You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Apologies if this has been asked already but for the secondary, do you guys know if they want an exact moment or general explanation of my most meaningful clinical/community experience to date?
I think it can go either way; it's more about HOW you convey it and what you learned from the experience.
Apologies if this has been asked already but for the secondary, do you guys know if they want an exact moment or general explanation of my most meaningful clinical/community experience to date?
I spoke about a specific moment within one of my most meaningful activities.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What does 70 mean?Congrats! Hopefully the first of many!
+1 on hold 🤔
+1 on hold 🤔
When were you complete?
7/25When were you complete?
I'm assuming you're speaking about my Lizzy M Score. It's a metric created by SDN to estimate your competitiveness at medical schools. It takes into account your MCAT and GPA. You can then match this score to the average score of matriculated applicants at the schools of your choice.What does 70 mean?
click this link for more info
http://schools.studentdoctor.net/schools/lizzym_score
have the re-review status... LizzyM 72, complete 7/19
Wondering how often they re-review
Yeah, does anyone know the likelihood of them re-reviewing? Is it pretty much a rejection?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wondering the same thing.. Been on hold here a couple of weeksYeah, does anyone know the likelihood of them re-reviewing? Is it pretty much a rejection?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah, does anyone know the likelihood of them re-reviewing? Is it pretty much a rejection?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wondering the same thing.. Been on hold here a couple of weeks
It was relatively common last cycle, especially for those complete early on (like you guys). It essentially means that they're still interested in your application but that they want to wait to see later apps before making a decision.
Have they sent out any rejections or no? If so then that would make me feel a little more confident that they're at least interested in my app instead of just waiting to send a rejection when the time comes.It was relatively common last cycle, especially for those complete early on (like you guys). It essentially means that they're still interested in your application but that they want to wait to see later apps before making a decision.
Just got an e-mail from GW asking me to consider their MD program. I submitted this secondary a month ago… You already got me focus on someone else hahhaha
Just got an e-mail from GW asking me to consider their MD program. I submitted this secondary a month ago… You already got me focus on someone else hahhaha
You just beat me on that...I'm trying to figure out why they're sending out the letters NOW.
Hahah I was about to post the same thing... like.... I already applied yo. GIMME LOVE.You just beat me on that...I'm trying to figure out why they're sending out the letters NOW.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got this, but they said they knew I was interested because of my inquiry into AAMC's Medical Minority Applicant Registry.Just got an e-mail from GW asking me to consider their MD program. I submitted this secondary a month ago… You already got me focus on someone else hahhaha
I'm a white male, and have never heard of the Medical Minority Applicant Registry...😕
Wishfull thinking got me going "Did they mean to send an II?" [emoji25][emoji29]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Just got an email to apply here. I wasn't planning on it since they get so many apps and my MCAT is just right at their median, but does anyone know if this email means anything? Also have no idea what the medical minority applicant registry is.
Last edited:
Just got an email to apply here. I wasn't planning on it since they get so many apps and my MCAT is just right at their median, but does anyone know if this email means anything? Also have know idea what the medical minority applicant registry is.
Email means nothing. Seems like everyone got that email.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Damn I thought I was a special snowflake.
Damn I thought I was a special snowflake.
All snowflakes are special 😉
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I literally started my primary's personal statement with my most meaningful clinical experience ... so ... would you guys recommend picking another meaningful one (even if not MOST meaningful) or would you recommend expanding further on that particular experience?
I did the former .I literally started my primary's personal statement with my most meaningful clinical experience ... so ... would you guys recommend picking another meaningful one (even if not MOST meaningful) or would you recommend expanding further on that particular experience?
I literally started my primary's personal statement with my most meaningful clinical experience ... so ... would you guys recommend picking another meaningful one (even if not MOST meaningful) or would you recommend expanding further on that particular experience?
I actually used the same one, since it was after all my most meaningful one. I expounded on it more and addressed different aspects of it so as not to sound repetitive. I figured this would show consistency between what was on my primary and secondaries.
Yes, it makes sense that the most meaningful experience would be the same one. But I had seen people saying not to repeat info from the primary and it would have been hard for me to talk about the same one and not use the same important points. So it was much easier for me to go with a different one which was still very meaningful and had a different flavor to it and would talk more about me. I am sure either approach is fine .I actually used the same one, since it was after all my most meaningful one. I expounded on it more and addressed different aspects of it so as not to sound repetitive. I figured this would show consistency between what was on my primary and secondaries.
