that my average GPAs will not discourage my changes? Maybe I am overthinking. I turned in primaries a little later, 7/31/15.

I am currently a second year medical student and an Idaho resident so I figured I would chime in. Based on my experience interviewing and my interactions with my classmates, Utah really seems to take holistic review seriously. A lot of schools pay lip service to the idea of holistic review but there is a really broad spectrum of MCAT scores and overall life experiences in our class. Clearly you have some significant involvement in extracurricular and clinical activities so that is definitely a positive for you. I think that intrinsic factor involved with your GPA (i.e. I did poorly because I had no clue how to study as a freshman but I buckled down and made great progress each successive year or whatever your circumstance may be) is more important than the numerical value of your GPA.

Just my two cents, best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Chan posted on fb/twitter saying that they would be sent out in the next couple weeks. I don't know the exact prompt for re-applicants, but I believe it something along the lines of "What have you done since your last application?" I think it is 2000 characters as well. @Ginred might know the specific wording.
Thanks for the response. I'm going to get working on that. @Ginred if you find anything, can you post it for me?
From last year's secondary:

If you are reapplying to the University of Utah School of Medicine, list the significant changes e.g., degree(s), activities, etc. since your previous application in the space below. (2000 characters)

If you do not intend to enroll in any courses, explain the learning pursuits in which you will be involved in the space below. (2000 characters)

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently a second year medical student and an Idaho resident so I figured I would chime in. Based on my experience interviewing and my interactions with my classmates, Utah really seems to take holistic review seriously. A lot of schools pay lip service to the idea of holistic review but there is a really broad spectrum of MCAT scores and overall life experiences in our class. Clearly you have some significant involvement in extracurricular and clinical activities so that is definitely a positive for you. I think that intrinsic factor involved with your GPA (i.e. I did poorly because I had no clue how to study as a freshman but I buckled down and made great progress each successive year or whatever your circumstance may be) is more important than the numerical value of your GPA.

Just my two cents, best of luck.

I appreciate it! Thank you so much.

So just to be clear, secondaries haven't been sent out yet right? :( Did anyone receive any kind of verification about their primary yet? I've gotten no communication at all from Utah, and it's slightly worrying hahaha.

So just to be clear, secondaries haven't been sent out yet right? :( Did anyone receive any kind of verification about their primary yet? I've gotten no communication at all from Utah, and it's slightly worrying hahaha.
"2400+ applications and climbing, secondary invites going out within 2 weeks." This was posted on their twitter account on the 27th of July. Hopefully they will send them out soon!

IDmed_girl: Good luck in applying. I can't comment about your stats, but they shouldn't keep you from Utah or WWAMI. Don't get hung up on your GPA or MCAT, because a broad range of scores can make it in.

For me, the secondary was very specific on what was "average" and "above average", and that was over a wide range of things (from volunteering, to shadowing, to research etc). Basically that showed me that Utah really values all sorts of things, not just GPA and MCAT.

What I like about Utah (as opposed to WWAMI) is that you are applying to go to school in SLC at the U (as opposed to a branch of UW). I think that opens up a lot of opportunity. I'd say your love of SLC and the U won't really help that much, since everyone that applies probably says that. But what will help is your passion and insight from your various activities.

IDmed_girl: Good luck in applying. I can't comment about your stats, but they shouldn't keep you from Utah or WWAMI. Don't get hung up on your GPA or MCAT, because a broad range of scores can make it in.

For me, the secondary was very specific on what was "average" and "above average", and that was over a wide range of things (from volunteering, to shadowing, to research etc). Basically that showed me that Utah really values all sorts of things, not just GPA and MCAT.

What I like about Utah (as opposed to WWAMI) is that you are applying to go to school in SLC at the U (as opposed to a branch of UW). I think that opens up a lot of opportunity. I'd say your love of SLC and the U won't really help that much, since everyone that applies probably says that. But what will help is your passion and insight from your various activities.

Thank you so much for your reply!!

IS here. Waiting eagerly for the application. The U had been the goal for 4 years now. I have based everything off their admissions requirements. Fortunately it also prepared me well for other schools in applying to. Excited to get this started!

