2016-2017 Central Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My Application Review is Complete and now I am waiting to see if I will be invited for an interview. I am a Canadian student here, so what are your guys opinion on me securing an interview? Thank you

Same as any other OOS candidate. We usually get about 3-4 Canadian students per class (ours has 4, I think the M2 class does as well, not sure about the M3 and M4s). To my knowledge, there's no quota or cap on international students.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Same as any other OOS candidate. We usually get about 3-4 Canadian students per class (ours has 4, I think the M2 class does as well, not sure about the M3 and M4s). To my knowledge, there's no quota or cap on international students.

Thank you for your reply Traumahawk. Just to hope for the best now

Members don't see this ad :)
No II. Does interview decision pending mean you're on hold ?

can someone post the correct link for checking your status? the one in my email is invalid it says!!

Interview invite by phone today. My first one. Beyond excited and nervous. Someone cancelled so I'm interviewing Friday :eek:
Instate
Complete first week of sept
under review 12/14
review complete like 5 days ago
and fyi I did do casper back in sept

Reactions: 3 users
Interview invite by phone today. My first one. Beyond excited and nervous. Someone cancelled so I'm interviewing Friday :eek:
Instate
Complete first week of sept
under review 12/14
review complete like 5 days ago
and fyi I did do casper back in sept

Congratssssss!
You did not get an email ? but by phone? wow! did you see any update on your portal?

Reactions: 1 user
Congratssssss!
You did not get an email ? but by phone? wow! did you see any update on your portal?
The portal has updated but unsure when it updated. I think i got a call because the turn around for the day I interview is so soon. Im in state so I guess they figured I could forsure get there with not too much hassle. Like getting a last min flight etc.

The portal has updated but unsure when it updated. I think i got a call because the turn around for the day I interview is so soon. Im in state so I guess they figured I could forsure get there with not too much hassle. Like getting a last min flight etc.

Congratulations! you're gonna nail it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many scholarships available... I don't remember the exact details, but I'm fairly confident that the answer is yes to both of those. Maybe one of the other current students here can answer that better? @Traumahawk , @Ruby109 ?
current M2 at CMED. i don't know the details of other scholarships off the top of my head, but i can provide one example based on my own experience. i received a small "mission-based scholarship" that was based solely on my application.

current M2 at CMED. i don't know the details of other scholarships off the top of my head, but i can provide one example based on my own experience. i received a small "mission-based scholarship" that was based solely on my application.
Thank you

If I may ask was it something that came with you acceptance package? or something you got after matriculation

had a overall great interview experience here today.
Just want to clarify with current students or people who already interviewed. According to the timeline on the website it seems like they are all blinded to our scores BEFORE the interview invite. But me and a friend feel like that's unlikely. Do any current student know if our scores and grades were looked at before the invite?

Just a quick note to say welcome and best of luck to everyone who interviewed today!

As to neeker's question about score blinding, unfortunately, I don't have a solid answer to that. I can ask the Admissions staff and see what they say, though.

Hope to see you all here soon!

Best regards,

Blue Team tour lead

had a overall great interview experience here today.
Just want to clarify with current students or people who already interviewed. According to the timeline on the website it seems like they are all blinded to our scores BEFORE the interview invite. But me and a friend feel like that's unlikely. Do any current student know if our scores and grades were looked at before the invite?

I remember wondering the same thing last year for my interview... I've worked closely with one of my current profs who interviewed me way back then... and asked him if he knew of my scores before I came in for the interview day. He confirmed that the interviewers are blinded to those scores, and said he felt the reasoning was to help create a more un-biased interview. (see the person, not the numbers) That was last year's cycle, though I can't confirm this year's methods, I don't see any reason why they'd change that.

I hope everyone had a great day yesterday, please feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

-Green Team tour lead. :)

Got my admissions packet in the mail finally super stoked to be attending here !!!!

Reactions: 6 users
I remember wondering the same thing last year for my interview... I've worked closely with one of my current profs who interviewed me way back then... and asked him if he knew of my scores before I came in for the interview day. He confirmed that the interviewers are blinded to those scores, and said he felt the reasoning was to help create a more un-biased interview. (see the person, not the numbers) That was last year's cycle, though I can't confirm this year's methods, I don't see any reason why they'd change that.

I hope everyone had a great day yesterday, please feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

-Green Team tour lead. :)

Thank for responding. My question lies with does the ADMISSIONS committee know scores before interview because #4 on the application process on their site says this :
The secondary application and letters of recommendation have been received and your application is considered complete. The admissions committee will review your application holistically. At this stage in the review process your cumulative GPA and MCAT score are not reviewed. The committee will review your personal statement, experiences and activities, secondary application, letters of recommendation, and academic record. This committee will determine which applicants are invited for interviews.

Thank for responding. My question lies with does the ADMISSIONS committee know scores before interview because #4 on the application process on their site says this :
The secondary application and letters of recommendation have been received and your application is considered complete. The admissions committee will review your application holistically. At this stage in the review process your cumulative GPA and MCAT score are not reviewed. The committee will review your personal statement, experiences and activities, secondary application, letters of recommendation, and academic record. This committee will determine which applicants are invited for interviews.
You're reading it too literally. They mean once you've passed their minimum standards for gpa/MCAT, it no longer factors into whether you get an interview or not

Ah, I see what you are saying...