Yes, it makes sense that the most meaningful experience would be the same one. But I had seen people saying not to repeat info from the primary and it would have been hard for me to talk about the same one and not use the same important points. So it was much easier for me to go with a different one which was still very meaningful and had a different flavor to it and would talk more about me. I am sure either approach is fine .
Yeah, I've seen people suggest both, and I think either one is fine. I was just giving my perspective on what I did. If you can communicate well the reason why the activity is meaningful, I think you'll be fine.
Put on hold on Friday, Lizzy M 70. Let's get those re-reviews underway gdubs.
Complete 07/21 and still just complete. Are they debating my app on the senate floor or something?
Better hope not then nothing will actually get done [emoji38] I'm sure it's fine people's statuses have been changing still
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Better hope not then nothing will actually get done [emoji38] I'm sure it's fine people's statuses have been changing still
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I feel like Merrick Garland at this point.
I feel like Merrick Garland at this point.
I wonder if "Garland" will turn into a kind of colloquial word for dragging something out, like "Bork" did.
+1 I've been complete since 7/25, wondering if my app was lost in the interwebsComplete 07/21 and still just complete. Are they debating my app on the senate floor or something?
S
SirEdwin
Complete 07/21 and still just complete. Are they debating my app on the senate floor or something?
+1 here too... am beginning to wonder if one of my letter of recommendations was missing something...
Has anyone been taken off of hold status and received an II yet?
Any updates?
Oh my god I thought I submitted my secondary back in July but I forgot to pay...I feel so stupid 😡
Received primary back in 6/30...should I even bother to submit now? It's well over a month since I got it sigh
Received primary back in 6/30...should I even bother to submit now? It's well over a month since I got it sigh
Oh my god I thought I submitted my secondary back in July but I forgot to pay...I feel so stupid 😡
Received primary back in 6/30...should I even bother to submit now? It's well over a month since I got it sigh
There's no hard deadline for the secondary, I see no reason at all not to submit
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh my god I thought I submitted my secondary back in July but I forgot to pay...I feel so stupid 😡
Received primary back in 6/30...should I even bother to submit now? It's well over a month since I got it sigh
Do it. You put in the work to complete it. It just may take a little longer to hear back, but you should be okay.
Sorry that happened. :/ It's an easy mistake to make when you're trying to juggle a bunch of apps.
For the most meaningful clinical experience, do people focus on a specific anecdote, or a more general overarching experience? For AMCAS, I talked more generally about my volunteering in the stabilization room. I could easily pick specific anecdotes from within that experience too. But 350 characters is short (even without spaces counted) so I am unsure how to focus this!
I focused on one longitudinal patient experience. Given the precious number of characters you have to work with, I think it may be more beneficial to discuss an anecdote than to rehash a general medical experience but that's just my $0.02, ultimately it's up to you!
Apologies if this has been asked already but for the secondary, do you guys know if they want an exact moment or general explanation of my most meaningful clinical/community experience to date?
I took this as a general experience but I'm sure you can make it work either way. I talked about scribing and how I was able to witness clinical decision making first hand and also draw connections between my SMP courses (physiology, etc) and the clinical correlates that I'd witness in the ED.
Apologies if this has been asked already but for the secondary, do you guys know if they want an exact moment or general explanation of my most meaningful clinical/community experience to date?
I spoke about scribing in a general sense.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 for "on-hold for re-review" I think I was officially complete on 7/25ish(whenever they received all my letters)
+2 OOS applicant. According to last year's thread, some people put on hold still received II so I'm not too worried since it's still early+1 for "on-hold for re-review" I think I was officially complete on 7/25ish(whenever they received all my letters)

+2 OOS applicant. According to last year's thread, some people put on hold still received II so I'm not too worried since it's still early![]()
I like the sunny-side disposition!! I keep telling myself it's also early in the game-- but I keep refreshing and clicking my email like it owes me money.
On hold today. Compete 07/21.
Not worried, just slightly disappointed/annoyed at being on complete for so long.
Two and a half weeks is not a long time at all. 😛
It takes them 6-12 weeks to make a decision post-interview. THAT'S a long time.