Reactions: 2 users
IS here. Waiting eagerly for the application. The U had been the goal for 4 years now. I have based everything off their admissions requirements. Fortunately it also prepared me well for other schools in applying to. Excited to get this started!
Same here! When people ask me how to prepare for medical school I tell em, "excel at everything on the U of U Med School Admissions page and you should get into every school you apply to except for maybe Utah." I've known people who have been way above average in every category who've been turned down but accepted to an impressive number of other schools. Sad though as they wanted to stay in Utah. Guess they failed at being "diverse" or weren't cute enough in their interviews. Good luck!

Hey did anyone get the secondary yet?

Nope... If the U's Twitter page is to be believed it should be here today or tomorrow, since that will be two weeks after the post which said "2400+ applications and climbing, secondary invites going out within 2 weeks."....Here's to hoping the secondary comes soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope... If the U's Twitter page is to be believed it should be here today or tomorrow, since that will be two weeks after the post which said "2400+ applications and climbing, secondary invites going out within 2 weeks."....Here's to hoping the secondary comes soon!
I'm thinking it will go out tomorrow. It is the first day of class for first years, so it makes sense. Good luck everybody. :owle:

Per the admission's office "Secondary invites will begin being sent out today. Due to the large application count, they will be sent out in groups. We ask for your patience as we proceed in this process, your invite will be coming soon! ‪#‎UUSOM‬‪#‎Classof2020‬" Good luck guys and just to reiterate what was said earlier, make sure and take your time on these essays, they are are highly important here!

Reactions: 4 users
Per the admission's office "Secondary invites will begin being sent out today. Due to the large application count, they will be sent out in groups. We ask for your patience as we proceed in this process, your invite will be coming soon! ‪#‎UUSOM‬‪#‎Classof2020‬" Good luck guys and just to reiterate what was said earlier, make sure and take your time on these essays, they are are highly important here!
Class of 2020- has a nice ring to it!

Oh and thanks for the heads up @zhopv10 !

Last edited:
Secondary received!

FYI: all materials MUST be submitted within 30 days. You also have to fill out some required classes, LOR writer information, and activity information.

GOOD LUCK.

I hate secondaries that make you enter your entire primary. I have completed it, but you have to wait until your payment and letters are processed to submit. So we'll have to check periodically to know when we can submit.

Anyone else not able to save parts of their secondary because the website says:
"The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error. Please contact the website administrator." ??

I hate secondaries that make you enter your entire primary. I have completed it, but you have to wait until your payment and letters are processed to submit. So we'll have to check periodically to know when we can submit.

Ready to submit as well. It's not very cool to not let us submit it before payment is processed. Poor system IMO. And I second the terribleness that is re entering your primary info.

I am reapplying here this year and am stoked that my coursework and activities copied over from last year. All I have to do is add anything I did from the last year. Yay!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else not able to save parts of their secondary because the website says:
"The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error. Please contact the website administrator." ??
I'm having the same problem.

I'm having the same problem.
meh. At least good to know I'm not the only one. I'm planning on calling in the morning. I'll post if I find anything helpful.

Anyone else still waiting on the secondary?

Anyone else still waiting on the secondary?

Still waiting on mine here... My AMCAS app wasn't processed until June 12th, so I'm assuming I'll be in a later group. Patience is a virtue, or so I'm told...

Still waiting on mine here... My AMCAS app wasn't processed until June 12th, so I'm assuming I'll be in a later group. Patience is a virtue, or so I'm told...

My AMCAS primary wasn't processed until July 23rd and I got it today, so it can't be that. I am IS though...

Admission sent this first thing this morning:

Good morning,
It has come to our attention that there are some issues with submitting secondary forms. If you are experiencing any errors or receive an error message, please notify our office via email of what the error or issue is so that we may work on correcting it. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have all issues resolved quickly.

Good morning,
It has come to our attention that there are some issues with submitting secondary forms. If you are experiencing any errors or receive an error message, please notify our office via email of what the error or issue is so that we may work on correcting it. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have all issues resolved quickly.

I still can't submit due to the error. Anyone else? Or has anyone been able to submit?

Good morning,

Lol I got this email as I was dialing their number. I wonder if they'll give us extra time? Depending on how long it takes to get sorted out. I guess the error doesn't necessarily stop us from writing it.

