2015-2016 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow that was fast... was hoping to have one more look over of my secondary after paying but it looks like it took me all the way through submission...

Did anyone have this show up after submitting and logging back in? Your application is incomplete. You have not submitted a secondary application and we have not received your letters of evaluation.
Yes that's showing up for me as well. Submitted yesterday.. so I'm guessing they're taking time to update? I never got a confirmation email either, did you?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@noflag nope no confirmation!

No submission confirmation email here either. The instructions page also says that once we pay the secondary fee, we should receive "confirmation of Paypal payment from [email protected] right away." Did you get that?

This is also a tiny detail, but after I "saved" aka submitted the secondary, my email address was not listed on my submitted application even though I am 100% sure I had it entered while I was filling it out. Anyone have that issue?
 
No submission confirmation email here either. The instructions page also says that once we pay the secondary fee, we should receive "confirmation of Paypal payment from [email protected] right away." Did you get that?

This is also a tiny detail, but after I "saved" aka submitted the secondary, my email address was not listed on my submitted application even though I am 100% sure I had it entered while I was filling it out. Anyone have that issue?

I noticed the email thing too! so weird....

Also, I did not pay through paypal and did not receive any sort of confirmation on payment or submission
 
I noticed the email thing too! so weird....

Also, I did not pay through paypal and did not receive any sort of confirmation on payment or submission

Whew okay! I guess it's some sort of glitch in the submission system.

I didn't pay through Paypal either, but glad to hear we're all in the same boat. Thanks for your response 😀
 
For some reason, both of the links in the email for the secondary aren't working correctly for me... Did anyone else encounter this problem?
 
Wow that was fast... was hoping to have one more look over of my secondary after paying but it looks like it took me all the way through submission...

Did anyone have this show up after submitting and logging back in? Your application is incomplete. You have not submitted a secondary application and we have not received your letters of evaluation.

+1. Also received "Your application is incomplete" upon login after submitting/ paying. No confirmation either. As other people have said, they must be slow to update...
 
To anyone who completed their secondary:

Did the Cornell email confirmation say "We have the pleasure of informing you that your application for admission to the 2015 entering class at Weill Cornell is complete."

I'm wondering if Cornell mistakenly did not update their message, or if I am somehow filed for the wrong year. I'm assuming it's the former.

Thanks in advance!
 
To anyone who completed their secondary:

Did the Cornell email confirmation say "We have the pleasure of informing you that your application for admission to the 2015 entering class at Weill Cornell is complete."

I'm wondering if Cornell mistakenly did not update their message, or if I am somehow filed for the wrong year. I'm assuming it's the former.

Thanks in advance!
got the same email
 
No submission confirmation email here either. The instructions page also says that once we pay the secondary fee, we should receive "confirmation of Paypal payment from [email protected] right away." Did you get that?

This is also a tiny detail, but after I "saved" aka submitted the secondary, my email address was not listed on my submitted application even though I am 100% sure I had it entered while I was filling it out. Anyone have that issue?
Yeah my email wasn't showing up and I tried like 3 times to get it to show up, didn't work so I was like blaaaah, and submitted anyway 🙄
 
So since they ask for only 3 letter writer names on the secondary, if I am going to be sending them say like 4 or 5, should I only list the 3 on the secondary that I deem most important?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For some reason, both of the links in the email for the secondary aren't working correctly for me... Did anyone else encounter this problem?
Yeah, I was able to get onto the secondary last week but just now I went to open it up to submit it and I can't open either of the links. I will probably send them an email to se what's going on
 
Anyone having problems getting paragraphs in the short answers to have a space in between? My 2 paragraphs are looking like 1 big one 🙁
maybe try soft returns? i.e., use Shift+Enter instead of just Enter.
 
Nope, no dice. Did you have this problem too? Or anyone else for that matter?
no secondary here yet...not verified.
what about <p> before the paragraph and </p> after it? Both go on their own separate line; it's HTML code.
 
This secondary is not rolling? By when should we try and submit our secondary then- still within two weeks of receiving the secondary invitation? Thanks!

No the school itself is non-rolling so they only release decisions after the deadline when they have everyone's application materials. In general it's a good idea to submit within two weeks regardless.
 
Nope, no dice. Did you have this problem too? Or anyone else for that matter?

I went through previous years' threads and they all had the same problem but everyone seemed to just submit without paragraph breaks , and that's how I did mine. Don't think it'll be a deal breaker for my app either way haha :shrug:
 
For those who haven't submitted their secondaries yet, is there a question on it about applying to any med schools in the past?
 
Cornell is the prettiest of all the NYC med schools 😀. Also their global health opps are amazing. So get excited.
 
Submitted my secondary and my app is now confirmed to be complete! Excited to wait 😛
 
I'm also very swamped right now. How important is the two week turn around. My application is going to be held up because my University is slow with giving out committee letters... so if schools are not going to look at my application until they get my letter packet (probably around mid august), then is there a point to getting the secondary in so quickly?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For some reason, both of the links in the email for the secondary aren't working correctly for me... Did anyone else encounter this problem?

