2016-2017 Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you!

During my interview day, a bunch of us sat in the admissions office lobby and first years would wander in and talk to us about the school, really great vibe, gets the President Chillson stamp of chill-proval

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know when the interviews are being scheduled right now?

Hopefully some II's are sent out this week!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interview invite to Columbia-Bassett! Application completed in July.

This was one of my top choices going in to the application cycle, and I am so relieved to finally hear back from them!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite!!!!!!!!!!!! Complete mid July, low 70s LizzyM, dates were throughout December! Can't wait to see a top 10 school, first II there :D

Reactions: 9 users
II! Complete early August

Ahh, II just a few minutes ago!
5 dates open in December.

Complete early August. LizzyM 72-73

Reactions: 5 users
II early this week. Cant believe they showed me some love. Sadly I will be declining tomorrow. Hardest decision I have ever had to make. Hopefully this goes to one of you hard working folks and it turns into an acceptance. Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

II early this week. Cant believe they showed me some love. Sadly I will be declining tomorrow. Hardest decision I have ever had to make. Hopefully this goes to one of you hard working folks and it turns into an acceptance. Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any reason for declining???

Would you mind sharing when you were complete? Congratulations on your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind sharing when you were complete? Congratulations on your decision!
I was complete in late August early September I believe. I published two more papers while waiting and sent them update emails. II a few weeks later.

Could someone direct me to where exactly I should send handwritten thank you cards? I'd guess the office of admissions, but I'm not entirely sure. Thanks!

LizzyM <60, gets II to Columbia, declines.

016bf7ef1c92a60856ae355d84244072_400x400.jpeg

Reactions: 19 users
Hey everyone! I just got a manuscript accepted for publication and I am wondering if I should update Columbia at some point? I interviewed a couple of months ago but obviously they aren't letting us know for a while so I don't know if it matters when I send the update if I choose to. Definitely one of my absolute top choices so I don't want to annoy them with updating them with something insignificant.

Hey everyone! I just got a manuscript accepted for publication and I am wondering if I should update Columbia at some point? I interviewed a couple of months ago but obviously they aren't letting us know for a while so I don't know if it matters when I send the update if I choose to. Definitely one of my absolute top choices so I don't want to annoy them with updating them with something insignificant.
I did. I updated them when I published last month.

I did. I updated them when I published last month.

Thanks! Did you just send a short email/update to the portal? Did you discuss the publication in detail or just mention the title and where it was accepted?

Thanks! Did you just send a short email/update to the portal? Did you discuss the publication in detail or just mention the title and where it was accepted?
Just sent an email i think with the title and year. Nothing special.

are there any more IIs left to give out? i did not realize the deadline for supporting documents was 11/12 and sent in something early this week. i am hoping that someone will see it and consider me for the last wave of IIs but i may hav already missed it.

Reactions: 1 user
are there any more IIs left to give out? i did not realize the deadline for supporting documents was 11/12 and sent in something early this week. i am hoping that someone will see it and consider me for the last wave of IIs but i may hav already missed it.

II OOS! Complete mid August LizzyM 80

Not counting on this turning into anything since this late in the cycle they probably take 1 out of 5 interviewees or less lol. Dates were available from early to late January. Hilariously my fiancée's family is visiting NYC the week I scheduled it so I can save some money XD

Not counting on this turning into anything since this late in the cycle they probably take 1 out of 5 interviewees or less lol. Dates were available from early to late January. Hilariously my fiancée's family is visiting NYC the week I scheduled it so I can save some money XD

Congrats on the II!!

they take 1/5 interviewees regardless of the month lol. Good luck!!

Congrats on the II!!

they take 1/5 interviewees regardless of the month lol. Good luck!!

How do you know that for sure?

Also- II today :) complete the very first day they sent out secondaries, whenever that was

How do you know that for sure?

Also- II today :) complete the very first day they sent out secondaries, whenever that was

Congratulations to you 2! Good luck!

Did you send in updates between submitting secondary and II?

II today as well! LizzyM ~77, complete late September

II today, holy crap think they made a mistake! Complete 8/09

Reactions: 4 users
Interview invite received today. Dreams do come true

II! In complete shock, wtf??

Got a II here today! I was really surprised since I was complete in mid-July. Really excited

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone know the percent of interviewed applicants that are accepted?

does anyone know the percent of interviewed applicants that are accepted?

Like ~29%. One of the lowest rates in the US. And that's on average for the whole cycle, so I'd think for interviews towards the end the percent is a good amount lower. But I'm looking at it as a nonzero chance of getting into freakin Columbia so I'm ok with it :D

Like ~29%. One of the lowest rates in the US. And that's on average for the whole cycle, so I'd think for interviews towards the end the percent is a good amount lower. But I'm looking at it as a nonzero chance of getting into freakin Columbia so I'm ok with it :D

Just curious where are you getting that number from?

Just curious where are you getting that number from?

This info is somewhere on Columbia's site. Last year I think it was ~310 acceptances (this includes acceptances off the waitlist) and 1100 interviews. I can find it for you later if you want.

Per US News, 1090 were interviewed and 313 were accepted.

Columbia is nonrolling. Hypothetically, dates shouldn't affect yield.

Do we have any idea when they stop sending II?

Per US News, 1090 were interviewed and 313 were accepted.

Columbia is nonrolling. Hypothetically, dates shouldn't affect yield.

You say 'hyothetically'...so you're speculating someone who was offered an early interview has a higher likelihood of getting an acceptance than someone who was offered an interview later on in the cycle. I know this is true at schools with rolling admission (Michigan etc) but has this actually been confirmed at non-rolling schools like Columbia?