2016-2017 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
11/13 sounds really late. I was complete late August and didnt hear back yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah its late , but I wanted to make sure my application was solid so I took my time. Since August? Well that discouraging, I hope you wind up getting a II!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does an application update show up in the portal? I sent in an update but couldn't find the file anywhere. Only says the date the update was submitted.

Reactions: 1 user
Does an application update show up in the portal? I sent in an update but couldn't find the file anywhere. Only says the date the update was submitted.

Same with me. I'm guessing that's just how the portal is.

Ik it has been previously said in this thread Loyola 'likes to feel the love', but should I send in a pre-II update with only my final semester grades to add? I posted a thread about it but the general consensus I got was that it would seem desperate if I had nothing substantial to update.

Ik it has been previously said in this thread Loyola 'likes to feel the love', but should I send in a pre-II update with only my final semester grades to add? I posted a thread about it but the general consensus I got was that it would seem desperate if I had nothing substantial to update.

Just wondering - if you already have a general consensus why would it be different here?
Loyola likes to "feel the love" after you've interviewed and likes to know that they are your first choice. Before interview, interest is assumed.

That being said, I sent in a pre-II update with grades + significant activities + updates on a paper. If you think the grades are good, you can send them in, but honestly either update (yours or mine) is not likely to swing their decision one way or another. If it makes you feel better at the end of the day, forget the haters and send it in. Just don't attach a desperate PLEASE TAKE ME NOTE and be respectful. Good luck ~

If your final semester grades were impressive or bumped up your GPA in any way, I would send

Does Loyola do pre II rejections or do they wait till the end to send out rejections and acceptances?

Does Loyola do pre II rejections or do they wait till the end to send out rejections and acceptances?
I believe it has been stated that Loyola sends rejections near the end of the cycle. As for acceptances, they are sent out throughout the cycle.

Acceptances are rolling, and have been continually given out since 17OCT.
No one has reported a pre-II or post-II rejection yet this cycle yet.

Just wondering - if you already have a general consensus why would it be different here?
Loyola likes to "feel the love" after you've interviewed and likes to know that they are your first choice. Before interview, interest is assumed.

That being said, I sent in a pre-II update with grades + significant activities + updates on a paper. If you think the grades are good, you can send them in, but honestly either update (yours or mine) is not likely to swing their decision one way or another. If it makes you feel better at the end of the day, forget the haters and send it in. Just don't attach a desperate PLEASE TAKE ME NOTE and be respectful. Good luck ~

Just a heads up to others in this situation...Loyola likes to "feel the love" in general--pre and/or post interview. Honestly, if you have something to update them on, update them! Now obviously don't send an update without something new to add to your application---that would be unnecessarily at this time in the cycle. Come the end of the cycle, some do do this (in the form of a letter of intent update), and while some might frown upon this, I don't see any harm if you truly want to attend Loyola--but again, too early in the cycle to do this. But back to the original question--grades ARE considered update worthy, particularly if they're good. While you're sending that update, it wouldn't hurt to throw in any activities you're currently involved in (even if they were listed on your application), just to note that you're STILL involved in them and maybe talk about anything new you have learned from those activities and how that might make you a better applicant. While that update might not "sway their decision one way or another", it does allow for your application to be looked at again, which might lead to an interview.

TL;DR if you have something to update the school on (grades included), do it. Don't worry about "looking desperate"---as long as you aren't literally begging to be let in, no one is going to think that.

Last edited:
The save the date for Second Look was just sent!

Friday, April 7, 2017 - 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed November 1st heard back?

I want to send this school an update letter. Has anyone else done so? did you get positive feedback?

Right now I simply have a letterhead with my contact details and amcas ID followed by a simple...

Dear members of the admissions committee:

is this a typical standard, or should I address it to someone specific like the director of admissions or something like that?

I want to send this school an update letter. Has anyone else done so? did you get positive feedback?

Right now I simply have a letterhead with my contact details and amcas ID followed by a simple...

Dear members of the admissions committee:

is this a typical standard, or should I address it to someone specific like the director of admissions or something like that?

That's essentially what I did post-interview. I addressed it to Darrell Nabers who's the Director of Admissions, but I'm sure addressing it to the whole adcom is fine.

I haven't. I'll call on Thursday when they take calls!

Hi -- did you happen to call the admissions office? I was "continued" after interviewing in early September and I'm not sure if there's hope for an acceptance on 12/15 or if I'll just be waitlisted/rejected at the end of the cycle.

Any advice for someone interviewing on thursday??

Does anyone know what it means if your status is "completed review" but you haven't been accepted? Is that the equivalent of waitlist? Any hope for 12/15 if this is your status?

That's essentially what I did post-interview. I addressed it to Darrell Nabers who's the Director of Admissions, but I'm sure addressing it to the whole adcom is fine.

