You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
On hold, complete 7/26
If I remember correctly, it was about 2 weeks. But based off the person above me (complete 7/26 and on-hold), you may hear good news soon!Complete since 7/19 and my status today changed to "your file is under review"
How long was everyone on this status before a hold or II?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete since 7/19 and my status today changed to "your file is under review"
How long was everyone on this status before a hold or II?
What did your status say before this? I've been stuck on this status since 7/21
'What did your status say before this? I've been stuck on this status since 7/21
It was the original "complete" message! Are you stuck on file is under review, or the complete message?
Two different statuses. It changed from the longer complete status (which I had from the very beginning), to a really short under review status this morning
To everybody worrying, please realize that it is still VERY early in this application cycle. In fact, some schools haven't sent out ANY II's yet. I'd be willing to bet that ~90-95% of possible II slots haven't been filled. Checking your email like a mad(wo)man isn't going to make you feel any better. As long as you haven't received a rejection letter yet then you're still in the fight. Just remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. If you haven't gotten any II's around thanksgiving, then you can start to THINK about sending update letters to give you a leg-up. For now, sit back, crack a beer (or whiskey) and enjoy whats left of this summer. It won't be here much longer. And your next summer will hopefully be spent worrying about school supplies for MSI
RogueBanana out.

RogueBanana out.

To everybody worrying, please realize that it is still VERY early in this application cycle. In fact, some schools haven't sent out ANY II's yet. I'd be willing to bet that ~90-95% of possible II slots haven't been filled. Checking your email like a mad(wo)man isn't going to make you feel any better. As long as you haven't received a rejection letter yet then you're still in the fight. Just remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. If you haven't gotten any II's around thanksgiving, then you can start to THINK about sending update letters to give you a leg-up. Sit back, crack a beer (or whiskey) and enjoy whats left of this summer. It won't be here much longer.
Excellent advice! Easier said than done, though.😉
I must admit, after receiving the II from this school last week I had hoped to get a lot of them this month. I spent a good 3 days checking my email constantly before I realized I would die from neuroticism if I didn't stop. You have nothing to worry about though dude! 7 II's already? save some for us mere mortals!Excellent advice! Easier said than done, though.😉
To everybody worrying, please realize that it is still VERY early in this application cycle. In fact, some schools haven't sent out ANY II's yet. I'd be willing to bet that ~90-95% of possible II slots haven't been filled. Checking your email like a mad(wo)man isn't going to make you feel any better. As long as you haven't received a rejection letter yet then you're still in the fight. Just remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. If you haven't gotten any II's around thanksgiving, then you can start to THINK about sending update letters to give you a leg-up. For now, sit back, crack a beer (or whiskey) and enjoy whats left of this summer. It won't be here much longer. And your next summer will hopefully be spent worrying about school supplies for MSI
RogueBanana out.
![]()
But I can't have beer or whiskey #glutenfreeprobs
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Agreed, BUT a lot of us want the approval of a II to make sure that we do not have any withstanding red flags on our app. I feel like after my first II, I will be in peace knowing that I am actually in the competition. I see where you are coming from, but like @alpha-GTP said, easier said than done.To everybody worrying, please realize that it is still VERY early in this application cycle. In fact, some schools haven't sent out ANY II's yet. I'd be willing to bet that ~90-95% of possible II slots haven't been filled. Checking your email like a mad(wo)man isn't going to make you feel any better. As long as you haven't received a rejection letter yet then you're still in the fight. Just remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. If you haven't gotten any II's around thanksgiving, then you can start to THINK about sending update letters to give you a leg-up. For now, sit back, crack a beer (or whiskey) and enjoy whats left of this summer. It won't be here much longer. And your next summer will hopefully be spent worrying about school supplies for MSI
RogueBanana out.
