2015-2016 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a pretty good rule of thumb. I'd say if you're in-state, even if we happened to have an amazing year and everyone we accepted chose to matriculate, a rank number up to 10-12 is probably going to be solid no matter what. It looked like the waitlist moved a lot more last year than it did 2 years ago because a ton of people end up withdrawing while on the waitlist, so even though they were something like "#21" they were the "10th" waitlist spot offered. It's hard to say how this year is looking, but I'm sure the list will slowly move as financial aid offers come out at other schools, and scholarship offers are redistributed at our school.

We are told to tell most OOS people that we have not had to pull from the waitlist in the past several years (1 or 2 likely at most), but I know we're also looking to increase the OOS class pool size, so there's a chance maybe the #1-4 spots could have an okay shot this year too. An M1 from the current class who is OOS told me that he was taken off the alternate list, but I don't know his exact circumstance (so don't give up hope if you're really dying to come here) :)

Thank you so much Jennyfishy!
Definitely appreciate current students hanging around w us.
I agree: 10-12 is solid.

I'm currently ranked in top 5 within IS WL
so Really looking forward to joining you and your classmates.
fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much Jennyfishy!
Definitely appreciate current students hanging around w us.
I agree: 10-12 is solid.

I'm currently ranked in top 5 within IS WL
so Really looking forward to joining you and your classmates.
fingers crossed.

From what I've heard/seen, your class is very lucky to be part of the new curriculum. More modern, eliminating redundancies, more integrated basic sciences once you hit the wards, 3 ish extra months of elective time around spring/summer of m3/early m4. Good things are coming.

Reactions: 3 users
Received a letter from UWSMPH yesterday, telling me that my application was no longer under consideration as my waitlist ranking was too low for an offer of admission to be possible. I didn't know that this was a possible outcome after being placed on the waitlist, but I am glad the wait is over. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a letter from UWSMPH yesterday, telling me that my application was no longer under consideration as my waitlist ranking was too low for an offer of admission to be possible. I didn't know that this was a possible outcome after being placed on the waitlist, but I am glad the wait is over. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!!
Sorry to hear that. I'm effectively in the same boat seeing as my WL ranking is >50, which I'm assuming is at the way end of the list.

Got a somewhat decent place on the waitlist. Really hoping for a little waitlist movement as Im not in the top 10.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that we could enlist one guest for second look day. Is it appropriate to bring a parent? I have seen it both ways at other second look events.

Got a somewhat decent place on the waitlist. Really hoping for a little waitlist movement as Im not in the top 10.
Good luck, I really hope it works out for you and the other waitlisters! Obviously, waitlist movement varies year to year. But I was curious why that is? Is it strictly due to the number of students who get accepted and decide to not attend UW? Or do the number of outright acceptances offered (directly after interview not counting acceptances offered from waitlist) vary year to year?

I know that we could enlist one guest for second look day. Is it appropriate to bring a parent? I have seen it both ways at other second look events.
I imagine some people will, but I personally wouldn't want my parent there. I definitely wouldn't call it inappropriate, though. To each their own.

E: oops, typo - would NOT

Last edited:
Good luck, I really hope it works out for you and the other waitlisters! Obviously, waitlist movement varies year to year. But I was curious why that is? Is it strictly due to the number of students who get accepted and decide to not attend UW? Or do the number of outright acceptances offered (directly after interview not counting acceptances offered from waitlist) vary year to year?
It is dependent on how many of those with multiple acceptances decide to go elsewhere. There's no way to predict variations from year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

People bring parents and significant others. It is definitely appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users

Wish you best of luck!
And most of all, take heart.

If it's anything like the last few years,
you shouldn't sweat too much just because you are not in top 10.
(I understand ppl's definition of "Decent" varies but if yours happen to be somewhere between # 11~20, we are probably on the same pg)

As Jennyfishy explained previously,
combination of folks choosing other schools over UW + quite a few ppl within the WL not taking the offer
can cause the acceptance offer extend very well into mid 20s +
(which is what happened last year)

Let's hope that's the case this year too!

Not that this will ease anyone's tension but I know at least 3 people that are IS and will probably not attend UWSMPH next year that are still holding spots right now :p

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the dress code is for 2nd look?

