2016-2017 Cleveland Clinic (Lerner) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received -- this is a dream school for me! For clarification, university track = Case Western Reserve 4-year MD, college track = Cleveland Clinic 5-year MD + research qualification. @Wedgdawg Prompts are:

(University Track)

1. The admissions committee is interested in gaining more insight into you as a person. Please describe a significant personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you may have learned about yourself as a result. (3500 char)

2. One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Program, if you have participated in research or in another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that the definition of research is broadly-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis, and can include both medically and non-medically-related investigations. OPTIONAL 3500 char

3. If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it? (300 - 1000 char)

4. Is there any further information that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee? This optional response will only be considered by the University Program. *OPTIONAL*

(College Track) Previous essays plus:

5. Each year our students target for themselves areas of improvement. Other than the acquisition of new knowledge, what personal area do you think you have that could use strengthening? Design a plan as to how you could improve it. (500-1000 char)

6. Tell us about a time when you received unexpected criticism or negative feedback. How did you react? What did you do? (500-1000 char)

7. How do you see your career ten years from now? (500-1000 char)

8. When were you challenged to teach, coach, or mentor others to learn a new skill or improve an old one? Please describe how it went and what you learned from the experience. (500-1000 char)

9. If you took a gap year, please describe how you spent that time. Please limit your response to 500 characters, and leave blank lines between paragraphs (500 char)

As far as I know the Case (University) and Cleveland Clinic (College) admissions boards are separate entities. It seems like essays #1-3 will be seen by both, #4 by Case only, and #5-9 by Cleveland Clinic only. Anyone know whether that's true?

Guys what's the average accepted MCAT for Lerner? I'm sitting at a 512.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys what's the average accepted MCAT for Lerner? I'm sitting at a 512.
Accepted students in the past avg on old MCAT of 35 which correlates with a 517 on new MCAT. Avg applicant MCAT is about 510. However, an MCAT score is not the most important criteria for CCLCM.

So this is my absolute dream program, but I have a question about admissions. I have publications (first authored and third authored) as well as presenting at multiple international conferences, BUT all of it was psychology/neuroscience research (not necessarily biomedical per se). Do the adcoms only accept those with biomedical research, or do they also accept students that have research with a different focus but are willing to branch out? Thanks all and good luck to everyone!

So this is my absolute dream program, but I have a question about admissions. I have publications (first authored and third authored) as well as presenting at multiple international conferences, BUT all of it was psychology/neuroscience research (not necessarily biomedical per se). Do the adcoms only accept those with biomedical research, or do they also accept students that have research with a different focus but are willing to branch out? Thanks all and good luck to everyone!
Any research is accepted. However, they are interested in how involved you were and how well you can articulate the research in your application, and hopefully, during your interviews.

Any research is accepted. However, they are interested in how involved you were and how well you can articulate the research in your application, and hopefully, during your interviews.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question! It was helpful and I really appreciate it.

Also as a general thought just want to say that when you're in the school, research can even include non-clinical research (like history of medicine, health services, etc). I think CCLCM used to be more biomed-specific but has slightly broadened it's view of research in the past several years. There are still rules, but overall, and I say this as a public service announcement to those applying, many types of research are represented in the school, so don't be scared away by thinking you don't fit into some sort of box.

Reactions: 1 users
How friendly is this school to OOS with no ties to the city or state?

Anyone know if I can apply to Lerner after submitting my Case Western App? I'm not completely sold yet, and would like to submit my Case app ASAP while still researching Lerner.

Members don't see this ad :)
uhm.... so basically, this school is Case Western but with a required master thesis? They even share the same facility, right?

uhm.... so basically, this school is Case Western but with a required master thesis? They even share the same facility, right?
Not exactly. CCLCM is on the campus of Cleveland Clinic Foundation and has its own building and faculty. Student options for clinical rotations are similar I believe, but they are separate entities.

Secondary received -- this is a dream school for me! For clarification, university track = Case Western Reserve 4-year MD, college track = Cleveland Clinic 5-year MD + research qualification. @Wedgdawg
@theNDhopeful44 But then?????

i'd love a small class but I just want the MD no MS...

