2016-2017 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I interviewed there in early December, they said they do accept updates but the Dean didn't seem like they would make a huge difference. It was like a "sure you can send them if you want" kind of vibe. Though I can't imagine it hurts!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm. I got the vibe that they really liked updates/LOIs from my interview day.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is one of you trying to sabotage the competition's chances? Lol

Lol! No I'm being honest! They said they created a new email address this year just for interviewed students to send in updates or LOIs. I feel like if they weren't that keen on them, they wouldn't have made a point of mentioning that and handing out the address.

Got a II this morning, was complete 9/1, IS, scheduled for 1/27/17. Does this late of an interview mean waitlist most likely? Thank you!

Last edited:
Yeah, the Dean mentioned the e-mail address for interviewed students, maybe she just happened to gloss over LOI/updates at my interview so I thought it wasn't a big deal to them. I still would update them if you think you should!! Baylor is too important to not help yourself in any way you can.

Would you recommend sending letters of INTENT at this point, or simply interest ones?

Reactions: 1 user
Would you recommend sending letters of INTENT at this point, or simply interest ones?
I don't think any of us are qualified to answer that with confidence, but if Baylor truly is your first choice and you'd definitely go there then I'd say it in the letter. (Only if you've interviewed, though)

Last edited:
One of those ubiquitous U.S. News and W.R. lists, which ranks BCM number 1 in lowest all-in costs among private medical schools:

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...29/10-most-affordable-private-medical-schools

But I'll kick that up a notch as Emeril says-- compare all-in costs for BCM to your in-state PUBLIC medical school(s).

As an aside, as a college academic myself, I generally find the assessments of U.S. News and W.R. (with respect to rankings of medical schools, and schools generally) to be permeated with questionable assumptions about criteria. Much of it is admission director feedback which can be based on rank hearsay and sometimes dated reputations...just sayin'. Food for ruminations.
:)

Last edited:
about your approaching BCM interview...

Good luck with your interview at BCM! Just be aware that they might seem not to be out to impress anybody...some even find them to be a bit matter-of-fact about it all.

But look past that...esprit de corp/sense of teamwork is great (little "gunner" atmosphere), and the faculty like to teach. The Texas Medical Center is the largest and among the best on Earth. And the net all-in cost is likely the lowest anywhere. And the results are impressive-- BCM recently led the nation in step 1 average, and is always close (in the top handful)...and that results in quite impressive residency match lists.

What's not to like?! :luck: :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When do y'all think more acceptances might go out? I'm losing hope :(

Folks, spots are surely WAY AWAY from being filled...they will be making offers well into May! It seems to be a VERY methodical process. One poster here (now an MS2 at BCM I believe) felt that they were trying to assemble the best class possible overall, so they want to continually look and gradually make offers to the best fits.

As for update letters, it is pretty early for those, but hold that thought. Especially when you have some new accolade post-interview to let them know about, do that in an "I love BCM" update letter. I kid you not-- when they called to offer our daughter (OOS) a spot AND a nice scholarship in early May, 2012, the doctor calling from Admissions said that he was reading her (update) letter as he dialed...that was her second letter post-interview (end of February interview...one of the very last).

Keep your chins up, folks...the wait is surely a xxxxx, but you will get through it. And for the lucky ones, it does not get any better! :)

Did anybody else that got accepted already for 2017 send in a "I love BCM" letter?

And btw... I know they like to call us via phone, but my cell phone connection at work is really spotty (Like 85% of the time I don't have enough signal to send a short text message). Do they send out an email in addition to the phone call?

Did anybody else that got accepted already for 2017 send in a "I love BCM" letter?

And btw... I know they like to call us via phone, but my cell phone connection at work is really spotty (Like 85% of the time I don't have enough signal to send a short text message). Do they send out an email in addition to the phone call?
The email comes like two to three days after the call.

I have seen a lot of talk about update letters. Just wanted you guys to know that I sent an update letter last year, well after Christmas, and did eventually get in. I am currently an MS1 at Baylor, we just finished our first semester, so if you guys have questions feel free to message me. It is a long process, but you guys will make it.