This is what the dress code was last year:
I think the dress code is officially "beach casual." Most of the guys wore either dark jeans or khakis and a polo or less formal button-up. So, no lounging clothes, but definitely less formal than business casual. You'll get more specifics about stuff like that as the day draws nearer.

They sent us an email last year outlining the dress code and other semantics, so I'm not sure if they are planning on doing that yet this week.

This is what the dress code was last year:

They sent us an email last year outlining the dress code and other semantics, so I'm not sure if they are planning on doing that yet this week.
Beach casual was the exact wording Becky used in the facebook group for this year as well. She said khakis and a polo would suffice for guys. For females, she mentioned dresses, skirts have been popular dress entire in years past.

Not that this will ease anyone's tension but I know at least 3 people that are IS and will probably not attend UWSMPH next year that are still holding spots right now :p
I know 2 myself
and
really really hope they are not the same ppl :whistle:

So. I compiled all the years since the 2009-2010 application cycle to find the average and std. error of the waitlisters that were offered.
Recognize that this is solely data compiled from SDN and obviously there could have been more people that were accepted off of the waitlist than the numbers I found.
The average number of waitlisters accepted was 14.4 +/- 1.36
(n=5)
For the sake of us that were waitlisted, hopefully that number was actually higher than simply the last numbers that had been posted on SDN in the last years.

Does anyone know what the dress code is for 2nd look?

Becky from admissions said the following on the fb page. Hope that helps!

"Hi all, those of you wondering what to wear for Saturday. Nice, comfortable type of clothes. Something you would wear at a nice resort or to meet your special someone's parents for the first time. Casual button downs, polo shirts, skirts, dresses and such. NO TIES or suit coats required."

Last edited:
On an unrelated note, when would be a good time to check out apartments in Madison? I was thinking maybe April is too early, but then I start thinking that maybe all the good affordable apartments will be gone by May. Or will cheaper places be posted online in May/June? Feeling stressed about the whole moving ordeal! Also, any advice on how to find a roommate? The FB page hasn't had a a lot of people asking about this, but maybe it's too early still?

Is it a bad idea to sign a lease for a 2 BR prior to finding a roommate?

On an unrelated note, when would be a good time to check out apartments in Madison? I was thinking maybe April is too early, but then I start thinking that maybe all the good affordable apartments will be gone by May. Or will cheaper places be posted online in May/June? Feeling stressed about the whole moving ordeal! Also, any advice on how to find a roommate? The FB page hasn't had a a lot of people asking about this, but maybe it's too early still?

Is it a bad idea to sign a lease for a 2 BR prior to finding a roommate?
Definitely not too early to sign a place. I signed in February prior to matriculating. Not saying that it needs to be done that early, but if you know you will be attending UW, there's really no benefit to waiting. Last year some people lined up tours over second look weekend. Might be a good idea if you aren't from the area and it would be a hassle to come back before moving in.

Posting on your Facebook page is going to be the best way to find roommates at this point. It wouldn't hurt to seek out roommates during second look day as well. I'm sure a good number of them are in the same boat!

So. I compiled all the years since the 2009-2010 application cycle to find the average and std. error of the waitlisters that were offered.
Recognize that this is solely data compiled from SDN and obviously there could have been more people that were accepted off of the waitlist than the numbers I found.
The average number of waitlisters accepted was 14.4 +/- 1.36
(n=5)
For the sake of us that were waitlisted, hopefully that number was actually higher than simply the last numbers that had been posted on SDN in the last years.
Ha, I admire the dedication. But you are going to drive yourself crazy!

Might seem like a weird question, but current students: how many students are to a cadaver in anatomy? And does anyone know how the new curriculum will work with anatomy--will we start earlier or still not have to start until after winter break? Thanks in advance!