Ok, thank you v much! Yeah I'll address it to the whole committee since this is a pre interview one, but I've done a ton of EC's since applying. So I'm hoping to bring notice to my application while they review for the last few months of interview season. Really hoping they send one on, Loyola is my top choice.

Ok, thank you v much! Yeah I'll address it to the whole committee since this is a pre interview one, but I've done a ton of EC's since applying. So I'm hoping to bring notice to my application while they review for the last few months of interview season. Really hoping they send one on, Loyola is my top choice.

Make sure to highlight any service ECs, and try to tie them into Stritch's mission. When I interviewed they seemed very sincere about both their Jesuit mission as well as wanting to see the applicant is genuinely interested in the school.

Does anyone know what it means if your status is "completed review" but you haven't been accepted? Is that the equivalent of waitlist? Any hope for 12/15 if this is your status?

When did you interview? Did it used to say something about your interview has been completed... thanks for visiting, etc?

Hi -- did you happen to call the admissions office? I was "continued" after interviewing in early September and I'm not sure if there's hope for an acceptance on 12/15 or if I'll just be waitlisted/rejected at the end of the cycle.

I did call, I was never continued though. Apparently my interviewers took about 2 months to submit their post-interview eval forms, so my interview file was just marked as complete. I'll either be continued or accepted at this round, hopefully.

I did call, I was never continued though. Apparently my interviewers took about 2 months to submit their post-interview eval forms, so my interview file was just marked as complete. I'll either be continued or accepted at this round, hopefully.

What is "continued"?

Make sure to highlight any service ECs, and try to tie them into Stritch's mission. When I interviewed they seemed very sincere about both their Jesuit mission as well as wanting to see the applicant is genuinely interested in the school.

Yeah I am very heavily going into my EC's I went to a Jesuit institution for undergrad and had an amazing experience with their values. It is the major reason that stritch is my no. 1.

Yeah I am very heavily going into my EC's I went to a Jesuit institution for undergrad and had an amazing experience with their values. It is the major reason that stritch is my no. 1.
I'm just doing it for the pizza :oops:

What is "continued"?

According to what they told us during interview day it's like half-way between an acceptance and waitlist. Essentially they will continue to review your file and decide if they want to accept you based on the applicant pool or new information. If that still does not work out for you, you will eventually go on the official waitlist.

This is based off of a brief talk during my interview. If someone knows the process at a more official level I would love to know more

Last edited:

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the response! If anyone else has any info about the chances of acceptance after being "continued" I'd love to know more! Thinking about calling them myself but seems like they'll be busy on Thursday with their own calls.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the response! If anyone else has any info about the chances of acceptance after being "continued" I'd love to know more! Thinking about calling them myself but seems like they'll be busy on Thursday with their own calls.
No clue as to chances, but I'd recommend writing an update letter. During my interview they mentioned how much they like to "feel the love". I wouldn't totally BS it, but if you have relevant new experiences etc, I'd let them know.

Reactions: 1 users
No clue as to chances, but I'd recommend writing an update letter. During my interview they mentioned how much they like to "feel the love". I wouldn't totally BS it, but if you have relevant new experiences etc, I'd let them know.

Yep, I've actually submitted 2 update letters since my interview! Hopefully those will help.

EEEEE!! Accepted via phone call just now! Very excited!

Reactions: 8 users
Just got the phone call!!!!! Interviewed on November 1st, 3.8/3.95/512.

Reactions: 6 users
this waiting to maybe receive a phone call is torture.

Reactions: 3 users
Loyola send me some looooooove !! :love::luck:

Yikes! I was going to apply to this school late but glad I didn't as so many interviews have gone out already. Hoping you guys get accepted!!

Hi everyone. I had originally decided to not send my secondary in, esp bc of my stats, OOS status, and lack of ties. it would be way too late to send it in now, correct? congrats to everyone who has received interviews!

Hi everyone. I had originally decided to not send my secondary in, esp bc of my stats, OOS status, and lack of ties. it would be way too late to send it in now, correct? congrats to everyone who has received interviews!

Every time someone asks that question I always tell them to apply anyway! Loyola is a private school so IS/OOS isn't THAT heavily looked upon. If you have the money to spend on their application, I would do it. It definitely can't hurt. But I would send it in today! :) best of luck to you!

Every time someone asks that question I always tell them to apply anyway! Loyola is a private school so IS/OOS isn't THAT heavily looked upon. If you have the money to spend on their application, I would do it. It definitely can't hurt. But I would send it in today! :) best of luck to you!

Aw thank you for the advice! I'll send it in today then. Appreciate the help!

Anybody complete beginning of September get an interview or hear anything back? I've gotten nothing but complete silence. Show me some love Loyola!

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody complete beginning of September get an interview or hear anything back? I've gotten nothing but complete silence. Show me some love Loyola!

I was complete in July, and complete silence too for me too

Reactions: 9 users