2016-2017 Central Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you're saying if you don't hear back at all today then there is a pretty good chance of acceptance?
Yup... at least that was many of the experiences last year.

Be cautious comparing last year with this year, I do know the admissions team changed a great deal of things this cycle.

I will admit I'm a little bummed about a few of the holds, keep chins up, and stay positive!

Reactions: 1 users
Noooo I'm so sorry!

It's alright, I'm actually quite happy about it. I straight up expected a rejection as an OOS applicant and the fact that there is a lot of movement towards the end of the cycle means that I still have an ok chance, right? Is it wrong to be excited about this lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get discouraged, guys - CMED moves a lot of waitlisted students! Still rooting for all of you!

Don't get discouraged, guys - CMED moves a lot of waitlisted students! Still rooting for all of you!

Lol what about us hold people?! It's okay, now my decision is made for me and I'm still going to medical school so I'm happy for everyone else!

I will definitely still be rooting for that second look! Do you know what mobility off of hold status has been like historically, and whether or not CMED provides feedback following rejection/closure of the cycle?

Also, I just realized that I think you were one of my student interviewers!

Yup... at least that was many of the experiences last year.

Be cautious comparing last year with this year, I do know the admissions team changed a great deal of things this cycle.

I will admit I'm a little bummed about a few of the holds, keep chins up, and stay positive!
Hey guys this is my first post on here! I have been following this thread since day 1. I interviewed here November 11 and just received my waitlist. I am unsure how to feel at this point! Star.buck, when you say admissions change a great deal of things, exactly what do you mean? Do you expect more individuals to be pulled off of the waitlist this year when compared to last year? I'm rooting for you all keep your head up! Congrats to those who are about to get phone calls..... ;)

Hey guys this is my first post on here! I have been following this thread since day 1. I interviewed here November 11 and just received my waitlist. I am unsure how to feel at this point! Star.buck, when you say admissions change a great deal of things, exactly what do you mean? Do you expect more individuals to be pulled off of the waitlist this year when compared to last year? I'm rooting for you all keep your head up! Congrats to those who are about to get phone calls..... ;)

A great deal of things is in reference to what the gentlemen in charge of admissions told me in regards to the process. CASPER is an example of this, as well as the timing of interviews, and how I also believe how the committee is making decisions. This doesn't mean that the previous year's trends aren't valid. However, I made this statement as an encouragement to realize that last year's trends may not be an accurate representation for this year's cycle.

In short: try not to read too far into what happened in previous years, including MSAR's data... as the cycle and process did change notably this year in an effort to make the process better, and to ensure the best applicants are accepted into the class of 2021.

A great deal of things is in reference to what the gentlemen in charge of admissions told me in regards to the process. CASPER is an example of this, as well as the timing of interviews, and how I also believe how the committee is making decisions. This doesn't mean that the previous year's trends aren't valid. However, I made this statement as an encouragement to realize that last year's trends may not be an accurate representation for this year's cycle.

In short: try not to read too far into what happened in previous years, including MSAR's data... as the cycle and process did change notably this year in an effort to make the process better, and to ensure the best applicants are accepted into the class of 2021.
Do you have any advice for people on the waitlist in terms of sending updates to our applications?
Also, I looked around on previous threads for info on how soon people can get accepted off the waitlist but haven't found much. Can people get accepted before April 30th?

Do you have any advice for people on the waitlist in terms of sending updates to our applications?
Also, I looked around on previous threads for info on how soon people can get accepted off the waitlist but haven't found much. Can people get accepted before April 30th?
Looking for the answer, is a hold, a silent rejection?

Has anyone's waitlist email state that you are on the "priority" waitlist? I noticed that in last year's thread, there was a priority waitlist and a waitlist. What's the difference and what's the chances of getting accepted if you are not on the "priority" waitlist and just on the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you, that was what I thought. Just don't understand the student they are looking for.

There are a lot of moving parts in the medical schools admissions process, from what they're looking for, to what you're looking for, to what they offer, to what you offer, all being filtered through the perceptions of numerous people across numerous encounters.

The point of this ramble is that any single rejection or hold does not imply you're not fit for medical school, nor that you aren't the sort or candidate another school with a near identical mission will count themselves lucky to have. Sometimes the parts just don't align as you would think they should.

Don't be too hard on yourself :) .

I would also like to know about this!

Sorry to hear about people being put on hold/wait listed, but hang in there! It's not over till it's over!! We still have a LONG way to go (until late July / August the latest!)