I still can't submit due to the error. Anyone else? Or has anyone been able to submit?

You can't officially submit until they've reviewed your LORs and deemed them satisfactory (they check to make sure there's a signature, and that the writer was very specific about what you did and exactly how long they knew you). The lady on the phone says they'll for sure look through your LORs in less than 10 days from the time you submit your application fee. And you still only have 30 days to get all of this done. So:

1. pay the application fee so that they download your letters and start processing.
2. Finish the app
3. check regularly to see if your letters have been approved so you can submit (apparently they don't send you an email when your LORs are okay)

EDIT: I'm actually not sure about the LORs. That's what the admissions office told me, but I was able to submit today.

Last edited:
Lol I got this email as I was dialing their number. I wonder if they'll give us extra time? Depending on how long it takes to get sorted out. I guess the error doesn't necessarily stop us from writing it.

You can't officially submit until they've reviewed your LORs and deemed them satisfactory (they check to make sure there's a signature, and that the writer was very specific about what you did and exactly how long they knew you). The lady on the phone says they'll for sure look through your LORs in less than 10 days from the time you submit your application fee. And you still only have 30 days to get all of this done. So:

1. pay the application fee so that they download your letters and start processing.
2. Finish the app
3. check regularly to see if your letters have been approved so you can submit (apparently they don't send you an email when your LORs are okay)

EDIT: I'm actually not sure about the LORs. That's what the admissions office told me, but I was able to submit today.

Hmmm. I don't think this is correct. I just got an email saying all the problems have been fixed and that j can now submit. Just submitted under a minute ago. Good luck to everyone!!

Hmmm. I don't think this is correct. I just got an email saying all the problems have been fixed and that j can now submit. Just submitted under a minute ago. Good luck to everyone!!
Yeah that's just what the admission office told me. But I'm Already submitted too so that can't be right

Yeah that's just what the admission office told me. But I'm Already submitted too so that can't be right

Yeah I'm actually a bit surprised with the miss information and tech problems. Didn't expect this from the U. Oh well I guess. Haha.

They fixed it all pretty quick though. Application is in!

Hello there! I'm a first year. We just started yesterday. I thought I'd jump in and wish you all the best of luck. The U admissions office does an excellent job and I found them pleasant to communicate with throughout the application process last year.

Is it frowned upon to list an activity in two different categories?

e.g.- mentoring/tutoring as both community service and leadership?

This is from the FAQ section of UUSOM's admissions page:
"Can I use one of my activities to count for two or more of the required activities?

Many preparatory experiences could reasonably be considered under more than one category and you should list them in each applicable area so that you do not fall short of meeting the criteria in any areas. The admissions committee suggests that you make your decisions about where to list your activities based on the impact that they have had on you and on your personal development."

The link for the FAQ's is here if you need it: http://medicine.utah.edu/admissions/faqs.php#count

I just received my secondary... verified on June 12th... don't worry, your applications are on the way!

I just got the secondary and it mentions that you should not "double dip" excessively, but using an activity for two categories should be fine if you only do it a little.

To any of you who have already received the secondary: is the 2000 character count including spaces or no spaces?

When I first received the secondary, I filled in letter writers from my packet. I decided I wanted to change one of the letters before submitting the app, but saw that all my letters had already been marked as received and completed. I just sent an email to ask if I could switch out a letter. I also submitted today as well. Fingers crossed. My app says I'm complete.

One of the current applicants can probably answer better, but my year you entered the experience for each year and how many hours were done in that year. Ex: x service 43 hrs, 2012 (description), x service 40 hrs 2013, x service 30 hrs 2014 etc...

For an activity that I have done for the last three years, I made three separate entries. (AKA I listed the same service activity multiple times depending on the number of years I have done it with a breakdown of the # of hours per year)

2013 - Activity A 30 hours
2014 - Activity A 45 hours
2015 - Activity A 34 hours

Hey all, thought I would send out the information I received from the admissions office at the U. They said not to worry if you haven't received a secondary yet, they have had record applicants this year and they are sending them out in batches. They said that the next batch should be sent out in the next few weeks.