I agree with what @sammiesings stated. I'd read that as saying the committee will review your entire application after your interview, but it does not factor grades into your decision of an interview invite.

Keep in mind there are several steps and several groups of people checking the applications, those considering you're applicstion complete and moving you to the next step (the people who check grades for meeting requirements), are likely not the actual ADCOM, as it would take far too long for the committee to get through 5,000 apps.

Ah, I see what you are saying...

I agree with what @sammiesings stated. I'd read that as saying the committee will review your entire application after your interview, but it does not factor grades into your decision of an interview invite.

Keep in mind there are several steps and several groups of people checking the applications, those considering you're applicstion complete and moving you to the next step (the people who check grades for meeting requirements), are likely not the actual ADCOM, as it would take far too long for the committee to get through 5,000 apps.

So, for those who are pending II invite, they have not passed the committee or the ppl who check grades for meeting min requirements?

So, for those who are pending II invite, they have not passed the committee or the ppl who check grades for meeting min requirements?

That's make an assumption that I can't confirm. However, according to the process online that has been posted here, if you don't "pass" a stage on the admissions process you are sent a rejection.

Don't read too far into these things or it will drive you nuts. The admissions cycle is tough enough as it is... all I can say is hold tight, be patient, and if this is your dream don't let anything dissuade you away from it.

That's the same position I am in at the moment. I am waiting on an Interview Invite but I am just waiting it out rather than having it make me go crazy. I wonder if the fact that I am a Canadian will alter the perception in any way. I think I read somewhere that all students are treated at the same level regardless of their citizenship is that correct?

That's the same position I am in at the moment. I am waiting on an Interview Invite but I am just waiting it out rather than having it make me go crazy. I wonder if the fact that I am a Canadian will alter the perception in any way. I think I read somewhere that all students are treated at the same level regardless of their citizenship is that correct?

Yeah, they are treated the same, it is just that Canadians will be treated as OS ( out of state) applicants!

Hey, I met a dude at my interview that is Canadian, and he got accepted too. So I don't think that is a big issue at CMED.

Hey, I met a dude at my interview that is Canadian, and he got accepted too. So I don't think that is a big issue at CMED.
Thanks Drbee, that gives me some hope. :D

Just a quick note to say welcome and best of luck to everyone who interviewed today!

As to neeker's question about score blinding, unfortunately, I don't have a solid answer to that. I can ask the Admissions staff and see what they say, though.

Hope to see you all here soon!

Best regards,

Blue Team tour lead

Hi @Traumahawk! Just wanted to say thank you for the tour and for answering all of my questions on Friday! You seem very passionate about this school and I wish you the best of luck on your Emergency Medicine endeavors. :)
The interview day here was very relaxed and everyone was completely open and honest about the school and living in Mount Pleasant. It is a small town but it sounds like there is always something going on! I definitely felt more comfortable there than at other places I have interviewed at. I would like to share some of my perspectives for reference... Everything they have there is new and tailored especially for a medical student's needs. Small details I learned: all of their books for classes are online, so they don't have to buy textbooks and don't necessarily have a medical library, but they do have a medical librarian who can help you find books if needed. They have plenty of small study rooms for group work or individual study, and have state of the art simulation dummies for the students to learn or practice on as well. Cadavers are prosected, but there are summer opportunities to dissect them with faculty. The faculty are also all required to do research and will take on interested medical students for their projects. I am curious to learn more about the clinical skills they teach during the M1 and M2 years, besides basic histories and physicals. I believe they also learn to do injections? I know Wayne teaches students how to do ultrasounds very early on, which I thought was pretty cool... Does CMED do something like this as well?
I wish I could have heard more from the current M3 and M4s about their experiences during rotations. Many of them do their rotations in a hospital in Saginaw, although I am not sure exactly which one (Covenant?). According to a student we talked to during lunch, it seems like those that had chosen to go to Detroit for their rotations were looked down upon in the hospitals they were at as they had to compete with Wayne and UofM students. From the way it was explained, it seemed like those students had to work harder to prove themselves and be picked for things such as assisting in procedures. I hope this changes as CMED becomes better acquainted with those hospitals! What I did like was that because Mount Pleasant and the surrounding area is rural, most of the physicians there are happy and eager to have you in their clinics and to be able to teach medical students, as this is not a common occurrence. A later presentation showed us a map of the many locations where they do a sort of community based rotations... I will not speak much on this part as it left me a little confused but I believe we spend a long time in one area rotating between the hospital and surrounding clinic so we can see patients over a period of time throughout their care. Their curriculum is also geared on group based learning, which is what MSUCHM switched their curriculum to be and that U of M is already doing.
Please note, this was my first time on campus and in the area, and if any of the current students want to chime in, correct, or add on to what I said please do so! I am really liking what this school has to offer and hope to be able to join the next class. :luck: It will be interesting to see where the first graduating class matches to this coming March!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi @Traumahawk! Just wanted to say thank you for the tour and for answering all of my questions on Friday! You seem very passionate about this school and I wish you the best of luck on your Emergency Medicine endeavors. :)
The interview day here was very relaxed and everyone was completely open and honest about the school and living in Mount Pleasant. It is a small town but it sounds like there is always something going on! I definitely felt more comfortable there than at other places I have interviewed at. I would like to share some of my perspectives for reference... Everything they have there is new and tailored especially for a medical student's needs. Small details I learned: all of their books for classes are online, so they don't have to buy textbooks and don't necessarily have a medical library, but they do have a medical librarian who can help you find books if needed. They have plenty of small study rooms for group work or individual study, and have state of the art simulation dummies for the students to learn or practice on as well. Cadavers are prosected, but there are summer opportunities to dissect them with faculty. The faculty are also all required to do research and will take on interested medical students for their projects. I am curious to learn more about the clinical skills they teach during the M1 and M2 years, besides basic histories and physicals. I believe they also learn to do injections? I know Wayne teaches students how to do ultrasounds very early on, which I thought was pretty cool... Does CMED do something like this as well?
I wish I could have heard more from the current M3 and M4s about their experiences during rotations. Many of them do their rotations in a hospital in Saginaw, although I am not sure exactly which one (Covenant?). According to a student we talked to during lunch, it seems like those that had chosen to go to Detroit for their rotations were looked down upon in the hospitals they were at as they had to compete with Wayne and UofM students. From the way it was explained, it seemed like those students had to work harder to prove themselves and be picked for things such as assisting in procedures. I hope this changes as CMED becomes better acquainted with those hospitals! What I did like was that because Mount Pleasant and the surrounding area is rural, most of the physicians there are happy and eager to have you in their clinics and to be able to teach medical students, as this is not a common occurrence. A later presentation showed us a map of the many locations where they do a sort of community based rotations... I will not speak much on this part as it left me a little confused but I believe we spend a long time in one area rotating between the hospital and surrounding clinic so we can see patients over a period of time throughout their care. Their curriculum is also geared on group based learning, which is what MSUCHM switched their curriculum to be and that U of M is already doing.
Please note, this was my first time on campus and in the area, and if any of the current students want to chime in, correct, or add on to what I said please do so! I am really liking what this school has to offer and hope to be able to join the next class. :luck: It will be interesting to see where the first graduating class matches to this coming March!