You don't get an MS, you just need to do the extra year of research. Got my combined Case/CWRU secondary a few days ago! 3.82 GPA 512 MCAT (124 cars though) and LizzyM ~ 70.8.

So.....I can choose the university track and attend Lerner instead of Case Western?

So.....I can choose the university track and attend Lerner instead of Case Western?

No, the university track refers to the Case Western program only. The only program at the Cleveland Clinic is the 5-year college track. As others have said it's not a combined MD/MS but rather a 5-year program with one year devoted to research (although you can get an MS in something). The difference between it and just taking a research year out from an MD program is that you have close mentoring throughout the five years, your preclinical classes are taught with physician-scientists in mind, and you will be required to do research for two summers (one basic, one clinical) other than your research year. They are two different programs with different goals, but they do overlap in some areas (clinical years, extra curriculars, etc)

No, the university track refers to the Case Western program only. The only program at the Cleveland Clinic is the 5-year college track. As others have said it's not a combined MD/MS but rather a 5-year program with one year devoted to research (although you can get an MS in something). The difference between it and just taking a research year out from an MD program is that you have close mentoring throughout the five years, your preclinical classes are taught with physician-scientists in mind, and you will be required to do research for two summers (one basic, one clinical) other than your research year. They are two different programs with different goals, but they do overlap in some areas (clinical years, extra curriculars, etc)

Agreed. @wizzed101, think of it as CCLCM (Lerner, the college program, the Cleveland clinic program) is for all intents and purposes its own program. It is a 5 year, researched focused MD (optional masters) and the Cleveland Clinic pays your tuition. This is compared with Case (university track) that is a traditional 4 year school.

The Cleveland Clinic itself is not a degree-granting institution, hence why they are a program that is a part of Case. In operation, the two programs are completely separate, somewhat different, and you cannot cross over from one to the other.

With regards to question #8, is skill supposed to be taken loosely? I want to talk about my time teaching as a TA, but idk if I taught a "skill" persay.

anyone know if case delays II for regular applicants if you also applied to lerner?

Last edited:
As far as I know the two admissions committees are totally independent

Hey guys, I'm a recent CCLCM grad and am happy to answer questions about the school on this forum. I loved my time there and felt it really set me up well for residency. I may not answer too frequently given my schedule, but I'll do my best. Also, to answer some of the questions already posted, the 2 adcoms act mostly independently, but the Case adcom does have a supervisory role over the CCLCM adcom, since we are all technically Case students. Normally, the practical effect of this is minimal.

Also, in the past, II's for Case would occasionally be delayed pending the CCLCM review for an applicant who applied to both programs. I'm assuming they are still doing this. They do this as a courtesy to the applicants, so that you can receive both invites at the same time and schedule both interviews for the same trip. However, if you applied to both schools and only receive 1 interview invite initially, it does not mean you are out of the running at the other school.

Both schools subscribe to the philosophy that the date of your interview does not influence your chance of admission. You don't "interview for the waitlist" at either Case or CCLCM.

Good luck this season!

Reactions: 5 users
Marked complete here on 7/27, still haven't heard anything. Gosh this place would be a dream come true.

I need some advice on whether or not I should discuss unpublished research in the secondary essay. This is my most significant research experience: it took two years of work and our research findings were very surprising and interesting. I am first author on the recently submitted but still unapproved manuscript. My PI however did a lot of the work and he has kept our research results secret, only sharing them with our co-authors and a few other people after they signed a confidentiality disclosure agreement. I am not sure if it would be right to go into details about our research methods and results before the transcript is approved for publication (that can take up to a year depending on the journal according to my PI). Do admissions committees consider our responses in their secondary applications confidential? If not, should I discuss another research project I did in college years ago instead? Should I discuss this study but not divulge too many details about our methods and findings? What would you do? I'm really interested in CCLCM and Case but I'm worried of divulging too much information to too many people in this secondary application and hurting my lab in the process.