![]()
Trust me, I thought the same thing until I got my first one. I didn't feel much better after.Agreed, BUT a lot of us want the approval of a II to make sure that we do not have any withstanding red flags on our app. I feel like after my first II, I will be in peace knowing that I am actually in the competition. I see where you are coming from, but like @alpha-GTP said, easier said than done.
I must admit, after receiving the II from this school last week I had hoped to get a lot of them this month. I spent a good 3 days checking my email constantly before I realized I would die from neuroticism if I didn't stop. You have nothing to worry about though dude! 7 II's already? save some for us mere mortals!
You're right. I'm in a better position than most, and I'm grateful for that. That hasn't stopped me from checking my email 2353265636 times since this morning. I think we should all join some sort of email addiction support group LOL.
But I can't have beer or whiskey
How do you tolerate life?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha, really? I feel like I would be ecstatic after my first II? The fear deep inside me is saying I probably have a bad rec. Obviously I am being neurotic, but I can't help it. A II would exterminate that fear in a heartbeat.Trust me, I thought the same thing until I got my first one. I didn't feel much better after.
That fear is valid, I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned about your future! I'm just saying that SDN tends to support a confirmation bias. We think we aren't going to get in, and seeing everyone else get an II only enforces that fear! Especially considering the minority who have already received II's are more likely to post about it than the silent majority who haven't even been reviewed yet! I just don't want anyone else to go down the road I did, checking email obsessively and focusing on literally nothing else. If there is any consensus from the long-term elders of these forums, it is that the application cycle is a crapshoot. There is no rhyme or reason and things do not operate perfectly chronologically (To the dismay of us neurotic pre-meds)Haha, really? I feel like I would be ecstatic after my first II? The fear deep inside me is saying I probably have a bad rec. Obviously I am being neurotic, but I can't help it. A II would exterminate that fear in a heartbeat.
Haha, really? I feel like I would be ecstatic after my first II? The fear deep inside me is saying I probably have a bad rec. Obviously I am being neurotic, but I can't help it. A II would exterminate that fear in a heartbeat.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that can reach this level of neuroticism. After my 1st II, I was partially received that I didn't come off as a complete dumba$$ in my primary and secondaries, and that my LORs weren't total disasters. I also have this irrational fear that I will somehow manage to screw up all these interviews and end up with no acceptances. That would literally be the most pathetic event in modern human civilization. I guess I'll find out in October.🙂
I also have this irrational fear that I will somehow manage to screw up all these interviews and end up with no acceptances. That would literally be the most pathetic event in modern human civilization. I guess I'll find out in October.🙂
I'll bet my kidney that that doesn't happen.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That fear is valid, I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned about your future! I'm just saying that SDN tends to support a confirmation bias. We think we aren't going to get in, and seeing everyone else get an II only enforces that fear! Especially considering the minority who have already received II's are more likely to post about it than the silent majority who haven't even been reviewed yet! I just don't want anyone else to go down the road I did, checking email obsessively and focusing on literally nothing else. If there is any consensus from the long-term elders of these forums, it is that the application cycle is a crapshoot. There is no rhyme or reason and things do not operate perfectly chronologically (To the dismay of us neurotic pre-meds)
Haha yeah I respect that. I totally agree with you. I haven't totally let it take my life over but I would be lying if I said it wasn't on the back of my mind. That being said, I am just waiting for the email rather than logging into portals and all. Thanks for the advice
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm glad I'm not the only one that can reach this level of neuroticism. After my 1st II, I was partially received that I didn't come off as a complete dumba$$ in my primary and secondaries, and that my LORs weren't total disasters. I also have this irrational fear that I will somehow manage to screw up all these interviews and end up with no acceptances. That would literally be the most pathetic event in modern human civilization. I guess I'll find out in October.🙂
I can't bet my own cycle that does not happen! You will kill it! You didn't get 7 IIs for no reason!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
+1. I'll bet my kidney as well, and I was only born with the one.
+1. I'll bet my kidney as well, and I was only born with the one.
Haha well you trumped me.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
There are plenty of gluten free beers, in case you didn't know! Most of which are much better than your traditional supermarket choices.
