2016-2017 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Does Baylor send out rejections during interview season or nah?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Agree with mdhopeful just above...very few actually seem to get a rejection letter per se...not sure why BCM's practice is primarily benign neglect.

Over half of those who actually interview do not get offers (even though all who interview are surely qualified by measured aptitude/Lizzie M scores), so your demeanor in your 2 interviews is critical (perception becomes reality...do you fit the BCM student profile?).

https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/admissions/admissions-process

Posted middle of last June by one, and echoed by a few:

The 2016 medical school class is now complete, and with deep regret we were unable to offer you a position. We appreciated the opportunity to review your application, to have you here for an interview, and to discover your aspirations.

We trust that, if you have not already obtained admission to medical school, you will realize your goals in the future. Thank you for your interest in Baylor College of Medicine, and we wish you success in your career.

Sincerely,

Karen E. Johnson, M.D.
Associate Dean
Office of Medical School Admissions
Baylor College of Medicine

Jesus G. Vallejo, M.D.
Assistant Dean

Are interviews still being given out? If I was already complete on the first day, am I pretty much dead in the water by now?

upload_2016-10-24_15-52-51.png

Agree with mdhopeful just above...very few actually seem to get a rejection letter per se...not sure why BCM's practice is primarily benign neglect.

Over half of those who actually interview do not get offers (even though all who interview are surely qualified by measured aptitude/Lizzie M scores), so your demeanor in your 2 interviews is critical (perception becomes reality...do you fit the BCM student profile?).

https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/medical-school/admissions/admissions-process

Posted middle of last June by one, and echoed by a few:

The 2016 medical school class is now complete, and with deep regret we were unable to offer you a position. We appreciated the opportunity to review your application, to have you here for an interview, and to discover your aspirations.

We trust that, if you have not already obtained admission to medical school, you will realize your goals in the future. Thank you for your interest in Baylor College of Medicine, and we wish you success in your career.

Sincerely,

Karen E. Johnson, M.D.
Associate Dean

Jesus G. Vallejo, M.D.
Assistant Dean

Do you have any advice for the interview here? Is it with 2 faculty members?

Are both of the interviews completely open file? Closed? Partial?

Do you have any advice for the interview here? Is it with 2 faculty members?

Are both of the interviews completely open file? Closed? Partial?

Mine was two faculty, but most of the people had one student interviewer.
The interviews themselves were pretty normal and conversational. Nothing really caught me off guard. Just know the basic questions like why medicine, why Baylor, etc. They didn't say whether the interviews were open or close, and my interviewers gave no hint, so I don't know.

I did get an ethical question, but I don't think it was common. My interviewer said that there was no right or wrong answer, so it was the justification that mattered more.

The interviews also seemed less organized than other schools. A lot of schools give you a presentation on the curriculum, student life, etc. before the interviews. At Baylor, the interviews come first. And in between your interviews, you get to talk to current students and tour around the building and the anatomy lab. The tour was very short - only 15 minutes as they only showed us one building. The tour of the medical center was optional in the end.

Reactions: 1 user
And for those of you that are still waiting for an II, Dean Johnson told us that they are only half way through the interview season and they still have 7 dates left! And most decisions go out in the spring so hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
They only have 7 dates left ???? O_O

Reactions: 1 users
They only have 7 dates left ???? O_O

Yes but those dates stretch for awhile. They have 11/4, 11/11, 12/2, 1/6, 1/13, 1/27, and 2/3 left (though the November ones might be already scheduled). It seems like they offer the dates about a month beforehand, if my experience is any indication. So while they don't have a ton of dates left, I would say there's still a lot of time left to receive an II.

For those of you who have stayed with a student, when did they let you know which student you were staying with? I signed up for it early and I interview next Friday!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have stayed with a student, when did they let you know which student you were staying with? I signed up for it early and I interview next Friday!

Generally, I think people hear back the Friday before or the Monday of the interview week to let them know if they found a host

Did anyone here go to the pre-interview or post-interview social events at Baylor? How does this affect how your app looks? What if you skip the Medical Center tour?