Yeah, I was able to get onto the secondary last week but just now I went to open it up to submit it and I can't open either of the links. I will probably send them an email to se what's going on
Any luck with this? I'm having the same problem
Edit: Wasn't working on my school WiFi, but it worked at home so I guess it's just a server issue on my end or something. I checked last year's thread and some people mentioned a similar problem with school internet connections.
 
Last edited:
After submitting, I'm getting the following message when logging in "Your application is incomplete. You have not submitted a secondary application and we have not received your letters of evaluation."

I didn't get a confirmation email either. Anyone else?
 
After submitting, I'm getting the following message when logging in "Your application is incomplete. You have not submitted a secondary application and we have not received your letters of evaluation."

I didn't get a confirmation email either. Anyone else?
That's what everyone got after submitting I believe. Eventually u will receive a confirmation email that u are complete and the notification there will change when u sign in. It was 3 days later for me.
 
That's what everyone got after submitting I believe. Eventually u will receive a confirmation email that u are complete and the notification there will change when u sign in. It was 3 days later for me.

Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for that email 🙂
 
I'm from Cali with a 3.73 cum/3.83 science and new MCAT around 90% percentile. Should I bother applying?
 
I'm from Cali with a 3.73 cum/3.83 science and new MCAT around 90% percentile. Should I bother applying?
Thinking of trying my chances here. Would I be competitive? (Stats in MDapps link)
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=30908
You guys are both fine. I got in with 3.50 cum/3.38 science and a (balanced) 31 MCAT. Your application is much more than your numbers !
What are are some really awesome things about Cornell?
As @Banco above said, the global health opportunities (Weill Cornell has associated hospitals everywhere, from Argentina, to France, to Japan and China, to places in Africa, and many more, if global health is your thing), research opportunities (MSKCC/Rockefeller/Hospital for Special Surgery - and believe me, there are some really cool projects going on, plus you can collaborate with some other associated labs elsewhere if that's your thing, e.g. nanotechnology with Weill Cornell's associates in Houston, TX) , the service opportunities (programs such as LEAP, WCCC-Weill Cornell Community Clinic, various hospitals you can do rotations at, one of the most diverse patient populations on Earth), being in NYC (and a really nice part, to top it off!) If you're into surgery, there's PreOp, a program where you can start getting experience in the OR (at least that's what it seems to me is what it is) from your first year. If you're into working with non-English speaking populations, there's a program that pairs you up with a patient whose primarily language is not English (their primary language is one you indicate you'd like to help with).
 
You guys are both fine. I got in with 3.50 cum/3.38 science and a (balanced) 31 MCAT. Your application is much more than your numbers !

As @Banco above said, the global health opportunities (Weill Cornell has associated hospitals everywhere, from Argentina, to France, to Japan and China, to places in Africa, and many more, if global health is your thing), research opportunities (MSKCC/Rockefeller/Hospital for Special Surgery - and believe me, there are some really cool projects going on, plus you can collaborate with some other associated labs elsewhere if that's your thing, e.g. nanotechnology with Weill Cornell's associates in Houston, TX) , the service opportunities (programs such as LEAP, WCCC-Weill Cornell Community Clinic, various hospitals you can do rotations at, one of the most diverse patient populations on Earth), being in NYC (and a really nice part, to top it off!) If you're into surgery, there's PreOp, a program where you can start getting experience in the OR (at least that's what it seems to me is what it is) from your first year. If you're into working with non-English speaking populations, there's a program that pairs you up with a patient whose primarily language is not English (their primary language is one you indicate you'd like to help with).

Did anyone tell you that you are a gem?
 
If you're into working with non-English speaking populations, there's a program that pairs you up with a patient whose primarily language is not English (their primary language is one you indicate you'd like to help with).

What is the name of this program?
 
What is the name of this program?
A quick Google search didn't give anything, but the name is COC-NES(Continuity of Care- Non-English Speakers)
Basically, a subset of (part of?) LEAP, you get paired with a patient whose primary language is not English, and you keep in periodic contact with them when they need to go to their periodic checkup or medical what-have-you.
It's just something optional you can do if you're interested, though, so don't make a big note of it on your secondaries/why Cornell.

I only heard of it through an email I got about it, so perhaps it's still relatively new. 🙂
Still, seems like a neat program if you are interested in working with non-English speaking patients or want that exposure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted on July 21st. Haven't gotten a confirmation email, so checked the status, saying "Your application to the MDPhD Program is incomplete. Please call the MDPhD Office (212-746-6023) if you have any questions."
Does anyone have the same status?
 
Just submitted secondary! Thank you WCMC for having reasonable 200-word limits to your essays!
 
Submitted on July 21st. Haven't gotten a confirmation email, so checked the status, saying "Your application to the MDPhD Program is incomplete. Please call the MDPhD Office (212-746-6023) if you have any questions."
Does anyone have the same status?
I had the same issue two weeks ago, called them and they confirmed it was complete, changed the status, and sent me a completion email.
 
Just submitted secondary! Thank you WCMC for having reasonable 200-word limits to your essays!

When you guys say complete, do you mean that your letters of rec are also in or just that you submitted the secondary? I'm still waiting on my committee for my letters 🙁