2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed here recently. I must admit, I was very impressed and somewhat surprised. Didn't go into it expecting to like it as much as I did. Faculty and staff were great, the facilities are all new so they were impressive, and the clinical rotations that we would get exposed to are second to none in terms of the diverse patient population you would be exposed to (Mt. Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, Jackson, Memorial, VA, etc.) Students were all pretty chill and they (faculty) seem very committed to our success, not just serving their own interests. Also, they take Step 1 after 3rd year instead of second year like normal, so their average step was a 240 with the national average being 229. All in all, this school shot to the top one or two of my radar after a very good interview experience. Hope that helps y'all decide on whether or not you may want to attend this interview!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Do they send any type of confirmation of acceptance? I was accepted almost a month ago and haven't gotten any form of confirmation of accepting my acceptance. Starting to make me nervous lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interviewed here recently. I must admit, I was very impressed and somewhat surprised. Didn't go into it expecting to like it as much as I did. Faculty and staff were great, the facilities are all new so they were impressive, and the clinical rotations that we would get exposed to are second to none in terms of the diverse patient population you would be exposed to (Mt. Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, Jackson, Memorial, VA, etc.) Students were all pretty chill and they (faculty) seem very committed to our success, not just serving their own interests. Also, they take Step 1 after 3rd year instead of second year like normal, so their average step was a 240 with the national average being 229. All in all, this school shot to the top one or two of my radar after a very good interview experience. Hope that helps y'all decide on whether or not you may want to attend this interview!

That is the world's best username. Ever.

Glad you liked the school. In terms of students, you're right, we're all pretty chill. Highly motivated yet chill people. I think it makes for a great class environment.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How long after your status changes to "Admissions Committee Scheduled" do you wait to hear back usually?

How long after your status changes to "Admissions Committee Scheduled" do you wait to hear back usually?
They told me at my interview when I would hear back. So I had that status up until the week I was supposed to hear back.

i interviewed first week of december and they told me week of january 30th IIRC

...which was ... ?
I interviewed late October and received my decision in mid December. I think my interview group was the first one included in the December admission committee review.

How do I upload an update into the portal? I was reading earlier in this thread that it is possible, but I don't see it :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thank you so much! Do you know if bullet points/new lines preserve in the plain text format? Mine is originally a PDF, and I didn't realize we would have to copy and paste
I don't think it preserves. Because I have two updates they just all bunch up in a paragraph

Reactions: 1 users
3.7 gpa 3.5 sgpa 499 MCAT
Do you mind sharing when you completed the secondary and also if you sent them a letter of intent? My stats is around the same as yours and they still haven't reviewed my application yet so I'm super worry

LM of 65. On the waitlist. Anyone have any advice on what I can do to strengthen my application? I have a committee letter and sent in an extra LOR from a doctor I work for.

LM of 65. On the waitlist. Anyone have any advice on what I can do to strengthen my application? I have a committee letter and sent in an extra LOR from a doctor I work for.

Go to Church and pray your ass off. lol

Joking aside, there isn't much to do unless you have a "significant update" to add in your portal.

If it makes you feel better, this is my top choice and I also got WL.

Ah okay. Does anyone have any info about their WL? Do a lot of students get accepted off of it? And if so, does it normally happen before mid-May?

Last edited:
Just declined my acceptance here. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 10 users
Application status is still "Secondary Application Completed".
Anything I should do? Call them, etc?

Does sending a LOI really make a difference if you're on the Waitlist?

Application status is still "Secondary Application Completed".
Anything I should do? Call them, etc?

Nope. Many people have gone from that to II so there is no real indication whether you will or won't.

Does sending a LOI really make a difference if you're on the Waitlist?

I did prior to the decision and got WL. Maybe it does but if it does, it's probably a very small difference. Doesn't hurt to I guess.

Do you mind sharing when you completed the secondary and also if you sent them a letter of intent? My stats is around the same as yours and they still haven't reviewed my application yet so I'm super worry
i completed my secondary in september and i sent my letter of intent a week before they called me so definitely do it.

I've got the school's snapchat today if you are interested in what a typical day for me looks like. fiu_med on snapchat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
i completed my secondary in september and i sent my letter of intent a week before they called me so definitely do it.

Would you be willing to elaborate more on what you submitted?

If so, but not publicly, then by PM.

I've got the school's snapchat today if you are interested in what a typical day for me looks like. FIU Med on snapchat.
Oh dang lol was just looking at it an hour ago and now I see this post

Would you be willing to elaborate more on what you submitted?

If so, but not publicly, then by PM.

I just talked about how much I liked the program and how it would help me accomplish my goals and mentioned reasons of why it would be the perfect fit for me despite my other acceptances and interviews.

I just talked about how much I liked the program and how it would help me accomplish my goals and mentioned reasons of why it would be the perfect fit for me despite my other acceptances and interviews.

Thank you very much!

did you send it via email or mail?

Hope you guys enjoyed the snapchats! They'll stay on the story for 24 hours. I answered a bunch of questions by the end of it. fiu_med

interviewed early december, they said we'd find out the week of january 30th, gonna be nervous all week

+4! The email did provide some hope at least.

I got accepted today!!! It is my first allopathic acceptance and I am so excited, this is the best day ever!!!!!!! I interviewed 12/16 and they told us at our interview we'd hear back 1/31, so the date they give you must be pretty accurate. LM=69.

Reactions: 12 users
Admissions Committee Scheduled:nailbiting:. *Heart stops*