2016-2017 Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ManxomeJoe Thanks for the info. It's really helpful. Actually, my hotel is on W 168th St. so I need to take the subway from Penn Station to the hotel the night before the interview and going the other way the evening after the interview. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

I will be in around 6PM the and hopefully the interview will be done around 5PM the next day?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be in around 6PM the and hopefully the interview will be done around 5PM the next day?
I was able to leave at around 2 because I had a morning interview. Others had afternoon interviews around 230-3, but they were able to leave as soon as their interview finished I believe

Is anyone else having difficulties logging into the portal? Whenever I try to login, I am directed to a page that asks me to change my password. When I try logging in with the new password, I am asked to change it again...

EDIT: Nevermind! I was able to login!

Last edited:
Is anyone else having difficulties logging into the portal? Whenever I try to login, I am directed to a page that asks me to change my password. When I try logging in with the new password, I am asked to change it again...

Nevermind! I was able to login!
I had to change my password too, but my new password worked

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back from the Bassett program yet?

I applied Bassett and just got a II for regular MD - said they "were unable to offer" me a Bassett interview, FWIW. So they might be narrowing their candidate pool before sending out IIs for that.

I'll still take what I got haha! Earliest available date for regular MD was in December. Did they really fill up that fast? Also does anyone know if Columbia is rolling?

Reactions: 4 users
I applied Bassett and just got a II for regular MD - said they "were unable to offer" me a Bassett interview, FWIW. So they might be narrowing their candidate pool before sending out IIs for that.

I'll still take what I got haha! Earliest available date for regular MD was in December. Did they really fill up that fast? Also does anyone know if Columbia is rolling?

Columbia is not rolling. All decisions are released mid Feb

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Have you heard of anyone else applying to Bassett and what has happened?

Also congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did anyone get this email? I am wondering if everyone sitting on 10/21 has to reschedule, or it just happened to me. Thanks!

"Dear P&S Applicant,

Unfortunately due to necessary scheduling changes we are no longer able to offer you the date
of 10/21 for your admissions interview. However we would be happy to provide you with any other weekday in October. Please get in touch with ....... to reschedule.

Thank you and we apologize for any changes to your travel plans you might need to make."

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get this email? I am wondering if everyone sitting on 10/21 has to reschedule, or it just happened to me. Thanks!

"Dear P&S Applicant,

Unfortunately due to necessary scheduling changes we are no longer able to offer you the date
of 10/21 for your admissions interview. However we would be happy to provide you with any other weekday in October. Please get in touch with ....... to reschedule.

Thank you and we apologize for any changes to your travel plans you might need to make."

I also got that email for my interview on 11/18

You're welcome! When you get an II you are able to indicate that you would like to stay with a student host and they will try to match you up with one. If they can't find you one, you are able to stay the night in the 1st year dorms for like $40 or something like that

II TODAY! Legit dream school. Complete 8/5, LizzyM >~78. Interview dates that were open were all first two weeks of November.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all! All I'm seeing is interview dates on Friday.

Just October 21 and January 20, ouch.

Does Columbia interview on other days of the week as well?

Are they likely to release other dates?

II on 9/23, secondary was marked "complete" on July 30th.

cGPA 3.78, sGPA 3.60, MCAT 512

II today!!! i can't wait to interview here, definitely one of my top choices. complete 9/1

I had one of the best interviewing experiences at this school!! I think I am in love with Columbia!

Reactions: 2 users
What made the experience so awesome? How long ago did you interview?

1) everyone, from the secretary to the dean, were super nice, helpful and organized
2) the M1s were super friendly and easy to talk to
3) the new building they just built looks sick, I got to attend one of the ongoing classes and the lecture hall is also beautiful
4) Their study area/library is also state of the art
4) The school overlooks the Hudson and the GW bridge, so the view was amazing
5) NY Presbyterian is massive
6) For lunch, you get to select from 20+ sandwiches
7) The interview itself is very conversational

The only thing I disliked about the interview was that they don't tell you what time your interview will be until you get there. If you get a morning interview time-slot, you can finish your day by 2ish, but if you get an evening time-slot, you might have to stick around till 6. This just makes planning more difficult for people who are traveling from far away. But overall, a 10/10!

1) everyone, from the secretary to the dean, were super nice, helpful and organized
2) the M1s were super friendly and easy to talk to
3) the new building they just built looks sick, I got to attend one of the ongoing classes and the lecture hall is also beautiful
4) Their study area/library is also state of the art
4) The school overlooks the Hudson and the GW bridge, so the view was amazing
5) NY Presbyterian is massive
6) For lunch, you get to select from 20+ sandwiches
7) The interview itself is very conversational

The only thing I disliked about the interview was that they don't tell you what time your interview will be until you get there. If you get a morning interview time-slot, you can finish your day by 2ish, but if you get an evening time-slot, you might have to stick around till 6. This just makes planning more difficult for people who are traveling from far away. But overall, a 10/10!
I've noticed a lot of the top schools are like this with the interview scheduling.

Congrats! What dates were available?
only mid november for me--i checked it earlier and it had the first week of november too, but it's all taken now! :O

Has anyone submitted an update? I did last week and when I logged on to check on it, the application updates page doesn't say if I uploaded anything. Just want to see if that's normal.

Has anyone submitted an update? I did last week and when I logged on to check on it, the application updates page doesn't say if I uploaded anything. Just want to see if that's normal.
Yes it's normal! They emailed me back a few days after to confirm that they have received the update!

Hi! I’m a second year in the Bassett program! If you have any questions about the program feel free to reply here or message me.

A couple people asked about the Bassett application timeline. There’s one Columbia-Bassett interview day every month until January. 10 people are interviewed in each batch. Bassett releases 5 acceptances at the end of December, and five later in the cycle. There is also a waitlist.

Decisions between Bassett and Columbia are entirely separate. You can be waitlisted at Bassett but still be accepted regular MD, and vice versa.

Please reach out with any questions! Columbia-Bassett is a wonderful program, and there really is no downside to at least applying! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone complete late August/Early September hear anything about II's yet?

Reactions: 1 users