Might seem like a weird question, but current students: how many students are to a cadaver in anatomy? And does anyone know how the new curriculum will work with anatomy--will we start earlier or still not have to start until after winter break? Thanks in advance!
For anatomy lab, you work in groups of 4-5 and your group does the actual dissecting one day per week. Your group will be partnered with another group of 4-5 students that are also dissecting the same cadaver, but on a different day of the week. On that day, the other group of dissectors will do the dissection, then you will come in when they are done and they will "teach" your group about the structures they dissected. You will therefore be in lab twice per week (1 day of dissection/teaching to the other group, 1 day of learning from the other group). So technically, during a single block, there are 9-10 people grouped with a single cadaver, but only 4-5 of you will be dissecting on any given day. Please note that I'm not sure if or how this will change with the new curriculum.

I'm not entirely sure about how anatomy will work with the new curriculum, but I have heard that instead of only having anatomy for 1 semester, you will have anatomy spread throughout your entire year-and-a-half of pre-clinicals. Perhaps someone else can confirm this for me.

Old curriculum had 2 teams of 4 per cadaver. 3 hours one day of the week one team of 4 dissects then presents to the other half of the team for an hour after. If your team isn't scheduled to do a dissection you want to see (opening the skull or something) you can go and watch, otherwise you don't have to sit through the monotony that is picking fat off of things but get to see the anatomy. New curriculum will have it earlier not right in August though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There's also a fourth year elective to redo anatomy. It's pretty great, and it's much more useful when you have clinical experience and interests. There are about 4 of you per cadaver all the time, so if you really like anatomy and don't get to perform the dissections as an M1, there's still another opportunity. Also, the number of people to cadavers really doesn't matter that much in the end.

There's also a fourth year elective to redo anatomy. It's pretty great, and it's much more useful when you have clinical experience and interests. There are about 4 of you per cadaver all the time, so if you really like anatomy and don't get to perform the dissections as an M1, there's still another opportunity. Also, the number of people to cadavers really doesn't matter that much in the end.
That's awesome. Filing this tidbit away for poss. Future use.

Awesome all, thanks for your help! 99.9% sure I'll be your classmate next year :)

Any other advice/comments/insider tips?

Has anyone gotten financial aid info yet?

So I had a question for current students about the last day of classes for the fall (December 15). My fiance (will be wife in two months :)) graduates on December 15. Being that it is the last day of classes should I expect exams on that day? Or by last day of classes is this the last week of lectures with final exams the week to follow? I know these questions may seem silly, but being that I've never attended med school before, I wasn't sure if we would just have an exam on the 15th for last block or how that would work. Also, would there anyway to take an exam a day earlier, or is this not possible?

So I had a question for current students about the last day of classes for the fall (December 15). My fiance (will be wife in two months :)) graduates on December 15. Being that it is the last day of classes should I expect exams on that day? Or by last day of classes is this the last week of lectures with final exams the week to follow? I know these questions may seem silly, but being that I've never attended med school before, I wasn't sure if we would just have an exam on the 15th for last block or how that would work. Also, would there anyway to take an exam a day earlier, or is this not possible?

If it says the 15th then that is when your last exam will be. They have scheduled exam make up days that everyone who missed the original exam has to follow. They are almost always after the original exam time not before, and they don't offer individual times. They haven't released the exam schedule or make up schedule yet I don't think.

Unfortunately made the difficult decision to withdraw, only issue is I have no clue how to do it. Does anyone else know if we just email them? I didn't see a spot on the portal to do so.

Unfortunately made the difficult decision to withdraw, only issue is I have no clue how to do it. Does anyone else know if we just email them? I didn't see a spot on the portal to do so.
Bless you.
And I think you withdraw by simply sending them an email.. I don't think you do it via the portal.
If I'm wrong, someone correct me!

Bless you.
And I think you withdraw by simply sending them an email.. I don't think you do it via the portal.
If I'm wrong, someone correct me!

Hope one of you gets the spot! Thanks, I'll just shoot them an email

Officially dropped Columbia, Pitts and Feinberg to join UW. I am looking forward to meeting many of you from sdn in real life. Cheers!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been able to set up their email account yet for UW?

Is anyone concerned at all about Step 1 being placed after the clinical phase in the curriculum transformation?

Is anyone concerned at all about Step 1 being placed after the clinical phase in the curriculum transformation?
I was a little bit until I learned that other schools that have done the same thing (ie move step to after some clinical work) have seen improvements in step scores. I think putting it after 2.5 years is also a good compromise for people to see their scores and realistically think about residency vs having it at the end of year 3 when you would be more pressed for time.

