2015-2016 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got word that Silverman will be releasing waitlist tiers soon, sometime around second look. It will be by phone. Good luck!

I would imagine after Second Look. I can't imagine that Admissions will have the time to field the phone calls before Second Look, which is Thursday/Friday of next week (Apr. 7/8). I could be wrong, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Heard from a current student who's close to Silverman. It will definitely be after second look because people will start withdrawing then and Silverman also asks you if you'd like to stay on the WL when he calls. Unsure if everybody gets a call, though, just putting that out there!!

Has anyone received a financial aid package notification the mail yet? According to last year's thread the first person got their notification on 3/30

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does Yale give merit scholarships?

Does Yale give merit scholarships?

From what I know, no. Yale, as an institution, across its various schools generally only gives need-based aid. Related to this, I've heard that the med school does not "match" aid since all aid is need-based.

Man, this school is generous with aid........

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish, but I'll be in Chicago for the rest of the week.
got it. I have to work so I'll only get there in time for the saturday activities. OMCA paid for transportation so I figured why not.
And @BR2015 they're moving students to a hotel so it's not that big a deal. just don't live in harkness if you end up going to yale lol. I left Dorm living in undergrad.

got it. I have to work so I'll only get there in time for the saturday activities. OMCA paid for transportation so I figured why not.
And @BR2015 they're moving students to a hotel so it's not that big a deal. just don't live in harkness if you end up going to yale lol. I left Dorm living in undergrad.
Let me know how it is (how the prospective/current students are, etc).

I am sure you all know this but shout out to Dr. Richard Silverman for being one of the nicest and genuine deans of admissions I have ever met.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys,

Didn't know how else to get out this message to those of you on campus right now besides posting it here, but I just wanted to remind everyone who is unfamiliar with New Haven to please exercise some caution at night. I do not think of New Haven as an unsafe city at all and I've been here for a few years, but robberies/muggings do happen on/near campus (someone was robbed last night). When you're walking around at night don't walk alone and don't have headphones on or your cell phone out -- just common sense stuff. I wouldn't want anyone's second look to be ruined by an experience that most of us never have!

We made this, y'all enjoy!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

Didn't know how else to get out this message to those of you on campus right now besides posting it here, but I just wanted to remind everyone who is unfamiliar with New Haven to please exercise some caution at night. I do not think of New Haven as an unsafe city at all and I've been here for a few years, but robberies/muggings do happen on/near campus (someone was robbed last night). When you're walking around at night don't walk alone and don't have headphones on or your cell phone out -- just common sense stuff. I wouldn't want anyone's second look to be ruined by an experience that most of us never have!

Thank you.

Anyone want to share their second look weekend experience?

Also did some people still not receive their financial aid packages?

Has anyone on the WL gotten a call from Dr. Silverman? Not that I'm waiting by my phone or anything... :)

Anyone want to share their second look weekend experience?
I had a pretty great experience. The couple of days were full of activities to show us YSM's curriculum, student body, research activities, faculty involvement and New Haven in general The flexibility offered by the new curriculum is pretty great and the extended clerkship period is great to finish up extra research and do global health/other activities. The student body is very accomplished, easy-going and the current students seem happy with their decisions. We had round-table discussions with current faculty where they spoke about the thesis and their current projects. I actually was surprised by New Haven having heard before that it is, in non-PC terms, pretty crappy. The area around the university is downtown New haven and there are many great restaurants, food carts, museums, libraries, theatres etc. here and the Yale campus is absolutely gorgeous. Obviously, this nicer part of New Haven is not expansive like cities like NYC/Chicago would have and stops around 5-7 blocks away from campus but I'm pretty satisfied by the city in general and it has its own charm. If you have any specific questions PM me!

Reactions: 3 users
I made a very crude map of New Haven/Yale for those of you that are trying to get a better sense of the city/campus. I hope this is helpful! If anyone has specific questions about the city, let me know.

