2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

+1 for "on-hold for re-review" I think I was officially complete on 7/25ish(whenever they received all my letters)

+4 I guess. OOS as well so it was probably a bit of a stretch. Still, for this being the first news I heard, I wish it could've been more positive. Hopefully this isn't a bad omen of things to come.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I send a letter of intent to the admissions committee after being put on hold? And how late in the cycle do people placed on hold eventually hear back from them?
 
LizzyM ~72, AMCAS verified 7/27, secondary and fee submitted 7/31, current status:

Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal.
 
I wish I had the answer but it really depends. If you scroll through last cycle's thread, you'll find that some people's on-hold status turned into an II within a month but others never did... it seems like there are a LOT of us on hold so don't worry, we just have to be patient now and play the waiting game.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from August through March. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.


🙁
 
Anyone know if adcom rejects applicants after a first review? Or are people systematically placed on hold if they aren't offered an II right away? I don't remember from scrolling through last cycle's thread if rejections came this early
 
Anyone know if adcom rejects applicants after a first review? Or are people systematically placed on hold if they aren't offered an II right away? I don't remember from scrolling through last cycle's thread if rejections came this early

From the last two threads, it seems like they put everyone on hold and send out mass rejections late October/early November. A lot of people get put on hold for months before getting an interview though.
 
Just checked and was placed on hold over the weekend. 🙁

To be fair, I misspelled a word in one of my essays so I'm not surprised.
 
It's been 2.5 weeks since I submitted and my primary was verified and I still just have the complete status :dead: how long were people at complete until their status changed to "under review?" Catching up on this thread is giving me butterflies but in a bad way :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waiting_for_Lunch_Funny_Meme.jpg
 
I just checked my status and I'm on hold 🙁 518 MCAT 3.75 GPA

Placed on hold today :/

Also on hold since yesterday :sorry:


Hold is much more positive than rejection!! It's just verbally telling you "we haven't decided" rather than some other schools that probably put you in a "hold" pile when they don't communicate until like January. Chins up!

When was everyone complete?
 
idk if this will help anyone, but submitted my app 8/09 and logged into my portal today and saw I'm placed on hold
 
Submitted in the first week of August, on hold this week... Does anyone on hold plan on updating soon or is everyone going to wait a few weeks if they have any updates?
 
Submitted in the first week of August, on hold this week... Does anyone on hold plan on updating soon or is everyone going to wait a few weeks if they have any updates?
If you have a significant update (new employment, new grades, publication, etc.), send it in. However, if you are grasping at straws (e.g. "I really want to go to GW"), I would wait. Desperation updates should be sent after X-mas break...not now.
 
Submitted in the first week of August, on hold this week... Does anyone on hold plan on updating soon or is everyone going to wait a few weeks if they have any updates?
I updated yesterday with grades from summer classes I just took...I figured why wait. Maybe it will get them to review my app again sooner...not holding my breath through haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got put on-hold earlier this week. Complete about 2 weeks ago. Last year I was also put on hold and never heard back from them, and I really don't expect anything different this year. Well, this is my last time applying to med school, so I guess it's goodbye GW. Good luck to everyone else applying.
 
Does anyone know what the interview day schedule is like.... for example, are individual interviews held first in the morning or in the afternoon? Is the tour last? Etc.