Yea I've had a couple good ones!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Two different statuses. It changed from the longer complete status (which I had from the very beginning), to a really short under review status this morning
So mine says:
"Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal."
So you're saying there is yet another status change after this??
Lmao yes that;s the one I had 7/19 (when I submitted - was instantly complete) until today when it changed to just "Your file is under review"So mine says:
"Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal."
So you're saying there is yet another status change after this??
So mine says:
"Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal."
So you're saying there is yet another status change after this??
Yes.
Mine said that for a long time then said simply
"Under Review."
I then got an interview.
Lmao yes that;s the one I had 7/19 (when I submitted - was instantly complete) until today when it changed to just "Your file is under review"
Ohhh I didn't even know there was a shorter status lol. I thought it either changes to on hold or you get an II with the super long message being maintained.
Yes.
Mine said that for a long time then said simply
"Under Review."
I then got an interview.
Oh nice! How long on the "under review"?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My status had changed literally overnight. Evening it said complete, next day by early afternoon it said re-review.Complete since 7/19 and my status today changed to "your file is under review"
How long was everyone on this status before a hold or II?
Are you looking to get rid of one? Asking for a friend...
How do you tolerate life?
Can't speak for that guy, but personally I turn to cookies... which is arguably worse.
And yeah, my application was complete 7/26 and is just marked as "complete," so I'm guessing it's sitting around somewhere... maybe visiting the Smithsonian or something.
I gotta pay for this application/interview cycle somehow...Are you looking to get rid of one? Asking for a friend...
Told you that status means good news soon!! Congrats!!!II! Complete 7/19 Lizzym 70, SO PUMPED
Congratulations !II! Complete 7/19 Lizzym 70, SO PUMPED
Congratulations! Were you ever on hold for re-review or did you go straight from complete to an interview invite?II! Complete 7/19 Lizzym 70, SO PUMPED
Edit: Nevermind just saw above. Seriously congrats that's awesome! 🙂
II! Complete 7/19 Lizzym 70, SO PUMPED
Congrats!
EDIT: so it's established that "under review" is where you want to be!!
Feeling the love, thanks guys! I'm hoping for good news from GW for you guys real soon too!
what is the consensus on emailing the admissions committee about your interest in the school because your sibling attending there?
hmmm I would wait for a little bit and send an email as an update....but put more emphasis on what info you learned about GW from your sibling and how gaining that knowledge led you to have interest in attending yourself. Hope that helps!what is the consensus on emailing the admissions committee about your interest in the school because your sibling attending there?
Thanks!!hmmm I would wait for a little bit and send an email as an update....but put more emphasis on what info you learned about GW from your sibling and how gaining that knowledge led you to have interest in attending yourself. Hope that helps!
If I remember correctly, there was an essay on the secondary asking you to explain your interest in GW. You should have mentioned it there. I would wait to hear back from them until october, then if you don't get any news send an update letter including that information.what is the consensus on emailing the admissions committee about your interest in the school because your sibling attending there?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Hopefully the first of many!II! Complete 7/19 Lizzym 70, SO PUMPED
Maybe I'm blind but quick question for those of you who have received II...do we upload the photo/info of ourself into the update section of the portal? Or is there a separate spot that I'm missing? Thxxx
Maybe I'm blind but quick question for those of you who have received II...do we upload the photo/info of ourself into the update section of the portal? Or is there a separate spot that I'm missing? Thxxx
Update.
Make a word doc, put all your info in it and put a photo in the center of the page. Export it to PDF and then send that as an update file.Maybe I'm blind but quick question for those of you who have received II...do we upload the photo/info of ourself into the update section of the portal? Or is there a separate spot that I'm missing? Thxxx
II earlier this morning! I'm so excited because this is my first choice. Good luck to all.
Yesterday, my status changed from "under review" and then I got the interview invite today.
Yesterday, my status changed from "under review" and then I got the interview invite today.