Did anyone here go to the pre-interview or post-interview social events at Baylor? How does this affect how your app looks? What if you skip the Medical Center tour?
The only thing that affects your app is your app and your interview. I went to neither the pre-event, post-event, or tour. I don't believe this had anything to do with how I am perceived. Don't freak out.

Sameeee. Not surprised about BCM but surprised about the other schools
RIIIIIGHHHTT? I have the same sentiments as you! I'm not expecting anything from BCM, but I'm surprised I haven't heard anything from the Tech's, San Antonio, UTMB, or UTH. I feel like I've been silently rejected, tbh :(

RIIIIIGHHHTT? I have the same sentiments as you! I'm not expecting anything from BCM, but I'm surprised I haven't heard anything from the Tech's, San Antonio, UTMB, or UTH. I feel like I've been silently rejected, tbh :(

It's so frustrating because I 'expected' to get something from the Tech's or UTRGV but I haven't. I also don't really come off as someone who would work in a rural setting etc so maybe that's why? Ugh so stressed

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Not that I thought I was but it's nice to hear the sentiments echoed

It's so frustrating because I 'expected' to get something from the Tech's or UTRGV but I haven't. I also don't really come off as someone who would work in a rural setting etc so maybe that's why? Ugh so stressed
Luckily, I received an II from UTRGV, but that's all I've gotten so far. I'm so worried that I'm going back an completing some secondaries for schools I was originally going to skip (due to finances).

I'm not really into rural medicine as well, but I do have some EC's that align with that mission, so I guess it worked out for me.

The only reason I even applied to BCM is because one of my letter writers is a researcher there lol

I thought they weren't sending out acceptances until mid-November, but I bumped into someone on the interview trail who said that they've already gotten accepted at Baylor after an October interview...

I thought they weren't sending out acceptances until mid-November, but I bumped into someone on the interview trail who said that they've already gotten accepted at Baylor after an October interview...
early decision maybe? or a liar lol

Or maybe JAMP?

early decision maybe? or a liar lol
or, maybe not a liar.
If you scroll up on this page to a pasted list of Baylor important dates, you will see "Notification of acceptance Oct 2016 to June 2017"
Baylor does not use the TMDSAS application; schools that do have to wait until mid November to make in-state offers.

Or maybe JAMP?

JAMP wouldn't be on the interview trail if they were already accepted. They're bound to that school. Same with ED.

That person is maybe confused? They said multiple times at interview day they wouldn't send out any offers except for JAMP/etc until November.

Last edited:
or, maybe not a liar.
If you scroll up on this page to a pasted list of Baylor important dates, you will see "Notification of acceptance Oct 2016 to June 2017"
Baylor does not use the TMDSAS application; schools that do have to wait until mid November to make in-state offers.
They specifically told us on interview day that the earliest they would let anybody know (aside from early decision) is mid to late november. and from what i can tell after talking to ppl that have interviewed on different dates, that information has been repeated consistently at all their interview dates. and if the person got in through early decision i don't understand why they would still be on the interview trail. so either baylor went back on what they said or the person lied...

Has anyone tried sending a pre-II update to admissions? Do they accept updates?

Has anyone tried sending a pre-II update to admissions? Do they accept updates?

From the website's FAQ section:

"Yes, if you have not received an invitation to interview at Baylor then you can send updates to [email protected]. If or when you receive an invitation to interview, updates to your application will not be accepted. Those who have interviewed may send "letters of intent", but not updates to their application."

Though the latter portion is not true -- they gave us a separate email address to send post-interview updates to. They seem like a school that really likes communication from their applicants.

