2016-2017 Michigan State University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

+1 Alternate List. Interviewed 10/21. Kind of surprised by the quick turnaround. Not doubting that they did a thorough evaluation but nonetheless shocked to hear a decision was made that quickly for all who interviewed last week.

Did they email you or did they just change your status on the portal?

Also interviewd 10/21, still didn't hear anything

Have you heard anything back yet? How'd you think the interview went?
 
People cancel interviews all the time. If you want an earlier date, I suggest calling admissions and 1) see if they have an earlier date 2) ask if they can contact you if they get an opening. I did the latter at another school and was able to move that interview from January to next week, after roughly a week's wait.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
People cancel interviews all the time. If you want an earlier date, I suggest calling admissions and 1) see if they have an earlier date 2) ask if they can contact you if they get an opening. I did the latter at another school and was able to move that interview from January to next week, after roughly a week's wait.

I wanted to do that but didn't want to seem too impatient
 
Did they email you or did they just change your status on the portal?



Have you heard anything back yet? How'd you think the interview went?

Nah haven't heard back yet. I thought it went fine, probably a little above average. The thing is I went to their website and they said that the committee looks at interviewees' files in random order basically. They said not to be worried if someone from November hears back before someone from October, because there is no fixed order. Once they do look at your file, you'll get an update within 24 hours. So not hearing back yet just means that they haven't reviewed my file yet.
 
Do you think they'll still be reviewing apps and releasing calls tomorrow even though it's election day?
 
Do you think they'll still be reviewing apps and releasing calls tomorrow even though it's election day?

These are the dates they release application statuses -- IIs don't seem to follow this schedule though:

Admissions Committee Decision Notification Dates for the 2016-2017 cycle are as follows:

FALL SPRING
October 19 January 18
October 26 February 1
November 2 February 22
Novermber 9 February 29
November 30 March 29
December 14 April 5
April 19 (EA)
 
Can anyone who interviewed in Grand Rapids please share if they parked in the ramp off of Division Street or Michigan Avenue? The website is not very specific.
Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a reminder email the day before my interview spelling out details again on location, parking, timing, etc.

Thanks! They sent me one yesterday for my interview tomorrow. I was just getting antsy I guess.

I'm not sure, when is your interview and when? My interview is coming up and I honestly have no clue what to expect for the MMIs lol

Check out their website and the info about their interview. They are the most up front about their interview process and MMI than any other school I have interviewed at.
http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/ApplicationProcess/current/interviews.htm
 
Thanks! They sent me one yesterday for my interview tomorrow. I was just getting antsy I guess.



Check out their website and the info about their interview. They are the most up front about their interview process and MMI than any other school I have interviewed at.
http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/ApplicationProcess/current/interviews.htm

I agree... the MMI was definitely introduced fairly and they were extremely open about it. I truly thought it was the most fun MMI I have attended thus far.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question everyone -- does MSU require Orgo 1 and 2, both with labs? I took Orgo 1 + lab & Orgo 2. I haven't taken Orgo 2 lab yet and honestly do not want to deal with a 8 AM 4 hour lab my last semester of undergrad >.>
 
Last edited:
Quick question everyone -- does MSU require Orgo 1 and 2, both with labs? I took Orgo 1 + lab & Orgo 2. I haven't taken Orgo 2 lab yet and honestly do not want to deal with a 8 AM 4 hour lab my last semester of undergrad >.>
This is from MSAR for MSU CHM

MSU.PNG

But it really depends on which prereq model you selected on your secondary and if orgo is even required.
The MCAT influenced model requires 1 year of orgo. So I think you should be fine.

http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/ApplicationProcess/future/prereq_models.htm
 
Me! I am a little nervous. Especially for the MMIs. But I'm just going to give it my best and hope it goes well!! 🙂


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Me too!!! A little nervous but excited. Does anyone know what time the day ends or if they provide lunch? I don't have access to a computer at the moment and finding all the information on my phone has been tricky.
 
Me! I am a little nervous. Especially for the MMIs. But I'm just going to give it my best and hope it goes well!! 🙂


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Me too!!! A little nervous but excited. Does anyone know what time the day ends or if they provide lunch? I don't have access to a computer at the moment and finding all the information on my phone has been tricky.

Never mind ! I found the information. This has been posted before but I am posting again for anyone new to the thread. The schedule is on the right side of the page. 🙂

http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/ApplicationProcess/current/interviews.htm
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad