2016-2017 Meharry Medical College Application Thread

Started by freak7
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone from the past every gotten a II from the "underreview" email or this is another way to get a rejection?
 
My under review email came this past friday & I was nevous all weekend & then bam on monday the II came in. It is not a bad sign at all.
Was your under review email after you submitted a secondary? If so, how long did it take for you to get a secondary invitation
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After you confirm you want to attend a proposed interview date from MMC did you guys get a follow up email from Meharry acknowledging your choice?
 
I got an email saying my application is now complete and is ready to be forwarded to the admissions committee. Is that the "under review" email ?
 
I got an email saying my application is now complete and is ready to be forwarded to the admissions committee. Is that the "under review" email ?
I'm not sure. Mine didn't specifically say it was being forwarded to the admissions committee. I was basically thank you for taking the time to fill out application. Due to large pool of applicants there's been a delay in processing and your application is under review.
 
I'm not sure. Mine didn't specifically say it was being forwarded to the admissions committee. I was basically thank you for taking the time to fill out application. Due to large pool of applicants there's been a delay in processing and your application is under review.

Do they screen before sending secondaries? That might be the "review" we're under. The website says "all eligible applicants"will be sent a secondary...
 
Do they screen before sending secondaries? That might be the "review" we're under. The website says "all eligible applicants"will be sent a secondary...

Yes they sent me a secondary about two and half weeks after that email. I wonder what that screen is based on.
 
I have a question about the college net site, so after submitting your supplemental, did it give you dates when started and submitted or started, submitted and confirmed?
 
I have a question about the college net site, so after submitting your supplemental, did it give you dates when started and submitted or started, submitted and confirmed?

There will be dates for each section, depending on where you are at in the process. 'Started' for when you initially begin the secondary, 'Sent' after you Pay + submit it, then the 'confirmed 'appeared for me 4 days later. The night I noticed the confirmed appear was when I got the " Your application is now complete and is ready to be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for final review and interview consideration."

hope that helps!
 
Last edited:
There will be dates for each section, depending on where you are at in the process. Started for when you initially begin the secondary, Sent after you Pay + submit it, then the confirmed appeared for me 4 days later. The night I noticed the confirmed appear was when I got the " Your application is now complete and is ready to be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for final review and interview consideration."

hope that helps!
Thank you so much for clarifying it for me. It took two weeks for me to get the "online form" email, and it has not been confirmed yet. I just have to keep waiting.
 
I'm not sure. Mine didn't specifically say it was being forwarded to the admissions committee. I was basically thank you for taking the time to fill out application. Due to large pool of applicants there's been a delay in processing and your application is under review.


So I got the following ...i got the paid verification, then the thanks for submitting now your application is blah blah blah...then recently i got another email saying they are overwhelmed with applications and that my app is currently underreview
 
So I got the following ...i got the paid verification, then the thanks for submitting now your application is blah blah blah...then recently i got another email saying they are overwhelmed with applications and that my app is currently underreview
I got the same emails I've been complete since 9/12 and no II yet
 
I got the same emails I've been complete since 9/12 and no II yet

I don't know if this is the same email you guys are talking about, but the last email I go after submitting my secondary is this,

Thank you for completing your online application. This email confirms that you have successfully submitted your form. Your fine will be complete when admission has received all of the required admission documents... it goes on and on...

My question is this: do you get another email after your application is completed? When I check the status of my application, it just says 'submitted' and nothing else.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I don't know if this is the same email you guys are talking about, but the last email I go after submitting my secondary is this,

Thank you for completing your online application. This email confirms that you have successfully submitted your form. Your fine will be complete when admission has received all of the required admission documents... it goes on and on...

My question is this: do you get another email after your application is completed? When I check the status of my application, it just says 'submitted' and nothing else.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, you will receive the following email once they "Confirm" your application:

"Dear Applicant:

On behalf of the School of Medicine Admissions Committee, we wish to thank you for the time and effort taken in submitting your application for admission to the School of Medicine at Meharry Medical College.

We are writing to acknowledge receipt of your verified AMCAS application including MCAT scores, Meharry Medical College Supplemental Application, and letters of recommendation. Your application is now complete and is ready to be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for final review and interview consideration.

You will receive written communication indicating the Admissions Committee's decision. There is no need to contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment until the Admissions Committee's review is complete as this seriously delays the process.

Thank you for your interest in Meharry Medical College.
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
Meharry Medical College"


Confirmed will also be updated on their portal. Now it likely just says "Started" and "Sent" for ya.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, you will receive the following email once they "Confirm" your application:

"Dear Applicant:

On behalf of the School of Medicine Admissions Committee, we wish to thank you for the time and effort taken in submitting your application for admission to the School of Medicine at Meharry Medical College.

We are writing to acknowledge receipt of your verified AMCAS application including MCAT scores, Meharry Medical College Supplemental Application, and letters of recommendation. Your application is now complete and is ready to be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for final review and interview consideration.

You will receive written communication indicating the Admissions Committee's decision. There is no need to contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment until the Admissions Committee's review is complete as this seriously delays the process.