I need some advice on whether or not I should discuss unpublished research in the secondary essay. This is my most significant research experience: it took two years of work and our research findings were very surprising and interesting. I am first author on the recently submitted but still unapproved manuscript. My PI however did a lot of the work and he has kept our research results secret, only sharing them with our co-authors and a few other people after they signed a confidentiality disclosure agreement. I am not sure if it would be right to go into details about our research methods and results before the transcript is approved for publication (that can take up to a year depending on the journal according to my PI). Do admissions committees consider our responses in their secondary applications confidential? If not, should I discuss another research project I did in college years ago instead? Should I discuss this study but not divulge too many details about our methods and findings? What would you do? I'm really interested in CCLCM and Case but I'm worried of divulging too much information to too many people in this secondary application and hurting my lab in the process.

This is probably a question best answered by your PI. I'd imagine that the adcoms treat the answers to this question with confidentiality since most of us will be working with results that are unpublished, but if secrecy is important to your PI then you should absolutely get their permission before distributing them to any number of unknown professionals who may be competitors working on similar projects. If your PI prefers total secrecy then maybe s/he could contact the adcom and explain the situation or help you write an essay that could still carry a lot of weight for you, based off of different results. You should also contact the admissions office, since you can't be the first applicant working on a high-stakes project.

I would take the advice of the above poster and talk to your PI about your concerns. Chances are he or she won't care about you talking in generalities about your research.

I also just want to remind you you don't need to divulge the exact methods (like the settings on your PCR, or the exact statistical test you ran if you did a clinical study), nor do you need to give exact effect sizes or anything. The purpose of the essay, as I understand it, is to demonstrate your interest in research and show that you can speak intelligently on it. As long as your PI is ok with the research topic more generally being discussed, you should be able to keep the rest of the essay broad enough not to ruffle any feathers. Again, more important that you demonstrate your interest and participation in research and your ability to communicate that then it is to prove anything about your research itself (which might require more specifics).

I'll also say I'd be surprised if the essays weren't confidential. Also, if you already have he manuscript prepared, there is no way even if somebody did read your essay that they'd have enough time to redo all of your work and submit a paper before you anyway. But again, all that can be cleared up with a chat with your PI.

guys, check your status on the portal if you haven't so already! I logged in this morning on a whim and saw that my app was on-hold. Hopefully this is a good thing... :|

When were you marked as complete? I just checked and I'm still stuck on "Marked as Complete"

I submitted 2nd week. On one hand, I guess I am still in the running, on the other, THE WAIT IS KILLING ME.

Reeeeeejected.

Interview for University though :)

When were you marked as complete? I just checked and I'm still stuck on "Marked as Complete"

Same here, I was complete 7/18 and haven't received word from either program. Hopefully it's a good sign :shrug: Some users posted rejections from CCLM and interviews at case western, so seems like we survived, at least one round of rejections

Reactions: 2 users
Same here, I was complete 7/18 and haven't received word from either program. Hopefully it's a good sign :shrug: Some users posted rejections from CCLM and interviews at case western, so seems like we survived, at least one round of rejections

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we survive to get an interview!

Complete 7/27. No word from either program. Good/bad sign?

lol and I just got II for the both the university and college track.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!! When were you guys complete? And did you get an email or just check your portal?

Congrats! Wondering about the portal versus email thing also.

Last edited:
I was complete 7/11. I had checked the portal yesterday and nothing. I got the email like an hour ago.

ARGH! I've got an email telling me to check my iApply
I was complete 7/11. I had checked the portal yesterday and nothing. I got the email like an hour ago.
Did it tell you to go check your portal? I got one this morning telling me my status is updated, but I can't check my portal until I get back to my house and my computer! Ahhhhhhhh! I'm going to be wondering all day!!!!

Mine said "The admission committee.... is pleased to offer you interviews to both..."

Ah well, I guess I'm not going to have good news then. Congrats and good luck to you both!

OMG OMG. I got it! Only applied college track, so maybe that was the difference!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
II to both as well!!!

Reactions: 1 users