I think it's a really good change, and so do nearly all of the current med students I've talked to here at UW.

I was a little bit until I learned that other schools that have done the same thing (ie move step to after some clinical work) have seen improvements in step scores. I think putting it after 2.5 years is also a good compromise for people to see their scores and realistically think about residency vs having it at the end of year 3 when you would be more pressed for time.

I think it's a really good change, and so do nearly all of the current med students I've talked to here at UW.
+1. Not sure if Penn does it too, but a while back during a townhall meeting, it was brought up that Duke already does this on their condensed 1.5 curriculum, and they have something like one of the highest step 1 score averages in the country. It makes sense - a lot of what you'd otherwise be cramming and just memorizing out after your didactic years is actually relevant in your clinical years, making it a lot easier to retain those 800+ pages of FirstAid. More review time/less rote memorization = higher scores. There were actually 2nd year med students trying to get the school to allow students to do the same on the current curriculum, but that obviously didn't amount to anything :laugh:.

Last edited:
This thread has been awfully quiet lately. Will there be any waitlist movement? Looked at the last few years threads and there wasn't anything posted until the fourth both last year and two years ago. Maybe UW waits until the end of the week to start pulling from waitlist? Anyone know?

YEH If the waitlist could move, THATD BE GREAT.

This thread has been awfully quiet lately. Will there be any waitlist movement? Looked at the last few years threads and there wasn't anything posted until the fourth both last year and two years ago. Maybe UW waits until the end of the week to start pulling from waitlist? Anyone know?

Had a chance to chat w someone who's generally involved in these processes and seems like slight delay is expected because:
1. 4/30 was a non-business day -> the schools were told to wait til EOD Monday(5/2) for all the confirmation from the students.
2. they need to go through and make sure they are counting out the correct withdrawing applicants (so essentially getting the counts right)

I was told not to expect UW to know whether the waitlist will move or not until early next week.(wk of 5/9)
So not hearing anything this wk doesn't mean WL is not moving.
hope this helps some folks.
If the list moves, I expect to be one of the first batch of ppl to get an update so I'll keep you all posted.

one sentence summary: UW SHOULD know if the list will move next week.

Had a chance to chat w someone who's generally involved in these processes and seems like slight delay is expected because:
1. 4/30 was a non-business day -> the schools were told to wait til EOD Monday(5/2) for all the confirmation from the students.
2. they need to go through and make sure they are counting out the correct withdrawing applicants (so essentially getting the counts right)

I was told not to expect UW to know whether the waitlist will move or not until early next week.(wk of 5/9)
So not hearing anything this wk doesn't mean WL is not moving.
hope this helps some folks.
If the list moves, I expect to be one of the first batch of ppl to get an update so I'll keep you all posted.

one sentence summary: UW SHOULD know if the list will move next week.

Thanks for the update, I know of some people that are super anxious to hear! Wishing you luck!

Kinda echoing what @AutoFever said, but Becky emailed me and said that so far there has been absolutely no waitlist movement. This is probably due to the reasons @AutoFever listed above.

Kinda echoing what @AutoFever said, but Becky emailed me and said that so far there has been absolutely no waitlist movement. This is probably due to the reasons @AutoFever listed above.

I really hope Becky quoted you "absolutely no waitlist movement" just to avoid promising you(or anyone) anything.

I know they are generally very careful about that.

Do you mind sharing when Becky emailed you back?
(I talked to my person on Monday)
Thanks!

I really hope Becky quoted you "absolutely no waitlist movement" just to avoid promising you(or anyone) anything.

I know they are generally very careful about that.

Do you mind sharing when Becky emailed you back?
(I talked to my person on Monday)
Thanks!
Well, what she said was "we have had no waitlist movement."
She emailed me back yesterday afternoon.
I really hope they are just taking their time to compile everything so that they can send out a bunch of offers next week...

Well, what she said was "we have had no waitlist movement."
She emailed me back yesterday afternoon.
I really hope they are just taking their time to compile everything so that they can send out a bunch of offers next week...

Let's hope so. Bunch would indeed be helpful. Would like to see this post revive w some good news