Blue transparent area = Yale University's "campus" (the School of Nursing in Orange/West Campus not pictured)

Red
outline = areas in which most graduate students live (most YSM students live within a block or two of the med school campus -- the towers on York and George are very popular though pricey; some live in East Rock which is about a 30-40 minute walk/7-10 minute-ish drive - the Yale shuttle also has some stops there; some live in Wooster Square, which is similarly about a 30-40 minute walk/7-10 minute drive from YSM and there are some Yale shuttle stops)

Yellow
outline = what is considered "downtown" New Haven

Green
outline = areas in which most undergraduates live, with something like 85% actually living on campus I believe

Pink
transparent area = the School of Medicine/Yale-New Haven Hospital

Orange
transparent area = areas in which I would NOT recommend living (due to safety/distance reasons)

ky6ZQ1m.jpg

Has anyone on the WL gotten a call from Dr. Silverman? Not that I'm waiting by my phone or anything... :)
No call here, I also have been keeping my phone on all day hoping for that call!

No call here, I also have been keeping my phone on all day hoping for that call!
Calls should not be expected until last week of April, and only then to people who are high on the WL. Those lower should expect it later throughout May/June.

Source: prior WL accepted people

I made a very crude map of New Haven/Yale for those of you that are trying to get a better sense of the city/campus. I hope this is helpful! If anyone has specific questions about the city, let me know.

Blue transparent area = Yale University's "campus" (the School of Nursing in Orange/West Campus not pictured)

Red
outline = areas in which most graduate students live (most YSM students live within a block or two of the med school campus -- the towers on York and George are very popular though pricey; some live in East Rock which is about a 30-40 minute walk/7-10 minute-ish drive - the Yale shuttle also has some stops there; some live in Wooster Square, which is similarly about a 30-40 minute walk/7-10 minute drive from YSM and there are some Yale shuttle stops)

Yellow
outline = what is considered "downtown" New Haven

Green
outline = areas in which most undergraduates live, with something like 85% actually living on campus I believe

Pink
transparent area = the School of Medicine/Yale-New Haven Hospital

Orange
transparent area = areas in which I would NOT recommend living (due to safety/distance reasons)

ky6ZQ1m.jpg
Couple of critiques from a CT native on an overall good map:
1. Note that the blocks between Chapel and N/S Frontage are not really campus but do contain shops/houses that are of interest to students
2. 95% of undergrads are on campus, living in the residential colleges, aka luxury palaces. Most of "central campus" is the colleges
3. The orange area is way way too big...basically tells people to stay on campus. This is convenient but too limiting. To recommend Wooster but not 9th Sq/Lower State (great apts there) or upper parts of the Hill (cheap houses) doesn't make sense. Similarly, the Yale-owned Mansfield/Berkeley apts above the Whale are cut off by the orange. Totally reasonable distance and very safe. The western border also needs to go out; plenty of good cribs on Edgewood and West Chapel beyond Dwight.
4. I will never understand why East Rock is so popular. Ridiculously far and inconvenient. Houses are not as cute as people rave. In any case, East Rock is barely on the map. You're basically only showing Prospect Hill. It's much northeast in the orange area

Calls should not be expected until last week of April, and only then to people who are high on the WL. Those lower should expect it later throughout May/June.

Source: prior WL accepted people

So this overrides what you heard earlier that Silverman would be releasing waitlist tiers sometime around second look?

Couple of critiques from a CT native on an overall good map:
1. Note that the blocks between Chapel and N/S Frontage are not really campus but do contain shops/houses that are of interest to students
2. 95% of undergrads are on campus, living in the residential colleges, aka luxury palaces. Most of "central campus" is the colleges
3. The orange area is way way too big...basically tells people to stay on campus. This is convenient but too limiting. To recommend Wooster but not 9th Sq/Lower State (great apts there) or upper parts of the Hill (cheap houses) doesn't make sense. Similarly, the Yale-owned Mansfield/Berkeley apts above the Whale are cut off by the orange. Totally reasonable distance and very safe. The western border also needs to go out; plenty of good cribs on Edgewood and West Chapel beyond Dwight.
4. I will never understand why East Rock is so popular. Ridiculously far and inconvenient. Houses are not as cute as people rave. In any case, East Rock is barely on the map. You're basically only showing Prospect Hill. It's much northeast in the orange area

Hey there, thanks for adding to this. As someone who is currently here, I just wanted to make something very crude to help current applicants. I think overall you make good points, but I have a few additions.