I have seen a lot of talk about update letters. Just wanted you guys to know that I sent an update letter last year, well after Christmas, and did eventually get in. I am currently an MS1 at Baylor, we just finished our first semester, so if you guys have questions feel free to message me. It is a long process, but you guys will make it.
Thanks! Was that a pre- or post-interview update?

Long time lurker here. I missed a call from BCM earlier this month, no voicemail. They called again the next day to let me know I'd been accepted. My interview was in late October. As far as updates are concerned, they encouraged sending them in- as long as it's something substantive. One of the deans specifically stated that they would not be interested in how many volunteer hours you'd gotten since the interview but that they would want to know if you got a paper published or something like that. I don't recall what/if anything was said about LOIs. It's not something I'd do personally but it seems like a lot of people think it helps.

Anybody got a letter after an acceptance call?

Congrats on the acceptances!! To those of you still waiting, no worries. Many acceptances come out in the spring (That was when I heard as well :)). If you have any questions about BCM, feel free to PM me. I'm a current MS4. Best of luck in the rest of the cycle!

Congrats on the acceptances!! To those of you still waiting, no worries. Many acceptances come out in the spring (That was when I heard as well :)). If you have any questions about BCM, feel free to PM me. I'm a current MS4. Best of luck in the rest of the cycle!

Hey, after creeping on your posts I saw that you got into UTSW as well What made you decide to go with Baylor?

Hey, after creeping on your posts I saw that you got into UTSW as well What made you decide to go with Baylor?

First off, I don't think you can go wrong between the two. At the time I matriculated, BCM was the only school with a 1.5 year preclinical curriculum. The flexibility of this system won me over and has served me well throughout my time here. Other schools have caught on to the effectiveness of this curriculum, so you could now take advantage of it at UTSW and other Texas schools as well. I'm not sure how they do the 1.5 curriculum at other schools, but one thing I like about BCM is that we do USMLE STEP 1 pretty late (usually latter half of year 3), which I believe is one of the reasons we have the highest scores. Apart from the curriculum, the Texas Medical Center is a wonderful place to train. I didn't really realize that when I was applying, but as a clinical student I really appreciate being in a place where you can find a mentor in literally anything you're interested in.

At the end of the day, all of the Texas schools will get you where you want to be. When deciding, I would put a strong emphasis on location of the school or where you want to live for the next four years. I really like Houston, so that was another draw for me.

Do you know when the last day of interviews is for BCM?

Baylor is receptive to pre II updates, correct? and if so, should just email it to admissions ?

Baylor is receptive to pre II updates, correct? and if so, should just email it to admissions ?
I did an update to admissions, and I got back a sort of generic email on like information about the school, etc. etc. I think it wouldn't harm you at all but you probably won't get like a huge detailed reply

what's the status on the fb group for accepted students?

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewing in January !!! Please tell me what to expect. Being wait listed in three schools; this is my third years applying. Please help!

Got an II today!!!! This is my dream school, I'm still in absolute shock.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted just now TTT.TTT
Interviewed 9/30

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Looks like all interview spots are full. II today. Feb 3rd, which is the last date.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if the interviews are open file (interviewers can see your MCAT score/GPA) in terms of academics?

Does anyone know if the interviews are open file (interviewers can see your MCAT score/GPA) in terms of academics?
I think they have everything except Mcat and gpa.
In fact, I've heard that the whole admissions committee is blinded to mcat and gpa during the final decision making/ranking of applicants process.

Last edited:
In fact, I've heard that the whole admissions committee is blinded to mcat and gpa during the final decision making/ranking of applicants process.
What?! That doesn't make any sense
Also what separates people who interviewed early and are accepted now versus in march?

Wow, really? What source did you hear this from, if you don't mind? I'm just surprised by that because it implies the final decisions are utterly based on non-numeric metrics.

Last edited: