2016-2017 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody get a portal update post interview?

Members don't see this ad.

got the call earlier this afternoon :cat::soexcited::love: interviewed 11/3:woot:

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised to see all the recent acceptances...I could have sworn they told us they were accepted some people Oct 17th and then some more December 15th.

Regardless, congrats to all and I hope I'm next :)

I'm surprised to see all the recent acceptances...I could have sworn they told us they were accepted some people Oct 17th and then some more December 15th.

It is December 15th now lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone know if they're making calls today then if they called people yesterday??

Reactions: 1 user
Awaiting the verdict... lol. Interviewed november 1st.... so nervous

Anyone know if they're making calls today then if they called people yesterday??
This is a total guess, but I'm thinking they started early because December they have to cover so many people versus October which had less interviewees

I interviewed the last week of September and got my acceptance call on 10/25. I don't know who and how and when admissions decide to call. :confused:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I have been on the "currently undergoing a review by our committee" status since mid-August. Does anyone know what this means? I have been going back and forth with myself on whether or not to call the admissions office. Has anyone called them recently? I called them back in October and I just got told the same thing as my status (I was hoping for a little more info lol) so I am hesitant to call them again and get the same answer. I probably just need to chill out.

Reactions: 3 users
So I have been on the "currently undergoing a review by our committee" status since mid-August. Does anyone know what this means? I have been going back and forth with myself on whether or not to call the admissions office. Has anyone called them recently? I called them back in October and I just got told the same thing as my status (I was hoping for a little more info lol) so I am hesitant to call them again and get the same answer. I probably just need to chill out.
If this is pre-II there isn't much you can do other than sending in an update letter. If this is post-II what this status means is that your interviewers haven't sent in their review materials and you have to wait for the next adcom meeting for them to decide your fate!

Congrats everyone!! Interviewed 11/8. Waiting to hear back

Congrats to everyone recently accepted!

Last edited:
I find it very odd how no one has shared their acceptance yesterday when the school said December 15th would be one of the announcement days.

I got an email that my status was updated. I logged in and it just says my app is complete and will continue to be considered for the rest of the cycle.

Is this a wait list?

I got an email that my status was updated. I logged in and it just says my app is complete and will continue to be considered for the rest of the cycle.

Is this a wait list?
Me too! I think it's their continued consideration so they re-evaluate at the next meeting

Is this a wait list?

From the way they explained it during my interview day it's like half-way between a wait list and acceptance. They'll look at your app again the next time the committee meets. The official wait-list doesn't begin until April.

When did you get the email?

From the way they explained it during my interview day it's like half-way between a wait list and acceptance. They'll look at your app again the next time the committee meets. The official wait-list doesn't begin until April.

When did you get the email?

Just now

I called and they said I will hear back in January. Does that mean they have not reviewed me?

II just now! Very surprised, God is Good.

Reactions: 10 users
totally unexpected, and my first ever, II on friday; complete at the end of august

Reactions: 19 users
Anyone know how what percentage of people are accepted post-interview?

Anyone know how what percentage of people are accepted post-interview?

I have heard it's high, around 60-75%. Per MSAR they interviewed 480 for a matriculated class of 159 (but that's matriculants not accepted students).

I'm also curious what the breakdown is of waitlist acceptances vs acceptances directly after interview. Anyone else have insight?

Per MSAR, it states that the grading system is Pass Fail. Did it change from Honors, HP, Pass, and Fail? Can any current students or those who recently interviewed can chime in?

Thanks!

Per MSAR, it states that the grading system is Pass Fail. Did it change from Honors, HP, Pass, and Fail? Can any current students or those who recently interviewed can chime in?

Thanks!

M2! All 4 years are graded using the honors/HP/ Pass/ Fail grading system. Some classes, particularly PCM (our doctoring classes) are graded Pass/Fail, however majority of the other classes are graded H/HP/P/F and are uncurved (meaning anyone who wants to honor can do so--there are no percentage cut-offs). Suggestions to move to a P/F grading system for preclinical years was brought to the committee's attention last year, however they decided to keep their current system (as far as I know!) Hope that helps!