Did anyone NOT receive any email of any kind yet? Does this maybe mean Good news????

Sorry to hear about people being put on hold/wait listed, but hang in there! It's not over till it's over!! We still have a LONG way to go (until late July / August the latest!)

Did anyone NOT receive any email of any kind yet? Does this maybe mean Good news????

Oh snap, that could be a good sign! I'm pulling for you :) !

So you're saying if you don't hear back at all today then there is a pretty good chance of acceptance?

That was my experience this year! I figured I hadn't heard back so there were two possibilities left.

For all of those waitlisted/on hold today, hang in there! It's not over til its over.

Reactions: 3 users
I would also like to know about this!

Wait list movement usually depends on students choosing other schools, and letting go of their spot at CMed, opening up a slot for students on the wait list. That said, most of that movement happens around the April 30 deadline, but there will likely be acceptances off the wait list before then. In the past (see my previous post for my hesitations on looking into past cycles for trends) you have a decent chance of acceptance of the wait list.

I wouldn't look at a hold as a silent rejection. If they wanted to reject you, they would have rejected you. What could be the case is that they are waiting to see more applicants to make sure that the class is well rounded and filled with all the experience levels they are looking for, and you were placed on hold waiting for a decision in this manner. Or, it could very easily be something as simple as they had a huge stack of applicants they wanted to get through, and they weren't able to get through everyone Monday when the committee met. This is of course theorizing... but I do know that if they didn't want you at CMed, they would have just sent a rejection.

Whatever you do... please don't take a non-acceptance response from any school personally. It has nothing to do with how good of a physician you will be, who you are as a person, etc. I know it's frustrating, and I know that the med school application cycle can be very emotional at times. Hang in there, keep the chins up, and if this is your dream and purpose in life and you don't get an acceptance... see it as a challenge to try again next year. People always asked me what my plan B was... my response always was "try again", along with what I was going to do to bolster my application.

I'm sure you're all going to be amazing physicians. Stay the course, don't get discouraged!

Reactions: 10 users
Wait list movement usually depends on students choosing other schools, and letting go of their spot at CMed, opening up a slot for students on the wait list. That said, most of that movement happens around the April 30 deadline, but there will likely be acceptances off the wait list before then. In the past (see my previous post for my hesitations on looking into past cycles for trends) you have a decent chance of acceptance of the wait list.

I wouldn't look at a hold as a silent rejection. If they wanted to reject you, they would have rejected you. What could be the case is that they are waiting to see more applicants to make sure that the class is well rounded and filled with all the experience levels they are looking for, and you were placed on hold waiting for a decision in this manner. Or, it could very easily be something as simple as they had a huge stack of applicants they wanted to get through, and they weren't able to get through everyone Monday when the committee met. This is of course theorizing... but I do know that if they didn't want you at CMed, they would have just sent a rejection.

Whatever you do... please don't take a non-acceptance response from any school personally. It has nothing to do with how good of a physician you will be, who you are as a person, etc. I know it's frustrating, and I know that the med school application cycle can be very emotional at times. Hang in there, keep the chins up, and if this is your dream and purpose in life and you don't get an acceptance... see it as a challenge to try again next year. People always asked me what my plan B was... my response always was "try again", along with what I was going to do to bolster my application.

I'm sure you're all going to be amazing physicians. Stay the course, don't get discouraged!
You've been so great through the whole cycle, I really appreciate your kind words!

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty happy to at least be placed on the waitlist but being in limbo sucks. Oh moving on :unsure:

Pretty happy to at least be placed on the waitlist but being in limbo sucks. Oh moving on :unsure:

Think of waitlist as the school "flirting" with you, before committing... read that in one of last year'a threads and it made me laugh...

You've been so great through the whole cycle, I really appreciate your kind words!

I remember all the feels from last year. I do hope you get off that hold list, I am really hoping for some leggings education. ;)

She is truly a sage she is :)

Why Sage... can't I be lavender, or camomile? :p

Think of waitlist as the school "flirting" with you, before committing... read that in one of last year'a threads and it made me laugh...

I remember all the feels from last year. I do hope you get off that hold list, I am really hoping for some leggings education. ;)

Why Sage... can't I be lavender, or camomile? :p
I've always been **** at flirting hahaha

Hi everyone! we are supposed to be hearing back today. anyone received the call yet?

Lol what about us hold people?! It's okay, now my decision is made for me and I'm still going to medical school so I'm happy for everyone else!
Didn't you interview on Nov 18th. You already received your decision? Aren't we supposed to be hearing today?