The student handbook available online may be able to tell you more about the clinicals of years 3 and 4, which hospitals you can rotate through, etc. Just note that this may be different for the years you rotate, as CMed continues to make connections with the communities it's involved with, and develop its program.

https://www.cmich.edu/colleges/cmed/Documents/Education/Handbook-Policies/Handbooks/The Clinical Clerkship Handbook_DRAFT_JF 021116.pdf

There is also a handbook for the Community Clerkship (6 month rotation), I can grab that for you if you'd like as well. These are all available on the CMed website with a little digging.

The student handbook available online may be able to tell you more about the clinicals of years 3 and 4, which hospitals you can rotate through, etc. Just note that this may be different for the years you rotate, as CMed continues to make connections with the communities it's involved with, and develop its program.

https://www.cmich.edu/colleges/cmed/Documents/Education/Handbook-Policies/Handbooks/The Clinical Clerkship Handbook_DRAFT_JF 021116.pdf

There is also a handbook for the Community Clerkship (6 month rotation), I can grab that for you if you'd like as well. These are all available on the CMed website with a little digging.

Thank you for the information @star.buck! I will dig through the website and see what I can find. :)

Does CMU hold on to applications until the bitter end? IE: silent rejections until March or so?

Does CMU hold on to applications until the bitter end? IE: silent rejections until March or so?
States in the status section next to "Application Review Complete": Your supplemental application review is complete but an interview decision is pending. While we make every effort to provide application decisions in a timely manner, it is possible that an applicant could remain without an interview decision until February.

States in the status section next to "Application Review Complete": Your supplemental application review is complete but an interview decision is pending. While we make every effort to provide application decisions in a timely manner, it is possible that an applicant could remain without an interview decision until February.
Right. But I haven't seen any pre-II rejections? Or have I just missed them?

Right. But I haven't seen any pre-II rejections? Or have I just missed them?
I saw one back at the beginning of December earlier in the thread. Seems most people just wait around if they're not selected for a II.

Wooooo yay. What's in it? Still waiting on mine

Just like the acceptance letters and booklet with most of the information talked about in the interview presentations, as well as fafsa information and information to set up your cmed email!

thoughts on emailing admissions re: status of application which has been the same (reviewed, interview decision pending) for months?! i have updated the school via PDF uploaded to portal but still... I have been hoping for an interview here since submitting secondary in July!!

thoughts on emailing admissions re: status of application which has been the same (reviewed, interview decision pending) for months?! i have updated the school via PDF uploaded to portal but still... I have been hoping for an interview here since submitting secondary in July!!
I don't think there is anything wrong with doing so especially if you haven't emailed them about a status update recently/ever. I'd prefer to call though since sometimes emails can get lost in the far reaches of the internet!