1. Yale doesn't exactly have a centralized campus, so educational buildings can be peppered throughout the city. The blocks between Chapel and N/S Frontage do contain some Yale buildings, though you're right that they are primarily shops/apartments.
2. This is sort of irrelevant but from what I've been told the number is closer to 85%. It's totally true that most of what constitutes Yale's campus is the undergraduate colleges themselves, which are beautiful but inaccessible to graduate students :( unless an undergrad lets you in.
3. I totally disagree here. I picked areas that are safe AND, in the case that someone doesn't have a car, accessible via the Yale shuttle. There are some great apartments in 9th square but the Yale shuttle doesn't conveniently run there (there are also a lot of *seemingly* great apartments in the 9th square with terrible management -- if anyone has specific questions about various property management companies please message me!). I would not recommend living in the Hill, unless you're on N Frontage or maybe Howard. The orange area is not an absolute boundary, so let's just pretend it's extended about a block in each direction. I would also not live behind the Whale or near Mansfield. Nighttime muggings actually tend happen most often around there. For similar safety and distance reasons, I personally would not live much beyond Dwight (the shuttle doesn't run there). When it's snowing and cold, it is not going to be fun to have a 20-30 minute walk in areas that might not get the same salting/plowing as downtown does.
4. East Rock is definitely more popular with the students that have families/cars/pets because you can have a yard and you're near a park. I chose to show the areas of East Rock that are served by the Yale Shuttle. I did, however, definitely cut if off a little prematurely (my bad! I made the map quickly). The orange area/map should go about as north as Willow St and as east as Foster/Nicoll.

Last edited:
So this overrides what you heard earlier that Silverman would be releasing waitlist tiers sometime around second look?
No, it comes from the same person. I'm not holding out hope for much to happen any time soon. Just being the messenger.

@boolaboola2014 Good call about the muggings. That area really needs more streetlights. Wouldn't really recommend living there anyway due to distance, was just pointing out that the orange area was too big. Also my uncle's lived in the 9th Sq since forever so I'm biased hahahaha :p It's not hard to get to College St for the shuttle from that area

In any case, conversations are great! Hope people find this stuff useful when housing comes around... :thumbup:

Not from CT.
Just curious what the laws are in terms of the ability to carry non-lethal self-defense devices (pepper spray, etc.) in the CT and on campus.
Not actually going carry. I'll drop my bag and run before the mugger finishes his sentence.
Aint no body got time to get stabbed

Not from CT.
Just curious what the laws are in terms of the ability to carry non-lethal self-defense devices (pepper spray, etc.) in the CT and on campus.
Not actually going carry. I'll drop my bag and run before the mugger finishes his sentence.

I'm not sure what the laws/policies are, but I can't imagine you'd get in too much trouble for something like pepper spray. When I first started here, I would occasionally carry some in my bag (it was purchased in another eastern state). Glad you know that if anyone approaches you with a gun or a knife to just give them your bag. It's so not worth it. That all being said, as long as you are aware of your surroundings, it's *way* more likely that your bike will get stolen than you will get mugged.

Not from CT.

Pretty sure you can carry pepper spray or non-lethal self defense items without a permit (source: new haven/yale police). But it is always a good idea to check with local law enforcement yourself before attempting to carry anything anywhere.

Withdrew my acceptance! Best of luck to those on the waiting list :)

Reactions: 2 users
I heard there was record turnout for second look this year! I hope there's still some wait list movement...

I heard there was record turnout for second look this year! I hope there's still some wait list movement...
I hope so too! Did the admissions folks at second look say anything in particular about this cycle compared to previous?

Last edited:
I wasn't there so I'm not sure, but would also be interested to hear about it.
I'm not sure about admissions, but the attendance numbers were shared with MSC and mentioned to current students. I would suspect that a current student might have mentioned it to prospective students, but I wasn't at all the events.

Called office a couple weeks ago asking when we would find out about our Tier info and they said early May but wouldn't commit to a date because then "all the forums will hear about it and then people will freak out if we don't end up calling on that day" hahaha ;)

Reactions: 6 users