ACCEPTED! OOS, just got the call!!! <3

Edit: interviewed 11/11

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Accepted! Just got the call! Interviewed December 2nd!

Reactions: 7 users
Didn't you interview on Nov 18th. You already received your decision? Aren't we supposed to be hearing today?

Hold and waitlist emails went out yesterday afternoon. It seems like acceptance calls are what is slotted for today!

ACCEPTED! OOS, just got the call!!! <3

Edit: interviewed 11/11

Congrats so much! From the parts I saw, you rocked it :) !

I will definitely still be rooting for that second look! Do you know what mobility off of hold status has been like historically, and whether or not CMED provides feedback following rejection/closure of the cycle?

Also, I just realized that I think you were one of my student interviewers!

Each class holds 104 students, and probably about 20-25% of our class came off the waitlist. Of those, probably about ten were holds. (CMED offers seats to a good many more, but some of those have already accepted at other schools in the meanwhile, so they withdraw and those seats go back into the pool - whence the 60-100 "off the waitlist" figure from MSAR.) You can ask the admissions office for a breakdown of your candidate package at the end of the cycle, and they're good about constructive feedback.

And sad to say, I didn't interview on November 11th. If you interviewed on November 18 or December 2, you might have gotten me as either an interviewer or a tour guide. :)

Eeeeeee!!!
Congrats so much! From the parts I saw, you rocked it :) !
Thanks guys!! I am like ~80% sure I will withdraw tho (very expensive school for OOS students - have to check out FA). Hoping that will help @Semmelweiser get a spot!! (I would say you too @syke_RN but I thought you liked Rosy Franklin?)

Fingers crossed for everyone whose on hold / wait list! I def. know the feeling - Your time will come!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Each class holds 104 students, and probably about 20-25% of our class came off the waitlist. Of those, probably about ten were holds. (CMED offers seats to a good many more, but some of those have already accepted at other schools in the meanwhile, so they withdraw and those seats go back into the pool - whence the 60-100 "off the waitlist" figure from MSAR.) You can ask the admissions office for a breakdown of your candidate package at the end of the cycle, and they're good about constructive feedback.

And sad to say, I didn't interview on November 11th. If you interviewed on November 18 or December 2, you might have gotten me as either an interviewer or a tour guide. :)

So you're saying about 10/20-25 came from the hold group?

Also, not sure if there's any way if you know this, but can "hold" people go from hold to accepted, or are they like moved to a waitlist and then accepted?

So you're saying about 10/20-25 came from the hold group?

Also, not sure if there's any way if you know this, but can "hold" people go from hold to accepted, or are they like moved to a waitlist and then accepted?
I called when I got my hold email, and they said you go from a hold to waitlist, and only then to an acceptance.

I called when I got my hold email, and they said you go from a hold to waitlist, and only then to an acceptance.

Correct. You have to move off the hold list to be considered for a waitlist spot. Based on last year's movement patterns, though, a decent number of candidates held acceptances right up to the April 30th deadline and only withdrew then, so the lists still moved a fair bit throughout May. Hence why star.buck and I have been repeatedly telling all of you not to pack it in. ;)

As for those asking about priority waitlist status, based on my personal experience as a priority waitlist candidate (so take with a grain of salt), the school only activates the priority waitlist when they have more "would have gotten accepted" candidates than they have seats toward the end of an application cycle. The priority waitlist was a way of giving those candidates "dibs" on seats they would have had outright if they had interviewed earlier. They don't deploy it every year, and if your waitlist email doesn't mention it, it likely isn't being used that year. All the priority waitlist does is ensure that you'll come off the waitlist some time before the April 30 acceptance deadline, as opposed to after.

Will they let you know that you have been moved from the waitlist via call or e-mail?

Accepted yesterday also! I got the call at work so I wasn't able to answer :[

Reactions: 5 users
If I haven't gotten an interview invitation here does sending an updated transcript help my chances?

For those that were accepted we just needed to log on to the portal to accept the offer? no deposit or anything else?

CONGRATULATIONS to all who got acceptances!!! We are 100% jazzed to have you as part of our school! :highfive:

If you can, I do suggest that you come to Second Look Day (usually held in early April). It's another opportunity to see more of the school, meet your future classmates, and decide if CMED is the right fit for you. (Plus, you get the option of going out for dinner with current students. I did it last year and highly recommend it. You get a ton of high-yield info on what to expect, and it's a lot of fun too.)

Reactions: 6 users