(Also total aside but I love your avatar! I follow a ridiculous number of pugs on Instagram and Suki is my favorite! That tongue :love:)

received II this morning! 12/2 but I can't make that so I requested another one...do you know how willing they are to accommodate schedules? I have commitments in the beginning of January and I'm concerned they might give me another date I can't attend

Reactions: 1 users
received II this morning! 12/2 but I can't make that so I requested another one...do you know how willing they are to accommodate schedules? I have commitments in the beginning of January and I'm concerned they might give me another date I can't attend
congrats! completion date and stats?

Congrats on the II! I believe they only reschedule once... When I rescheduled mine they gave me the next possible date. The next date after 12/2 is 1/6 so you'll probably be assigned that. I would do everything you can to make the rescheduled date.

Congrats on the II! I believe they only reschedule once... When I rescheduled mine they gave me the next possible date. The next date after 12/2 is 1/6 so you'll probably be assigned that. I would do everything you can to make the rescheduled date.

if I can't make that date, would it be possible for them to give me the next one if I called with a legitimate reason?

Congrats michpicc15!! Did you have a status change before the interview invite? Some (including myself) still have the same message of "is being reviewed by committee" with no change.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

if I can't make that date, would it be possible for them to give me the next one if I called with a legitimate reason?

I'm not the admissions office so I can't tell you for sure. It doesn't hurt to try but they do seem to be pretty specific about only rescheduling once.

They specifically told us on interview day that the earliest they would let anybody know (aside from early decision) is mid to late november. and from what i can tell after talking to ppl that have interviewed on different dates, that information has been repeated consistently at all their interview dates. and if the person got in through early decision i don't understand why they would still be on the interview trail. so either baylor went back on what they said or the person lied...
From another place on their website....
"Notification of acceptance to Baylor College of Medicine's first-year class, exclusive of "early decision applicants," can be made as early as Nov. 1. However, all positions are not filled until all interviews have been completed."

From another place on their website....
"Notification of acceptance to Baylor College of Medicine's first-year class, exclusive of "early decision applicants," can be made as early as Nov. 1. However, all positions are not filled until all interviews have been completed."
Yeah I've read that. I was referencing how Dr. Johnson told us that they wouldn't start sending out offers until mid to late November. But maybe she was mistaken/the adcom changed their mind.

Yeah I've read that. I was referencing how Dr. Johnson told us that they wouldn't start sending out offers until mid to late November. But maybe she was mistaken/the adcom changed their mind.
...Or maybe they just haven't changed it since last year...

So my interview is this Friday and they didn't mention a pre-interview social. I called admissions and they said there was nothing planned. Are these events informally arranged, or did they just not schedule one for my group?

So my interview is this Friday and they didn't mention a pre-interview social. I called admissions and they said there was nothing planned. Are these events informally arranged, or did they just not schedule one for my group?
I don't remember having a pre-interview social. I know there was a post-interview social for sure and they will give you more details at the info session on Friday!
The details of the social is also on the interview website
https://www.bcm.edu/education/schoo...ssions/interview-invitation/interview-program

For social, I meant this on the website:

11:30 a.m. to Noon (OPTIONAL)

If you would like to show up early to "mix and mingle" with other applicants, please feel free to do so. Lunch will be available at this time. This is not required, the official interview session starts at noon and you will still have time to eat lunch during the opening

From the website's FAQ section:

"Yes, if you have not received an invitation to interview at Baylor then you can send updates to [email protected]. If or when you receive an invitation to interview, updates to your application will not be accepted. Those who have interviewed may send "letters of intent", but not updates to their application."

Though the latter portion is not true -- they gave us a separate email address to send post-interview updates to. They seem like a school that really likes communication from their applicants.

(Also total aside but I love your avatar! I follow a ridiculous number of pugs on Instagram and Suki is my favorite! That tongue :love:)
I wonder why they would say they don't accept any updates, if you they specifically told you otherwise.

I wonder why they would say they don't accept any updates, if you they specifically told you otherwise.

They said they recently changed that policy. They just haven't updated the website yet I'm guessing.

Also, to answer your above question: they started presenting exactly at noon. Almost everyone was there well before noon. I would say get there at 11:30 unless you have a reason not to.