2016-2017 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey so I just got the On-hold for re-review message. Just out of curiosity, did anybody get flat out rejected yet? Or has it just been "Under review" "Hold" or "II"?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do they send an email when your status changes from re-review to interview?

Reactions: 1 user
on hold too, submitted 7/17. high mcat low gpa nontrad fwiw.

bummed that it's not an ii, but really impressed with the quick status updates from gw, i find comfort in knowing where i stand

Hey so I just got the On-hold for re-review message. Just out of curiosity, did anybody get flat out rejected yet? Or has it just been "Under review" "Hold" or "II"?
I don't think they reject until later in the year. Pretty sure everyone gets put on hold this early in the cycle.

on hold too, submitted 7/17. high mcat low gpa nontrad fwiw.

bummed that it's not an ii, but really impressed with the quick status updates from gw, i find comfort in knowing where i stand

Damn that's quick! I submitted 7/14 but my final reference letter just got uploaded yesterday. Here's hoping for some news soon :)

Secondary submitted 7/7 but still no change in status. What's going on?!

"Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal."

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted/Complete on 7/15, just got the 'on hold' status change today. Lizzy M 71-72

Secondary today. Submitted AMCAS very recently.

Just submitted. Hoping for good things!

Just submitted but my AMCAS hasn't been verified yet. Submitted that 7/1 :(

Members don't see this ad :)
So the consensus of the "hold" status is that it doesn't really mean that much?

I really wish med schools would be more transparent about their process :eyebrow:

Last edited:
I'm under the impression that they haven't rejected anyone or at least not many people right now. Some folks have certain qualities that align perfectly with what they're looking for and they've gotten interviews. Everyone else has been placed on hold. My thinking is that they'll do a mini review of some, not all, of those on hold applications in a couple of weeks and then decide if they want to reject or invite for interview. As someone who's been placed on hold, I really hope this doesn't mean I'm just gonna be waiting till October for an eventual reject.

Submitted on the 17th, everything is in and ready to go with AMCAS, and still no word on a hold or interview??

Submitted on the 17th, everything is in and ready to go with AMCAS, and still no word on a hold or interview??

Submitted on 14th but last reference letter came in on the 20th (busy psychiatrist who sees 30 pts a day.. I guess I can't blame her). Looks like people who submitted on the 14th got an update by the 22nd, so a 7-8 day turnaround. We should hear later next week by that measure :).

Hi guys! I'm new here and applying to GW. It's more or less my first choice. I'm a little late and my last (but 4th??) rec won't come in until mid-August. This is completely my fault. :oops:
Finishing up the secondaries now--the 350 limit is like getting my teeth pulled or cutting off more nail than I should.
Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone lay down some info on GW? Like its strengths and what not?

The website is as good as it gets..

Edit: The value of each strength/what you consider a strength also depends on what you're looking for in a program.

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted on 14th but last reference letter came in on the 20th (busy psychiatrist who sees 30 pts a day.. I guess I can't blame her). Looks like people who submitted on the 14th got an update by the 22nd, so a 7-8 day turnaround. We should hear later next week by that measure :).

I submitted on the 14th and my status hasn't changed from "complete" as of yet so I'm not sure about that turnaround. I think they may be sending out interviews in waves or something so hopefully we're in the next wave?

Secondary received: June 30
Secondary submitted & complete: July 7

I submitted on the 14th and my status hasn't changed from "complete" as of yet so I'm not sure about that turnaround. I think they may be sending out interviews in waves or something so hopefully we're in the next wave?
Fingers crossed :D

Lizzy M Score 66, and I wasn't? I don't think it's a bad thing, though.
And, it does not mean much. But everyone with the II has not had the hold. And if you do not mind me asking, are you URM/ORM and IS/OOS? I have a LizzyM similar to yours! Just trying to gauge my chances.

II! Complete on 7/18, LizzyM 69,

Last edited:
Congrats! Do you know if you ever went on hold on the portal, or was it straight from complete to interview?

^This. Submitted 14th, complete 18th and still have "You're complete blah blah".

Did you guys receive a "complete" email? I didn't, but my portal says that my file is complete.

I didn't get an email either. It sounds like the only time they send an email is for an II.