2015-2016 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how strict they are with their writing intensive requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean they might waive it or that I could worry about it at a later stage.
Later stage. Chances are none of us are getting in, so who cares at this point lol

Can't decide if I should apply here. Another instance of being above the 10th percentile but below the median lol.

Are there any current MS at Cornell that can give insight about what the area is like, how much they like the collegiality, atmosphere of the school? I'm from the Midwest and I've never been to NY.

Is anyone else here interested in the Music and Medicine program, or any current/past students able to comment on it? It looks really neat. I've been a flutist for ten years, and though I didn't major in music have played in college ensembles. Is it really gung-ho or more laid-back?

Is anyone else here interested in the Music and Medicine program, or any current/past students able to comment on it? It looks really neat. I've been a flutist for ten years, and though I didn't major in music have played in college ensembles. Is it really gung-ho or more laid-back?
Can you elaborate a little on what it is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't decide if I should apply here. Another instance of being above the 10th percentile but below the median lol.
I was below the 10th percent line.
I think you just have to know what the school is looking for, and hope they see that it matches up with who you are.

Reactions: 2 users
I was below the 10th percent line.
I think you just have to know what the school is looking for, and hope they see that it matches up with who you are.
So what's WCMC looking for then? :shifty:

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know how strict they are with their writing intensive requirements?
I emailed them long time ago about this question, and following is the reply.
" A writing intensive class may meet your school's writing requirement or be listed in the catalog as a writing intensive course. A general definition of writing intensive is a course with writing as a focus and requiring approximately 10-14 pages of submitted material. If your courses meet these criteria, we’ll accept them."

This is a school I had not really considered in the past but I am very excited to apply here!

Only recently added WCMC to the list and I can't believe it's taken me so long. GPA is above 10%ile but below median, but MCAT is just below 90%ile so hopefully this wannabe orthopod has a chance.

Secondary received this morning. All prompts are limited to 200 words.

1. If you are not attending college during the coming academic year, what are your plans?
2. Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.
3. Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it.

There is also a prompt for MD-PhD applicants which asks for research mentors you may be interested in working with.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received this morning. All prompts are limited to 200 words.

1. If you are not attending college during the coming academic year, what are your plans?
2. Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College.
3. Please describe a challenge you faced and how you addressed it.

There is also a prompt for MD-PhD applicants which asks for research mentors you may be interested in working with.

confirmed

I have a feeling schools process applications by last name because I've received only one secondary out of a crap ton of schools! Haha! Cornell being one, but I've not heard a thing :p

I have a feeling schools process applications by last name because I've received only one secondary out of a crap ton of schools! Haha! Cornell being one, but I've not heard a thing :p

Most schools don't give out their secondaries until later in July, so I wouldn't worry. Cornell and a few others are known for getting them out really early

Still not received... is there any particular reason why? Do you need your references fully submitted before they send out the secondary?

Do those of you who got the secondary mind sharing your stats please?

Do those of you who got the secondary mind sharing your stats please?

I think I posted somewhere in this thread that I'm above the 10th percentile but below the median for both gpa and MCAT. This is a reach for me so I'm sure it has nothing to do with stats!

I'm still missing two letters in AMCAS, as well.

I really think it's random, guys. Don't stress!

FWIW I don't have a secondary yet with LizzyM>77

I think I posted somewhere in this thread that I'm above the 10th percentile but below the median for both gpa and MCAT. This is a reach for me so I'm sure it has nothing to do with stats!

I'm still missing two letters in AMCAS, as well.

I really think it's random, guys. Don't stress!

Haha thank y'all. I guess I will wait in comfort.

Last name in the middle of the alphabet. 3.69 cGPA, 3.61 sGPA. 36 MCAT (11PS/12VR/13BS). Verified 6/11.

I also think it's random. Just got the secondary but as someone has already said, Cornell is one of the few that send it out pretty early. Don't stress out and best of luck everyone!

Got mine! It's definitely shorter than some others.... Georgetown has 3 essays, one of which is 1-2 pages!

Affiliation (possibly stupid) Question: Does anyone know if we need to add our parents name regardless of affiliation or only if they are faculty/ alumni?

Affiliation (possibly stupid) Question: Does anyone know if we need to add our parents name regardless of affiliation or only if they are faculty/ alumni?

Yeah I had the same question. Anyone know?

Scratch my previous comment. Just got a secondary about 2 hours ago :p

Just about to submit.

Received the secondary.
The 4th prompt is only for MD/PHD applicants right? I'm doing regular MD so I can just leave it blank? o.o

Received the secondary.
The 4th prompt is only for MD/PHD applicants right? I'm doing regular MD so I can just leave it blank? o.o

Correct! You don't need to do the fourth prompt if you're not an MD/PhD applicant.

anyone else find that paragraph breaks are deleted when you type in their box?! Is there anyway to insert paragraph breaks?

Does it matter if we hold off on this secondary since it's not rolling?

Does it matter if we hold off on this secondary since it's not rolling?

I pre-wrote and still taking my time in submitting. I would rather submit the best essays I can than do it early, especially since I don't have my committee letter in yet, and as you said, they're non-rolling.

Wow that was fast... was hoping to have one more look over of my secondary after paying but it looks like it took me all the way through submission...

Did anyone have this show up after submitting and logging back in? Your application is incomplete. You have not submitted a secondary application and we have not received your letters of evaluation.