Thank you for your interest in Meharry Medical College.
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
Meharry Medical College"


Confirmed will also be updated on their portal. Now it likely just says "Started" and "Sent" for ya.


thank you so much!
 
Guys, I don't think the email is good or bad, nor is it for certain applicants. It honestly seemed like a neutral update to let all applicants know, "Hey, we haven't forgotten about you, just super busy and a little overwhelmed". I welcome the update and am happy they sent something instead of just allowing the radio silence to torment us.

If you've already submitted your secondary, there's not much else you can do at this point. Just let the chips where they may. 🙂
 
On behalf of the School of Medicine Admissions Committee, I wish to thank you for the time and effort taken in submitting your application for admission to the School of Medicine at Meharry Medical College.


Please be advised that your file is currently under review. Due to the unusually large volume of applications that we are receiving for the 2017 Admissions cycle, there has been a delay in the processing.


Thank you again for applying and you can be assured that once processing of your file is complete, written communication will be sent to you.
 
Mine said:

We are writing to acknowledge receipt of your verified AMCAS application including MCAT scores, Meharry Medical College Supplemental Application, and letters of recommendation. Your application is now complete and is ready to be forwarded to the Admissions Committee for final review and interview consideration.

You will receive written communication indicating the Admissions Committee's decision.
 
On behalf of the School of Medicine Admissions Committee, I wish to thank you for the time and effort taken in submitting your application for admission to the School of Medicine at Meharry Medical College.


Please be advised that your file is currently under review. Due to the unusually large volume of applications that we are receiving for the 2017 Admissions cycle, there has been a delay in the processing.


Thank you again for applying and you can be assured that once processing of your file is complete, written communication will be sent to you.

Did you get that email too?
 
I'll be praying for all of you ! I haven't had an interview yet but I also only submitted my secondary a few weeks ago so I don't know what to think. How was the interview experience for those that have had one?
 
Wasn't there somebody on here that said they got rejected and no secondary because they didn't meet the screen requirements? I wonder what that consisted of


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got rejected pre-secondary because I didn't meet their screen requirements which confused me because it was my only instance of being screened out based on min gpa+mcat (3.93 postbacc sgpa+ 503 mcat) and when I emailed them I got this response "Please be advised that with the new admissions cycle for the 2017 entering class, the Medical Admissions Committee has raised the parameters for competitiveness. It is preferred that an applicant has a minimum of 2.8 undergraduate GPA and/or a minimum MCAT scores of 490 to receive an invitation to submit the Supplemental Application. A competitive minimum undergraduate GPA is 3.00 - 3.5 and a minimum competitive MCAT is 498. The committee also does a holistic review of the individual’s entire profile."

Maybe someone else understands because when I responded they told me that they also do a holistic review which made me feel like they were just telling me they didn't like me
 
I got rejected pre-secondary because I didn't meet their screen requirements which confused me because it was my only instance of being screened out based on min gpa+mcat (3.93 postbacc sgpa+ 503 mcat) and when I emailed them I got this response "Please be advised that with the new admissions cycle for the 2017 entering class, the Medical Admissions Committee has raised the parameters for competitiveness. It is preferred that an applicant has a minimum of 2.8 undergraduate GPA and/or a minimum MCAT scores of 490 to receive an invitation to submit the Supplemental Application. A competitive minimum undergraduate GPA is 3.00 - 3.5 and a minimum competitive MCAT is 498. The committee also does a holistic review of the individual’s entire profile."

Maybe someone else understands because when I responded they told me that they also do a holistic review which made me feel like they were just telling me they didn't like me

I mean clearly because your stats aren't bad. I still haven't received a secondary. But it says "preferred" which means that that's not even a end all be all. How long after you submitted your primary did you get the email?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I mean clearly because your stats aren't bad. I still haven't received a secondary. But it says "preferred" which means that that's not even a end all be all. How long after you submitted your primary did you get the email?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I submitted my primary in june but was waiting for my first MCAT score so I wasn't complete until the beginning of august and I got that email about a month after my score was released.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly I feel that your personal statement & Secondary essay, & Exp with the underserved are the biggest factors in getting an interview. Numers matter too but are only a chunk of the puzzle.
 
I got rejected pre-secondary because I didn't meet their screen requirements which confused me because it was my only instance of being screened out based on min gpa+mcat (3.93 postbacc sgpa+ 503 mcat) and when I emailed them I got this response "Please be advised that with the new admissions cycle for the 2017 entering class, the Medical Admissions Committee has raised the parameters for competitiveness. It is preferred that an applicant has a minimum of 2.8 undergraduate GPA and/or a minimum MCAT scores of 490 to receive an invitation to submit the Supplemental Application. A competitive minimum undergraduate GPA is 3.00 - 3.5 and a minimum competitive MCAT is 498. The committee also does a holistic review of the individual’s entire profile."

Maybe someone else understands because when I responded they told me that they also do a holistic review which made me feel like they were just telling me they didn't like me
It sounds like you met the cut offs. I would definitely call maybe they made an error :/
 
Is there an official class thread yet? Also, has anyone started to think about housing? I forgot to ask the M2 students about what they recommend and such.