M2! All 4 years are graded using the honors/HP/ Pass/ Fail grading system. Some classes, particularly PCM (our doctoring classes) are graded Pass/Fail, however majority of the other classes are graded H/HP/P/F and are uncurved (meaning anyone who wants to honor can do so--there are no percentage cut-offs). Suggestions to move to a P/F grading system for preclinical years was brought to the committee's attention last year, however they decided to keep their current system (as far as I know!) Hope that helps!

Thanks for answering! How do you feel about this grading system? If it was P/F do you think there would be less competition or stress on the students?

Can you explain more about the percentage cut offs? Is it like if you get a 90 above then you Honor and so forth and so forth?

Why did the committee vote against the P/F curriculum and is it up for discussions again this year?

Thanks for commenting because I did not understand the P/F in the MSAR book.

anyone know where I can find more info about Loyola's curriculum or just any information about the school in general? The website is curiously lacking in this regard. thanks!

Darn thats kind of tough.. how does everyone (students) feel about that? is it possible for a new motion to move towards P/F?

Thanks for answering! How do you feel about this grading system? If it was P/F do you think there would be less competition or stress on the students?
Can you explain more about the percentage cut offs? Is it like if you get a 90 above then you Honor and so forth and so forth?
Why did the committee vote against the P/F curriculum and is it up for discussions again this year?
Thanks for commenting because I did not understand the P/F in the MSAR book.
Darn thats kind of tough.. how does everyone (students) feel about that? is it possible for a new motion to move towards P/F?

I'm personally indifferent to the grading system. I think our grading system keeps me accountable and forces me to keep up with the material, but I think a P/F system would be a little less stressful and allow me to learn for the sake of learning rather than memorizing little details that might show up on a class exam but not a boards exam. However, because there are no percentage cut offs in terms of how many people can honor, I don't think our grading system creates any competition between students--quite the opposite actually! We all share study guides, flashcards, notes, tips & tricks with each other! Anyone who wants to honor a class and puts in the effort to do so can. I think with a H/HP/P/F system, that's as good as it gets!

Percentage cut offs of H/HP/P/F depends on the class. Some classes have 92% as the cut off for honors, and some classes have 90% as the cut off. Likewise, some classes have 80% as the cut off for high pass, and some have 84.5% as the cut off. Every class has 70% as the cut off for passing. The percentage cutoffs are stated in the syllabus, so you know before starting a class what the grading scale will be.

Why did the committee vote against P/F? According to an email that was sent out, they did a lot of research and believed that the current system (i.e. honors, high pass, pass, fail) was best. All students are graded during 3rd and 4th year rotations according to that system, so they wanted us to become better prepared for that and have accountability for our performance. Not sure if it will be up for discussion again this year, although it seems unlikely. It doesn't seem like the school is pushing for a P/F curriculum, although there is a new dean, so anything can happen. As for the students, I think a lot of people would like a P/F system, but you don't really hear people complaining about it. The exams are fair, and anyone that wants to honor can, so it doesn't seem to be a huge issue (although obviously it has been brought up and discussed).

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 4 users
anyone know where I can find more info about Loyola's curriculum or just any information about the school in general? The website is curiously lacking in this regard. thanks!

bump?

So what would be the format of an application update? Should it be more in the style of a letter? Or should I try and format it like it is in the primary application?
Hi,
Whom did you address the update letter to? Did you put it in your portal or send it to someone personal e-mail? Thank you for your time!

Hi,
Whom did you address the update letter to? Did you put it in your portal or send it to someone personal e-mail? Thank you for your time!

I uploaded mine on the portal, and I think I addressed it to "Admissions Committee" or "Admissions Staff." Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile